• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Kirby! Share your favorite Kirby games and memories <(^_^<)

vaporeon

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only pink son Kirby, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

maxcriden

I was too furious to keep going.

Glad to see your change your mind. ;)

Very gladly! It is one of my all-time faves. Glad you dug it also!

We still need to 100% it. Some of those side quests are super tough!

Here are some .gifs from the OT and elsewhere:

tumblr_mxh5ft6HOg1rwzxnro1_500.gif

kirby2_13cre.gif

tumblr_ntpb37EbHE1tdjgz4o1_500.gif

tumblr_mck04eeKK91rwf59fo1_500.gif

aJ4wUF.gif

huqZ-z.gif

RedToad64

Return to Dreamland is my favorite in the main series. It did so much right. And the hard difficulty mode is awesome.

Kirby Air Ride is the best of the spinoffs. I would absolutely love a re-release of that one. Online City Trial please!

Dreamland 3 had a dope as fuck soundtrack.
I loved the art design too.
I never found the gameplay of any of the games to be that enjoyable, though.

A lot of levels I just hovered over, and others I just did a eat&shoot routine until I hit the end.

Music was good enough to get me to play through it all, but I lost interest in the IP completely.
I recently bought Epic Yarn for my new Wii, but I might end up watching my girlfriend, who is new to games, play it instead. She's playing Adventure on NES Classic right now, and enjoys it.

First Kirby game I've ever played was Kirby's Dream Land for GB back in 1995 and I remember liking it quite a bit. I fell off the series for a long, long time but played through Robobot at the beginning of this year and loved it. I'll give Triple Deluxe a shot if I can find a cheaper copy.

Nudull

Banned
My first Kirby game was Super Star on the SNES, after first becoming aware of the series thanks to the first Super Smash Bros. As you can imagine, it left a hell of an impression on younger me.

Ahhhhhh Kirby. I've loved this little pink fluff from day one. Let's start with Kirby's Avalanche.

tumblr_mzk2vkyQq41qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Fondest moment is the first time I reached AVALANCHE!!! While playing against my brother. It was such a close game. We were dumping Puyos on each other for maybe 5 minutes straight. Then that green/yellow came down and he knew. He knew that we were done. He put his controller down and it began...

Yes.
Excellent..
Watch out...
Here it comes.....
AVALANCHE!!!!!

I threw my controller so hard it unplugged. We still play whenever we link up.

Ultimadrago

Kirby Super Star. All of it (except the frame rate which I only became more sensitive to long after originally enjoying it many times).

Zyrox

Kirby's Dream Land was the very first video game I've ever played (and finished) so the little pink guy will always have a special place in my heart. I'm bummed I missed out on Robobot, my 3DS broke shortly before that one came out. Triple Deluxe was a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
After recently reading some criticism of how recent Mario RPGs rely on established Mario tropes, I realized that Kirby as a franchise is fantastic about constantly introducing new environments and villains. A lot of enemies are reused, but the game series really figures out ways of expanding its universe with each entry. That's a great thing Kirby has done over the past 25 years and continues to do.
Kirby needs an RPG spinoff.

Nottle

Kirby Super Star is the best Kirby game. Kirby has movesets for each abilitiy and he can even poop out a co op partner and mama bird feed them food he picked up.

My favorite ability was Plasma or Bomb. You could really fuck shit up.

Also that game had like 8 interesting and fun modes. I liked Great cave offensive and Metalnigts Revenge.

Return to Dreamland is my favorite in the main series. It did so much right. And the hard difficulty mode is awesome.

I honestly agree. Everything about that game is fantastic! The 3DS games are amazing as well but the lack of coop, challenge rooms, hard mode, and Bandanna Motherfucking Dee as a playable character leaves a bit to be desired.

Here's my top 5 list, actually:

1. Return to Dreamland

2. Superstar Ultra

3. 64

4. Planet Robobot

5. Dream Course (only golf game I've ever liked)

Vibed

My best times playing Kirby were Superstar with my little cousin. That was basically my favorite SNES game, and one of the most magical times in my life. Kirby's Adventure was also super fun back then. Kirby 64 was basically a treat to rent for kid me, and it was one of the games I would rent on Hotel N64s before I got any gaming system. (My mom got me a 64, my first of many consoles, specifically because of the bills I was racking up.) I think I really started getting back into Kirby when my beloved Ultra was announced and released. Ever since I've been keeping up much better on Kirby and want to play them all. Finishing up Triple Deluxe right now, and I'm in the middle of Rainbow Curse. I want to go back and play Canvas Curse and Mass Attack too.

Btw, I really love how brutally hard the series is in the extra modes, and how interconnected and complex the series lore and story is.

Teknoman

Taking off into the shoot em up stage in Kirby Return to Dreamland. The music, environment, everything just combines perfectly.

Also how unusually strange and dark the final bosses are.

Kindekuma

Banned
No matter how many games I've played, intense, difficult, or violent, Kirby never fails to make me crack a smile and have fun. I swear this franchise has not had a bad game. Dream Course is such a good game to play with a friend, I can't believe it took me until recently to play that one after all the others. Triple Deluxe was my last mainline Kirby game, Squeak Squad coming before that, so maybe I should give Planet Robobot a try.

RCSI

Kirby: Canvas Curse was my first Kirby game and a memorable game. Need to go through and play the older games at some point.

RowdyReverb

I really appreciate how forgiving the games were. Dream Land and Adventure were some of the only games I could complete as a young child. When my kids are old enough to try games, I might start there

Unison

I'm really enjoying the Boss Rush f2p 3DS Kirby game that recently came out.... I'm up to level 27 and just unlocked the final ordeal. Threw it $5 on Sunday when the gem apples were on sale to support it.

H2x1_3DSDS_TeamKirbyClashDeluxe.jpg

me0wish

I was introduced to Kirby's Dream Land by my cousin, he didn't like it much because it was easy and short, but I instantly fell in love with it. I wouldn't see Kirby again till SSB64 it was so mind blowing to see Kirby and his level in color for the first time after all these years, I was so disappointed at first because he was pink, but his copy abilities and new moves quickly won me over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJd_d3fqFgs
Most underrated Kirby game.

I think for longer games that aren't broken up, Planet Robobot is the best paced Kirby.

For the 100%, the winner is Epic Yarn followed by Canvas Curse, really damn fun 100%.

Super Star Ultra has the best Scenario Variety.

Return to Dreamland is a bit slow but I loved the Extra Mode and challenge rooms.

Squeak Squad is probably my least favorite but it's my favorite set up in any kirby for how simple and yet ludicrous it is.

In general, you can say something really nice about any kirby game. They're very easy to like in general.

Favorite memory was going through The Great Cave Offensive in KSS as a kid and discovering the Mr. Saturn treasure. One of my favorite SNES games being referenced in another great SNES blew my pre-teen mind.

Kirby and The Amazing Mirror was the first game I ever 100%'d. It's still one of my absolute favorite games of all time, and I still enjoy going back and playing it every once in a while.

It's a crime that Kirby's Dream Course hasn't been revisited. Give me a 3D isometric sequel with rotating cameras and more of that physics based golf goodness.

And give it to me on
my cellphone

Neptonic

Kirby's Adventure was the only game I bought on Wii Virtual Console on my actual Wii. It was magical to 12 year old me. The level with the rotating tower was impressive to me for some reason, maybe because I'd never seen an NES game move like that before.
Also my sister can kick my ass in smash bros with Kirby so I see him quite often.

Favorite OST track has to either be Masked Dedede from Triple Deluxe, Fountain of Dreams from Air Ride/SSBM, or Green Greens from Epic Yarn.

Peltz

My favorites were the spinoffs, namely Canvas Curse and Tilt 'n Tumble. Dreamland 1, 2 and Adventure all have the best aesthetic though. Nothing beats 8-bit Kirby art. Crystal Shards is also extremely charming with that low poly aesthetic.
Spinoffs were my favorite too. Dreamcourse is still one of the best local multiplayer games ever made.

maxcriden

I think for longer games that aren't broken up, Planet Robobot is the best paced Kirby.

For the 100%, the winner is Epic Yarn followed by Canvas Curse, really damn fun 100%.

Super Star Ultra has the best Scenario Variety.

Return to Dreamland is a bit slow but I loved the Extra Mode and challenge rooms.

Squeak Squad is probably my least favorite but it's my favorite set up in any kirby for how simple and yet ludicrous it is.

In general, you can say something really nice about any kirby game. They're very easy to like in general.

I still have a ways to go to 100% Canvas Curse, much more left to do than in KEY or probably most Kirby's I've played and want to 100%. I think the game is probably bit for bit the hardest Kirby. Is that the general consensus? Mass Attack is very tough in parts, too, though. I'm trying to remember if Tilt'n'Tumble was difficult or not.

Top Bottom