• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Meadows

Banned
I came into this thread to see what's going on as I don't follow phones at all and was looking for views on whether to get the 8.

Holy shit, I can't believe the fanboy mentality still exists about this stuff. I stopped browsing Gaming five years ago so I forgot what this kind of tribalism looked like, but it's crazy to see that it still goes on.

I came into this thread to see what's going on as I don't follow phones at all and was looking for views on whether to get the 8.

Holy shit, I can't believe the fanboy mentality still exists about this stuff. I stopped browsing Gaming five years ago so I forgot what this kind of tribalism looked like, but it's crazy to see that it still goes on.

agreed.

KeRaSh

Is this suppose to mean something? Being able to edit video faster (or do tasks) faster improves productivity. Can't say that for pumping screen resolution to 4K

Yes, productivity is important, but so is the viewing experience. Different people have different priorities. Dismissing one in favor of the other is dumb no matter what camp you belong to.

Jeffrey

Haven't had an iPhone since I gave my 6s plus to mom.

Quick questions.

With ios 11 is there an easy way for me to copy files onto the iPhone on my windows pc or still gotta go through iTunes?

Are there any torrent clients?

Can ios playback webms?

numble

Quick questions.

With ios 11 is there an easy way for me to copy files onto the iPhone on my windows pc or still gotta go through iTunes?

The iOS 11 files app supports Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Transmit, so as long as you get a file onto those services, it can get into your iPhone.

NinjaBoiX

What's the point? Like seriously, "it can render a 4K video with transitional effects really quick". Whoopee shit, when are you ever going to do that on your phone?

I still have an 6S and it doesn't hesitate for a second to carry out any task I ask of it, everything is instant. This seems like a worthless upgrade, I wouldn't even notice it!

skybald

What's the point? Like seriously, "it can render a 4K video with transitional effects really quick". Whoopee shit, when are you ever going to do that on your phone?

I still have an 6S and it doesn't hesitate for a second to carry out any task I ask of it, everything is instant. This seems like a worthless upgrade, I wouldn't even notice it!

Maybe it is because I have a 6 (what's RAM lol) but my phone does not carry out simple tasks (very) smoothly like I think it should. Like if dialer, camera, and safari opened instantly I would not even think about getting another phone, but as it stands, the constant updates = slowdowns gets annoying after only 2 years.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yes, productivity is important, but so is the viewing experience. Different people have different priorities. Dismissing one in favor of the other is dumb no matter what camp you belong to.

Umm, its a long stretch to say viewing experience by 4k res is as important as productivity there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Quick questions.

Are there any torrent clients?

Can ios playback webms?
Posts like this is why this thread needs to officially die. Thread is just pure salt at this point.

Oxn

Maybe it is because I have a 6 (what's RAM lol) but my phone does not carry out simple tasks (very) smoothly like I think it should. Like if dialer, camera, and safari opened instantly I would not even think about getting another phone, but as it stands, the constant updates = slowdowns gets annoying after only 2 years.

I also upgraded from a 6+ to the 8+.

Night and day difference in speed. I use to dread doing task on my phone but instead pick up my ipad. Now i find chances to use my iphone instead.

But if you upgrade from a 6S or later, its probably not the best idea.

valkyre

But dont you get it? The reason why your 6s is fast and doesnt hesitate 2 years after it was released and while running the latest IOS11, which means it will continue to be smooth for another year, is because of Apple equipping this machine with powerful CPU/GPU at the time of its release...

This is further proof that iphone is way more future proof than any android phone out there. 6s is still after 2 full years one of the fastest available phones in the market.

It is going to be similar for people who adopt an iphone 8 or an iphone X this year... they pretty much can be rest assured that their phones will be top performers even after 3 years of ownership.

Iphone is, especially now where the power gap is enormous, by far the best investment for someone like me who upgrades every 2-3 years. In fact I own an 6s and I am even thinking of skipping this year's upgrade, exactly because my phone performs absolutely great with ios11. It certainly wont feel like a 3 year old phone.

And that is a huge deal and I am pretty amazed that it is often overlooked in these discussions.

Why don't people talk about how dated iphone 8's design is, for instance, or how lame the X's huge bezels are instead? I would enjoy that more than seeing people trying to sell Android phones for their 'more bang for the buck' for the umpteenth time.

Why don't people talk about how dated iphone 8's design is, for instance, or how lame the X's huge bezels are instead? I would enjoy that more than seeing people trying to sell Android phones for their 'more bang for the buck' for the umpteenth time.

People do talk about those things, in threads where those topics would be relevant.

borghe

because talking about that stuff (along with everything else they are trying to force into here) in a thread about CPU performance is... trolling and non-constructive?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Well if you record 4K video (supported since at least the 6s) you might want to do some basic trimming or merge a couple of clips before sharing. Doesn’t seem that wild a use case

Fhtagn

There's an old saying I heard. Goes something like "if they only allow you to talk about what they excel at, they will always seem excellent." Think it applies here....

Why are you so worked up about this that you keep coming back to say vague snipey crap for days and days?

Even your unsupported take, that Apple is consistently 6-9 months ahead, still makes Apple look nice and everyone else wack, so...

Lunaray

I'm surprised at all the people who made statements about how unnecessary that power is. This makes me wonder if most people commenting here are those in that switch their phones every year.

I use phones for a long time, typically about 3 years, and IMO this is the most important factor dictating my purchasing decision moving forward. I have used 3 smart phones in the last 10 years, and every single time, what made me move forward to a new phone was that my existing phone no longer had sufficient processing power to run updated apps smoothly, or the latest OS version.

rambis

Banned
Why are you so worked up about this that you keep coming back to say vague snipey crap for days and days?

This thread keeps getting bumped and the same stupid shit keeps getting said. "Oh the poor android fanboys won't let us circle jerk in peace, pathetic."
Even your unsupported take, that Apple is consistently 6-9 months ahead, still makes Apple look nice and everyone else wack, so.

Lol wtf is this? Apple when they launch is usually the top phone for about 6 months, until it gets overtaken by usually another android. They aren't "consistently 6 months ahead" of anybody outside of ST perf. This disengenousness is fucking hilarious though, I will give you that.

MercuryLS3

I'm surprised at all the people who made statements about how unnecessary that power is. This makes me wonder if most people commenting here are those in that switch their phones every year.

I use phones for a long time, typically about 3 years, and IMO this is the most important factor dictating my purchasing decision moving forward. I have used 3 smart phones in the last 10 years, and every single time, what made me move forward to a new phone was that my existing phone no longer had sufficient processing power to run updated apps smoothly, or the latest OS version.

Exactly, processing power matters as these OS's and apps keep growing in their capabilities.

LordOfChaos

All that power and all that RAM... what is Samsung doing to Android that's making it so much more ineffective than iOS? Or is this on Google?

Reading this thread, it's starting to sound like a Qualcomm problem.

It's partly on Samsung software, because if you look at the Oneplus five that can only have as good a chip as Samsung does, it does much better vs the iPhone (than samsung) in multitasking tests. Samsung for years has evicted things from RAM too aggressively, I do not know why, so even cheaper alternatives do better.

The rest of it is just Apple having the best SoC right now, and partly Android stuff like garbage collection having a RAM overhead (2GB has been great on the 7 pre-iOS11 [probably be better by .1 or .2], while it's pretty well the absolute minimum for Android).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQtCeAJBp1A

The biggest issue with the 6 series was the ram. 1gb was not enough and Apple fucked up, 6s onwards fixed that. 7 was even better giving the plus model 3gb or ram.

They did move to 2GB far too slowly, the 6 would still have a pretty good processor if not for the RAM clearing things out too much.

2 still feels good to me on my 7 (and 3 for the Plus), but I'm surprised the X gets no more than the Plus, even just to 4GB for a bit more future proofing.

MercuryLS3

I also upgraded from a 6+ to the 8+.

Night and day difference in speed. I use to dread doing task on my phone but instead pick up my ipad. Now i find chances to use my iphone instead.

But if you upgrade from a 6S or later, its probably not the best idea.

The biggest issue with the 6 series was the ram. 1gb was not enough and Apple fucked up, 6s onwards fixed that. 7 was even better giving the plus model 3gb or ram.

borghe

This thread keeps getting bumped and the same stupid shit keeps getting said. "Oh the poor android fanboys won't let us circle jerk in peace, pathetic."

Lol wtf is this? Apple when they launch is usually the top phone for about 6 months, until it gets overtaken by usually another android. They aren't "consistently 6 months ahead" of anybody outside of ST perf. This disengenousness is fucking hilarious though, I will give you that.

thread gets bumped with "but can it download torrents?". who is being disingenuous with their claims? there is a gulf between "completely irrelevant to the topic at hand" and "circle jerk".

"next android phone comes out on top." by what metric? Who is moving goal posts? Not by single core metrics. Not by on-screen GPU metrics. Not by real world computationally expensive workflow metrics. you say "look at this one benchmark where android wins. all other benchmarks are worthless" and then cite OTHERS for moving goal posts.

ridiculous. your points have been obliterated, and for the past number of pages you've resorted to standard mud slinging just trying to remain relevant. pathetic.

Flo_Evans

ITT: I need to edit 4K video on my phone as fast as possible.
Also ITT: Why the fuck would I need a 4K screen on my phone?

thisisneogaf.gif

My real camera is 36mp, it shoots 7306x4876. The rear LCD screen is 640x480. It would be stupid to put a full res screen on the back at 3". No camera on earth actually displays the full res of the pictures it takes.

rambis

Banned
thread gets bumped with "but can it download torrents?". who is being disingenuous with their claims? there is a gulf between "completely irrelevant to the topic at hand" and "circle jerk".

"next android phone comes out on top." by what metric? Who is moving goal posts? Not by single core metrics. Not by on-screen GPU metrics. Not by real world computationally expensive workflow metrics.

ridiculous. your points have been obliterated, and for the past number of pages you've resorted to standard mud slinging just trying to remain relevant. pathetic.

When an apple fan tries to play up the "onscreen" benchmarks of their ridiculously low resolution phone you know its gonna be a good time.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/galaxy-s8,iphone-7/
http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/la...alaxy-s7-edge/

you say "look at this one benchmark where android wins. all other benchmarks are worthless" and then cite OTHERS for moving goal posts.

I would LOVE for you to point out ONE time where this happened.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My real camera is 36mp, it shoots 7306x4876. The rear LCD screen is 640x480. It would be stupid to put a full res screen on the back at 3". No camera on earth actually displays the full res of the pictures it takes.
Par for the course. In this thread people have been clueless about:

how benchmarks work
how cameras work
how upgrading phones on a long term (3+ years) works

Of course, if not having a clue ever stopped anybody from commenting, this thread would've been a fraction of its present self. So I foresee more and more pages of the above, plus things we've not seen yet.

borghe

When an apple fan tries to play up the "onscreen" benchmarks of their ridiculously low resolution phone you know its gonna be a good time.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/galaxy-s8,iphone-7/
http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/la...alaxy-s7-edge/
ooh list wars.

you realize that all of the on-screen tests are rendered at the same resolution per test on all platforms, then hardware scaled to the display resolution, right?

https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/android
https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/ios

Sling Shot's Graphics tests are rendered at 1920 × 1080 then scaled to your device's display resolution.

Ice Storm Extreme raises the rendering resolution from 1280 × 720 to 1920 × 1080 and uses higher quality textures and post-processing effects in the Graphics tests.

from both pages. unless you are really truly insisting that the hardware scaling is solely what causes android to fall behind....

Lunaray

"next android phone comes out on top." by what metric? Who is moving goal posts? Not by single core metrics. Not by on-screen GPU metrics. Not by real world computationally expensive workflow metrics. you say "look at this one benchmark where android wins. all other benchmarks are worthless" and then cite OTHERS for moving goal posts.

Every Apple thread has a fair share of partisans looking to drag Apple through the mud no matter what the topic at hand is. It's been a constant refrain since before even the iPhone.

As opposed to Samsung who are rendering at lower resolutions anyway and upscaling to the panel resolution?

borghe

Hey rambis, what resolution does the iPhone render at?

I covered it above. The android and ios tests render at identical resolutions and then use the OS View APIs to scale to the screen resolutions. He is flat out wrong. His goal posts are in the parking lot at this point.

D6AMIA6N

I'm legit curious, why do people get so worked up in these threads? It is a thread about cell phones!? Who fucking cares! People act like because they own one or the other, they have some vested interest in these products succeeding...as if they had some hand in the development, building, sale, anything....

wtf

EverVigilant

Neo Member
Someone better call qualcomm to tell them to stop investing in making their chips faster. The neogaf android experts have decided that any further performance increases won’t affect real world performance.

rambis

Banned
ooh list wars.

you realize that all of the on-screen tests are rendered at the same resolution per test on all platforms, then hardware scaled to the display resolution, right?

https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/android
https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/ios

from both pages. unless you are really truly insisting that the hardware scaling is solely what causes android to fall behind....

Im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you conviently missed this paragraph, twice..

You can also run this test offscreen using Unlimited mode to compare CPUs and GPUs.

You do not use onscreen tests to compare phones. I don't know why this has to be explained.

I also love how you completely ignored gfxbench...

Im still waiting on this as well,

I would LOVE for you to point out ONE time where this happened.
As opposed to Samsung who are rendering at lower resolutions anyway and upscaling to the panel resolution?

Idk what you are referencing but this doesn't happen on my phone..

I'm legit curious, why do people get so worked up in these threads? It is a thread about cell phones!? Who fucking cares! People act like because they own one or the other, they have some vested interest in these products succeeding...as if they had some hand in the development, building, sale, anything....

wtf

Tribalism.

The same reason people get so wrapped up in game consoles and sports teams and just about anything else you can wrap your ego into.

Flo_Evans

wtf

I think I actually own more google stocks than apple... hmm iPhone sux get an android people!

StoopKid

wtf

Have you seen gaming side? Lol

Fhtagn

Its interesting that you apparently expect us to give you the benefit of the doubt on your sloppy sentence construction but require the rest of us to fill in the blanks on the obvious context.

If, as you say, Apple is generally 6-9 months ahead (which is how you characterized it earlier in this thread) at release, and have been for years, they have consistently, for years, been 6-9 months ahead at release.

They are a year ahead in single thread performance, which despite everyone in CS's immense efforts still has the most important practical affect on user experience.

I expect you'll reply to this with "lol" and "fucking hilarious" again.

ty_hot

Apple's SoC has always been faster, but this time it just shits on the... competition?

Ofc for 99% of the people processing a 4k video isnt a thing, but it just shows how much horsepower it has. It can just be a little bit faster loadings in light apps nowadays, but noones knows how things will be in a few years. AR and stuff.

How does it compare with the iPad Pro (2017) SoC?

borghe

Im gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you conviently missed this paragraph, twice..

you mean the unlimited tests, where iphone 8 won both?
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPhone+8/review
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Samsung+Galaxy+S8+(MSM8998)/review

and where iPhone 7 beat S8+ in Ice Storm Unlimited at half the cores of the S8+ (which contribute to it winning the Unlimited SlingShot).
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPhone+7/review

So again, the S8+ doesn't even have a fully qualified win over the iPhone 7, released a year ago, as it loses to everything on 7 aside from highly-artificial multi-threaded tests where its 8-cores beat 7's 4 cores through pure brute strength.

Which has literally been the same story every year since the iPhone 5s. The FOLLOWING Android/Samsung release only beats the PREVIOUS iPhone release on extreme multi-threading or artificial physics tests, while that previous iPhone beats the year-later Android on everything else (single-core, real world multi-threaded performance, IPS, etc)

This narrative that they "trade blows" every year is flat out wrong, and has been since the iPhone 5s. Android will often win against the year-prior-iPhone on highly threaded benchmarks, and the year-before-iPhone will win on literally every other performance benchmark. Then the new iPhone comes out (same year as Samsung) and beats it on highly threaded benchmarks, and everything else, etc. THAT cycle repeats.. but iPhone is certainly not the one playing "keep up" there.

Why is everyone still replying to that guy?

It’s obvious he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and he won’t stop coming back with the same tired process of “lul ur tests arenwrong! The newest Android has higher numbers than that year old iPhone here and here. *ignores the wins that iPhone has on literally every other benchmark* lmaooooooo pathetic!”

rambis

Banned
Its interesting that you apparently expect us to give you the benefit of the doubt on your sloppy sentence construction but require the rest of us to fill in the blanks on the obvious context.

If, as you say, Apple is generally 6-9 months ahead (which is how you characterized it earlier in this thread) at release, and have been for years, they have consistently, for years, been 6-9 months ahead at release.

They are a year ahead in single thread performance, which despite everyone in CS's immense efforts still has the most important practical affect on user experience.

I expect you'll reply to this with "lol" and "fucking hilarious" again.

First off I have never claimed Apple is usually 6-9 months ahead. Please point to where I have or STOP SAYING IT. Its dumb af. By your same logic the flagship Androids are 6-9months ahead of Apple as well.

you mean the unlimited tests, where iphone 8 won both?
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPhone+8/review
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Samsung+Galaxy+S8+(MSM8998)/review

So again, the S8+ doesn't even have a fully qualified win over the iPhone 7, released a year ago, as it loses to everything on 7 aside from highly-artificial multi-threaded tests where its 8-cores beat 7's 4 cores through pure brute strength.

Which has literally been the same story every year since the iPhone 5s. The FOLLOWING Android/Samsung release only beats the PREVIOUS iPhone release on extreme multi-threading or artificial physics tests, while that previous iPhone beats the year-later Android on everything else (single-core, real world multi-threaded performance, IPS, etc)

This narrative that they "trade blows" every year is flat out wrong, and has been since the iPhone 5s. Android will often win against the year-prior-iPhone on highly threaded benchmarks, and the year-before-iPhone will win on literally every other performance benchmark. Then the new iPhone comes out (same year as Samsung) and beats it on highly threaded benchmarks, and everything else, etc. THAT cycle repeats.. but iPhone is certainly not the one playing "keep up" there.

You accuse me of moving goalposts(which I have asked for evidence of) yet you do it in every post. Yes, the September 17 iPhone 8 is stronger than the March 17 S8. Not sure how this has fuck all to do with what we were discussing but ok.

The rest of your post is mostly unsupported garbage. Apple generally holds an advantage of ST performance and thats about it. You can't ignore empirical conclusions with your fan fiction. Sorry.

I will address this though...
and where iPhone 7 beat S8+ in Ice Storm Unlimited at half the cores of the S8+ (which contribute to it winning the Unlimited SlingShot).
https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPhone+7/review

No, you cannot use user submitted scores as a accurate benchmark. Don't know why this has to be explained.

borghe

No, you cannot use user submitted scores as a accurate benchmark. Don't know why this has to be explained.

umm... it's literally the same scoring methodology of everything posted (including the stuff you agree with)

Updated September 12, 2017 based on 3DMark submits in the last 30 days
on all three pages. reading comprehension and all of that.

The rest of your post is mostly unsupported garbage.
https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

2013 5s: 1267
2014 Galaxy S5: 1007

2014 6: 1458
2015 S6: 1312

2015 6s: 2380
2016 S7: 1804

2016 7: 3444
2017 S8: 1967

Yup, unsupporte... Oh wait.

IceCold

wtf

It's because when people spend a lot of dough on a product they want to feel like they made the right decision.

umm... it's literally the same scoring methodology of everything posted (including the stuff you agree with)

on all three pages. reading comprehension and all of that.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

2013 5s: 1267
2014 Galaxy S5: 1007

2014 6: 1458
2015 S6: 1312

2015 6s: 2380
2016 S7: 1804

2016 7: 3444
2017 S8: 1967

Yup, unsupporte... Oh wait.

But you’re only talking about single core, which we all know absolutely doesn’t count because reasons.

Top Bottom