• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

mcfrank

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

Let's start with Geekbench 4, which measures overall performance. On the multicore portion of this test, the iPhone 8 hit 10,170. That's 54 percent faster than the score from Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 — currently the fastest Android phone.
The Android competition wasn't close. The Note 8 scored 6,564, and that's with an impressive 6GB of RAM paired with Qualcomm's fast Snapdragon 835 chip. How about the OnePlus 5 and its 8GB of RAM and Snapdragon 835? That handset got 6,542. With 4GB of RAM, the Galaxy S8 scored 6,295 with the same processor.

If you're wondering how all this translates to real-world performance, we have more good news for iPhone 8 shoppers — and bad news for everyone else. To really put the A11 Bionic chip through its paces, we put the same 2-minute video, shot in 4K by a drone, on the iPhone 8, Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8+, and then added the same transitions and effects before exporting and saving the video.
The iPhone 8 finished this strenuous task in just 42 seconds, while the Note 8 took more than 3 minutes. The Galaxy S8+ took more than 4 minutes.

More at the link. Apple's chip design is so far ahead of the competition it is not even funny. It cannot be long before they replace the intel chips in Macs with their own chips.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I would love to see some real world comparisons over similar workflows between like iPhone 8 and an entry level Core i5.

Estellex

Phone are becoming exceedingly more powerful each year. Though I mostly just use my phone for texting and some apps like reddit and etc.

Not sure what people do with their phone that demand high performance.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apple have the best uarch on the planet ATM. People who've been following apple's SoC progress should not be surprised.

kirblar

Phone are becoming exceedingly more powerful each year. Though I mostly just use my phone for texting and some apps like reddit and etc.

They're turning into handheld laptops.

borghe

remember that at the moment, these CPUs are used in iPad and Apple TV as well. Also Apple has reportedly had (and we've seen leaked?) OS X/macOS running on ARM as well.
not so much phones (though we do "compute" with them more than people might think). but clearly with iPad Pro 10.5 and iOS 11, Apple has plans for tablets that are starting to sway people over (critics and consumers)

kingocfs

Getting close to just plugging our phones into monitors and using them like desktop computers.

Switch was ahead of its time
/s

How long do people think it would take for Apple to start making chips for their computers? And how long before it's better than Intel's offerings in terms of performance/power consumption?

It'll be interesting to see.

Fhtagn

I wonder if Apple is going to ditch Intel for their own chips for their Mac line up.

I think it'll be three or four years before an arm mac shows up, it'll happen around the time macOS goes 64 bit only, which if iOS is an example, will be three more macOS versions.

(High Sierra is the last macOS to run 32 bit without complaining, macOS late 2018 will complain, macOS late 2019 will probably be 64 bit only, then by 2020 I expect an A15 powered MacBook.)

Literally everything. They are handheld computers at this point. Well they have been for awhile, but people are using them as that more and more.

jwk94

Does this translate well into real-world usage? Like will it still be the fastest phone after months of usage, updates,and new apps?

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

More at the link. Apple's chip design is so far ahead of the competition it is not even funny. It cannot be long before the replace the intel chips in Macs with their own chips.

Apple is writing their own future with this stuff, beyond just the Mac business think about the augmented reality glasses that are in full development at Apple. That device is going to be their next big thing, if they can run an AR optimized version of iOS that has the ability to create a new market segment that will be iPhone size in popularity.

borghe

How long do people think it would take for Apple to start making chips for their computers? And how long before it's better than Intel's offerings in terms of performance/power consumption?

read the article. we are already there. the only difference that apple hasn't made any public push to move these into macs. But yeah, Apple's A#X architecture has now surpassed intel at the sub-workstation/server market.

Does this translate well into real-world usage? Like will it still be the fastest phone after months of usage, updates,and new apps?

the iphone 6s is still on par with this year's non-apple CPUs in single thread. The 7 is still faster than this year's non-Apple CPUs single thread. This is about 25-50% beyond the performance of the 7. multi-thread performance is a rough comparison as Qualcomm usually stocks 8 cores in their CPUs, even though most modern programming is still single or dual threaded at most. So single core performance is still the best real gauge we have.

blu

That's already the case.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Probably not

Of course YMMV, it depends on your usage of the device, but generally these benchmarks are a red herring.

ZOONAMI

In my experience iPhones stay snappy but even flagship androids start to turn into a laggy pos even with restarts and clearing cache within about a year of heavy use. If you do a factory reset it helps for a while but if you can’t have the apps on the phone you want all the time something isn’t right.

I just had a G6 and jumped to an iPhone 8+ with T-Mobile because the G6 was turning into laggy trash.

Man just think how fast people can look at instagram pictures with this.

Seems like a serious split between power users and casual users is going to happen.

DOWN

Banned
Generally iOS devices stay snappy for their first year because they are still running the same major version of iOS that they shipped and were tested on. They can lose some polish after big updates, but Apple is more committed to the UI looking and feeling polished in use than anyone else. Safari will always be fast and scroll smooth.

borghe

IPhone 8 plus vs Galaxy Note 8 speed test: https://youtu.be/_G4nbQ4cqe8

They both are very close.
The 2 distinct test he made show the advantages of iPhone and the advantages of Note 8.

But but the other article said iPhone is the world's fastest phone and it isn't even close :/

I mean that isn't even close to a speedtest... :\

read the article.. doing intensive graphic operations, the 8 performed the operations 66% faster than the Note8 (42 seconds compared to over 3 minutes)

ZOONAMI

Can you summarize this test/what advantages the Note 8 has?

Cuz It's not been remotely close for a while now.

The person doing the comparison declared the 8+ the winner, it was a very game centric comparison as well. The note managed to launch a few games faster than the iPhone. I don’t really know that this means anything whatsoever especially given the op showing both phones doing some heavy 4K video grunt work the iPhone kills the snapdragons.

borghe

These launch-an-app tests are the worst. Sustained in-app performance under CPU/GPU/storage pressure are key, just as with PC tests.

it's even in the video he linked...... yeah it starts up a little slower.. and then runs considerably worse.. umm.. but it's close (no, it's not)

mackattk

Goddamn. I'm generally an Android guy, but Snapdragons are weaksauce compared to Apple's SoCs.

Well Qualcomm has really had no competition in the US... so why should they put money forth to really innovate and break ground on faster processes? They are happy to take the paltry 5-10% increase in performance each generation.

I have always had an android phone as well. Thinking really hard about switching and might do it next year, especially if they implement USB-C on their phones instead of the lightning connector. In my mind having such a huge leap in CPU performance with the A11 chip, it should last and stay snappy 3-4 years, especially if Apple plans to support the iPhone 7 for awhile.

I am just so tired of android standby battery drain.

For that insane price is absolutely should be the fastest phone currently. That said, even the fastest phone is a crippled device for productivity.

Daedardus

So they did like two completely synthetic benchmarks, then claim it is 50% faster than all other smartphones and even faster than a cpu with 15 watt TDP, that's just wanting some fast clicks. Benchmarks always favor certain aspects over another (some benchmark for example, calculate fps powering the whole screen, but due to a different resolution lower resolutions might getter a better score because they power less pixels) and we do not know how much power the CPU was using at the time of the benchmark and if it was sustainable for longer periods. And is the video converting software even the same application? It's better to wait and see more detailed benchmarks to get a complete picture.

The A11 certainly is a nice piece of tech, but I wouldn't go around claiming this is magically faster than all competition and CPUs that have a far larger die size and power consumption.

BDGAME

Can you summarize this test/what advantages the Note 8 has?

Cuz It's not been remotely close for a while now.

The advantage of Note over iPhone is it can continue with most of the the already opened apps running in the background, while iPhone close them. This is thanks to the 6 GB of RAM on Note vs 3 on iPhone.

In a practical use, you can play a game, pause and see WhatsApp, them see some pictures on Instagram, look another software and back to your game exactly where you stop without a new load in any of these apps.

blu

IPhone 8 plus vs Galaxy Note 8 speed test: https://youtu.be/_G4nbQ4cqe8

They both are very close.
The 2 distinct test he made show the advantages of iPhone and the advantages of Note 8.
The only advantage Note has is twice the memory so it can cache some apps up. In compute performance these two devices are not even in the same class.

borghe

The advantage of Note over iPhone is it can continue with most of the the already opened apps running in the background, while iPhone close them. This is thanks to the 6 GB of RAM on Note vs 3 on iPhone.

In a practical use, you can play a game, pause and see WhatsApp, them see some pictures on Instagram, look another software and back to your game exactly where you stop without a new load in any of these apps.

you can in practical use on iPhone also. memory suspend states have been a thing in iOS for years now.

thank you. didn't know futuremark results were up. looking. geekbench had about 25% over A10.

Top Bottom