• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

I always love to retrospectively read GAF's prediction threads and see how many crows are being served, the thread placing WiiU/XB first and Sony disappearing or failing with the PS4 before this gen started is so much fun!

So now that we have enough details about the price, specs, launch line up and upcoming games, how do you think the Switch would fair? will it be Nintendo's last console? will it be a big success and their strategy going forward for the next good years?

To make it more specific and interesting write down how many units do you expect this to sell through its lifetimie.

GAF tell me what you think!

(Englsh is not my first language so I'm sorry in advance for any mistakes)

jonno394

Wii U numbers at launch, worse than Wii U numbers for first year.

Dependent on the software, price cuts etc, it may get a 3DS style resurgence during Year 2 to enjoy acceptable sales.

Nintendo gonna bring out a "new handheld" in 2-3 years.

edit - when all is said and done:

No 3DS ressurgence: Lifetime sales of 10m or less
3DS ressurgence: 18-22m

I think it's possible but it's going to be a very steep uphill battle. It's hard to predict how the market will react. Especially after the huge flop that was the wii u there might be some thirst for this system. But on the flip side there might be a lot of people who are over Nintendo.

Considering this is replacing the 3DS and home console, I say in the long run it will be mildly successful as the best case scenario. Also would not be surprised if it completely bombs though.

SuperSah

Banned
Super excited about the Switch, but it won't be a runaway success I feel. It'll do better than the Wii U, but how much better?

Nonetheless, i'm there day one :p

GOOCHY

That price makes it tougher. The accessories are over priced too. It would be easier to swallow if the only interesting launch game weren't Zelda. That's it, though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Before the Switch event I thought it will be a success. On different levels depending on the price and launch line-up.

Now I think it will sell decently in March and it will drop like a bomb in April and May, leading Nintendo to reactive measures AGAIN.

Then, they might turn it around or not.

El-Suave

Better than Wii U for sure but it won't be many people's first or only console. The interesting question is if it will be succesful enough to be the successor of the 3DS.

Not without some serious changes and about faces by Nintendo. Unfortunately I don't think they are capable of admitting when they are wrong and haven't seemed to have learned much. So... It's going to be a really tough fight.

Plum

If you asked me ten hours ago I'd have said yes.

Right now I'm saying fuck no. I'm fully expecting this to be another Wii U type situation; which is fine for me when the price drops, but it's not going to be anywhere close to a huge success.

Absolutely not. I think it'll do slightly better than Wii U because there's no 3DS to buy instead, but that presentation yesterday was really unfocused and showed that Nintendo has no idea what went wrong with the Wii U.

Some of you are just making whatever switch thread comes to mind, huh? I dunno. Maybe? We still don't know many details. How should I know?
That's kind of the problem. It comes out in a few weeks and we don't have many details.

Aleh

Eventually yes, but right know the price of everything (not just the console) is way too steep.

Edit: Hello people from the future. Looks like I was half right, I was (still am) just too poor to realize price isn't an issue for most people lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom