• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Foxxsoxx

Honestly the easiest way to improve IQ's gadget would be to make the scanner a Head mounted device like Jackal's visor.

Eh think she would be fine being able to disable a device every minute or so with it, pretty much 'hacking' it but you have to be stationary for like 3 seconds for it to destroy it. So like a Thatcher that can see through walls and disable but with a long cooldown that has to be used very wisely, especially in Ranked. You'd basically use it once, maybe twice. Though that would make her a bit powerful so if that happened I wouldn't mind her frags getting replaced and given to someone more needing of them like Blitz or Capitao. She's basically only used for Valk and the very occasional Pulse right now but is a Fragger 95% of the time which is very boring.

ALSO HOT DAMN I'M HAVING SOME AWFUL MATCHES TONIGHT.

Disgraced

let's examine this

Why does only Yung's dossier mention the personal relationship with Echo?

Was that recorded and added to her's specifically by the Rainbow Six Overlord because he has a crush and wants to mack on her?

Or are they going to amend Echo's?

Or is it only the female character whose profile involves romance?

PS: Don't worry fellas, I'm sure they'll keep IQ and Ash single so you don't have to think about any other digital dicks obstructing your way and clouding your mind.

At least she is not bi or gay, yet.

Ash fall into not your normal girl

IQ is the cute girl with pink colors because reasons

The others girls are huh, ok

Kalentan

Got team killed in Rank for 'stealing' a kill.

Just... Uggggghhhhh.....

The placement matches this season are just full of awful players. Lots of leavers. Fifth game in a row with a leaver.

It's even more maddening when I play with people who are lv +100!

It's like if you've played that much you must have learned how to play the game sometime during that!?

nOoblet16

Lighting is a very critical component missing from this game, and that can only be added with a hardware upgrade.
What do you mean missing? Most of the stuff you are talking about is already in place.

Having lighting and destruction is hard, but imagine having light seep into areas based on destruction, shadows, etc.
This already happens, it's why they have a real time lighting system in place. Light from one room will light up another room if there's a breach and also cast new shadows. Yes you don't see tiny rays of lights through peep holes because game doesn't use volumetric lighting (which it was originally going to have but was too distracting).

At the least, they should be able to add destroying lights, operators that use lights like floodlights or Night Vision goggles, etc.i

Actually the game already has the ability to turn off every single light. Don't believe me? Try shooting a light and you'll see it starts to flicker on and off and when it's off it "unlits" the area it's lighting up. Still don't believe me? Throw an emp grenade and you'll see lights go out temporarily resulting in the affected area being unlit. If they wanted to they can provide the players with the ability to permanently turn off the lights but again, it's probably going to cause balancing issues with the current maps and operators.

Got team killed in Rank for 'stealing' a kill.

Just... Uggggghhhhh.....

The placement matches this season are just full of awful players. Lots of leavers. Fifth game in a row with a leaver.

It's even more maddening when I play with people who are lv +100!

It's like if you've played that much you must have learned how to play the game sometime during that!?

The problem is you're playing placement matches in the last week of the season. You were bound to have an awful experience in every way :p
The unranked pool is much smaller and much more shitty at this time.

What do you mean missing? Most of the stuff you are talking about is already in place.

This already happens, it's why they have a real time lighting system in place. Light from one room will light up another room if there's a breach and also cast new shadows. Yes you don't see tiny rays of lights through peep holes because game doesn't use volumetric lighting (which it was originally going to have but was too distracting).

Actually the game already has the ability to turn off every single light. Don't believe me? Try shooting a light and you'll see it starts to flicker on and off and when it's off it "unlits" the area it's lighting up. Still don't believe me? Throw an emp grenade and you'll see lights go out temporarily resulting in the affected area being unlit. If they wanted to they can provide the players with the ability to permanently turn off the lights but again, it's probably going to cause balancing issues with the current maps and operators.

That's not quite right. The lighting system is actually baked in, not dynamic. the EMP grenades make it seem darker because they disable the light source but the actual lighting and shadows around it remain unchanged.

Only character models give off dynamic shadows too.

I'm sure it was covered in one of CoreRoss's mythbuster videos. I'm also certain you can find a lengthy post about it on Reddit too. Failing all that, go into a custom game with thatcher and throw an EMP in a well lit room, the room will remain well lit.

nOoblet16

That's not quite right. The lighting system is actually baked in, not dynamic. the EMP grenades make it seem darker because they disable the light source but the actual lighting and shadows around it remain unchanged.

Only character models give off dynamic shadows too.

I'm sure it was covered in one of CoreRoss's mythbuster videos. I'm also certain you can find a lengthy post about it on Reddit too. Failing all that, go into a custom game with thatcher and throw an EMP in a well lit room, the room will remain well lit.
If it makes it seem darker because they disable the light source then isn't that proof that the light source was dynamic and lighting up the area in real time? Granted post emp the area is still lit in some ways and the shadows might not change but that's more due to the fact that there are other light sources in the area as well, unaffected by emp, and not every light in the game is a shadow casting light source. Basically the room still being lit post emp is not really evidence of primarily baked lighting because if 2 out of 5 lights in a room are disabled then the room will still be lit but there will be a relatively darker area in the place where the 2 disabled lights were. If it was possible to turn all of them at once then we'd know for sure.

Their last blog post about lighting mentions that they have a dynamic lighting system in place because of destruction. Obviously game uses still uses a mix of pre baked and dynamic as almost every other game but it's more dynamic than the former imo. The global lighting (sunlight) in game is obviously dynamic and is the primary shadow casting lightsource in the game (and it's capable of casting dynamic shadows everywhere). Indoors it can vary but major light sources in a destructible area should be dynamic because they are capable of lighting up an adjacent room if there is a breach between the rooms.From what I can see the game does not have any GI model in place and that only makes sense if the game relied more on dynamic lighting than baked otherwise they'd have implemented a baked GI solution as well. Also if the game had primarily baked lighting then the game would've been enormous in size because they would have to account for 2 TOD per map.

Lastly, the game has gone though a lot of changes in indoor lighting and we will get even more drastic changes in the future. That wouldn't be possible if it was all baked in.

EDIT: But I'll take time to check today and I'm sure I'll be able to find what's up if I pay attention.

If it makes it seem darker because they disable the light source then isn't that proof enough that the light source was dynamic and lighting up the area in real time? Granted post emp the area is still lit in some ways and the shadows might not change but that's more due to the fact that there are other light sources in the area as well, unaffected by emp, and not every light in the game is a shadow casting light source. Basically the room still being lit post emp is not really evidence of baked lighting because if 2 out of 5 lights in a room are disabled then the room will still be lit but there will be a relatively darker area in the place where the 2 disabled lights were,

Their last blog post about lighting mentions that they have a dynamic lighting system in place because of destruction. Lastly, the game has gone though a lot of changes in indoor lighting and we will get even more drastic changes in the future. That wouldn't be possible if it was all baked in.

The light source as in the light bulb that you EMP goes out. A light flicking on/off isn't the same as true dynamic lighting, that reacts to what is around it and cast shadows dynamically. It's not because there's other light sources in a room. Throw all your EMPs into a room and deactivate all the lights, look at how the room is still visibly bright despite having no lights on inside it. Also, pay attention to how the shadows within said room will not change.
All lighting and shadows currently in the game right now for scenery are literally baked into the textures, with the exception of operators casting shadows.

The dynamic light system mentioned in the last blog post was about removing the current outdoor lighting system because they use it statically, as in the time of day doesn't shift during a match. You're either playing a map in the day time or the night time, so they're cutting it out as it is useless.
In an effort to deliver a more immersive experience, we used procedurally generated skies tech from Assassin's Creed. This tech is great for providing us with dynamic time of day, but it wasn’t a perfect fit for our game as we only have two static times of day.

We will now be using image based HDR skies. This allows us to have more artistic control of the ambient lighting, as well as increase the overall quality of lighting in general.

Same blog post also confirms the static/baked lighting.
Rainbow Six Siege is built around the concept of a fully destructible environment. As such, we needed to develop a lighting system that works well in tandem with the changes that come from having that level of procedural destruction. To deliver this type of system, we use both dynamic lighting and static, indirect lighting. Not only that, but we also have multiple post-effects which control the brightness and color of what you see displayed on your screen. All of this works together to help build the atmosphere you enjoy in game.

Static being the environmental lighting, dynamic for operators to cast shadows.

Eh think she would be fine being able to disable a device every minute or so with it, pretty much 'hacking' it but you have to be stationary for like 3 seconds for it to destroy it. So like a Thatcher that can see through walls and disable but with a long cooldown that has to be used very wisely, especially in Ranked. You'd basically use it once, maybe twice. Though that would make her a bit powerful so if that happened I wouldn't mind her frags getting replaced and given to someone more needing of them like Blitz or Capitao. She's basically only used for Valk and the very occasional Pulse right now but is a Fragger 95% of the time which is very boring.

ALSO HOT DAMN I'M HAVING SOME AWFUL MATCHES TONIGHT.

I like the temporary disable part but only when she has line of sight. Otherwise it's pretty op and would make Thatcher redundant.

Keihart

Talking about IQ i think there is an easy way to make her better, just make her gadget easier to use.

Mount it in the primary gun.
Make it easier to identify the gadgets(they already made an attempt at this, needs to be clearer, maybe even user colors)
Give her some way to share her utility without words, maybe mark some gadgets.

Take her nades out, they made her a fragger because they kinda gave up on make her gadget useful, her buff is as crappy as glaz's nerf.

jtb

Banned
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/news/152-298832-16/operation-blood-orchid-operator-ying-螢get this stupid shit the fuck out of my stupid face

Is it the same fucking writer post-Dust Line?! Everything after has just escalated in silliness (just like the aesthetics).

Have you guys read Capitão's bio? He is a pretty cool guy. Eh has 1 eye and doesnt afraid of anything, basically.

lmao what the fuck is this shit. jesus christ.

That ace with Glaz on Favela: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/35338771 (complete round; 4 headshots)

I feel like I'm watching a completely different game when I see console replays

Keihart

Alexandre Remy (Rainbow Six Siege brand director): "What's fascinating is that we see Team Elevate, for example, in America, who won the Six Invitational last year, consistently ranking in the top teams on PC this year. So they've managed to do that transition.

And what's fascinating to me is that, usually, the skill required to move from console to PC is very large. But on Rainbow Six, a lot of that skill is in knowing the maps, about positioning, team composition... it's brain skill and not purely twitch skill. So there's that tactical aspect, and it's something you carry over regardless of the platform. So I think it's a very positive aspect of the game."

I sometimes play on PC with the DS4 only because of convenience, and unless you are like a reaaaaaaaally good player, it really makes little difference if you have the muscle memory to use a controller. I wouldn't say it's like this in every shooter tho, but more like Siege it's a exception.

This can all be immensely better, and won't be until we get new hardware.

Lighting is baked, and the Siege team has talked about this before. There is no "true darkness" or a true ability to turn off lights. Flickering isn't the same thing.

There is no larger light/darkness mechanic, and there can be in a next gen version.

Entire operators can be built around this.

They can't completely turn off the lights in this game because of the destruction and hardware limits. Has nothing much to do with balance or operators.

Imagine a pitch dark room because lights are destroyed. Then imagine destroying a wall to a lit room.

The game is currently unable to have the lighting reflect that contrast because the lighting system isn't dynamic.

Keihart

Lighting is baked, and the Siege team has talked about this before. There is no "true darkness" or a true ability to turn off lights. Flickering isn't the same thing.

There is no larger light/darkness mechanic, and there can be in a next gen version.

They can't completely turn off the lights in this game because of the destruction and hardware limits. Has nothing much to do with balance or operators.

Imagine a pitch dark room because lights are destroyed. Then imagine destroying a wall to a lit room.

The game is currently unable to have the lighting reflect that contrast because the lighting system isn't dynamic.

I want this, sequel will be glorious.

No one wants incredible lightning in this game because it hinders you from seeing things. The lower you set all this shit, the better you see. Why would the defenders NOT kill all the lights so they can camp in the pitch black darkness of the rooms? Ok, peeps have night vision, but so what. If you end up using night vision all times, what's the fucking point?

Same thing with destructability. We had that in the alpha, they removed it. Do you know why? Because no one actually wants something that's completely destructable. Because defenders are fucked.

I am not opposed to the ideas themselves, they sound great. But they will not happen if Siege is foremost a mainstream competitive MP shooter because they will always have to relent to making things balanced. Cool and realistic stuff is never balanced.

I wish IQ get the ability to martk electronics so your team can see them too or IQ being able to use her pistol to destroy them through walls.
It feel pointless to see all their wares and do nothing because indestructible walls prevents IQ to do something but hey 5+ points

Keihart

I wish IQ get the ability to martk electronics so your team can see them too or IQ being able to use her pistol to destroy them through walls.
It feel pointless to see all their wares and do nothing because indestructible walls prevents IQ to do something but hey 5+ points

yup, sharing the position would go a long way to making her gadget more useful.

Fury451

Banned
I could picture something like

R1+U,D,L,R pivots a camera attached to the barrel

That and it is on some kind of gun that is long enough to make it useful.

This is what they should do with IQ and her gadget. Allow her to have it mounted on her rifle, but make it like Blackbeard so that when it's open it restricts her view somewhat and increases recoil. That would balance it out no problem, but also make her more technically viable. The switch time between rifle and for gadget on her pistol is too slow to ever really be super useful in my opinion.

I gained a new appreciation for her during her fbirthday challenge and saw how great she was as a three speed operator with some of the best guns in the game, but I'll still default to picking someone else like Hibana or Ash because her gadget is not all that useful to the team, though she is slightly more useful now that they gave her frag grenades.

It still wouldnt be enough when you have someone like thatcher

No one wants incredible lightning in this game because it hinders you from seeing things. The lower you set all this shit, the better you see. Why would the defenders NOT kill all the lights so they can camp in the pitch black darkness of the rooms? Ok, peeps have night vision, but so what. If you end up using night vision all times, what's the fucking point?

Same thing with destructability. We had that in the alpha, they removed it. Do you know why? Because no one actually wants something that's completely destructable. Because defenders are fucked.

I am not opposed to the ideas themselves, they sound great. But they will not happen if Siege is foremost a mainstream competitive MP shooter because they will always have to relent to making things balanced. Cool and realistic stuff is never balanced.

I dont want full destruction, obviously it needs to be propelry balanced

Doesnt mean its not possible

The lighting is a hardware limitation. If they could make it dynamic they would. It would be a huge upgrade for a sequel and they can absolutely balance around it

Not all lights need to be destructible, but adding it adds a new dynamic to the game.

Night vision can play a role like having to toggle it when getting into dark rooms. An entire room gets darkened and suddenly everyone is turning on night vision or using operators to create back up lights, etc

It absolutely adds to the competitive nature and tactics of the game.

I dont know what you expect in a sequel without the game turning into a recycled product that just looks nicer

Dynamic lighting, weather, better destruction (creating craters on concrete for cover for example), etc are all sequel worthy.

The game largely relies on new operator mechanics, and we'll never have certain operators until a proper sequel

jtb

Banned
Stealth and deception is already a large part of metagame (and the game itself). I would love to see more emphasis put on that part of the game, whether it's lighting or anything else - I think you could get very creative with the different gameplay scenarios.

What I'm saying is let's go full Spies v Mercs

Kalentan

The problem is you're playing placement matches in the last week of the season. You were bound to have an awful experience in every way :p
The unranked pool is much smaller and much more shitty at this time.

Even still it's BAD. Not even Overwatch which season ends in a few days is this bad.

Like even in matches we're winning, we get leavers. Last match my team had 2 leavers and we lost because of it.

I don't get why do people play rank only to LEAVE!?!?!?

It's even worse when we're winning and we get leavers. It's like they go: "Oh we're winning? This sucks, let's leave."

Yet of course the enemy team never has leavers.

As far as lighting and shadows being more drastic in a sequel would definitely chance things up. You don't see someone based on thier shadow too often but thier are parts in maps the tried to make sure it happens.

The destruction and more objectives and map types is what I'd like to see more of.

Maybe a mall with more glass and such. A place where both teams are inside or both are outside. Depends on size and what the objectives may be but America's army showed long ago how those sort of things can work and I do feel that game is just as fun as this even though it has no destruction. Map specific objectives would be awesome

The 29th can't come soon enough. I've been taking a bit of a break from Siege lately as I picked up Titanfall 2 last month intending on only playing the single player, but tried the multiplayer on a lark and found myself a bit hooked on it for the time being. Getting back into the swing of things I miss being able to slidehop and swing around everything and needed to get my bearings on the angles and shooting again after a few rusty matches, but I'm re-acclimated and I'm ready for some new operators.

MAX PAYMENT

Stealth and deception is already a large part of metagame (and the game itself). I would love to see more emphasis put on that part of the game, whether it's lighting or anything else - I think you could get very creative with the different gameplay scenarios.

What I'm saying is let's go full Spies v Mercs

Damn it. Why did you have to remind me my favorite multiplayer game is dead.

jtb

Banned
To be honest, rather than add more operators (which i get that's where the $$$$ is and that's all Ubi cares about), I'd rather see new game modes be added to the rotation. All three modes play nearly identically, because they all boil down to "just kill the other team, already."

Like in an actual hostage negotiation, if you saw a platoon of special agents, you'd.... kill the hostage. Or blow up the bomb (which, also makes no sense because the maps are completely abandoned of people lol). Or whatever.

I'm just spitballing here, but adding randomly placed civilians or whatever across the map to force more careful line of sights/explosive uses. I dunno. Just funneling players (and rewarding them) into more objective-based gameplay would be nice and allow for more gameplay than just the usual gameplay loop of peeking around corners and, again, more ways to utilize the Ops' abilities

TheKeyPit

Banned
To be honest, rather than add more operators (which i get that's where the $$$$ is and that's all Ubi cares about), I'd rather see new game modes be added to the rotation. All three modes play nearly identically, because they all boil down to "just kill the other team, already."
I'm sure that you mean "two modes"? Bomb and Secure Area. That's all I get to see online.

I wish this was a joke, but Hostage happens in maybe 1 out of 20 matches.

Like in an actual hostage negotiation, if you saw a platoon of special agents, you'd.... kill the hostage. Or blow up the bomb (which, also makes no sense because the maps are completely abandoned of people lol). Or whatever.

I'm just spitballing here, but adding randomly placed civilians or whatever across the map to force more careful line of sights/explosive uses. I dunno. Just funneling players (and rewarding them) into more objective-based gameplay would be nice and allow for more gameplay than just the usual gameplay loop of peeking around corners and, again, more ways to utilize the Ops' abilities

Unfortunately, it's just REALLY hard to make a new mode that doesnt break the way the game was built.

Seriously, try to think of one that plays to the nature of the game and doesnt break it in some way

I'm sure that you mean "two modes"? Bomb and Secure Area. That's all I get to see online.

Change your preferences. I recently turned off Secure Area since it was all I got. Now I play more Bomb and Hostage

Disgraced

All I play is bomb because I'm a fuckin' adult.

Except in Tactical Realism. There I play hostage with the timer kicked all the way up.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah I for one actually like Hostage since it forces you to play differently and roam less. Which of course is why everyone hates it, because people fucking love roaming.

Also still pretty salty PS4 Pro never got a patch :\

Obviously never expected 2160p or anything but shouldn't 1440p have been easy to accomplish.

duppolo

i stop playing before season 1, i have the base game. how can i pay the less possible for all operation of season 1 or 2? after all the season 2 are available, season 1 will cost less?

Kalentan

Man the fucking hit detection in terms of server realizing that a hit was made is so off.

I shot a doc near his head for half a clip and saw blood splatter everywhere...

Only for the game to reveal I only did 1/3 of his health.

Like what? How?

I love Siege so much and it's the only shooter that fills this niche for me... And yet it feels like my enjoyment of the game is dying by a thousand cuts.

They also need to change the rank mode to something akin to League. Where you still have Bronze I - V and so on but you have to get to 100 points before moving into your promos to move from say Bronze III to Bronze II.

The current system just feels too random and too punishing.

I feel kind of stupid for not knowing this given how long I've been playing but until i watched This Video I did not fully understand how much Rook's armour plating helps, because there's certain things I didn't get about hitboxes and damage modifiers, and also if I'm not mistaken, a player with a Rook plate on is guaranteed a DBNO effect from shots to anywhere but the head.

Now that I'm using Rook I'm getting some great results. Oddly enough I find I can flank with him really well using the SG-CQB. On perhaps 4-5 occasions in the last two days of matches I've been in a position to quickly kill three operators in under ten seconds. A common theme in these situations was "I got lucky, they should have killed me" but I genuinely suspect that people don't react as quickly when a teammate is killed in a single shot the way they would if they came under rapid fire. If you don't see it happen with your own eyes then you're relying on your ears and the kill feed to alert you. At the right range there is no faster TTK than a single shotgun blast and the noise that makes is quite possibly less alarming than several from an automatic.

Man the fucking hit detection in terms of server realizing that a hit was made is so off.

I shot a doc near his head for half a clip and saw blood splatter everywhere...

Only for the game to reveal I only did 1/3 of his health.

Like what? How?

I love Siege so much and it's the only shooter that fills this niche for me... And yet it feels like my enjoyment of the game is dying by a thousand cuts.

They also need to change the rank mode to something akin to League. Where you still have Bronze I - V and so on but you have to get to 100 points before moving into your promos to move from say Bronze III to Bronze II.

The current system just feels too random and too punishing.

The whole ranked set up isn't as good as casual. Bo5 is far superior for game length and flow. You go up a rank and down a rank in one game and the players are worse. Not just in terms of skill but with exploits, ping, and general bullshit. Sure you get to pick your spawn but I guess I just don't like being coddled that way.

I feel kind of stupid for not knowing this given how long I've been playing but until i watched This Video I did not fully understand how much Rook's armour plating helps, because there's certain things I didn't get about hitboxes and damage modifiers, and also if I'm not mistaken, a player with a Rook plate on is guaranteed a DBNO effect from shots to anywhere but the head.

Now that I'm using Rook I'm getting some great results. Oddly enough I find I can flank with him really well using the SG-CQB. On perhaps 4-5 occasions in the last two days of matches I've been in a position to quickly kill three operators in under ten seconds. A common theme in these situations was "I got lucky, they should have killed me" but I genuinely suspect that people don't react as quickly when a teammate is killed in a single shot the way they would if they came under rapid fire. If you don't see it happen with your own eyes then you're relying on your ears and the kill feed to alert you. At the right range there is no faster TTK than a single shotgun blast and the noise that makes is quite possibly less alarming than several from an automatic.

You can definitely feel the effect of Rook armor on enemies and when you have it. Also the SG-CQB is an amazing shotgun. It makes Rook and Doc great anchors. The shotgun just dares the three speed operators to try their bullshit and stops them like they ran into a wall.

Top Bottom