• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Ping Pong the Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
jesus this show is so good

tumblr_nudzqotYM21slig2vo1_540.gif

Saw it for the first time about two years ago I'd say. immediately got drawn in by the artstyle and music (oh man, the music...)

Stayed for the characters.
this show is not about ping pong. it's about the kind of person who gets drawn to competition. i've been playing virtua fighter for almost five years now. been playing fighting games for over 3 years more than that. i cannot tell you how many peco's I've met. i cannot tell you how many tsukimoto's i've met.

just finished my second viewing of this short series. i just want to start it from the top again, i love it so much.

1upsuper

Ping Pong is one of my favorite shows ever. Everything about it is so good. I was definitely drawn in by the art style. The OST is incredible. My favorite track is
Peco.
So strange but so hype.

Clov

One of the best anime of all time. Yuasa is seriously a treasure. I really need to rewatch it sometime.

If you're the kind of person who likes collecting anime on Blu-Ray and DVD, Funimation is re-releasing this title as part of their SAVE line in a few months; that means it's going to be pretty cheap. It's a pretty good release from them too, in terms of picture quality.

oneida

One of the best anime of all time. Yuasa is seriously a treasure. I really need to rewatch it sometime.

If you're the kind of person who likes collecting anime on Blu-Ray and DVD, Funimation is re-releasing this title as part of their SAVE line in a few months; that means it's going to be pretty cheap. It's a pretty good release from them too, in terms of picture quality.
Yeah I bought the Blu-ray a few years back! lovely picture but I wish the ads that play when you boot the disc could be skipped...

EdmondD

Rewatched it not too long ago. Still amazing. Who knew some show about ping pong could be so emotional? Damn. Yuuasa is a legit genius.

Helmholtz

I need to watch this again. My first watch left me thinking it was basically a masterpiece. Whenever I recommend this to people who watch anime they always think I'm joking for whatever reason, I guess they can't get past the title/theme of ping pong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's the best animated show ever, hands down. I've probably watched over 250 anime/cartoon shows to completion at this point, and not a single one of those is as perfect as this.

I literally picked up table tennis with my brother because of it.

Watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. Really loved it. Weird thing though is I honestly found Peco to be the weakest of the five central characters.

This is one of the best anime I've ever seen. I went in with high expectations because of how well received it was, and it still surpassed them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
China is best character.

That one silent, 10-seconds long scene in which he thinks of his mother back in China is fucking beautiful. I could go on and on about it, but it's so perfect it literally doesn't need words.

Zaru

It was the big surprise of its season. With that topic (sports, and ping pong at that) and art (sketchy, not caring about usual anime aesthetics), I had no reason to expect it to be good.
And then it straight up became one of my favorite shows that year. Still listen to the OST too.

Totakeke

I can watch this every couple few months and still smile like a loon. The first episode just sets it up so perfectly with two guys on a school rooftop being able to tell how good the two ping pong players playing inside the gym just by listening to the sounds. It feels ridiculous but also says how confident the author was on his own story.

I actually just started watching this for the first time recently. 3 episodes in and I'm quite enjoying it so far. The art style initially turned me off from watching it which is why it took me so long to get to it, but now that have I regret not doing so sooner.

Pygrus

Which specifically?

The whole incestuous undertones of Kazama and his cousin's relationship. Plus the underling of Kazama basically trying to steal the attention of his cousin away from Kazama. It all just amounted in some really odd scenes that don't mesh well with the rest of the plot.

The positives of the show greatly outweigh this little gripe of mine.

oneida

Soooo I just watched the 2002 live action adaptation last night. It was fun and played it really close to the source material (I assume, since so much played out verbatim as it does in the anime).

And of course I got a kick out of this scene.

I wish there was a translation of the manga out there in the wild. I'd love to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom