• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Vamphuntr

Sorry but this isn't on the side of opinions.
What matters is not your perspective on events but the reality of the events ..

If a game offer a non linear progression but you choose to ignore it and go to the next event , this isn't the game fault ... the fact remains that the game is not linear ..

there is a clear difference between "the game didn't tell me " and "the game told me but i didn't understand the hint" as seen in the dark/demon soul problem here...

Not getting the hint doesn't mean that no hints are given.

And in the same way , choosing to ignore the side stuff and then saying it's linear in the same problem... The game is not linear ... by logical means of understanding regular humans use.

YOu cannot just say " this is more linear than pong"
TROLLFACE.jpg
and expect me to just agree to his opinion when
-The comparaison is unfair/dumb
-The argument/cause can be proven wrong by simple facts.

This is the line between opinions and unfairness/dumbness ...everyone opinions are their own , mine included but when its' not opinion but facts can prove you wrong , it becomes fair game and you HAVE to be able to backup your claims to be taken seriously.

The pong line is going too far but I do agree that it's a linear game to me. You don't really have a choice to where you go in the main plot. You follow the quest marker to the next location. That's linear to me in comparison to other game where you at least have choices about how to tackle the story. For instance, DAO has you choosing which alliance to forge first and this in turn impact the order of which you tackle the game's dungeons. Some games also offers different pathways at some point in the game too like the Witcher or some of the SMT games. Xenoblade doesn't have these possibilities in its story.

The fact you can do 650 fetch quests and can explore huge areas doesn't affect the order you can tackle the story in Xenoblade. Linearity is not on my laundry list of issues with the game but I can understand the gripe if you play a lot of WRPG. Saying to someone is a dumb human being is certainly not the best way to validate your view point.

Post like these is essentially why I think we need these kind of thread. Can you imagine 20 people replying with stuff like I quoted in a OT when you don't agree with them? Whoa.

Kusagari

Some of the stuff in here blows my mind. People complaining 999 had too much text, that the Souls games and Catherine were too hard...

What the fuck did you people read?

Did you just see someone say "THESE GAMES ARE AWESOME" and run out to buy them without a second thought?

Orayn

Some of the stuff in here blows my mind. People complaining 999 had too much text, that the Souls games and Catherine were too hard...

What the fuck did you people read?

Did you just see someone say "THESE GAMES ARE AWESOME" and run out to buy them without a second thought?

The Dark Souls OT promised me a romantic comedy that would tug on my heartstrings and tickle my funny bone, delivered in the form of a cel-shaded point and click adventure game. Needless to say, I didn't get that, but I still like it.

The Dark Souls OT promised me a romantic comedy that would tug on my heartstrings and tickle my funny bone, delivered in the form of a cel-shaded point and click adventure game. Needless to say, I didn't get that, but I still like it.

Lol.

Typically if a game is getting a lot of talk and praise, yeah I'm going to take interests in a game. I like to be well rounded in games and will try games that are getting a lot of talk, because I just want to see for myself what it's about.

ronito

Scribblenauts: after the initial novelty wears off it's crap
Skies of Arcadia: Too many random encounters
Legend of Heroes: TiTs: Pacing was terrible

Ace Attorney is the game you're referring to. Professor Layton is a much better game in my opinion, worth trying out if you like puzzle games - saying that now though, I can probably expect a post from you about how over hyped the PL games were :p

Ah yeah, that is the one. And no, I'm pretty open-minded with games, I try before I usually say anything about a game unless it's just discussion about upcoming games. Otherwise I have a different variety of games for sure in my top 10 lists.

Kusagari

Scribblenauts: after the initial novelty wears off it's crap
Skies of Arcadia: Too many random encounters
Legend of Heroes: TiTs: Pacing was terrible

To be fair, I think most of GAF ended up not exactly liking Scribblenauts. All of the ridiculous hype before it came out tricked people into buying it though.

El Sloth

Banned
I kind of regret trading in my copy of TWEWY. I wasn't a GAF member yet when I bought it, but I think hearing Nomura's name attached is what drew me to buy it in the first place. I just didn't understand it at the time and I was in a phase where I had been sick of JRPGs and the like, which I've since 180-ed. I might have to buy it again though even though I have Xenoblade and two DQ games to get through while waiting on The Last Story and KH3D.
I'd recommend going into the game with realistic expectations. Don't go into the thing expecting the next best thing since sliced bread. Also, have patience but don't force yourself through something you're not enjoying. The game is not for everyone.

Amir0x

Banned
Enslaved

GAF said:

If you like BG&E you'll like this... The combat and platforming are not particularly difficult (it's simplistic in a way similar to stuff like BG&E, really), but that doesn't mean it isn't still enjoyable.

Combat definitely ramps up, however, and begins to require some real effort at points. You don't exactly have a huge wealth of moves, but what you have is fun to use and the combat focuses more on crowd control and dodging attacks.

The platforming is very simplistic, however, but it feels enjoyable simply due to the types of environments you'll be moving through.

What makes the game very BG&E like for me, gameplay wise, is how they mix and match a slew of gameplay concepts and present them in a very pure form. It's simple but effective.

I said:

Shit combat, shit framerate, shit story, shit controls, shitty controller lag, shit inconsistent visuals, shit soundtrack...

...um, good facial animation? FUCK you for tickling my weak spot and saying it's like BG&E, you fucking asshole. The two are nothing alike!

Between this and many on GAF's comically misleading analysis of Nier, I learned my lesson. Until the next time I am stupid enough to get caught up in the HYPE. Happens to me every. single. time.

Gravijah

Between this and many on GAF's comically misleading analysis of Nier, I learned my lesson. Until the next time I am stupid enough to get caught up in the HYPE. Happens to me every. single. time.

if you know what you enjoy it's next to impossible to get let down. you people gotta LOOK INSIDE YOUR HEARTS.

INSIDE.

El Sloth

Banned
this is how i approach almost everything i play. i don't let hype get to me.
Same. Or at least I try. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I avoid the GAF threads for games I'm interested in for this very reason though. I like to rely on gameplay videos, podcast personalities I tend to agree with, and reviews from certain outlets.

Kusagari

Heh, BG&E is probably the only real example I can give for this thread. After years of hearing the internet slather over it like the second coming, I bought it on XBLA.

Yeah...I have absolutely no idea what people see in the game. I doubt I ever will either. The only thing it has going for it is the characters.

The game itself is a boring slog with horrible gameplay.

Amir0x

Banned
if you know what you enjoy it's next to impossible to get let down. you people gotta LOOK INSIDE YOUR HEARTS.

INSIDE.

That's the thing. I do know what I enjoy, 99.9% of the time. There are always exceptions, but they tend to prove the rule (say, with Journey. Although that was the first time I played a demo I disliked and then ended up liking the final game despite that). But sometimes I give in for one reason or another.

It's like with FFXIII. I had a laundry list of problems with how they went with the game before I played it, I had extensively researched how the game was set up and I knew it was a disaster. Yet when I was arguing the points about this, I kept getting the ol' "you can't talk about it until you play it, jerk."

Fast forward, I got tired of that and I purchased it. Literally every problem I had listed prior to buying it was there, almost word for word. And now there is a big backlash in the gaming community over how atrocious FFXIII was. If you know yourself, you'll be able to call whether a game is shitty or not before even touching it. Or at least shitty for you.

I keep doin' it to myself though. But I think I came to the ultimate center of why that is... because even if the game ends up sucking, I feel like I get the value of my dollar by being able to fully discuss it in the topics. The conversation is always fun to me.

El Sloth

Banned
BG&E was a "time and place" sort of thing. Expectations for visuals and controls were different back when it was released than now (at least it was for me).

squall211

Didn't make me sad, but Legend of Heroes: Trails wasn't as good as I expected. In the end, I enjoyed it, but the game took way, WAY too long to get going, and the final chapter of the game is really the only part that I was hooked into.

The pong line is going too far but I do agree that it's a linear game to me. You don't really have a choice to where you go in the main plot. You follow the quest marker to the next location. That's linear to me in comparison to other game where you at least have choices about how to tackle the story. For instance, DAO has you choosing which alliance to forge first and this in turn impact the order of which you tackle the game's dungeons. Some games also offers different pathways at some point in the game too like the Witcher or some of the SMT games. Xenoblade doesn't have these possibilities in its story.

The fact you can do 650 fetch quests and can explore huge areas doesn't affect the order you can tackle the story in Xenoblade. Linearity is not on my laundry list of issues with the game but I can understand the gripe if you play a lot of WRPG. Saying to someone is a dumb human being is certainly not the best way to validate your view point.

Post like these is essentially why I think we need these kind of thread. Can you imagine 20 people replying with stuff like I quoted in a OT when you don't agree with them? Whoa.

I want to but i wont start on the definition of linear ...Now give me a rpg that doesn't have moments that are mandatory ?
There are none .

The simple fact that you can just ignore the story , and do something else means that you have MULTIPLES EVENTS that aren't mandatory for you to find.. Not to mention all the cutscenes and stories when you reach a certain point of frienship with a companion ...That's just what it is non linear.

Now compare this stuff to ff13 first hours ..can you see the difference ?
The simple difference between :
"Forced to go from point A to point B "

and

" i can go to point B or i can go to gold saucer, raise chocobos( ff7 )" or in xenoblade case "i can raise my companion friendship , gain better gear by exploration quests"

See the difference ?

i spent 17 hours before changing areas after the possibility to do so in xenoblade ..that's how non linear it is...
I never said that the story is not linear , i said that the game isn't.

At least you agree that making the comparaison to pong is dumb ..

rybrad

TitS was the one that got me. While it was an ok game, it wasn't nearly as awesome or complex as it was made out to be.

Kusagari

BG&E was a "time and place" sort of thing. Expectations for visuals and controls were different back when it was released than now (at least it was for me).

I regularly go back and play PS2 era games all the time, so I don't like hearing excuses like this.

I really doubt I would have enjoyed the game even if I played it back in 2003. Some of the design choices in the game just blow me away at how little sense they make.

Wildesy

Ah yeah, that is the one. And no, I'm pretty open-minded with games, I try before I usually say anything about a game unless it's just discussion about upcoming games. Otherwise I have a different variety of games for sure in my top 10 lists.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply you'd be posting in this thread because you were close minded, just that it would probably be my luck to hype up the game in a don't believe the hype thread only to have you not enjoy it.

But yeah, Layton and Ghost Trick are probably my favourite DS games, have a look into them if you get the chance. Maybe watch some youtube clips or something first, don't want you getting disappointed when you find out they have too many puzzles ala guy who said there was too much text for his liking in the visual novel 999.

Brashnir

I regularly go back and play PS2 era games all the time, so I don't like hearing excuses like this.

I really doubt I would have enjoyed the game even if I played it back in 2003. Some of the design choices in the game just blow me away at how little sense they make.

I bought it back then and didn't exactly love it. Most of the game was OK if uninspiring, but the stealth parts were just horrid.

namDa65

Alpha Protocol:

Gaf said:

Choices that actually matter! Great story! Fun combat.

I said:

Typical spy blandness. The gameplay was downright horrible and the level design felt uninspired and treaded on familiar territory. And the game looks ugly. Hate the aesthetic. After 2.5 hours I stopped.

Mirror's Edge

"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
QUIT

El Sloth

Banned

Don't know what to say since the game blew me away for the exact opposite reasons back in '03.

GeoramA

Quite a few:

No More Heroes
Dead Rising 2
Joe Danger
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Prototype

There's probably more, but I remember these the most.

Robot Pants

GAF recommendations have never steared me wrong. Except vanquish which is funny because I played the demo years ago and loved it. But when the final game came around I was bored to tears. Maybe just over that high intensity tps stuff after years of Gears. Whatever it was, that was the only recommendation I was lukewarm to. Bayonetta, Nier (now one of my favorite games of all time), etc. All great.
For those of you didn't like demons souls, give dark souls a try. It walks all over demons.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Years ago drinky and maf hyped up Destrega(?) for psone, I didn't really give it more than a few hours but I found the combat so boring. That's about it really for me, not often that I buy a game without seeing some footage of it or being a fan of the previous games in the series.

Eusis

Xenoblade

GAF Said:

One of the best RPGs I've ever played.
I know I'm going to love Xenoblade just by the first 15 minutes I got to play so far. Time to dig in some more.
Ahhhh this game is so good. MonolithSoft is still amazing.

I Said:

It's probably a more linear gaming experience than Pong. Awesome game if you like exploring empty walls.
It's admittedly linear... by the standards of several WRPGs. But at worst it's the same level of linearity older JRPGs had, where you unlocked more areas in a specific order but may have stuff to see and do in those areas. Only stuff like Radiant Historia that's come out recently could likely be called more non-linear (well, and the end part of NieR), but then Radiant Historia goes for a flavor of non-linear most games don't have at all.

For me it's probably just some Steam or GOG game on sale I barely touched for whatever reason, bigger purchases I either dig up more information on or am set on anyway.

sammy

I was pretty let down with the first Bioshock. GAF had me hyped and the demo was exciting but passed that little demo area I felt like I was just scrounging through trashcans.
Great idea, atmosphere, and story. The game was a great production, but wasn't the roller-coaster ride I was expecting.

Here to defend Demon's/Dark Souls as well as Xenoblade. Love 'em, but for sure the hype here is palpable. Lucky for me I never saw the GAF hype for these games and just discovered them based on friends' recommendations.

Vamphuntr

I want to but i wont start on the definition of linear ...Now give me a rpg that doesn't have moments that are mandatory ?
There are none .

The simple fact that you can just ignore the story , and do something else means that you have MULTIPLES EVENTS that aren't mandatory for you to find.. Not to mention all the cutscenes and stories when you reach a certain point of frienship with a companion ...That's just what it is non linear.

Now compare this stuff to ff13 first hours ..can you see the difference ?
The simple difference between :
"Forced to go from point A to point B "

and

" i can go to point B or i can go to gold saucer, raise chocobos( ff7 )" or in xenoblade case "i can raise my companion friendship , gain better gear by exploration quests"

See the difference ?

i spent 17 hours before changing areas after the possibility to do so in xenoblade ..that's how non linear it is...
I never said that the story is not linear , i said that the game isn't.

At least you agree that making the comparaison to pong is dumb ..

Do I see the difference? Sure but both are still linear games to me. I gave you my example and you gave yours and we disagree on what we call a linear RPG. FFXIII is an entirely different can of worms though as the entire game is almost a straight line on top of having a linear story. You can also spend 17 hours in Gran Pulse exploring and doing hunts in FFXIII but the game is still linear.

Xenoblade is basically like DQ IX to me. The story is linear but you have many fetch quests. No matter what happens you will always do the dungeons in the same order or the story events in the same order and that's linear to me. Some games mentionned here like Alpha Protocol aren't linear as you choose which country you go to first and it influences the outcomes of other missions.

So yeah in my view Xenoblade is a linear RPG and I don't think that people think so are substandard human being that are not able to grasp the logic of the world linear.

jorgeton

FF13-2 didn't rip anything they have 2 differents ways and rules regarding time travel.
What's the point of time travel if you can't go back in the same place to change things.??

What's more, you can avoid battle encounters and the encounters aren't even random !!
Sure you've played it ?
the game give you the opportunity to avoid/use the field battles as you please BUT hey let's complain about it !!!

Uhh.. FFXIII-2 completely stole Radiant Historia's time travel system. It's even called the Historia Crux, ffs.

And you can avoid normal encounters in Radiant Historia so they are not "random encounters" per se, but they took way too long to complete. All that pushing people around the grid and setting up combos just got exhausting after a while.

The game wore me down with the long-winded battle system (which has good ideas, just not snappy enough for my taste) and going through the same stages over and over.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow I suppose. Between the writing, combat which I can only describe as either poorly paced or self-interrupting and repetitive, and the horrible direction/camera, I can't see how anyone had the patience necessary to really get into the game. That's fine, I don't "get" the game, I can live with that, but that's the only game I can definitely say GAF hype steered me wrong.

Whatever the title, these Controversial Gaming Opinion threads are always the ones I enjoy the most on GAF.

Do I see the difference? Sure but both are still linear games to me. I gave you my example and you gave yours and we disagree on what we call a linear RPG. FFXIII is an entirely different can of worms though as the entire game is almost a straight line on top of having a linear story. You can also spend 17 hours in Gran Pulse exploring and doing hunts in FFXIII but the game is still linear.

Xenoblade is basically like DQ IX to me. The story is linear but you have many fetch quests. No matter what happens you will always do the dungeons in the same order or the story events in the same order and that's linear to me. Some games mentionned here like Alpha Protocol aren't linear as you choose which country you go to first and it influences the outcomes of other missions.

So yeah in my view Xenoblade is a linear RPG and I don't think that people think so are substandard human being that are not able to grasp the logic of the world linear.
Xenoblade is no less linear than any Jrpg before it ( except the extremes like ff13)

Meaning that it isn't.. Now you can argue that wrpgs aren't because they have a totally different structure that's missing the point ...

Argue like you want , the game is not linear like pong ..that statement is dumb

A jrpgs doing jrpgs is hardly a problem or a reason for saying stupid things...
Uhh.. FFXIII-2 completely stole Radiant Historia's time travel system. It's even called the Historia Crux, ffs.

And you can avoid normal encounters in Radiant Historia so they are not "random encounters" per se, but they took way too long to complete. All that pushing people around the grid and setting up combos just got exhausting after a while.

The game wore me down with the long-winded battle system (which has good ideas, just not snappy enough for my taste) and going through the same stages over and over.

Do you know what historia means ?
Time travel systems having "time" in their name doesn't make them similar..

The rules of time travel and how it affect the world itself are totally different.. in the 2 games. ( even if there are obvious common points )

Gameboy415

I had an opposite experience with one game:

Final Fantasy XIII

A lot of people on GAF hated it and said it was crap but I absolutely loved it.

*shrug*

PetrCobra

So, do you prefer non-linear gameplay or a strong story? Because you cannot have both, you know. There may be some well written episodes that are loosely put together in a story that is not linear but the story itself will never be as strong as a good linear one.

jorgeton

Do you know what historia means ?
Time travel systems having "time" in their name doesn't make them similar..

The rules of time travel and how it affect the world itself are totally different.. in the 2 games. ( even if there are obvious common points )

smh. Yes, I get that. The way time travel affects the universes in each game is different.

But the way these systems are laid out, with the branches in time that allow the player to jump in and out of time zones at will, was lifted out of Radiant Historia. Some may say homage, I prefer wholesale theft.

Blizzard

Banned
Mirror's Edge

"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
"Here, I'll show you"
FAIL
QUIT
I don't even remember the "Here, I'll show you" line and I've beaten that game like 6-8 times using different playstyles and different difficulties. I missed the train several times, and I'm bad at the timing on one of the bosses, but yeah.

If you ever want to try it again, send me a PM and I'll be happy to talk you through whatever part was giving you trouble. :)

Perhaps I don't fit in this thread though. I liked Scribblenauts, liked Scribblenauts 2, and wasn't even interested in Skyrim (never played or was interested in Oblivion, didn't get into Fallout 3 much) -- ended up getting it since so many people (such as the high concurrent user number on Steam) were playing it, and ended up blown away by how much I liked it. I also liked Minecraft and don't regret getting any of the above.

Top Bottom