• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

iceatcs

I just can't see if next Xbox or PS will save UK market. I think Digital totally killing the retailer market

Corto

"Are those shipped or sold through? Wii U has no games. Nintendo is doomed. Wii U means life."

I hope these covers the jokes.

Nintendo needs to react quickly as it reacted with 3DS fumbled launch. Aggressive pricing, steady high profile software releases and an Ambassador program 2.0 perhaps.

I said this in the Rayman thread yesterday but whatever..

Nintendo should of held back on the release of Wii U until they had substantial software for it. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Pikmin, 101, etc. They would be up against PS4/X3, but will be anyway.

Porcile

Yeah, they'll definitely push their software titles harder when they are actually about to come out. I just feel bad for the third parties who stuck their neck out early for the WiiU and then Nintendo kinda abandoned the console for its entire "launch window." Plus the fact that Nintendo's basically ignoring the WiiU will stifle development for software from 3rd parties when they evaluate sales. Nintendo knows what it's doing and I can kinda understand what they're going for, but they still have a lot to overcome.

Who might that be? Ubisoft? EA? Activison? THQ? Sega? Talk about sticking their neck out.

I just can't see if next Xbox or PS will save UK market. I think Digital has totally killed the retailer market

Recent report showed retail is still bigger and its growing slower than other entertainment digital services.

UK consumption is getting bludgeoned by its government. Not difficult.

KAP151

For a new console, those numbers are nothing short of appalling.

The software at the end of this year better be mindblowingly good, or this thing is toast.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It already sells at a loss... reducing the price is impossible at the moment and by the time they do, the window for an ambassador program will be long past.

I'm still not sure how the bolded is possible. I mean, Nintendo said the same thing about the 3DS and I didn't understand it then, either.

They must have some really horrible suppliers.

wrowa

At least the Wii U seems to be selling somewhat better in the rest of Europe, so there's that. I think Nintendo always had a rather tough time in the UK -- if I remember correctly it was also the only European market where Sega gave Nintendo a run for its money.

The Wii U tanking in Europe makes me feel pretty uneasy, though. NoE has been the saving grace of Wii localizations. If their business is starting to fall apart it might not be viable anymore to initiate localizations in Europe -- and after Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Project Zero 2 there's very, very good reason to doubt NoA's ambitions in that regard...

And now, empty february and march upcoming, yay. Probably doesn't look too much better anywhere.
I always knew their dumb launch window talk was bullshit, but I didn't think the lineup would end up THIS bad. Monster Hunter is my next Wii U game and the next that could appeal to the masses being Lego, both almost 2 months away.

Reap what you sow...

From every aspect, Nintendo has always treated Europe like shit.

They've been pretty good since several years. It's just that the Wii U generally doesn't offer very much right now.

jonno394

Not surpising considering:

A) Barely any retail presence
B) Games are still ridiculously expensive, how many of the 360/PS3 software units moved anywhere near RRP
C) Nintendo doesnt seem to want to put any money in to promoting the console, when was the last time anyone saw a Wii U advert (print/TV?)

Nintendo should just admit defeat, sell a Wii U SKU without a gamepad and thus making it cheaper to make and sell and just throw it directly as a competitor against the PS3/360 in terms of price. If people want a gamepad they can buy seperately, sure devs will then probably never/only rarely use the gamepad in unique ways like ZombiU due to the fact it will be an optional add on, but it might be a way forward

PaulLFC

You're really blaming Vita not selling well when your WiiU is even lower in launch period?
Wonderful
I wouldn't take him seriously, he has some sort of problem with the Vita in general (see his "wow 4 exclusives!" post in the Vita 2013 lineup thread - complete with incorrect maths).

wrowa

I'm still not sure how the bolded is possible. I mean, Nintendo said the same thing about the 3DS and I didn't understand it then, either.

Read the Chipworks GPU thread. The Wii U might not be very powerful, but it's still pretty expensive hardware apparently. It's just that for one reason or another Nintendo's number one priority seems to be efficiency instead of hardware power... Smart move? Not really.

Randdalf

The problem is not with the console itself, that's fairly cheap to manufacture (edit: or maybe not!). The problem is that the controller itself uses some quite sophisticated and expensive hardware (large screens, proprietary communication technology, NFC, etc.) which is where the loss is made.

KAP151

Not surpising considering:

A) Barely any retail presence
B) Games are still ridiculously expensive, how many of the 360/PS3 software units moved anywhere near RRP
C) Nintendo doesnt seem to want to put any money in to promoting the console, when was the last time anyone saw a Wii U advert (print/TV?)

I saw a total of 2 TVC's here in Australia over the Christmas break - and that was on a shitty station.

iceatcs

Recent report showed retail is still bigger and its growing slower than other entertainment digital services.

UK consumption is getting bludgeoned by its government. Not difficult.
Eh?!
I thought drop 25% from 2011. Quite big drop, quarter of market.

Dat 800x480 single touch resistive screen. I can't see it.

Maybe the streaming tech is the expensive bit?

That also has a camera, wii motion sensor bar, gyro, microphone, streaming, and more.

It's basically a damn handheld. That, along with the initial Wii U console costs brings the Wii U manufacturing costs to pretty insane levels for outdated graphical tech.

At least the Wii U seems to be selling somewhat better in the rest of Europe, so there's that. I think Nintendo always had a rather tough time in the UK -- if I remember correctly it was also the only European market where Sega gave Nintendo a run for its money.

Like I mentioned earlier
UK isn't Europe. Not saying the EU situation is great, but it's not quite on UK levels.

From Nintendo fiscal report UK was tied as the second best market as far as % of total was concerned, considering it's the biggest European market still it is probably second best for unit sales aswell.

Yup. They are doing much better in France, Germany and Spain.

France only most likely

Floex

UK in general is tanking with the game industry.

* Completely ignores other numbers*

I really can't believe people have no idea why the Wii U, 3DS and Vita are tanking, there isn't any software. Simple, nothing to do with marketing, nothing to do with the consoles themselves, there is just no software.

I can't fucking believe Pikmin 3 isn't out. It was a Wii game originally! What on Earth is going on in their studios?!

Compare them to studios like Naughty Dog or Bethesda. It's a joke.

Jezbollah

Not surprised at all.

People dont upgrade to a console when there is no compelling reason to do so.

Likewise, no one spending money when they have no compelling reason to do so.

In my opinion, the Wii U was the wrong console to release at the wrong time. Looks like I'm not the only person in this country who thinks that.

M.D

I said this in the Rayman thread yesterday but whatever..

Nintendo should of held back on the release of Wii U until they had substantial software for it. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Pikmin, 101, etc. They would be up against PS4/X3, but will be anyway.

The question is why didn't they have them ready for the Wii U launch? Launching a year before the PS4/X3 is genius, but Nintendo handled it poorly.

javac

Dat 800x480 single touch resistive screen. I can't see it.

Maybe the streaming tech is the expensive bit?

Don't Mock the gamepad bro! It's pretty awesome, screen looks nice even though I use an retina iPad on a day to day basis.

And yeah Miracast would be expensive. Also dat 9-axis gyro.

GeoramA

Pretty despressing. It's like Xbox in Japan over there. And yeah, things aren't going to get any better with the PS4 and new Xbox right around the corner.

Hedja

I keep saying this over and over again but whatever. The marketing for the WiiU in this country is near non-existant. I'm telling you, hardly anyone knows it exists and if they do they think it's just a Wii peripheral or something.

It's horrible. What on earth is Nintendo doing? They really should've branded the thing outside the "Wii" name. Pretty much everyone saw the obvious conflict yet Nintendo didn't apparently.

The lack of exclusive, must-have games doesn't help.

The question is why didn't they have them ready for the Wii U launch? Launching a year before the PS4/X3 is genius, but Nintendo handled it poorly.

Well yeah that's the other way of looking at it. I think they must be managed badly internally.

Top Bottom