• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strict voter ID law approved in Michigan House

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy the Detroit News:

Detroit News said:
Michigan’s Republican-led House on Wednesday night approved a strict voter identification proposal over strenuous objections from Democrats who argued the plan could disenfranchise properly registered voters.

Michigan voters without photo identification could still cast a provisional ballot under the controversial legislation, but they would have to bring an ID to their local clerk’s office within 10 days of an election in order for their vote to count.

Current state law allows registered voters to cast a ballot without photo identification if they sign an affidavit affirming their identity under threat of perjury, an option 18,388 residents used in the Nov. 8 election, according to the Michigan Secretary of State.

Nearly half of those voters were in Wayne County, including 5,834 in Detroit.

The legislation, as approved Thursday, includes an $8 million appropriation to finance “election modernization, voter education and implementation” of the new rules, $2 million for free birth certificates and $1 million for the free ID program. The appropriations would effectively make the law immune to voter referendum.

The time of year that Michigan's GOP legislature loves, apparently.

And how representative are Michigan's districts for representatives, you may ask?

electablog in 2014 said:
In the 14 congressional races, Democrats received more votes than Republicans:

Democrats: 1,515,716 (49.15%)
Republicans: 1,463,854 (47.47%)

Democrats got more votes, but Republicans were victorious (again) in 9 of the 14 races. They accomplished that by stuffing as many Democrats into as few districts as possible. The average margin of victory for winning Dems was 86,410; the average GOP win margin was 42,243.

Derwind

Yeah fuck the GOP, making voting as hard as possible for the demographic that generally don't vote for you goes against everything democracy stands for.

I hope history is not kind to them.

digdug2k

Someone just needs to get a real gerrymandering case in front of the supreme court. Not one motivated by racial things. Something that can get them to declare it unconstitutional for a government to not represent its citizens.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
assuming you need to have a white photo ID with a cross necklace showing in it.

Vena

It amazes me that this isn't criminal and that every single one of these people isn't put to pasture under assaulting the very idea of a democracy.

Someone just needs to get a real gerrymandering case in front of the supreme court. Not one motivated by racial things. Something that can get them to declare it unconstitutional for a government to not represent its citizens.

Obama's going after this when he's out of office, the issue is that the Supreme Court could swing at any moment if the sitting Justices retire/die.

Republicans will obstruct this getting to the Supreme Court for years if they have to, in the hope that they can wait out the seats to die so that they can get favor in the Court from Trump appointments. Because the current Justices would slap this down with a thunderous clap, and the GOP's attempts to suppress voters would unravel in a heartbeat.

In case that last bit has you confused:
Referendums: A History

Michigan’s constitution created the referendum power for voters to repeal laws that they think the legislature should not have passed. But, the State Constitution also includes an exemption. The exemption is for budget bills. This is so that, “the state’s ability to pay its bills and maintain its credit rating and things like that would not be compromised, but that was the only exception,” Pluta notes.

Appropriations Expanded

Interesting enough, the bills that lawmakers have attached appropriations to so far this year have all been pretty controversial bills. It’s a cunning way to make sure that unpopular laws cannot be repealed by unhappy voters. Understand, though, this is not the first time that lawmakers, in both parties, have used this political maneuver. What’s newsworthy, now, however, is the fact that it’s being used with such frequency.
http://michiganradio.org/post/how-state-lawmakers-are-making-sure-you-can-t-repeal-their-laws

So by attaching bullshit funding riders to these bills (in one instance noted in the linked article it's $50,000 to print brochures) the legislature can prevent democracy from taking place.

Just listened to a recent episode of Adam Ruins Everything where the guest Daryl Atkinson made a salient point. You'd think that the GOP would want to stop voter restrictions because that would probably make people loyal to your party. However, it's clear that they just know that any support would be short lived because they are determined to pass legislation that would damage those same people so they don't even make the effort. Just make them 6th class citizens so that they have no say in the legislative destruction they plan to lay down. I pray that I never hear another dumbass claim that both parties are the same.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Michigan voters without photo identification could still cast a provisional ballot under the controversial legislation, but they would have to bring an ID to their local clerk’s office within 10 days of an election in order for their vote to count.

lolol fuck this obtuse bullshit

the intention here is so clear. How many poll workers do you think will "accidentally' forget to mention this fact to the people they allow to vote

Vena

Looks like Michigan is never voting blue ever again. Great work! Fair representation of the population I'd say!

For governance/state legislature (until gerrymandering and these laws in general are ruled unconstitutional), but for general elections on popular vote it can still (and probably will) swing wildly because there's still a large population that this bill isn't going to touch but that can and does swing its vote or that just chooses not to vote.

Just listened to a recent episode of Adam Ruins Everything where the guest Daryl Atkinson made a salient point. You'd think that the GOP would want to stop voter restrictions because that would probably make people loyal to your party. However, it's clear that they just know that any support would be short lived because they are determined to pass legislation that would damage those same people so they don't even make the effort. Just make them 6th class citizens so that they have no say in the legislative destruction they plan to lay down. I pray that I never hear another dumbass claim that both parties are the same.

Republicans have pretty much given up on playing by the rules of democracy. Their game plan now is to just shut down any demographic that doesn't like their policies.

For governance/state legislature (until gerrymandering and these laws in general are ruled unconstitutional), but for general elections on popular vote it can still (and probably will) swing wildly because there's still a large population that this bill isn't going to touch but that can and does swing its vote or that just chooses not to vote.

How can you rely on Michigan to fairly count the vote for federal positions if they have corrupt officials running the state?

I don't trust any vote from a state that doesn't have full audit and recount capabilities.

Patryn

Every time I see a story like this I get happier and happier that I left that wretched state behind.

The sad thing is that most of the people I was in college with also fled it.

Vena

How can you rely on Michigan to fairly count the vote for federal positions if they have corrupt officials running the state?

I don't trust any vote from a state that doesn't have full audit and recount capabilities.

Oh on that basis, sure. I meant more in the strict sense of who can still vote "legally" under these bullshit laws. I really do hope that when Obama goes after these laws and gerrymandering post-term, he starts with Michigan and guts this bullshit and its legislature.

The new DNC really should be attacking this sort of bullshit at its core for the next four years every single day if they are smart. Empower the disenfranchised and get the non-racist, non-asshat white people who are unaffected to also get involved. If democrats want to regain any control, they need to regain control on this level and overturn gerrymandering and its capabilities.

Keasar

gopconventionsimpsons_2.jpg

How USA never just admits that the Republicans are fucking scum through and through amazes me as a outsider.

Wilsongt

Hey, the GOP controls almost the entire country. Might as well crank out all of the shit laws now so they keep it that way.

gopconventionsimpsons_2.jpg

How USA never just admits that the Republicans are fucking scum through and through amazes me as a outsider.

Because you have decent Republicans thinking "my party can't be that bad, no way are we the bad guys!" or "Democrats are worse for reasons".

Until the majority of decent Republicans flip parties, nothing will change.

Voras

This is really disheartening, between voter suppression and gerrymandering it's tough to see how the democrats can retake the government.

digdug2k

It amazes me that this isn't criminal and that every single one of these people isn't put to pasture under assaulting the very idea of a democracy.

Obama's going after this when he's out of office, the issue is that the Supreme Court could swing at any moment if the sitting Justices retire/die.

Republicans will obstruct this getting to the Supreme Court for years if they have to, in the hope that they can wait out the seats to die so that they can get favor in the Court from Trump appointments. Because the current Justices would slap this down with a thunderous clap, and the GOP's attempts to suppress voters would unravel in a heartbeat.
Yeah. On the opposite side, even Republican voters hate gerrymandering. It is possible to fix it in the state itself. i.e. the states that have laws preventing it right now are a mix of red and blue ones.

Jeffrey

I mean how can you blame them? Seems like a valid strategy to win.

Wish the dems had any kind of strategy or anything. They have good intentions but are terrible at this 'politics game'.

Wonder if they will ever figure out how to get folks to vote in the midterms.

geomon

We need to start canvassing right fucking now and start making sure everyone has whatever they need to vote without a provisional ballot.

How hard is it to get a Photo ID? A drivers license works, right?

It can be very difficult if you don't have a permanent residence. I live in Michigan's capital and used to volunteer with the homeless in college and it was always a hassle that many would have never achieved without help.

I have to admit that this is an issue where I don't understand our ("the left/liberal") position on it. ID isn't hard to get. But maybe my privilege blinds me to some aspect I'm missing?

Michigan is really going to shit, huh?

We been garbage for years... just largely ignored by those that needed to pay the most attention.

I have to admit that this is an issue where I don't understand our ("the left/liberal") position on it. ID isn't hard to get. But maybe my privilege blinds me to some aspect I'm missing?

Yes it absolutely can be. Have you tried getting ID in this state while homeless?

If you don't have a copy of your birth certificate, it can be expensive to get one (depending on your city). If you don't have a permanent address, it can be problematic to get one. Driver's license requires that you be able to afford driving lessons or go to a school that provides driver's ed (or staying in school long enough to take driver's ed).

This law would be fine if you had a free government issue'd photo ID, but we don't, and the same people who voted this law in would be voting against free gov't IDs too.

Zoe

If you don't have a copy of your birth certificate, it can be expensive to get one (depending on your city). If you don't have a permanent address, it can be problematic to get one. Driver's license requires that you be able to afford driving lessons or go to a school that provides driver's ed (or staying in school long enough to take driver's ed).

This law would be fine if you had a free government issue'd photo ID, but we don't, and the same people who voted this law in would be voting against free gov't IDs too.

Michigan has a state ID--free if you're over 65, $10 if under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom