• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Rayman Origins.

I am actually playing it still, so I don't think it's a horrible game. But the sense of momentum and running mechanics are off. Some enemies hitboxes are off. The learning curve isn't steady. Certain glitches
Pirate's Alley
have made me shut the game off. Aaaaand I don't like the fact that I have to
collect coins to open up the last level, and get the real ending.

But these are all my opinions, feel free to not care.

tiff

Banned
That's fine, but reading through the thread is more like one-liners with very few people explaining why they disliked the game they did. It reads more like: YEAH, I SAID IT! I HATE THE GAME YOU LIKE! SO WHAT?
GAF sorely lacks for in-depth game discussion in general, whether it's positive or negative.

don't blame the hype either. there's no excuse with youtube existing to not have an idea about how a game will play

Pretty much, you need to research game before you buy them man, why do people here go "Well everyone says they liked this game let me go buy it" without knowing anything about the game itself?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I love RPGs and JRPGs, but TiTS is really just a bore. It moves at a glacial pace. I can beat most modern games in the time that game takes to get across one major plot point.
I just beat the game. There really isn't much plot to speak of. The entire game basically revolves around 2 kids going on an adventure and doing quests together until just before the very end. I can see why you didn't like it though, if you were expecting something more dramatic to happen through the course of the game.

massoluk

Banned
I can see how people think Xenoblade is overrated, but I also think Xenoblade is getting a bit unfair shake here. You can get burned from all the repetitive, uninspiring, time consuming sidequests, true. But it's entirely optional. If you just follow the main quest, the whole game is pretty damn tight. If you don't like it, don't touch it.

For me...
The Last Remnant.

The whole game mechanics don't make sense. It's as if the game designers tried to create the unfriendliest combat system imaginable.

tiff

Banned
Your post about RDR in this thread being a perfect example of this.
Eh, it was a one line off-topic quip attached to my contribution to the topic. If you'd like I could elucidate in a more appropriate topic.

Besides, snarky replies like his don't really deserve legitimate rebuttals.

Shai-Tan

Banned
so what? if sucking at a game causes them to dislike it, that doesn't change the fact that it's their opinion.

I agree - on the other hand some people just quit and judge too fast. I tried out World of Tanks the other day and my first experience was not good at all. I like it more now that I've gotten a bit better at it. I don't know if it's something I would want to play long term but I'm giving it a chance. I started playing it with a few other people and one quit after a few matches blaming pay to win or whatever

Muffdraul

I'm not really sure OTs should all be about gushing and hype either. Saying your opinion while pinpointing what it is exactly that you don't like about a game should be perfectly fine.

So now I'm being admonished for refraining from shitting up OTs with negativity. Only on GAF...

I'm playing it for the story, and enjoyed it the hell out.

Maybe it was because you stopped playing before reaching the good part?

objection?? you even got the game signature word wrong. layton series is about solving puzzles, not court. :/

Professor Layton or w/e it was, was boring as hell, maybe I'm thinking of a different one. They were Gamefly'd when I got my DSi XL.

999 - I'm glad you enjoy it, was cool for the first hour then I just lost interest.

I stand by TWEWY, I gave it 2-3 solid hours.

A character that actually demonstrates development and matures over the course of the story? Unpossible. First five minutes must be representative of the whole!

See above, 2-3 hours in and was digging the battle system but the main character was just too much of a complaining bitch. I'm glad to hear he eventually grows a pair though.

Fraeon

So now I'm being admonished for refraining from shitting up OTs with negativity. Only on GAF...

Hey, that was my opinion, really. I just find it, well, confusing that people avoid stating their honest opinion about a game if it is a negative one, and then saying that all they read about a particular game in its own thread was hype (which may or may not have convinced them to buy the game). Something seems broken there.

Wildesy

Eh, it was a one line off-topic quip attached to my contribution to the topic. If you'd like I could elucidate in a more appropriate topic.

If the appropriate topic you are referring to is this one, and the subject is RDR then yes, please do. I'm genuinely interested to hear why you believe RDR is "terrible". If RDR sets the bar for terrible games, there really is an inordinate about of absolute horrific games being made.

I can understand not liking the game, it certainly isn't without flaws, but to say it's terrible is a tad sensationalist I think. Maybe I'm nitpicking though.

Besides, snarky replies like his don't really deserve legitimate rebuttals.

Would've gone with 'apt response' personally, but either one is fine.

Professor Layton or w/e it was, was boring as hell, maybe I'm thinking of a different one. They were Gamefly'd when I got my DSi XL.

Ace Attorney is the game you're referring to. Professor Layton is a much better game in my opinion, worth trying out if you like puzzle games - saying that now though, I can probably expect a post from you about how over hyped the PL games were :p

Nert

Sonic Colors

GAF said: Best Sonic game since the Genesis days.

It's shit.

"Shit." Really? I'm aware that you had more fun with 06, which is... interesting... but calling Colors "shit" is baffling : /

I think that a lot of people should just do a little bit of digging before buying a game based on hype to make sure that it's something you'll actually enjoy. The only time I've ever bought a game in total ignorance was 999 (I just saw post after post praising its story). It wasn't until after I bought it that I realized it was a visual novel with some puzzles mixed in. Given my tastes, of course I was destined to dislike that, but that's not really the game's fault.

Well, if you're refraining from "shitting up OTs with negativity," that's probably a good thing, because the phrasing implies juvenile remarks or trolling. If you genuinely dislike a game or part of a game, there's nothing wrong with discussing that, especially if you take the time to provide an explanation. It is unfortunate that some OTs become hostile to thoughtful criticism, because they shouldn't.

Selkies!

All the games I was disappointed with recently I got because of press/metacritic hype more than GAF hype. Assassins Creed 2 was prob the best example of that, and I did not read a word about it on GAF. Another would be Heavy Rain, but it seems like most people on here feel the same way I do about it. You guys have steered me right generally, lurking pays off.

999 is the only time you guys ever fucked up, and even that I liked enough to finish. Sonic Colors too. That game was so... average.

Muffdraul

Hey, that was my opinion, really. I just find it... well, confusing, that people avoid stating their honest opinion about a game if it is a negative one, and then saying that all they read about a particular game in its own thread was hype (which may or may not have convinced them to buy the game). Something seems broken there.

In my specific case, the "hype" I was witness to never came from the OTs, because I virtually never went into them in the first place. It came from random posts in random topics.

Actually, come to think of it, I guess I did post in the Xenoblade OT a few weeks ago to say that I'd played the first couple hours of the game and wasn't feeling too enthused. So I hope you're happy. =P

Mobius1

I just take issue with people basing their criticism on inaccurate or distorted claims.

Why would anyone spend the time and energy to fabricate inaccurate/distorted claims if that isn't how they actually feel about the game?

Nobody makes a list of a game's merits and faults first and then decides whether they like it. You feel your opinion first, then you try to figure out what caused that reaction. That list of causes is utterly subjective and totally valid.

The only room for error is if you never actually played the game. EDIT: or money is involved.

hampig

I've enjoyed most of the games I've picked up because of GAF. I think honestly the main problem for most people is that the fans will oversell a game because they think it deserves a chance and want to get others attention, then the people who haven't played it set their expectations accordingly. Normally if GAF is going on about a game I'll take the time to look into it a little and see if it's something I'm interested in.

Not everyone is into all types of games and I don't want to be one of those people who are pushing others away from a great game just because I don't get it.

Sullichin

Came in here to see the Demon's/Dark Souls posts. Haha not surprised. Demon's Souls in particular has some brutal design decisions that can frustrate you right off the bat in addition to the difficulty -- when you're dying in 1-1 over and over and keep running out of health items, and you don't have the cling ring and you're stuck at half health until you beat a boss that seems impossible -- it can be difficult to see what's so great about it. And really, the games would not be the same if they were significantly easier, as the satisfaction from overcoming a challenge is great, and challenging enemies/enviroments make building your character and trying different things seem worthwhile. Not to mention the games are incredibly deep and have some really unique and awesome multiplayer. They have steep learning curves - but they are the best games of the generation ;)

Anyway, bought Dead Island when it came out and thought that game just sucked. Didn't understand why some people in the OT liked it so much. Just seemed like a poorly made game.

And I can't believe people are saying The Wire. That's just an objectively wrong opinion to say that show is bad lol.

Why would anyone spend the time and energy to fabricate inaccurate/distorted claims if that isn't how they actually feel about the game?

Nobody makes a list of a game's merits and faults first and then decides whether they like it. You feel your opinion first, then you try to figure out what caused that reaction. That list of causes is utterly subjective and totally valid.

The only room for error is if you never actually played the game.

Sorry but in the very first post , the poster critize xenoblade.. i'm not going to says that xenoblade is good or bad or even if he's right or not to dislike the game.

BUT

When he says that the game is linear that's just flat out untrue...Anyone who has tried this game or even played it know that xenoblade is the exemple of non-linear exploration or progression.

The only room for error is if you never actually played the game.
He never said anyone was fabricating their claims. Fabrication isn't the only way to arrive at an inaccurate or distorted claim, and when it comes to games the cause is probably more often simple misunderstanding or ignorance (I don't mean for this to sound negative, it's obviously something that affects all of us to some degree).

Orayn

He never said anyone was fabricating their claims. Fabrication isn't the only way to arrive at an inaccurate or distorted claim, and when it comes to games the cause is probably more often simple misunderstanding or ignorance (I don't mean for this to sound negative, it's obviously something that affects all of us to some degree).

Yes, this. Thanks for the elaboration. A prime example would be the complaints about getting killed by dragons in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls - People say that they hate the game because it insta-killed them with no warning, when warning was given and they somehow missed it.

impact

Banned
Nier

It's just a trainwreck. Everything about it besides the music is awful. Thanks to Gamestop's return policy I got my $20 back :)

Mobius1

Anyone who has tried this game or even played it know that xenoblade is the exemple of non-linear exploration or progression.

I agree, to me it doesn't seem like a linear game either. But if he played it and thought it was linear, what are you going to do, say it didn't happen? The alternative is to accuse someone of lying, and I can't fathom what they'd stand to gain from it.

marrec

Banned
I agree, to me it doesn't seem like a linear game either. But if he played it and thought it was linear, what are you going to do, say it didn't happen? The alternative is to accuse someone of lying, and I can't fathom what they'd stand to gain from it.

The internet is built on the backs of people who lie for no good reason.

Santiako

The World Ends With You

I liked the story enough of what I played (about 8 hours), but the artstyle and the combat I felt were awful, so I sold it.

Akainu

Vanquish.

Beat it. Was not enjoying myself through the whole game. It was really too busy for me. I rented it though so, no stain on my wallet.

Nier is probably the only big one. I'm aware of my tastes for the most part, so I usually know which gaf hype to ignore and which to listen to, but that one could have gone either way, so I took the plunge. Ended up finding it to be a below average mishmash of different genres with an alright story and a slightly above average OST.

Edit: Also Katawa Shoujo, but no purchase was involved there.

Edit 2: I guess Trails in the Sky also counts, but I didn't hate it.

The entire issue arises from trying to label every game as either linear or non-linear without allowing any gray areas in between. Obviously a game like Black Ops is almost completely linear while something like Minecraft is almost completely non-linear but does Xenoblade honestly feature the same degree of linearity as either one of those games? I think the answer is obviously no. The game features large environments that encourage exploration outside of the beaten path, tons of side-quests, and the ability to fast travel to previously visited locations, so obviously the game is not entirely linear. However, the game has plenty of barriers keeping you within a pre-determined area and allows you to access major new areas only in a defined, linear fashion, so it's not entirely open either.

To me Xenoblade is more open than I would typically expect from a JRPG but not as open as most of the WRPG's I've played (like an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout). I find the balance to be very satisfying (and similar to Kingdoms of Amalur, actually), but if someone else doesn't than obviously that's fine as it's entirely their opinion.

The underlying point is that it's silly to try and categorize Xenoblade, and any game really, with simple black and white terms like linear and non-linear when in reality they fall somewhere on a vast spectrum.

Beth Cyra

While it's not because of Negative opinions, I have gotten to where I ignore OT's after a game launches regardless.

The constant use of "Fixed" like posts are very annoying to me, or worse yet is saying someones opinion is just wrong. These are far worse to me then most things and they go for postive and negative posts.

As for games, I can't say any of them are bad or anything just not something I found I cared for.

Nier: The story was just to slow and I hated the combat. I won't say the story doesn't get better but nothing really connected with me.

Skyrim: Not Gaf's fault, but I still tried it out of hype despite me not liking Wester RPGS.

Mass Effect: Didn't like the combat, or the majority of the story. Which is really odd because I loved ME2 and kinda liked ME3.

FF XIII-2: Not really Gaf Hype, but multiple posts saying how much better it is then XIII. Honestly I just don't understand this opinion. Serah is possibly the most annoying character I've ever had to deal with. Noel though surprised me because I actually kinda like him, just sad he got saddled with Serah.

Xenoblade - It has some nice stuff, but at least to me it's just not that great and I don't see how it's so much better then Monolith Softs other games when it comes to story.

Honestly though, like I said I wouldn't label any of them as bad game. What I find oddest are posts that are saying you didn't play the game far enough. If your not having fun, your not having fun and the arguement you didn't torture yourself long enough to get to the good part to be far worse then anything else posted here.

buhdeh

Fucking Nier.

Boring game with terrible voice acting, annoying ass children characters and typical j-RPG cheese.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Left for dead 1+2

Maybe I'm too stupid for the game but essentially it was like.... go into the area, a gazillion zombies spawn, kill em, move to the next area. No story, hardly anything that made Coop really necessary and when you want to play online you mostly only find a bunch of retards that don't do what they should.

I don't understand how this game sold so well. Blows my mind.

Journey kind of counts too I guess. I didn't hate it by any means, but it wasn't the transcendental experience that everyone made it out to be. I personally found Flower to be closer to that.

Sorry but this isn't on the side of opinions.
What matters is not your perspective on events but the reality of the events ..

If a game offer a non linear progression but you choose to ignore it and go to the next event , this isn't the game fault ... the fact remains that the game is not linear ..

there is a clear difference between "the game didn't tell me " and "the game told me but i didn't understand the hint" as seen in the dark/demon soul problem here...

Not getting the hint doesn't mean that no hints are given.

And in the same way , choosing to ignore the side stuff and then saying it's linear in the same problem... The game is not linear ... by logical means of understanding regular humans use.

YOu cannot just say " this is more linear than pong"
TROLLFACE.jpg
and expect me to just agree to his opinion when
-The comparaison is unfair/dumb
-The argument/cause can be proven wrong by simple facts.

This is the line between opinions and unfairness/dumbness ...everyone opinions are their own , mine included but when its' not opinion but facts can prove you wrong , it becomes fair game and you HAVE to be able to backup your claims to be taken seriously.

Madworld

I dunno, but just ... Really? This is fun for some people? Beautifully realised, yes, but shockingly repetitive within the first 30 minutes of playing. I did keep playing beyond that mark, but never found anything else to do beyond thwocking dudes' heads into the same spiked walls. And it controlled like ass.

IMO

HildyB

Catherine - But I don't blame GAF. I loved everything but the core puzzle game play itself. Adventure dating sim would have been fun enough for me.

BooJoh

Sin & Punishment - I fell for the hype, and just didn't enjoy the game that much, mostly because of the controls.

Xenoblade - To be fair, I'm going to give it a little more chance still, but so far it's a really bland experience for me and I hate the battle system.

And not so much GAF hyped as just generally hyped on the internet, but I hated Ico (yet loved SotC.) Felt like an exercise in frustration trying to babysit that useless girl when I just wanted to explore.

Given the amount of games I own, a few "critically acclaimed" games I don't enjoy isn't a bad track record. I don't deny that the games are good either, they just didn't turn out to be my cup of tea.

tiff

Banned
If the appropriate topic you are referring to is this one, and the subject is RDR then yes, please do. I'm genuinely interested to hear why you believe RDR is "terrible". If RDR sets the bar for terrible games, there really is an inordinate about of absolute horrific games being made.

I can understand not liking the game, it certainly isn't without flaws, but to say it's terrible is a tad sensationalist I think. Maybe I'm nitpicking though.
I don't really think RDR does a good job of engaging the player. The controls in general are fairly sloppy, especially when it comes to shooting. I haven't played the game in a while so I can't get specific, but something about the aiming feels terribly off (I would guess the game doesn't use some of the auto-aiming tricks a lot of modern console shooters have adopted but it still expects you to hit small targets with a thumbstick, but don't quote me on this). There's a fair amount of content in the game but a lot of it isn't the least bit interesting (hunting and collecting flowers come to mind), and it's spread thinly throughout a humongous overworld that looks nice but quickly becomes a bore to actually traverse. Getting anywhere is just a matter of pointing your horse in the right direction and waiting. Missions often come down to shooting dudes which is pretty boring, and then you have stuff like bounty missions being ruined with the rubber-banding AI always chasing you.

The story tries to follow the same "serious but not TOO serious" line GTAIV did, but it's still not written tightly or competently enough to have real emotional power and unlike before you can't just ignore it and laugh at the characters because a lot of them are pretty boring. Do I really care about John Marsten facing off against his former gang? Not really. Are the side characters particularly interesting? Not really.

It's a neat concept and I can see why people are drawn to it, but I feel the game is mechanically poor and fails to be engaging. The end result is a game that's just boring, certainly moreso than most games I've played. Maybe it's more "bad" than "terrible," but I'd have to run down all the games I've played again and think about where RDR really lies to find out and I just don't care enough to at the moment. For now I feel pretty comfortable with my assertion.

Sorry if that comes off as a vague or disjointed criticism, as I said before I haven't played the game in quite some time now so I'd want to revisit it again before I level more specific complaints against it.

Muffdraul

It is unfortunate that some OTs become hostile to thoughtful criticism, because they shouldn't.

I've been online for almost 20 years, and for the majority of those years I've been witness to CONSTANT heated debate between people who seem to honestly think they are giving "thoughtful criticism" (or at least claim to think so) and those who see it as simply trolling. I had enough of that crap a long time ago, so I prefer to simply avoid it as much as possible. I like to think the world can get by without me going out of my way to open my yap every time I dislike something. But when asked, such as by a thread like this, I'm happy to offer some thoughts.

Wildesy

Better taste in here than in the "secret best games of the generation" thread, probably.

I'm 50/50 from that thread. Played Nier on the back of multiple recommendations and didn't enjoy it at all, but gave King's Bounty: Armoured Princess (a game I had never heard of) a crack and absolutely loved it. King's Bounty is the epitome of a quality secret game in my opinion, but that could just be because I was crying out for a challenging strategic game and KB's fit the mould perfectly.

I don't really think RDR does a good job of engaging the player. The controls in general are fairly sloppy, especially when it comes to shooting. I haven't played the game in a while so I can't get specific, but something about the aiming feels terribly off (I would guess the game doesn't use some of the auto-aiming tricks a lot of modern console shooters have adopted but it still expects you to hit small targets with a thumbstick, but don't quote me on this). There's a fair amount of content in the game but a lot of it isn't the least bit interesting (hunting and collecting flowers come to mind), and it's spread thinly throughout a humongous overworld that looks nice but quickly becomes a bore to actually traverse. Getting anywhere is just a matter of pointing your horse in the right direction and waiting. Missions often come down to shooting dudes which is pretty boring, and then you have stuff like bounty missions being ruined with the rubber-banding AI always chasing you.

The story tries to follow the same "serious but not TOO serious" line GTAIV did, but it's still not written tightly or competently enough to have real emotional power and unlike before you can't just ignore it and laugh at the characters because a lot of them are pretty boring. Do I really care about John Marsten facing off against his former gang? Not really. Are the side characters particularly interesting? Not really.

It's a neat concept and I can see why people are drawn to it, but I feel the game is mechanically poor and fails to be engaging. The end result is a game that's just boring, certainly moreso than most games I've played. Maybe it's more "bad" than "terrible," but I'd have to run down all the games I've played again and think about where RDR really lies to find out and I just don't care enough to at the moment. For now I feel pretty comfortable with my assertion.

Sorry if that comes off as a vague or disjointed criticism, as I said before I haven't played the game in quite some time now so I'd want to revisit it again before I level more specific complaints against it.

No, that certainly doesn't come off as vague or disjointed, it came off as perfectly acceptable criticism. Thanks for taking the time to reply as I was genuinely interested to hear what made you think it was terrible as I'd say it is probably my favourite console game for this gen.

Top Bottom