• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with long term break ups?

Cyberpunkd

Theres a saga of therapy there and mental health I won't even get into.
I’m sorry to have to tell you that and sound unkind - do not get into a relationship with people like that. You think you are saving them, it almost never works. Looks to me like this was some sort of trigger for traumatic episode and now 3 years are over because of one thing you did. Be happy it happened now and not with the kids.

Do not, I repeat - DO NOT date people with past mental health issues.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to have to tell you that and sound unkind - do not get into a relationship with people like that. You think you are saving them, it almost never works. Looks to me like this was some sort of trigger for traumatic episode and now 3 years are over because of one thing you did. Be happy it happened now and not with the kids.

Do not, I repeat - DO NOT date people with past mental health issues.
I guess I learned my lesson the very very very hard way then

I feel bad it really is tough she was raised extremely religious and extremely conservative and came out atheist and liberal with this atheist moderate boyfriend and this led to a slew of mental issues being so hyper family oriented. I guess she just couldn't reconcile. And her being so codependent on family i'm the one to get thrown under the bus to make the family happy.

Last edited:
If you're not willing to pretend (you shouldnt) just don't get involved with religious families is my advice.
I figured as long as me and her were good and in agreement we were solid but I underestimated the impact family could have for a woman who venerated family and was all about family

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You're in the woods right now. You need to be at the beach. You got where you are step by step, you'll get out of there step by step. That's how emotions like this work. The key is good self awareness and self determination to take those steps in the same direction each day. You're not going back, going in circles, you know that didn't work out and she's not the one so your purpose is elsewhere now. Each day you reaffirm that. Each time you think of her you intentionally remember that.

Second trick is to build new associated memories. You shared everything with her so now everything will remind you of her and times with her. Some of that may hang on for a long time, the more rare or unique things. However, for the majority of things you can share them with new people. It won't write over or delete the memories you have of the times with her, but it will give your brain more options when it comes to what/who you associate the common things of life with. This process will help you take those steps out of the woods.

Cyberpunkd

I guess I learned my lesson the very very very hard way then

I feel bad it really is tough she was raised extremely religious and extremely conservative and came out atheist and liberal with this atheist moderate boyfriend and this led to a slew of mental issues being so hyper family oriented. I guess she just couldn't reconcile. And her being so codependent on family i'm the one to get thrown under the bus to make the family happy.
You will get through it, I was in a past relationship for 8-9 years, it didn't go anywhere. Then I met my wife and have wonderful kids.

Hit the gym or go on a short trip somewhere, nature and physical activity works wonders for your mental state.

Longest relation ship I had was 5 years, than I had multiple 1 month, 1 year, 3 years etc..

No big deal, I start new one , break up , loop. Pretty fun. Never went back after dumped, even if they come crying and bla bla bla…

Now I’m married for 10 years (we dated for 3 years) . Previous year I start dating my wife I had like 5 gf in 6 months 😂.

Never thought about this is the one, everyone is the one ☝️ .

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Seems like she might have some issues. Consider yourself lucky, as you may have dodged a bullet. Nothing worse than getting entangled deep with someone and realizing when it's too late that you made a mistake. Move on and find someone with positive vibes.

bitbydeath

Take the time to work on yourself, and enjoy your new found freedom. You gotta look at it from a different angle, it’s her loss.

Andyliini

Yeah, this situation really sucks. I have been there myself, and it was rough. Then again, she did all kinds of crazy shit behind my back, trying to discredit me and everything I had ever done, so I could use that knowledge for my self healing. I was angry at her, and she'd done.

But as others have said, time heals wounds, so take time for yourself, talk to your friends, and do anything that can take your mind out of the current situation. You'll get better bit by bit.

GymWolf

Sorry to hear that dude, but maybe it's for the best, i know my fair share of stories of couples ruined by their families, you don't want a realation where her parents hate you, especially if she is very close to them.

Maybe it was for the best, if she is ready to leave you for such a reason, maybe she wasn't the right one.

I'm an atheist in a very religious city so i know the feeling of people hating on me because of that.

I just lie to women when they ask, but i'm not a dude interested in long term relations so it's all fair game.

Sorry to hear that dude, but maybe it's for the best, i know my fair share of stories of couples ruined by their families, you don't want a realation where her parents hate you, especially if she is very close to them.

Maybe it was for the best, if she is ready to leave you for such a reason, maybe she wasn't the right one.

I'm an atheist in a very religious city so i know the feeling of people hating on me because of that.

I just lie to women when they ask, but i'm not a dude interested in long term relations so it's all fair game.
For such a reason and so damn quickly too man. With zero, absolutely zero willingness to hear any compromise. It’s staggering. Our issues I feel were so fixable too man. This was shit a 30 minute zoom session with a couples counselor would’ve fixed. Hell we could’ve traded emails with one and likely fixed it.

I just can’t believe all we’ve been through and made it through and it just goes like someone blew out a candle

Longest relation ship I had was 5 years, than I had multiple 1 month, 1 year, 3 years etc..

No big deal, I start new one , break up , loop. Pretty fun. Never went back after dumped, even if they come crying and bla bla bla…

Now I’m married for 10 years (we dated for 3 years) . Previous year I start dating my wife I had like 5 gf in 6 months 😂.

Never thought about this is the one, everyone is the one ☝️ .
Those 3 and 5 year ones ending must’ve hurt like a knife in the gut. It’s just so much shared experience unless one is a sociopath I’d have to imagine it’s tough

In past times of my life I did ecumenical ministry for 10 years. Baptists are absolutely the most difficult. It's not even close.
Lucky me I meet the love of my life and it just so happens her family are crazy Baptist and it just so happens she’s the most family oriented women I’ve ever been with

You will get through it, I was in a past relationship for 8-9 years, it didn't go anywhere. Then I met my wife and have wonderful kids.

Hit the gym or go on a short trip somewhere, nature and physical activity works wonders for your mental state.
8-9 years Jesus Christ. I feel like I wouldn’t be able to drive by a sidewalk without thinking “man that’s where we walked together laughing and joking that one time”

Basically any restaurant, vacation spot, date spot, movie, show, game, book or song would be quarantined cause no doubt they’ve all been experienced together in that decade :/

Until she gets help her family will call the shots.
Funny enough her last serious bf ended due to family issues as well

She really does need a professional. I wish her well. I wish she had let me embark on that mental health self improvement journey with her

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
If she really loves you, she would accept you just the way you are....

So there are millions of people who would like to meet you.

I think that working, and improving your self-esteem, are the keys so that you can forget this bitter situation.... Be successful in your goals, that is what matters.... If she doesn't want to talk to you, let her... She wasn't for you.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lucky me I meet the love of my life and it just so happens her family are crazy Baptist and it just so happens she’s the most family oriented women I’ve ever been with
A lot of religious people boomerang. They are indoctrinated at birth, rebellious and "atheist" as a young adult, then back to religious when they settle down and have a family. Seen it many times. She will obviously have kids and it will be supremely important to her entire family what they believe and how they're raised.

You dodged a bullet. She was never changing shit. Sounds like it's not you at all, it's just a straight religious test.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yea breakups are really tough. There's really nothing you can do except wait it out, try to deal with your feelings, avoid contacting her, and try to stay healthy and productive and not fall victim to bad habits.
Exactly..

Exactamente.

Stay busy, try not to contact her anymore....

That is difficult as a man, but necessary.... Because then it is done in emotional blackmail, that they are the victims and the boyfriend is the one who is wrong.

Trunx81

I love it how the GAF-advice "Hit the gym" still exists after all these years. Also best advice ever, as it not only improves your physical health, but also your mental, as studies show.

Anyway, OP, there are many indicators in your posts that show what went wrong. You started dating when she was 19, 1 year out of college. You were her first in everything, so she shied away from that for the other 19 years. She´s got issues, not only with her family but also with herself. You had a long distance relationship and now she faces the "harsh truth of living together", even had to share responsibility for a puppy.

What could you have done better?
That´s not the right questions to ask, as you seem to come off very supportive and invested into your relationship. But you´re also the older, "wiser" person in it, maybe even sharing some things or two with her dad, that she found out after moving in with you. Who knows?

But you are also still pretty young and the "woman of your life" maybe still out there. AND you´ve got a HUGE wingman in your puppy, let me tell you that :messenger_beaming:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I lost a love of 5 years whom I was ready to marry when she simply got scared of real life. She didn’t date anyone for 9 years after that. It sucks when mental issues are suddenly revealed. Can’t be with my current love because of insanity with her family. I’d say nothing sucks more than being despised for the fact of your love. Also nothing faster at destroying any sense that they know God and his ways.

BossLackey

Gold Member

I try to keep my atheism to myself for the most part. I'll let someone know if prompted, but I don't advertise it.

Unfortunately, my parents are very religious and I know coming out as atheist would shatter our relationship.

It's so silly.

GymWolf

I try to keep my atheism to myself for the most part. I'll let someone know if prompted, but I don't advertise it.

Unfortunately, my parents are very religious and I know coming out as atheist would shatter our relationship.

It's so silly.
Thank god ( :lollipop_grinning_sweat: ) my family is not super religious, my city kinda is.

We have a lot of old people in here.

Neolombax

As hard as it is to swallow, the fact that she just as easily ended everything kinda meant you didnt mean that much to her. I wish you all the best, take it easy and go meet people.

Thats brutal dude. The feeling of betrayal must weigh heavy with how suddenly and completely she was willing to sever that connection you had built together. It doesn’t sound like your fault, it must have either been secretly building and she was looking for an excuse, or to me it sounds more likely that like her family is horribly controlling to the point of outright abuse and that’s what’s causing her ‘family issues’ You showing up unexpectedly threatened to expose her own secret shame of not believing, and she KNOWS what would happen if they knew, she would be disowned. I could be off base but that’s how it reads to me. Whatever the reason, bottom line is she needs to handle her shit and you deserve better my friend, I hope you meet a smoking hot tattooed heathen chica who loves giving you bj’s and sandwiches.

Oberstein

It's always tough, and as we often say, time heals the wound... but in fact, not totally.

I've noticed, but maybe I'm wrong, that women are much less sentimental about their former boyfriends. Once it's over, they don't give a damn. Men, on the other hand, think about it a lot. Personally, I went through a painful separation in 2014 and I think back to those happy moments in the park with her. Tried to contact her again... unsuccessfully. She's rebuilt her life and doesn't give a shit about me anymore.
Recently, a chick I had a crush on chose another guy, bad luck for me, but I have a feeling I'm going to miss her for a good many years to come. For her, again, it's like I don't even exist anymore....

So yes, with time it will get better, but you always end up thinking about it again sooner or later. That doesn't mean we won't be happy with someone else, but there you go.

Last edited:
It's always tough, and as we often say, time heals the wound... but in fact, not totally.

I've noticed, but maybe I'm wrong, that women are much less sentimental about their former boyfriends. Once it's over, they don't give a damn. Men, on the other hand, think about it a lot. Personally, I went through a painful separation in 2014 and I think back to those happy moments in the park with her. Tried to contact her again... unsuccessfully. She's rebuilt her life and doesn't give a shit about me anymore.
Recently, a chick I had a crush on chose another guy, bad luck for me, but I have a feeling I'm going to miss her for a good many years to come. For her, again, it's like I don't even exist anymore....

So yes, with time it will get better, but you always end up thinking about it again sooner or later. That doesn't mean we won't be happy with someone else, but there you go.
Yeah I’m inclined to agree. From my general observations they’re usually the ones to break off a long term (and short term) relationship and generally will be distraught the next day or two but quickly bounce back whereas men tend to morph into Bruce Wayne in The Batman 2022 for weeks or months or years even. I mean hell there’s a whole meme culture on social media about men and their emotions after a break up. No such thing really exist for women to my knowledge. I’m sure there’s a meme here or there but it’s staggering all the jokes and bits are out there for guys.

This isn’t to say women are bad or cruel or evil. But it is fascinating and maybe worth having a social scientist or psychologist explore or conduct a study on

Last edited:
Thats brutal dude. The feeling of betrayal must weigh heavy with how suddenly and completely she was willing to sever that connection you had built together. It doesn’t sound like your fault, it must have either been secretly building and she was looking for an excuse, or to me it sounds more likely that like her family is horribly controlling to the point of outright abuse and that’s what’s causing her ‘family issues’ You showing up unexpectedly threatened to expose her own secret shame of not believing, and she KNOWS what would happen if they knew, she would be disowned. I could be off base but that’s how it reads to me. Whatever the reason, bottom line is she needs to handle her shit and you deserve better my friend, I hope you meet a smoking hot tattooed heathen chica who loves giving you bj’s and sandwiches.
It’s funny you use that word because that was the same word she used when she did it. “I know I’m betraying you. I know this is a betrayal”. It seems like she felt like shit about it and I couldn’t get why she’d still go through with it despite admitting it “doesn’t make sense” to me as well.

But also like you observed I think you hit the nail on the head with the family thing. If they found out about her she’s toast and perhaps that’s a big cause of her psychological issues there and me mixing with them as someone would if you marry them and you’re with them your whole life is too risky. She even said she will “never” get married because it wouldn’t be a religious wedding (she’s atheist of course) and then the jig is up for her. Really sad stuff. I hope maybe after therapy there’s a future for her outside of just silly movie nights with cousins and game shows with grandpa and grandma.

I suspect there may come a day she tries to get back together after getting older and maturing to say my age or close. I think it’s possible there is a reflection and a “man I really rushed that”. but admittedly this may be A grade cope and blind hope

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sucks to hear it brother. But shes not the one for you if shes dumping over something that innocous. You dodged a bullet and she was kind to drop you when she did. Could be worse had she dont that after a couple of kids and 20 years.

Lots of good advise here. Go date other women. You will be reminded of how good you had but also, a very good chance, you fall for someone new. that guy who said date 10 girls gets it. very good chance you find someone way better and you wont even remember her after a few weeks.

Lastly, buy arkham knight on switch.

"A lot of it spawns from a disapproval of me due to me being atheist and them being heavily".

"Hardcore Old Testament Christians :/. Baptists. That’s the family"

Ooy3Jz9.gif

You poor bastard that sound horrendous!

Last edited:

deathsaber

Sorry to hear about this. But yeah, if you are an adamant atheist and she comes from a deeply religious family with whom she is fully engaged with, even if she claims to be closet atheist with you, the fact she clearly isn't singing the same tune to her family is telling.. Plus, they were always going to be in one of her ears dragging your name through the mud, if your atheism is well known to them. You just were not going to win that battle, unless she were willing to completely cut ties with them, which probably wasn't going to happen. Too much incompatibility there, and family will almost always win out. And yes, Baptists are bad. They think everyone is going to hell- including all other non-Baptist Christian denominations. They hate Catholics and pretty much all other groups, can't even fathom what they think of an atheist.

Sorry about time lost, that's rough, but hopefully you come out of this wiser than before, and super cliche but time makes all things fade. You'll get there, and move on in time.

Sorry to hear about this. But yeah, if you are an adamant atheist and she comes from a deeply religious family with whom she is fully engaged with, even if she claims to be closet atheist with you, the fact she clearly isn't singing the same tune to her family is telling.. Plus, they were always going to be in one of her ears dragging your name through the mud, if your atheism is well known to them. You just were not going to win that battle, unless she were willing to completely cut ties with them, which probably wasn't going to happen. Too much incompatibility there, and family will almost always win out. And yes, Baptists are bad. They think everyone is going to hell- including all other non-Baptist Christian denominations. They hate Catholics and pretty much all other groups, can't even fathom what they think of an atheist.

Sorry about time lost, that's rough, but hopefully you come out of this wiser than before, and super cliche but time makes all things fade. You'll get there, and move on in time.
Yeah add all that with her child like co dependency on family. I guess I had no chance.

I had hoped this familial disagreement would come up later like years down the line as she’s older and more mature and we’d talk through it. I think I accelerated an issue years in advance when she is simply just a 22 year old who’s fresh out of college and scared and anxious in the world and it was just a quick death knell

Oberstein

Yeah I’m inclined to agree. From my general observations they’re usually the ones to break off a long term (and short term) relationship and generally will be distraught the next day or two but quickly bounce back whereas men tend to morph into Bruce Wayne in The Batman 2022 for weeks or months or years even. I mean hell there’s a whole meme culture on social media about men and their emotions after a break up. No such thing really exist for women to my knowledge. I’m sure there’s a meme here or there but it’s staggering all the jokes and bits are out there for guys.

This isn’t to say women are bad or cruel or evil. But it is fascinating and maybe worth having a social scientist or psychologist explore or conduct a study on

It's reassuring to see that break-up problems are universally recognized.

It may be a bit silly, but this clip from ST Voyager says it all. Apparently men never really forget a lost love.

"Eventually, you start thinking about her less and less. Until finally, without realising it, she's not on your mind anymore [...] But every now and then, even years later,something reminds you of her. A certain smell, a few notes of a song, and suddenly you feel just as bad as the day she told you she neverwanted to see you again. If you want to know the honest truth, Doc, you never completely get over a woman you really cared about."

She’s reeeeeeallyyy dragging her feet on getting all of her stuff out.

Sign of re considering or what?
Could be, could also be a sign of wanting to move on and not deal with those loose ends. The problem with her family is not going away though, it sounds like it’s them or you and she hasn’t been allowed to make her own decisions without the threat of abandonment.

Last edited:

Aesius

It's often because women silently mourn their relationships for months or even years before they pull the plug. So when they decide to break up, they have a massive head start on men.

And of course, women also have an overflowing buffet of dating options when they're single. Imagine if you slowly fell out of love with your girlfriend over the course of a year, and when you finally broke up with her, you had 4 women in your day-to-day life who wanted to date you and 100 matches on your dating profile. It would be pretty easy to move on for you, too.

It's often because women silently mourn their relationships for months or even years before they pull the plug. So when they decide to break up, they have a massive head start on men.

And of course, women also have an overflowing buffet of dating options when they're single. Imagine if you slowly fell out of love with your girlfriend over the course of a year, and when you finally broke up with her, you had 4 women in your day-to-day life who wanted to date you and 100 matches on your dating profile. It would be pretty easy to move on for you, too.
This might make me crazier than the joker himself but I’ve been thinking about it a lot and I think I’m going to try one more time to get her back. I’m gonna emphasize how serious I am about moving with her and talk about the self reflection I’ve done. I think it’s worth a shot

Artoris

Gold Member
I know this aint reddit or my personal diary but Im afraid I just joined the dumped squad boys. After 3 years of memories and travel and change and growth. My personal story will be below but if you don't need it then maybe you've simply been broken up with or had to dump someone after years and years and can share the experience. How do you carry on? How do you cope? Im just devastated and at loss big time. You'll have to forgive me sometimes its simply therapeutic for me to share both with people I know and online. Im just laying here in bed I can't eat and I can barley motivate myself to walk my dog.

What went down:

I've been involved with this woman for almost 3 years and officially dating for over 2.5 years. She is or was the love of my life and there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. We've seen countless movies together, gone to countless new restaurants, we've changed each other for the better, we've had adventures together, we've traveled the country together. We have a dog together. And since May we've been moved in together after about 1.5-2 years of long distance. (4 hours apart). Its been great. The best relationship by far I've ever been in in my entire life.

Well long story short I had this stupid idea to surprise her for the holidays and spend the weekend with her family, so I drive 5 hours up state to do so. Problem is she is extremely family oriented and family and I are a very sensitive subject for her. Very sensitive. Theres a saga of therapy there and mental health I won't even get into. A lot of it spawns from a disapproval of me due to me being atheist and them being heavily religious. As well as intense subconscious approval and validation needing on her end from her family. She's as atheist as me but has been a closet atheist for years now to appease family and not rock the boat. Well I go in and I thought it went well but she absolutely freaked out and panicked basically and later we talked alone and she was crying and anxious and we had a big disagreement over it that led to me driving back home the very next day.

When she returned we had our worst fight yet that im not proud of and she went to stay at her sisters and basically kind of broke things off but indicated we would talk tomorrow and I had hope that this could be salvaged. I couldn't fathom this would end our 3 year involvement almost. Well she comes back and it was immediately clear she had made up her mind to dump me and this was merely a courtesy to come, tell me, let me down easy, get some clothes, and go back to her sisters. All my compromises and postulations were useless and stonewalled immediately. I was heartbroken. I couldn't believe it. I still can't. She explained that she simply can't mix me and family due to mental issues on her part and she will get help for this but not with a boyfriend. And she's moving back home and had her mind set in that. So different cities was a big factor. I even offered to go up with her back to her college town but was again turned down.

I just can't come to grips with this whole thing. Friday night we were great and together and Sunday at 8pm we were basically over. It all happened so fast I can’t even properly process it and I'm already going through the post breakup phase where they're quickly becoming a stranger. Where they don't text or ghost texts. Where communication is just to coordinate the logistics of the breakup. I've been here before its not my first rodeo but this hurts on such a deep level I don't know how im going to carry on.
you could try explaining to her that families alway medal in children's affairs and giving into it leads to miserable existence
get her to look outside the box with you

lem0n

If there was an answer for this, break ups would be much easier. Unfortunately everyone's situation is different so the solution to coping with the breakup will be different every time. Just for context, this is my breakup story-

About 9 years ago I was dumped by my GF of 8 years. The solution for me at the time was getting a physically demanding job in a different city and going to live with my best friend. Said friend got me a job with him stocking beer in grocery stores and Walmarts etc. We were up at 330am, off at noon, and we hung out playing CoD together for months. His support and friendship got me through the hardest times when I was really struggling. Eventually I started dating again. Then met my now fiance. Things have been on the up for years. I still (rarely) think about my ex, but not in a longing type of way- so I'm not sure the wound ever really completely heals. But doing things you like, with people you like, and keeping your mind busy are the best tips I can give to anyone that are going though some similar shit.

Top Bottom