• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Pepboy

Phone are becoming exceedingly more powerful each year. Though I mostly just use my phone for texting and some apps like reddit and etc.

Not sure what people do with their phone that demand high performance.

No wonder. They need to make the newest version of OS run slower and slower on old phones so people have excuses to buy the latest models. With a 50% increase in cpu speed they can make the old phones run the OS a third as fast.

Jeffrey

I've seen a test where the iPhone 7 was significantly faster than the iPhone 8, so there are definitely software optimisation issues with the 8.
Seems like ios 11 is a shit show.

Ruining battery for old phones. Performance for iPhone 8 is all over the place. Hope they get their shit together before iPhone x.

Paying a grand for a half baked phone is not good.

EverVigilant

Neo Member
It’s actually amazing that so many people are so insecure about their little handheld device purchase that they don’t actually realise that in the time that Apple took ownership of their silicon, they have moved the needle on processor technology so far forwards that modern desktop cpus are being rivalled by a fanless processor that fits in a handheld device running on a motherfucking battery.

In a time where the future of mobile processors is literally unfolding in front of your eyes, the only thing you can think of is that it doesn’t make a difference to the speed of opening your twitter app? Stop worrying about the size of your proverbial dick and realise that Apple isn’t making these processors so that your current day use cases are milliseconds faster. They are doing this to make use cases that can’t happen yet a practical reality. It just so happens that it’s Apple that’s doing it and not those useless shits at Qualcomm and Intel.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In a time where the future of mobile processors is literally unfolding in front of your eyes, the only thing you can think of is that it doesn't make a difference to the speed of opening your twitter app?

but this has been processor development in a nutshell ever since the birth of the personal computer. People didn't care that their friend's IBM 8088 was way more powerful than their Apple IIe when all they were doing was typing in FredWriter and playing Bard's Tale 2 which was more than good enough for them. about the only processing advancements that people DID care about were graphics. I'd say people were more blown away by the jump from EGA to VGA than they were from the jump from 286 to 386 (both around the same time), even though the latter changed our world SIGNIFICANTLY more than the former.

Look at how unfazed the world in general was with the iPhone 5s and iOS 7 (aside from TouchID) when those of us in tech were like "holy fucking shit!?!?!?! Apple just dropped the world's first mobile 64-bit processor AND converted their entire OS over to 64-bit AND did this without anyone leaking it?? HOLY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while the rest of the world was literally (literally!!!!!) "meh, is 64-bit going to make Facebook run better? Then I don't care."

jm89

It’s actually amazing that so many people are so insecure about their little handheld device purchase that they don’t actually realise that in the time that Apple took ownership of their silicon, they have moved the needle on processor technology so far forwards that modern desktop cpus are being rivalled by a fanless processor that fits in a handheld device running on a motherfucking battery.

In a time where the future of mobile processors is literally unfolding in front of your eyes, the only thing you can think of is that it doesn’t make a difference to the speed of opening your twitter app? Stop worrying about the size of your proverbial dick and realise that Apple isn’t making these processors so that your current day use cases are milliseconds faster. They are doing this to make use cases that can’t happen yet a practical reality. It just so happens that it’s Apple that’s doing it and not those useless shits at Qualcomm and Intel.

Did you crawl out of some apple executives asshole? Calm down bro.

People don't buy devices on "use cases that can’t happen yet" they buy it for what it does. The mass majority are using their phones for stuff like twitter, facebook etc. So yeah speed of those apps do matter.

What?

Vagabundo

but this has been processor development in a nutshell ever since the birth of the personal computer. People didn't care that their friend's IBM 8088 was way more powerful than their Apple IIe when all they were doing was typing in FredWriter and playing Bard's Tale 2 which was more than good enough for them. about the only processing advancements that people DID care about were graphics. I'd say people were more blown away by the jump from EGA to VGA than they were from the jump from 286 to 386 (both around the same time), even though the latter changed our world SIGNIFICANTLY more than the former.

Look at how unfazed the world in general was with the iPhone 5s and iOS 7 (aside from TouchID) when those of us in tech were like "holy fucking shit!?!?!?! Apple just dropped the world's first mobile 64-bit processor AND converted their entire OS over to 64-bit AND did this without anyone leaking it?? HOLY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while the rest of the world was literally (literally!!!!!) "meh, is 64-bit going to make Facebook run better? Then I don't care."

I installed a maths coprocessor on my 386 - fried the board first time I tried it lol - that was a bump. My 486 had a Turbo button and you could see the diff with DOOM.

But EGA to VGA was a biggy, running Windows 3.11 on that was ace.

borghe

People don't buy devices on "use cases that can’t happen yet" they buy it for what it does. The mass majority are using their phones for stuff like twitter, facebook etc. So yeah speed of those apps do matter.

I mean... speed of those apps "matters", in that it takes nothing to run those apps.

I think what's interesting is that we've entered into a new era where essentially dumbphones still exist, but there's no clear cut delineation for dumbphone. Because that $150 phone that is good for practically nothing, can still adequately run facebook, twitter, send messages, etc. and it's still running android which means it has access to Google Play store, etc. a phone is a phone is a phone, and to one group of people this is true, and to another group of people, it couldn't be further from the truth. and neither group can believe the other's view point on what a phone is or should be.

again, back to my personal computing example... this has been the case since the birth of personal computing. when you've been in this as long as I have.. you just learn to let it go.. when you are just realizing this for the first time.. yeah, it's pretty damn shocking.

borghe

I installed a maths coprocessor on my 386 - fried the board first time I tried it lol - that was a bump. My 486 had a Turbo button and you could see the diff with DOOM.

But EGA to VGA was a biggy, running Windows 3.11 on that was ace.
the turbo button was actually counter intuitive. "turbo" was "default". a CPU runs at the CPU speed that a CPU runs at. Just like normal. However there were tons of programs that were coded based on "normal performance" of a 4Mhz 8088.. So when you'd go to use this productivity application at 12Mhz or 33Mhz, it was literally unusable. So you would "turn off" turbo (i.e. down clock it to 4Mhz).

Which was a ton of fun in The 7th Guest.. Where they had a game of Go... and it was coded in a way where it could perform a single move calculation in a single clock cycle..... dotdotdot.. So the faster your PC, the more unwinnable the game was. The cheat to this was in fact to hit the turbo button. cutting the game's ability to calculate 66,000 moves in one second to only 4,000 moves in one second. Eventually you could win by luck.

Lunaray

People don't buy devices on "use cases that can't happen yet" they buy it for what it does. The mass majority are using their phones for stuff like twitter, facebook etc. So yeah speed of those apps do matter.

Unless you change your phone every year, I always thought the more relevant metric is how likely is it that your phone will be able to run those apps smoothly 2-3 years from now. That's why faster processing power is still a selling point to me.

Benchmarks between stock phones is useful because 95% of buyers will be using them in that state.

Benchmarks of the same device rooted to eliminate all bloat are also useful for a variety of reasons, especially to find out what modifications have the largest practical impact.

That all said, what does a rooted/cleaned up Note 8 benchmark?

I'm not denying that. I'm not denying that this Apple chip is superior (that is undeniable).

All I'm saying is that these review sites are misrepresenting certain products. You can easily find Galaxy S8 benchmarks on the Geekbench Browser north of 7000, but look at the number they use. You can find 3DMark benchmarks where the iPhone 8 is in like 12th place (Sling Shot is one of them), but that is never represented here. The difference between 6300 and 7000 isn't much (Geekbench), but it paints a more accurate picture. Here's an interview with the creator of Geekbench that hints at reviewers handling these wrong:

Steven: Speaking of background tasks, it seems that a lot of reviewers that ran some of the first benchmarks of Geekbench 4, and I’m not going to name names here, but it seems like a lot of people have been not properly killing all background apps, not doing it from a fresh start, stuff like that. Do you guys care that some news sources aren’t really representing Geekbench properly?

John: We would like everybody to sort of take a certain amount of care. If you’re looking at hardware, if you’re trying to sort of say “We’re coming up with the platonic ideal. This is the best score for the device”, then yeah, I really care about like “Are you doing this in the right way?” Are you making sure your phone is completely up to date? Maybe, to make absolutely sure, are you turning off your Wi-Fi connection?”, something like that. Are you making sure you don’t have like Spotify running in the background pumping the latest jams (or whatever it is the kids call it these days)? At the same time, people run their phones in all sorts of environments. I mean you look at, again I will name names, you look at ASUS phones, and they just have a tremendous amount of crap on them. Whereas you look at a Nexus device, and that basically is sort of nice shiny, and you launch, it will update some things, and then you’re good to go.

You can read the full thing here.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean... speed of those apps "matters", in that it takes nothing to run those apps.

I think what's interesting is that we've entered into a new era where essentially dumbphones still exist, but there's no clear cut delineation for dumbphone. Because that $150 phone that is good for practically nothing, can still adequately run facebook, twitter, send messages, etc. and it's still running android which means it has access to Google Play store, etc. a phone is a phone is a phone, and to one group of people this is true, and to another group of people, it couldn't be further from the truth. and neither group can believe the other's view point on what a phone is or should be.

again, back to my personal computing example... this has been the case since the birth of personal computing. when you've been in this as long as I have.. you just learn to let it go.. when you are just realizing this for the first time.. yeah, it's pretty damn shocking.
But computers still exist and are vastly more powerful than the most advanced phone. The majority of the advantages of smart phones are in convenience. I mean what new things can you do that you couldn't do with say a galaxy S3.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But computers still exist and are vastly more powerful than the most advanced phone. The majority of the advantages of smart phones are in convenience. I mean what new things can you do that you couldn't do with say a galaxy S3.
Phones are computers. Phones today are 'vastly more powerful' than my first personal computer. Phones today do things that my first PC would not even dream of. More computational power in a computing device -> more possibilities for that device to do things previously impossible. What's so hard to see in this trend? Why are we even discussing that matter?

DonMigs85

In terms of CPU grunt this phone can actually trade blows with or even exceed many high end laptops.
Even back in 2013 high-end phones of the time were already about as powerful as the fastest desktop computers from 2005.

valkyre

Beta 11.1 is now available and upon installing it the RAM usage is back to ios10 levels fixed for me.

I guess those speed tests will need an update.

LordOfChaos

I mean, what new things can you do on a 8700K that you couldn't do on a Core 2 Duo T6500?

The latter still does the majority of things the former does, the difference is speed, and sometimes to the point where the latter feels unusably slow.

The GS3 may not specifically be there yet where anything is unusable (I dunno, snapchat was pretty horrible on an iphone 5 i saw recently, S3 is about that speed), but certainly a phone that does what you wish as instantaneously as possible is just...Nice.

Me, I'm a simple man, I like everything I have to be as fast as possible, at least to the point of an optimal cost curve (i.e not paying Intel 150% more for that last 20%), and as a silicon junkie when a company is beating the rest of the industry by almost double, and carries that lead for years, that's certainly just interesting.

(this is all also leaving alone that Apple pretty much matched full on Kaby Lake mobile IPC...In a phone).

Beta 11.1 is now available and upon installing it the RAM usage is back to ios10 levels fixed for me.

I guess those speed tests will need an update.

Yeah, back to iOS though, hopefully 11.1 is the one they should have waited to release...I'd be fine with them slowing down their software release cadence for more consistant quality, Apple just doesn't seem capable of a yearly macOS, iOS, WatchOS, TVOS, and whatever else derivatives thereof, without bugs skyrocketing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean, what new things can you do on a 8700K that you couldn't do on a Core 2 Duo T6500?

The latter still does the majority of things the former does, the difference is speed, and sometimes to the point where the latter feels unusably slow.

The GS3 may not specifically be there yet where anything is unusable (I dunno, snapchat was pretty horrible on an iphone 5 i saw recently, S3 is about that speed), but certainly a phone that does what you wish as instantaneously as possible is just...Nice.

Me, I'm a simple man, I like everything I have to be as fast as possible, at least to the point of an optimal cost curve (i.e not paying Intel 150% more for that last 20%), and as a silicon junkie when a company is beating the rest of the industry by almost double, and carries that lead for years, that's certainly just interesting.
Right, but no-one would argue that even if the core-i9 gave real world performance worse than an i7, that it was ok because intel were making it for future unknown use cases.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the 8 really faster than the X?

I don't think we know for sure yet as the X has not been sent out yet, but they should be very nearly the same speed as they run on the same chips. It could be slightly slower as it runs at a higher resolution, but its hard to say if that will be noticeable.

I'm no expert, but that is my lay understanding of it.

KHarvey16

Perhaps the notion of a horribly controlled speed test experiment itself (like all these).

I like to take a second and imagine reputable publications testing the latest PC hardware by booting up windows and seeing how fast it opens various components of the Microsoft Office suite compared to the competition.

is there anything more annoying than a guy narrating a phone speed face off?

Also, is this really how speed tests are done on phones? I watched that and thought it was kind of a joke. I understand that they are trying to test "real-world" uses, but when you're pointing and differences in app loading times that are tenths of seconds it seems strange to use a method that has so many variables that are not really dependent on the phone's speed. Its just a person clicking to open the apps as fast as they can with their fingers plus many of the apps have to reach out to a server before they start up which could respond at difference latencies even for phones on the same network. Also, many of the apps start up so quickly that I doubt throwing a faster processor at them could make any difference at all.

It would be like: Lets test this i7 against this i3. *clicks to open notepad on both computers and measures time difference*

I like to take a second and imagine reputable publications testing the latest PC hardware by booting up windows and seeing how fast it opens various components of the Microsoft Office suite compared to the competition.

We seem to be on the same wavelength today.

LordOfChaos

Right, but no-one would argue that even if the core-i9 gave real world performance worse than an i7, that it was ok because intel were making it for future unknown use cases.

Everyone would also understand that something with performance of 10 would carry you into the future with more ease than something of performance of 6, and software gets more demanding over time.

If you upgrade every year, all of this barely makes a difference, sure. But it's part of why, say, the 6 is still viable to date, if you hang onto things for a while.

badb0y

Apple has had a superior SoC since... iPhone 5S? I’m not sure why people are always surprised to learn this, it’s not exactly new information. Back then it was pretty massive though because part of Android’s appeal was its superior hardware and Apple pretty much destroyed that.

Everyone would also understand that something with performance of 10 would carry you into the future with more ease than something of performance of 6, and software gets more demanding over time.

If you upgrade every year, all of this barely makes a difference, sure. But it's part of why, say, the 6 is still viable to date, if you hang onto things for a while.

I have a 5S. It is starting to slow down, and I'd like a better camera and bigger screen. So I'm going back and forth between a Galaxy S8 and an IPhone 8. The S8 is sexier and has a bigger screen, but the iPhone seems more future-proof, which is probably going to be the decisive factor for me. Not totally decided yet, though, open to input.

JavyOO7

I'm not surprised that the iPhone8 is fast... Apple seems to give a shit about stuff like this. I'd be even happier if they gave a poop about a next gen Mac Mini... (;

LordOfChaos

I'm not surprised that the iPhone8 is fast... Apple seems to give a shit about stuff like this. I'd be even happier if they gave a poop about a next gen Mac Mini... (;

Like, for craps sake, the A10X Apple TV is now significantly more powerful than the Mac Mini.

That form factor, since it already has active cooling, with a few TB3 ports and more RAM/NAND would be a pretty interesting next Mini, and an interesting first inflection point for ARM Macs...

Palladium

Neo Member
I'm an Android guy (last iPhone I had was the 5s) but Apple's been in the lead with their mobile chips ever since they made the switch to 64-bit and Qualcomm was left flat footed. Qualcomm's cpu's are pretty much stock ARM cpu cores at the moment.

Everyone outside Apple is using stock ARM cores now, only under pig lipsticks. IMO, the underlying cost-benefit economics no longer make sense for custom non-Apple; the combined shipments of Exynos 8895 and SD835 in whole of 2017 probably wouldn't match iPhone in one holiday quarter, and Apple is smarter than QC as they can "sell" their Ax chips into an iPhone with has a comparatively huge retail price tag than selling the chips per se at much lower margins like QC does.

Top Bottom