• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Single Player Cinematic Trailer

Oh shit, completely forgot about that Clone Wars episode. (It's been awhile)

Kudos to the callback.

And to my knowledge, CW is still considered cannon, correct?

Pizza

To answer some questions in this thread

Iden's opinion on Vader, and details about iden from the book:
She knows of Vader as most street level imperials do in the new canon: he's the emperor's very scary and mysterious enforcer. When the Death Star is attacking Yavin 4, she is mostly confused about the rebellion's strategic decisions as she notices A-Wings diving into the trench. About that time her superior informs her that Vader is personally joining the dogfight. She knows she can't ask why, but she starts panicking bc obviously Vader knows something she doesn't. She then sees an X-Wing annihilate a member of her squad and, in a moment of blind fury, chases an A-Wing away from the Death Star fast enough to escape it before it explodes.

Also, the "hope" line in the trailer isn't as cheesy as it comes off as. Iden's dad, the admiral versio seen in the trailer, has been a douche to her her entire life. He was responsible for peacefully convincing Vardos to join the empire and is well loved and respected for it. His ex wife was a famous imperial propaganda artist, too. Iden's comes from imperial elites and has had crazy expectations placed on her. She graduated top of her class and was a super successful pilot in spite of her father's harsh indifference. When her dad poses a question, iden knows there's a /specific/ answer he wants. She isn't a bad person at heart, but she sees the rebellion as terrorists and is trying to protect the Empire she's been born and raised in.

Tarkin, sheev, and Vader's relationship has been explored in his new book as well:
Tarkin is 100% sure that the emperor and Vader are Sith Lords. But! He views the jedi trying to assassinate him as them being jealous and furious that a member of the rival order was about to get credit for winning the war against the separatists. He is also painfully aware that a lot of details of the clone war and the creation of the Death Star don't quite add up when looked at critically. Dooku (under commands from sheev to test Tarkin's commitment to the empire) went out of his way to try to get Tarkin to participate in the proxy war (all but blatantly telling Tarkin what was really happening) and Tarkin chose for him and his planet with the empire. Tarkin knows palpatine may have achieved his seat through illegitimate means, but Tarkin also thought the republic was inefficient and weakening. He comes from an outer rim planet and has firsthand experience not getting the help from the center that his people needed. He doesn't view their destruction as a huge loss.

Tarkin is also 100% sure Vader is annikan. He and Vader have a sincere respect for one another, and will defer to each other when they know the other is more experienced somewhere. Also, Tarkin seems suspect that the emperor lives in the jedi palace, but he does like that people outside the order get access to the giant building.

On that note, his book mentions that there is a secret sith shrine that ONLY sheev knows about buried deep under the jedi temple on coruscant. This slowly fucked with the jedi over time, leading to the weird and paranoid way they often acted in the prequels.

Yes. Rebels prominently features several characters from it, and finishes off some story arcs as well.

With Rebels ending this season I'm curious if Disney intends to launch a new series to take its place.

I'd kill for an animated show that explores the thirty year gap between ROTJ and TFA. (I know many of books and comics have already done some of this)

hobozero

If they pull in anyone from the movies, I hope its Forrest Whitaker. I need more Saw in my life. Also, if you wanna make the Empire look like good guys fighting terrorists, you can't do better than Saw Gerrera.

CamHostage

To answer some questions in this thread

Iden's opinion on Vader, and details about iden from the book:

Good background to know, thanks!

Do you recommend the Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad? Sounds like the character development is interesting and that the story probably comes in a lot earlier than the game, is the writing strong enough to engage or should I just look for the cliff-notes?

sphagnum

Banned

Do you recommend the Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad? Sounds like the character development is interesting and that the story probably comes in a lot earlier than the game, is the writing strong enough to engage or should I just look for the cliff-notes?

I thought it was ok but sort of falls apart at the end which was very rushed. You'd probably be fine with a summary.

The first Battlefront novel was much better.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
On that note, his book mentions that there is a secret sith shrine that ONLY sheev knows about buried deep under the jedi temple on coruscant. This slowly fucked with the jedi over time, leading to the weird and paranoid way they often acted in the prequels.

lol

The writing of the prequels was so bad that they are still having to make up new excuses for it in the canon.

J_Viper

lAqgf1b.png
Lmao did no one notice how dumb this looks?

Kalentan

With Rebels ending this season I'm curious if Disney intends to launch a new series to take its place.

I'd kill for an animated show that explores the thirty year gap between ROTJ and TFA. (I know many of books and comics have already done some of this)

Honestly I want a pre-Episode 1, like 30-40 or so years before animated show.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wow, the characters and animation look so much better than what we saw in the RDR2 trailer. Frostbite is a hell off an engine. Of coarse this game isn't open world but I was disappointed in the facial animation if the rdr2 trailer.

I am wondering, are we going to actively participate in the battle of Endor? It shows the fleet and the death star itself, as well as Inferno squad being on the ground when the death star explodes.

This could be the opening cutscene, but damn do I hope we take part in it.

Sami+

Yeah I thought that dude looked fucking awesome until they turned on the Face Channel lmao. Oh well though, scene looked pretty cool. I was interested in the campaign but didn't know the Spec Ops writer was on it - sold.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Can't help but feel the Emperor Palpabot is goofy to the extreme, even for Star Wars.

So did the Emperor anticipate he was going to die, hence why he put Operation Cinder in place as a back-up?

sphagnum

Banned
Can't help but feel the Emperor Palpabot is goofy to the extreme, even for Star Wars.

So did the Emperor anticipate he was going to die, hence why he put Operation Cinder in place as a back-up?

It's not that he was expecting to die but that he had a backup "screw you all" plan in case it happened.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why? I tought it looked great.
He skin is so weak to light that even a simple helmet vizor filter would hurt.
So he streams a videofeed of his face to the outside of his helmet monitor.

Or eeh it makes his helmet even tougher.

sphagnum

Banned
Why? I tought it looked great.
He skin is so weak to light that even a simple helmet vizor filter would hurt.
So he streams a videofeed of his face to the outside of his helmet monitor.

Or eeh it makes his helmet even tougher.

It's a prerecorded video playing over a blank droid face, he's not in the suit.

nampad

1. I did not know that you will play for the Empire to fight dirty rebels. Expected it to be the other way around :)

2. They have space ships but can't capture a distortion free video feed.

Eggbok

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT|
Electric Naboo-galoo

Fixed. Because of The Force and the
lightning thingy

It works because Palpatine is from Naboo and specialized in lightning. The game is also focused on what happened after he died. It's perfect.

Pizza

I heartily recommend it! It isn't a nonstop action book, but it's a really cool character piece about imperial spies getting in a little over their head in a deep cover mission. I like "street level" Star Wars a ton, and the book did a good job! It's a fun read: decent imperials meeting some of Saw's most fanatic partisans, so the lines of morality are pretty grey.

The book picks up with the formation of Inferno Squad slightly after iden survives the Death Star, and ends four years before the Death Star II on endor where the game will pick up. I thought it was rad as hell, honestly!

lol

The writing of the prequels was so bad that they are still having to make up new excuses for it in the canon.

I love it though, the dark side lowkey seeping into the jedi council's decisions was a neat way to quietly explain their general confusion and paranoia

I love it though, the dark side lowkey seeping into the jedi council's decisions was a neat way to quietly explain their general confusion and paranoia

Plus well, it was kind of a neat little foundation for the idea that Palpatine was up to something additionally dark and sinister that we're still not entirely sure of. Like, ruling the Empire and building Death Stars was all fine and dandy, but he was dabbling in something mystic all the while...

Honestly even if it isn't addressed at all by the sequel films, it just adds an extra factor of creepiness to Sheev that just fits the character so well.

Scuffed

Still getting the game but so far I am not at all hyped for the story mode. We haven't seen much about it but the stuff we have seen so far does nothing for me.

jtb

Banned
Who's doing the campaign? I didn't even realize there was going to be a campaign until this thread

Personally, no, but it wouldn't be difficult to see this as running on PS4 hardware.

Yeah, maybe. The cutscene quality is really good!

battlefield 1 and ME catalyst had, pre-rendered video files, so i assume that is the case here. To mask loading times and improve visual quality too.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about BF1, thanks for the info.

doesnt matter. in game cutscenes this gen look vastly better than ingame visuals because of various effects that add more detail to the faces when viewed up close. the in game character models wont look as good.

Well, it looks nice in some games. Uncharted transitions in and out of a cutscenes with ease.

LoveCake

There wasn't much in the video, it seems to be a generic single player FPS from the snippet at the end, a good CGI cut-scene doesn't make a good game imo.

prag16

Banned
There wasn't much in the video, it seems to be a generic single player FPS from the snippet at the end, a good CGI cut-scene doesn't make a good game imo.
To be fair it's hard to draw any conclusion, positive or negative, from that. Including level of genericness.

Top Bottom