• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quebec judge OK's class-action suit over COVID-19 outbreaks in long-term care homes

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin

My mom died of Covid the 12th of May 2020 in her old folks home and I immediately knew she was infected by a caregiver washing her face or feeding her.

While I was angry I was also conflicted as this Pandemic took all of us by surprise. The government included.

I have nothing but love & respect for everyone who did their best to care for my mom yet she died alone without me by her side.
Even her doctor or nurses weren't there.
She died by herself like abandoned garbage between two rounds.

I'm glad someone had the balls to do something about this but I don't care about money.

It took me a long time to come to terms with my hate towards those circumstances and the guilt I felt not being able to be with her in her final moments.

But then I see this on the news and everything comes back like a kick in the nuts.

Back to playing videogames for the rest of the night 😄

Mistake

If there is no accountability, then nothing will ever change. The pain you feel will also be felt by others once a similar situation happens again.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Loss is much harder when it's sudden, but I hope time makes it better regardless

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »

My mom died of Covid the 12th of May 2020 in her old folks home and I immediately knew she was infected by a caregiver washing her face or feeding her.

While I was angry I was also conflicted as this Pandemic took all of us by surprise. The government included.

I have nothing but love & respect for everyone who did their best to care for my mom yet she died alone without me by her side.
Even her doctor or nurses weren't there.
She died by herself like abandoned garbage between two rounds.

I'm glad someone had the balls to do something about this but I don't care about money.

It took me a long time to come to terms with my hate towards those circumstances and the guilt I felt not being able to be with her in her final moments.

But then I see this on the news and everything comes back like a kick in the nuts.

Back to playing videogames for the rest of the night 😄
….je suis vraiment désoler pour toi. J’ai perdu ma mère du cancer en 2017 j’imagine même pas comment ça aurais été si ça c était passer en temps de COVID. Mes sympathies.

Sorry for the french message but I want to make sure that what I wrote was exactly what I was thinking.

John Marston

I forgot to mention everyone who went through this horrible helpless time.

I could have never imagined my mom dying in those conditions it's just impossible.

I will just go offline for now as I have fantasies of kidnapping government officials and pulling their nails.

Like I mentioned all those horrible & nefarious feelings just flooded back in my mind & I don't like it.

After a good night's sleep I'll be better.

John Marston

….je suis vraiment désoler pour toi. J’ai perdu ma mère du cancer en 2017 j’imagine même pas comment ça aurais été si ça c était passer en temps de COVID. Mes sympathies.

Sorry for the french message but I want to make sure that what I wrote was exactly what I was thinking.
Merci pour tes pensées c'est gentil 😊

Mes sympathies pour ta maman j'imagine ça pas été facile. Le Cancer est un motherfucker narcissistique qui veut juste tout gruger notre joie et l'espoir pour se nourrir de nos faiblesses.

Toi en vivant de ton plein gré avec ta famille vous pouvez chier sur le cancer en gardant la mémoire de ta mom vivante.

Chaque fois que tu souris tu crisse un uppercut au Cancer.
Quand tu hug ton kid tu fais un piledriver au Cancer.
Quand tu tuck in tes kids pour dodos le Cancer crie en background car vous être heureux.

Mon tour de faire dodo 😁

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Covid 19 was a disaster on many levels and the fact that they made the elderly die alone and without help is a disgrace.

I would gladly risk my life to comfort my mother before she died. She died of Alzheimer’s prior to the pandemic. But I feel for you friend.

I worked in a care home during COVID in the UK here and it was a disgrace, we were not allowed to refuse COVID positive patients despite not having any COVID positive patients. We ended up losing 4 patients to it out of 20 and multiple staff on ventilators and one lost her husband. My thoughts are with you Zelphyr.

John Marston

My mom was a very organized person and I found 5 photocopies of this paper when I was going through her will and various papers.
I taped it to one of my kitchen cupboards & added a picture from when she was a teacher in the mid 80's.

0ESdihO.png

Translated to the best of my ability it goes like this:

Death is nothing, I'm just in the next room
I am me, you are you
What we were for each other will always be
Give me the name you've always given me
Talk to me like you always did
Do not use a solemn or sad tone
Continue to laugh at what made us laugh
Pray, smile, think of me
Let my name be said as its always been
Without emphasis, devoid of darkness
Life means what it's always been
It is what it is
The string is not cut, simply because I'm out of sight
I'm waiting for you, I'm not far
Just on the other side of the road
You see, all is good.

Tha fact my mom chose this back then gives me comfort.
While a bit cheesy it really represents her :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I touch that paper every day and briefly talk to her.

It soothes me and helps me in my still grieving process.

Just like sharing in here :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Top Bottom