• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Randdalf

* Completely ignores other numbers*

I really can't believe people have no idea why the Wii U, 3DS and Vita are tanking, there isn't any software. Simple, nothing to do with marketing, nothing to do with the consoles themselves, there is just no software.

The other numbers are, most likely, made up of FIFA and Call of Duty, probably with a bit of Just Dance thrown in. It's not healthy, eating junk food.

I keep saying this over and over again but whatever. The marketing for the WiiU in this country is near non-existant. I'm telling you, hardly anyone knows it exists and if they do they think it's just a Wii peripheral or something.

It's horrible. What on earth is Nintendo doing? They really should've branded the thing outside the "Wii" name. Pretty much everyone saw the obvious conflict yet Nintendo didn't apparently.

The lack of exclusive, must-have games doesn't help.

Or just have called it the Wii 2. No confusion then.

I really love my WiiU and I'm still convinced some epic gems will come out for it.
But Nintendo screwed up on so many aspects.

The biggest fault was that they were convinced that the WiiU would have the same appeal as the Wii when it hit the market... This is the reason why you see almost no ads for it, they expected the console and users to do the marketing for itself like the Wii.

My biggest disappointment with WiiU is that I really believed that 3rd party companies would restore SOME faith in Nintendo of putting their franchises on the console... I love Nintendo (even though I know they have flaws) and just wanted them to have success with 3rd party as well.
But I guess I was naive to begin with...

Looks I'll be owning a Sony and Nintendo console once again this gen.

hEist

well... to be honest?
deserved. If they can't deliver any decent software, what they are expecting? But well, the ninty-shop sales are not in there, or? But i don't think the online sales are so huge.

Not surprising. I got NSMBU at launch, and nintendo land. This was in what, november?

I got Sonic All stars racing transformed recently, which was another launch game. The Wii U hasn't had a significant release worth buying since launch (ignoring ports of games I already had from earlier systems).

There is literally nothing to buy on the system that I haven't already got elsewhere. It's so bad, I almost double dipped on AC3 when it GAME were selling it for £24.

The delay of rayman removed anything of note from febuary too. The next big game is... I don't event know. Lego City, maybe? Or a upscaled Monster hunter port.

It's no wonder software sales are through the floor, I (and the rest of the UK) can't buy good software that doesn't exist.

panda21

wasn't it the same for all console launches? generally there are almost no games for it so sales are poor and everyone thinks it is doomed.

the 360 had hardly any software after it launched in the uk so i would imagine sales were similarly bad?

javac

The only reason I haven't sold my WiiU yet is the sad truth that noone else wants it either.

When them Nintendo first party games release? I can't see people tripping over themselves for it but it'll become a whole lot more desirable.

liger05

3rd party ports were not the answer but it doesnt help when you walk into GAME and they want £50 for Batman, Zombie U and others.

That store even charges £39.99 for Paper Mario, Fifa and NSMB2 on the 3DS.

Its crazy!!!

Dereck

zX0TA.gif
Damn is that really the only time that Kaz laughed on camera?

Jezbollah

wasn't it the same for all console launches? generally there are almost no games for it so sales are poor and everyone thinks it is doomed.

the 360 had hardly any software after it launched in the uk so i would imagine sales were similarly bad?

The 360 was like rocking horse shit in terms of rarity here for a good few weeks, and had a wider range of software (NFS Most Wanted, Madden 06 etc). You could barely buy the console and with that the games were limited for a while.

It comes down to marketing and demand - I guess they go hand in hand. In terms of recent console releases, and I'm talking about PS2 back in 2000 as well, I have never seen so many Wii Us and it's software readily available on store shelves because no one is buying them

3rd party ports were not the answer but it doesnt help when you walk into GAME and they want £50 for Batman, Zombie U and others.

Its crazy!!!

I agree but I can't imagine that most of the gamers still don't know that you can get your games much cheaper when you order them on internet...
I buy my WiiU games for 35€ on Amazon UK (with free shipping in 3 days to Belgium) while the same games are being sold at 60€ at my local retailers...

If more people would buy of Amazon and other internet shops, local retailers would follow.

For me the biggest problem is the price of the software for the WiiU. Only last week I seen a copy of Batman: AC for £47, you can get this same game for under £15 for the 360.

The situation will only get worse when PS4 and new xbox are released. Nintendo better hurry up and release the Vitality Sensor!

If I recall correctly, it was extremely difficult to get a 360 in the UK near launch.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Wii U is barely a Gamecube 2 , which means I can ignore it this gen and wait for the next gen console with backwards compatibility.

That's what i thought too, didn't the PS3 go through a similar launch drought for a while also?

liger05

For me the biggest problem is the price of the software for the WiiU. Only last week I seen a copy of Batman: AC for £47, you can get this same game for under £15 for the 360.

The situation will only get worse when PS4 and new xbox are released. Nintendo better hurry up and release the Vitality Sensor!

Yep and when NFS hits or Sniper Elite (nobody cares about that) its going to the same situation. Over priced ports that will not sell.

Wii's success went to their head. Nintendo thought they could make a very basic, just above current gen console specs system, say "we HD now!", get a bunch of ports, and think they would sell out consoles across the globe.

Nintendo had it coming and I for one feel no sympathy for them.

360 had Oblivion and Ghost Recon within a few months of 2006. I thought the 360 launch was pretty decent to be honest. Condemned, PGR3, Amped 3, Ridge Racer 6, Call of Duty 2. Pretty rad in comparison to 3rd party ports of old games, a mini-game collection and another 2D Mario game.

Check out the CPU info thread.
While initially derided as an out-of-date piece of shit, its actually a high-tech, completely custom built little bit of wizardry.
Chipworks guy said something like "this is not cheap", and by far the costliest bit.

Utter idiocy from Nintendo, they must have really believed that the Wii name would cause another stampede.

I think everyone aside from us gamers had that incorrect perception. We could all see that the market was not going to catch-fire like the Wii but not the execs it seems.

How much of this disappointment and doom-mongering is down to unrealistic projections and expectations from the business side of things?

Sipowicz

Banned
3ds isn't doing too hot either

this is going to be an interesting gen for nintendo. cant see them recovering until they make a phone

Not surprising. I got NSMBU at launch, and nintendo land. This was in what, november?

I got Sonic All stars racing transformed recently, which was another launch game. The Wii U hasn't had a significant release worth buying since launch (ignoring ports of games I already had from earlier systems).

There is literally nothing to buy on the system that I haven't already got elsewhere. It's so bad, I almost double dipped on AC3 when it GAME were selling it for £24.

The delay of rayman removed anything of note from febuary too. The next big game is... I don't event know. Lego City, maybe? Or a upscaled Monster hunter port.

It's no wonder software sales are through the floor, I (and the rest of the UK) can't buy good software that doesn't exist.
It's not that bad. You still can buy ZombiU, the best exclusive this console has by far, or NG3:RE which is a much better version than the PS3/360 releases.

Do you have ALL the third party games on the other consoles? I mean, Batman for example is much better on WiiU than on the other consoles (the framerate bug is solved by putting the default resolution at 720p, and then framerate is fine and you have much better IQ and the advantages of off-screen playing/map/equipment), and both Darksiders 2 and COD:BLOPS2 are decent.
The existence of those games on other platform doesn't make them to disappear from the WiiU...

Wii's success went to their head. Nintendo thought they could make a very basic, just above current gen console specs system, say "we HD now!", get a bunch of ports, and think they would sell out consoles across the globe.

Nintendo had it coming and I for one feel no sympathy for them.

No. They had to. They're struggling with a development process on a platform which is comparable to PS360. They would have not been able to develop games in a fast pace for a more powerful console. They're just catching up.

Drek

I really love my WiiU and I'm still convinced some epic gems will come out for it.
But Nintendo screwed up on so many aspects.

The biggest fault was that they were convinced that the WiiU would have the same appeal as the Wii when it hit the market... This is the reason why you see almost no ads for it, they expected the console and users to do the marketing for itself like the Wii.

My biggest disappointment with WiiU is that I really believed that 3rd party companies would restore SOME faith in Nintendo of putting their franchises on the console... I love Nintendo (even though I know they have flaws) and just wanted them to have success with 3rd party as well.
But I guess I was naive to begin with...

Looks I'll be owning a Sony and Nintendo console once again this gen.
The Wii U is Gamecube 2.0, honestly. Nintendo's problem was that they mistook the Wii's success as them gaining a new core following of gamers, not seeing it as the casual fad it really was.

That led to Nintendo releasing a core-focused console with the Wii name and thinking it would somehow catch on by merits of being a "Wii" product.

3rd parties never fell for this, they understood that Nintendo consoles do not more 3rd party software to core gamers. This is why Nintendo can't get 3rd party support.

The Wii U will wind up as a quality system to own because just like the Gamecube Nintendo's first party lineup will be excellent and they'll bring enough non-Nintendo IPs to the party like they're doing with Bayonetta.

They've committed the same mistake with the 3DS. They mistook the NDS' runaway success as a product of their brand and hardware innovation to dual screens, forgetting that it's biggest selling point was lots of compelling software at a very friendly price.

If the 3DS was instead just the DS2 and lacked the 3D features no one would miss it and Nintendo could sell the system for significantly less, likely picking up right where the DS left off. They added meaningless hardware with no angle to sell it, and are suffering as a result.

The Wii U's tablet is the same thing. It sounds like a good idea in the vaguest of senses, but you've got to show us why it's worth paying for.

360 had Oblivion and Ghost Recon within a few months of 2006. I thought the 360 launch was pretty decent to be honest. Condemned, PGR3, Amped 3, Ridge Racer 6, Call of Duty 2. Pretty rad in comparison to 3rd party ports of old games, a mini-game collection and another 2D Mario game.

You're right, bought both oblivion and recon

Was going to buy Rayman legends but...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dead console in Europe at this point and requires a fairly hard relaunch. Rebrand, price-drop and accompanied by a three hit punch like new Mario, Retro game for more mature western audiences, and some other special sauce. Even then its got an uphill struggle.

le.phat

Third parties tried there hardest to get PS3 and Sony back on track.

Do you see third parties doing that for Nintendo?

yeah, that's obviously because 'third parties' favor company A to company B. Bastards. We should call them the league of evil third parties!

Its crazy!!!

No. They had to. They're struggling with a development process on a platform which is comparable to PS360. They would have not been able to develop games in a fast pace for a more powerful console. They're just catching up.

They had too??

The last years of Wii had so many draughts... They had more than a year to prepare for the WiiU... Remember all the hype before E3 and the meltdown after E3??

What has Nintendo been doing all those time?! They've had enough time to prepare for the HD era and beyond! No excuse!

Dead console in Europe at this point and requires a fairly hard relaunch. Rebrand, price-drop and accompanied by a three hit punch like new Mario, Retro game for more mature western audiences, and some other special sauce. Even then its got an uphill struggle.

UK's whole video game market is tanking in comparison to other country in Europe tbh.

Hanmik

That also has a camera, wii motion sensor bar, gyro, microphone, streaming, and more.

It's basically a damn handheld. That, along with the initial Wii U console costs brings the Wii U manufacturing costs to pretty insane levels for outdated graphical tech.

so does this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VTech-InnoTab-2-Learning-App-Tablet/21007448

I bought that for my 2½ year old daughter... it costs 70$ in retail..

and this ... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Techno+...mory/6913291.p?id=1218812710986&skuId=6913291

which is a little more expensive.,. 149$ in retail...

if they can make those (and others) pretty cheap, why can´t Nintendo..?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dat 800x480 single touch resistive screen. I can't see it.

Maybe the streaming tech is the expensive bit?

It is. Article hit GAF the week of release stating the streaming tech was near brand new and expensive.

Honestly, the failure of the Wii U forcing them to push their next console out in 4 years may be the best thing for Nintendo, as it would place them halfway between MS/Sony iterations.

The Wii U is Gamecube 2.0, honestly. Nintendo's problem was that they mistook the Wii's success as them gaining a new core following of gamers, not seeing it as the casual fad it really was.

That led to Nintendo releasing a core-focused console with the Wii name and thinking it would somehow catch on by merits of being a "Wii" product.

3rd parties never fell for this, they understood that Nintendo consoles do not more 3rd party software to core gamers. This is why Nintendo can't get 3rd party support.

The Wii U will wind up as a quality system to own because just like the Gamecube Nintendo's first party lineup will be excellent and they'll bring enough non-Nintendo IPs to the party like they're doing with Bayonetta.

They've committed the same mistake with the 3DS. They mistook the NDS' runaway success as a product of their brand and hardware innovation to dual screens, forgetting that it's biggest selling point was lots of compelling software at a very friendly price.

If the 3DS was instead just the DS2 and lacked the 3D features no one would miss it and Nintendo could sell the system for significantly less, likely picking up right where the DS left off. They added meaningless hardware with no angle to sell it, and are suffering as a result.

The Wii U's tablet is the same thing. It sounds like a good idea in the vaguest of senses, but you've got to show us why it's worth paying for.

Very true, Nintendo got arrogant and are paying the price

Top Bottom