• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Jobbs

Banned
As much as I like Metroid, I wish it wasnt so blatant about it.

it still looks great. Cool that it was made by a gaffer.

This is a fair criticism, and I'll be addressing it in the FAQ, but I'll say it here.

Basically, the origins of the game you see, as it exists now, can be traced back to a flash game I started developing about a year ago -- Where my aspirations weren't as high, I just wanted to make a metroid-like because Nintendo wasn't doing it.

The game grew a lot in its concepts and ideas and aspirations -- But, as of now, the basic gameplay mechanics and engine are still the same that I set up originally.

Moving forward, if funded, I intend to rebuild the art for high res (and it'll be MUCH!!! more detailed because it won't have all those size and memory constraints built into it like my flash game did!) and since we'll be recoding it from the ground up, I'll also be overhauling the gameplay mechanics. It'll still be similar to metroid in some ways, but it'll be much more visceral, with enemies stumbling and falling down, things being pushed back, the player being able to be knocked down -- and we'll have a basic melee attack for shoving enemies. It's all designed up here in my head -- It'll be metroid-like with a bit of a melee combo type game mixed into it for good measure, and I feel it'll be everything the game needs to give it its own distinct flavor.

Gbraga

This is a fair criticism, and I'll be addressing it in the FAQ, but I'll say it here.

Basically, the origins of the game you see, as it exists now, can be traced back to a flash game I started developing about a year ago -- Where my aspirations weren't as high, I just wanted to make a metroid-like because Nintendo wasn't doing it.

The game grew a lot in its concepts and ideas and aspirations -- But, as of now, the basic gameplay mechanics and engine are still the same that I set up originally.

Moving forward, if funded, I intend to rebuild the art for high res (and it'll be MUCH!!! more detailed because it won't have all those size and memory constraints built into it like my flash game did!) and since we'll be recoding it from the ground up, I'll also be overhauling the gameplay mechanics. It'll still be similar to metroid in some ways, but it'll be much more visceral, with enemies stumbling and falling down, things being pushed back, the player being able to be knocked down -- and we'll have a basic melee attack for shoving enemies. It's all designed up here in my head -- It'll be metroid with just a bit of a melee combo type game mixed into it for good measure, and I feel it'll be everything the game needs to give it its own distinct flavor.

Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png

~Kinggi~

Banned
As much as I like Metroid, I wish it wasnt so blatant about it, not gonna lie

it still looks awesome. Nice job jobbs

We havent had a lot of Super Metroid ripoffs (im not talking about the metroidvania concept, just its atmosphere and art design). I liked that atmosphere and design so much ill forgive this one.

bender

What time is it?
...it's just a matter of buckling down and remaining breathing.

I was going to say, "don't kill yourself", but it looks like you have that covered. You might want to consider adding a short pitch video. This always puts me more at ease with Kickstarters.

Jobbs

Banned
I was going to say, "don't kill yourself", but it looks like you have that covered. You might want to consider adding a short pitch video. This always puts me more at ease with Kickstarters.

This is something I must have gone back and forth on more than anything else over the past few weeks before launching.

Pros: Some people say it helps

Cons: I looked like a douchebag and my crap equipment fugs up the whole operation with its low qualitiness! it also removes some of the mystique of how the trailer leaves off.

It's natural to have some concerns about an individual making a game, all I can do is stake my reputation on it. If I fail to deliver a game, or deliver a shitty game, my life as a developer is basically over. And this is what I want to do. I'm not good at anything else that I care about. So I don't want it to be over.

Haunted

We havent had a lot of Super Metroid ripoffs (im not talking about the metroidvania concept, just its atmosphere and art design). I liked that atmosphere and design so much ill forgive this one.
If you're talking atmosphere and art design, I think we've had a few. Waking Mars, The Swapper, Capsized... also numerous indie games that had a more abstract/minimalistic approach, but still, were clearly influenced by Metroid.

No, what we don't have enough of are games that actually copy the Metroidvania level design and structure formula, with all of its locked doors, upgrades and backtracking shenanigans. Games like Capsized fall more into the action-oriented Turrican tradition, while The Swapper leans towards the puzzle genre.

That said, I agree with you that Jobbs' initial motivation "Nintendo won't do it, so I will" is a positive. A lot of the movement and environment design certainly feels very familiar.

edit: great music choice and logo design, btw. ^^

Mupod

I didn't even know what this was and I was sold on it by a random animated gif I saw a while back. Now I know what it is, so I'm in.

Moving forward, if funded, I intend to rebuild the art for high res (and it'll be MUCH!!! more detailed because it won't have all those size and memory constraints built into it like my flash game did!) and since we'll be recoding it from the ground up, I'll also be overhauling the gameplay mechanics. It'll still be similar to metroid in some ways, but it'll be much more visceral, with enemies stumbling and falling down, things being pushed back, the player being able to be knocked down -- and we'll have a basic melee attack for shoving enemies. It's all designed up here in my head -- It'll be metroid-like with a bit of a melee combo type game mixed into it for good measure, and I feel it'll be everything the game needs to give it its own distinct flavor.
Sold. Backed. Best of luck.

bender

What time is it?
This is something I must have gone back and forth on more than anything else over the past few weeks before launching.

I'm no expert, so feel free to ignore! I just like that personal touch of someone introducing themselves, talking about their game and what the money will be used for. It also saves from people who can't be bothered to read your pitch. I get being self-conscious, maybe voice over one of your demo reels and see how that plays. *shrug*

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game could be really great if emphasis is placed in the right spots. Super Metroid really evoked a sense of exploration and isolation and discovery like few did back in the day. It put attention into details to flesh out the world that you didnt normally see. And it had a really ambient soundtrack. If those feelings can be focused on then this will find an audience. Ill probably back it sometime this week.

Oh and protip, i have big nostalgia for 2d games that feature unique locations in the backgrounds that you eventually go to (you know like a building or unique monument on a hilltop or something). Castlevania did that in the past and i get nostalgia bunnies from it. Do that in a couple of outdoor areas.

Jobbs

Banned
Game could be really great if emphasis is placed in the right spots. Super Metroid really evoked a sense of exploration and isolation and discovery like few did back in the day. It put attention into details to flesh out the world that you didnt normally see. And it had a really ambient soundtrack. If those feelings can be focused on then this will find an audience. Ill probably back it sometime this week.

Oh and protip, i have big nostalgia for 2d games that feature unique locations in the backgrounds that you eventually go to (you know like a building or unique monument on a hilltop or something). Castlevania did that in the past and i get nostalgia bunnies from it. Do that in a couple of outdoor areas.

I think this game won't disappoint you.

I'm sorry to hype my own stuff, but I am absolutely sincere when I say I believe in this game, I believe the game will have absolutely memorable moments -- if I didn't think I could deliver something people would love, and scratch an itch that's currently not being scratched a lot, I'd never have attempted a KS.

I LOVE this shot.

If you go further to the right and down into the cave, you'll find another piece of the ship. The other engine.

seconengine.jpg

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Backed at the Early Bird level. It's my first Early Bird Project too! Anyway, the game looks really awesome and I'm happy to back it.

Despera

Banned
This couldn't come at a better time!

I was just thinking of Super Metroid/Fusion these past couple of days, and was itching for something with similar qualities.

Best of luck, Jobbs. This looks gorgeous as fuck. Hopefully it's as fun to play as it is to look at ;)

Jobbs

Banned
Will there be voice acting like in The Swapper, just text or nothing?

full voice over! there aren't a ton of characters and I know people I can fall back on who can fill the roles suitably, so it's a go.

I even did some tests myself, trying to decide if I could do the role of one of the characters: http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/VOtest-saymund_fx1.mp3 (I put on my own quick little reverb effects to make it sound like he's in a cave -- this is not final or mixed or whatever, just my own test)

it won't be "push A to listen to the guy talk" like some games. NPCs will talk when they have something to say, frequently by walking near them, or as part of a scripted sequence.

the reason I'm doing it this way is because of my vision for the whole thing -- I want it very ambient and natural and this is the way that seems best to me.

Despera

Banned
full voice over! there aren't a ton of characters and I know people I can fall back on who can fill the roles suitably, so it's a go.

I even did some tests myself, trying to decide if I could do the role of one of the characters: http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/VOtest-saymund_fx1.mp3 (I put on my own quick little reverb effects to make it sound like he's in a cave -- this is not final or mixed or whatever, just my own test)

it won't be "push A to listen to the guy talk" like some games. NPCs will talk when they have something to say, frequently by walking near them, or as part of a scripted sequence.

the reason I'm doing it this way is because of my vision for the whole thing -- I want it very ambient and natural and this is the way that seems best to me.
Gotta love that Demon's/Dark Souls chuckle lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think this game won't disappoint you.

I'm sorry to hype my own stuff, but I am absolutely sincere when I say I believe in this game, I believe the game will have absolutely memorable moments -- if I didn't think I could deliver something people would love, and scratch an itch that's currently not being scratched a lot, I'd never have attempted a KS.

This bodes well.

Ok i backed it.

i think weve found the spiritual successor to Megaman
since Capcoms too stupid to do anything worthwhile with him
edit:this thing needs to exist
Matt of TBFP is a fan of this kind of stuff right?
maybe work with him to have it go viral

soultron

Banned
I insta-backed after reading the bit following the video. Looks great so far and I'm really intrigued to know more about the moon's backstory.

Going to share this with pals at work tomorrow as well. They'll (hopefully) go bananas for it.

Ocaso

Pros: Some people say it helps

Cons: I looked like a douchebag and my crap equipment fugs up the whole operation with its low qualitiness! it also removes some of the mystique of how the trailer leaves off.

It's natural to have some concerns about an individual making a game, all I can do is stake my reputation on it. If I fail to deliver a game, or deliver a shitty game, my life as a developer is basically over. And this is what I want to do. I'm not good at anything else that I care about. So I don't want it to be over.

I thought the trailer and your info text were more than enough to hype me, for what it's worth.

That said, while I'm definitely backing the project, I do have one question I need answered. The game wears its Metroid influences on its sleeve, so to speak, but is it REALLY a pathfinding game? Metroidvania as a term gets misappropriated too often, applied to almost anything with an interconnected map and power ups, but the key thing I always want from these games is the reward that comes from deciphering where you have to go next and how to get there. Is it that type of game, or a more guided affair?

Jobbs

Banned
I thought the trailer and your info text were more than enough to hype me, for what it's worth.

That said, while I'm definitely backing the project, I do have one question I need answered. The game wears its Metroid influences on its sleeve, so to speak, but is it REALLY a pathfinding game? Metroidvania as a term gets misappropriated too often, applied to almost anything with an interconnected map and power ups, but the key thing I always want from these games is the reward that comes from deciphering where you have to go next and how to get there. Is it that type of game, or a more guided affair?

I'm kind of placing my bet on people not being idiots. I try to lay the game out in a way that makes sense, but no, there'll never be "Leesten!". No one's ever going to tell you what to do or where to go. There's an introductory portion of the game that lays out the setting, the motivations, and the emotional heart of the game. When you wake up at the beginning of the main game -- Good luck. You know the emotional longing the intro left you with, and you know you want to do something about it. Now go find your way.

If you know me you know how much I hate hand holding. I wouldn't invoke "Dark Souls" if I was going to make a hand holding game. That'd take balls.

Remember the passageway to the great hollow and ash lake? Yeah, so do I.

FlyFaster

wow this looks amazing.

edit: I'm not a big fan of most indie games or kickstarter in general but this may be the first game I back.

Jobbs you are amazing.

As others have said, its the fucking ART. It is blowing me away. A beautiful game. Truly.

edit2: I think it may be time for a new avatar...

Ocaso

I'm kind of placing my bet on people not being idiots. I try to lay the game out in a way that makes sense, but no, there'll never be "Leesten!". No one's ever going to tell you what to do or where to go. If you know me you know how much I hate hand holding. I wouldn't invoke "Dark Souls" if I was going to make a hand holding game. That'd take balls.

Remember the passageway to the great hollow and ash lake? Yeah, so do I.

Good to hear! Consider yourself officially backed!

(BTW, I've never played Dark Souls since I wasn't a fan of Demon's Souls. I'm unsure of whether I should give it a shot or not, given that, but I am aware of its distinct interconnected world.)

Gojeran

Wow looks amazing so far. Hopefully it plays really well. Super Metroid is a very high bar to aim for but even if you get 50% of SM you're still leaps ahead of most the games out these days. Will look forward to seeing more of this in the coming months.

Top Bottom