• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blasphemous II | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

vewN6AnD.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Blasphemous 2

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 24, 2023)
  • PC (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 24, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: The Game Kitchen

Publisher: Team17

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 97% recommended - 34 reviews

OJRHViR.png

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 100 / 100
Blasphemous 2 brings a stunning grotesque world to explore and stories that will haunt you long after you complete this truly remarkable action-platformer.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4.5 / 5
The battles are tough but fair, the magic and parrying system is satisfying, the weapon system caters to different playstyles, and the Liturgical Horror visuals are hauntingly beautiful.

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 8.5 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is another excellent Metroidvania that’s quite different from its predecessor in a number of ways, even if it doesn’t quite manage to supersede it overall.

Checkpoint Gaming - Tom Quirk - 8.5 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a truly stand-out Metroidvania that is an easy recommendation for fans of the original and newcomers alike. From its detailed and fluid animations to its wide assortment of gameplay improvements, Blasphemous 2 is everything a sequel to the already-strong Blasphemous should be. Although it isn't as consistently challenging as its formidable art direction and clear Soulslike influence would suggest, the core experience of Blasphemous 2 is still something fans of 2D platformers and Metroidvania exploration are sure to greatly appreciate.

Console Creatures - Luke Williams - Recommended
Skills and smarts are not sins in Blasphemous 2. This stellar spiritual successor to one of the best modern Metroidvanias uses them to strengthen significantly its overall spirit of play.

Cultured Vultures - Mike Worby - 8.5 / 10
Though Blasphemous 2 lacks the wow factor of the first game, it does smooth out its edges to the point where it feels like a tighter, more fluid experience.

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 8.5 / 10
Anyone who likes Metroidvanias should absolutely make time for Blasphemous 2. Aside from an underwhelming final act, I had nearly consistent fun with this one from start to finish. From the gorgeous visuals to the customizable combat, your journey as the Penitent One will be filled with steady highs and only occasional lows. It’s a great sequel, a great game, and just a great time in general. If you were a fan of Blasphemous, you’re in for a treat with Blasphemous 2.

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 5 / 5
Through all the beauty and bloodshed, Blasphemous 2 is a game that demonstrates why the pixel style endures and should be recognised as one of the best-looking games of the year. As you find yourself entrenched in its eerie environs, you will undoubtedly find it hard to put down.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 8.8 / 10
At several points in my lengthy journey through the Gothic delight that is Blasphemous 2, I worried the monstrous foe in front of me would spell an end to my journey. But without these frequent frustrations, the triumphs wouldn’t be as great. Blasphemous 2 takes inspiration from those that came before it, but by intertwining a gorgeous art style, enticing exploration, and rewarding combat, it rises above the horde of Castlevania-inspired action titles.

GameGrin - Conor McGuigan - 7.5 / 10
Though steeped in stunning artwork and illuminated by its intriguing lore, Blasphemous 2 is ultimately a paint-by-numbers Metroidvania title that is occasionally more frustrating than it is fun.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 8 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a success. If you enjoyed the first trip, here you will love this new pilgrimage.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 90 / 100
Blasphemous 2 is the perfect sequel fans could ever ask for. The sequel doubles down on everything Blasphemous is beloved for, and then proceeds to add a slew of new features. The result is a beautifully rendered action platformer with challenging combat, varied character builds, rewarding exploration, a plethora of side content and some great music. I would have liked to see more epic screen-filling boss fights, some post-campaign modes and reasonable regional pricing, but I guess the last wish is not up to the developer. Team17, if you’re reading this, fix your prices. Blasphemous 2 is a gem of a game otherwise.

GamesRadar+ - Joe Donnelly - 4.5 / 5
"Easily the game's crowning features, Blasphemous 2's blockbuster boss showdowns are spectacular affairs, sometimes bizarre and always brutal."

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 8.5 / 10
It is clear to see that Blasphemous 2 is an excellent sequel which addresses many of the issues that plagued the debut game. The combat retains its tactical and methodical nature but amps it up with improved mechanics and the breadth of customisation available to players. Similarly, exploration is even more enjoyable this time around, with environmental puzzles doing their part. Combine all of that with the stunning pixel art visuals, and you have a great time ahead of you, even if the storytelling can be a tad ostentatious.

IGN - Travis Northup - 8 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is an orthodox Metroidvania with style, creepy bosses, and a gloriously gross return to Cvstodia.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8.6 / 10
A sequel that first of all thinks about smoothing out the previous imperfections, before offering a series of very well implemented innovations overall.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 9 / 10
Blasphemous 2 takes the essence of the first game and elevates it to a new level. Challenging but fair, graphically simple but visually stunning. It is a sequel made with care and respect, that any fan of the format will find tremendously satisfying.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100
Blasphemous 2 is a lovely search action game made for anyone who wants a challenge, an R-rated experience, and a good mix of combat and exploration. For veterans, this sequel fixes a few of the problems from the first game so that it seems less cheap and buggy.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10
Blasphemous 2 sticks with the exquisitely dark and gory style of its predecessor whilst building on the core combat and improving upon the platforming we saw the first time around. The Game Kitchen could have served us up more of the same and we'd have been perfectly happy. However, they've made meaningful upgrades here, with deeper and more satisfying combat and three upgradable weapon sets that combine perfectly with environmental puzzling that feels more cohesive and fluid overall. The Penitent One's return to Cvstodia is an absolute banger.

NintendoWorldReport - Alex Orona - 8 / 10
The customization is substantial and the story brings even more rich lore to this world. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Cvstodia and plan on going back to 100% it, after I've had a bit of a break. Thank the miracle, this game rules.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Blasphemous II is a satisfying and meaty action platformer well worth its Metroidvania pedigree. Though I wished the difficulty of Blasphemous II would've been sustained throughout the experience, it progressively got easier the more you got powerful. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing because it allows for a wider audience, especially those not partial to crushingly difficult games like its predecessor.
It follows up a fantastic premise fantastically and delivers from start to finish with its solid adherence to its themes and visual playbook. Blasphemous II's story and visual panache hooks you and doesn't let go. It also doesn't hurt that the non-linear world is so vast and there's so much to explore. So many varied enemies to fight and, though easy, bosses to vanquish.

PCGamesN - Nat Smith - 7 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a well-constructed but ultimately conventional Metroidvania, and while it still delivers on holy grotesquerie and striking visuals, the end result is a sequel that feels markedly smaller in scope.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 85 / 100
Blasphemous 2 retains the core elements of the first game, but improves them with the addition of new combat, movement, and exploration mechanics. A must-play game for fans of Soulsvania games.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 9 / 10
It's always great to see a sequel improve on the original while keeping the spirit of the original alive. I loved my time in the crazy world of Blasphemous 2, with plenty of secrets to find and great combat that keeps you on your toes. Though its story could be a little more cohesive, it doesn't take much away from the overall product. Blasphemous 2 is easily one of the best indie titles of the year.

Polygon - Paulo Kawanishi - Unscored
In the end, Blasphemous 2 is a strong union of narrative and function. Its gloomy world is full of nooks and crannies to explore, and its inhabitants have compelling stories to tell. Its boss fights — arguably the biggest piece of twine — may be frayed, but the slick mechanics and biting themes more than make up for any weakness in the braid.

Push Square - Simon Fitzgerald - 9 / 10
Blasphemous 2 takes the foundations of its well-received predecessor and builds upon it in all the right ways. Tweaking combat to make it faster, smoother, and more accurate, removing insta-death scenarios to make platforming more manageable, and packing the game full to the brim with secrets and collectibles. The great attention to detail in the presentation and high level of polish make Blasphemous 2 a delightfully memorable experience that players will look back on fondly for years to come.

Rectify Gaming - Henry - 8.8 / 10
The Game Kitchen has created a captivating and hauntingly beautiful experience that stands as a testament to the artistry and creativity of indie game development. Blasphemous 2 is a worthy sequel to its predecessor and a must play for anyone that’s a fan of Souls-like Metroidvanias.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Matt Cox - Unscored
A fittingly punishing mashup of Metroidvania and Dark Souls, with lovely animations of many not-so-lovely things. Just make sure you actively track down the Chalice woman, and other hidden quality of life boosters.

Shacknews - Nicholas Tan - 8 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a solid sequel that improves upon its predecessor by being truer to its Metroidvania inspirations. It refines the concept of the original game by mixing classic platforming with more modern Soulslike themes. The combat and platforming aren’t ground-breaking, relying a lot on backtracking and collectibles, but the difficulty level generally strikes a fine balance between being challenging and fair. Along with a wonderful art style and spirited music, the game makes blaspheming a reason worth fighting for.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.9 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a sequel that knows how to improve a brilliant concept, previously held back by a dull combat system and a under-developed skill system. The art in the game and the monster design shine less in this second chapter of the series, but variety is now assured.

TechRaptor - Joe Allen - 7.5 / 10
Blasphemous 2's arresting religious imagery and massive world help to offset its rote boss design and confusingly pretentious narrative.

TheSixthAxis - Steve C - 9 / 10
I thoroughly enjoyed my time back with The Penitent One and would heartily recommend it both to fans of the original and newcomers alike. There are enough changes to make it feel like a new title whilst still having continuity in setting and aesthetic.

WayTooManyGames - Heidi Hawes - 9 / 10
Blasphemous 2 is a brilliant follow-up to its iconic predecessor. The combat has been improved from the original, and features new weapons and skills to better customize the gameplay to different playstyles.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8.5 / 10
Penitent One is back, and he's back in a big way in the sequel to one of the most interesting indie titles of recent years. Blasphemous 2 was quite a surprise when the game was announced earlier this year, as it seemed its predecessor wasn't that long ago. The sequel, however, does everything better than its predecessor, artistically, gameplay-wise and also in terms of overall atmosphere.
GamingInstincts - Elder Legend, Leonid Melikhov - 9.0/10.0
I am just going to be flat-out transparent here and tell you that if you enjoy titles such as Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring but want a different setting in a completely different dimensional format with awesome atmosphere, sound, and music, then you must play Blasphemous 2. If you are a Souls fan, then you need to play this game. It’s simple as that."

Last edited:

Madonis

I won't be playing it right now, but glad to know they learned from the first game, which was already pretty good!

BossLackey

Gold Member
This has come out at the worst time, I loved the first but this just has the wait for the moment.

For real. There are just too many great games to juggle at the moment. This would have been great in a lull.

Might take a break from BG3 and play it anyway.

Thanks for including us as always!

Here is also a video if you want a more in-depth look. If you just want to watch a slice of gameplay and audio and see the atmosphere skip to 2:22 on the video. Pure gameplay without commentary so you can get a feel.

If you've never played any of the games before then I suggest you watch from start to finish. TLDR - If you like Souls, but want a 2D game instead, buy this.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Christ man I don't have time for this right now but I can't wait to play it. Why is my life busiest when there's tons of great games out?

Pre - loaded for Switch. So fucking hyped seeing all the good scores. Next friday is gonna be glorious.
You'll have a good time! Here is a small tip, take the big flail as the weapon at the beginning. It's very helpful compared to the other 2 at start. You'll unlock them later, but flail makes things easier. The range of it is insane and you can melee hit enemies through walls and platforms.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
My review to every metroidvania would be :

Another game that makes you wish Koji Igarashi were still be making game.

Mr Hyde

Also really looking forward to the soundtrack. The soundtrack for the first game is

nelc7gnbyoy51.jpg

Music for cultured people.

The soundtrack was actually the one thing that first hooked me on the game when I played the demo. It was so good and pulled me into the world like no other. Then I discovered that the game itself was also equally amazing 🤩

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you like 2D Metroidvania types, I'd say so.

Absolutely. If you don't mind metroidvanias.

of course not. very much recommended though, especially if you like metroidvanias, particularly the exploration aspect. You won't be getting a bunch of different weaponsn and fiddling with inventory like in the Igavania games.

IMG-9097.jpg

Pre-ordered. Thanks everyone. I had issues with the first game, but I’m willing to give Blasphemous 2 the benefit of the doubt. If not, I’m never trusting a Metroidvania unless it’s a Metroid or a Castlevania.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What was your issue with the first game ?
Cheap deaths on platforming that didn’t really appeal to my imagination. I don’t mind open levels, but sometimes the way they’re designed pisses me off. It’s like enjoying Ori and the Forest and Hollow Knight, they start out great, and then you get to a particular design in level structure. It starts to get annoying because the way the game wants you to travel doesn’t feel good and I eventually lost interest. I got Death’s Gambit when that came out and I didn’t think it was horrible. I thought that had better level design to it. Ender Lilies was the same way. I liked the bosses, but the platforming was me. I’ve finished AoS, SotN, CotM, CIV, OoE, Super and Metroid Dread, and etc. If I’m not feeling it, aka harmony of dissonance, then I’ll probably take the L and move on. I kinda got that way about Record of Lodoss War. Awesome game for short periods of time. I should go back to that sometime.

I’m not set in my ways, so sequels can change everything. How many years has it been? Lol

Last edited:
Cheap deaths on platforming that didn’t really appeal to my imagination. I don’t mind open levels, but sometimes the way they’re designed pisses me off. It’s like enjoying Ori and the Forest and Hollow Knight, they start out great, and then you get to a particular design in level structure. It starts to get annoying because the way the game wants you to travel doesn’t feel good and I eventually lost interest. I got Death’s Gambit when that came out and I didn’t think it was horrible. I thought that had better level design to it. Ended Lilies was the same way. I liked the bosses, but the platforming was me. I’ve finished AoS, SotN, CotM, CIV, OoE, Super and Metroid Dread, and etc. If I’m not feeling it, aka harmony of dissonance, then I’ll probably take the L and move on. I kinda got that way about Record of Lodoss War. Awesome game for short periods of time. I should go back to that sometime.

I’m not set in my ways, so sequels can change everything. How many years has it been? Lol
There is a region or 2 where you have to be careful how you traverse because of their design. So you are going to have to either A) Adjust to it or B) really get used to opening up the mini map a lot more periodically too see if you can proceed forward or fall down. But to be honest, I've rarely had any deaths personally due to map/level design. Most of my deaths occurred during challenging arena wave based fights or certain bosses, that's about it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There is a region or 2 where you have to be careful how you traverse because of their design. So you are going to have to either A) Adjust to it or B) really get used to opening up the mini map a lot more periodically too see if you can proceed forward or fall down. But to be honest, I've rarely had any deaths personally due to map/level design. Most of my deaths occurred during challenging arena wave based fights or certain bosses, that's about it.
That’s great to hear. I think I was just in one of those moods where I wasn’t flowing with the design. Taking a break, like I have, will help readjust. It normally does. I haven’t played a game like this in a while. Dread was the last one I really liked.

Cheap deaths on platforming that didn’t really appeal to my imagination. I don’t mind open levels, but sometimes the way they’re designed pisses me off. It’s like enjoying Ori and the Forest and Hollow Knight, they start out great, and then you get to a particular design in level structure. It starts to get annoying because the way the game wants you to travel doesn’t feel good and I eventually lost interest. I got Death’s Gambit when that came out and I didn’t think it was horrible. I thought that had better level design to it. Ender Lilies was the same way. I liked the bosses, but the platforming was me. I’ve finished AoS, SotN, CotM, CIV, OoE, Super and Metroid Dread, and etc. If I’m not feeling it, aka harmony of dissonance, then I’ll probably take the L and move on. I kinda got that way about Record of Lodoss War. Awesome game for short periods of time. I should go back to that sometime.

My main issue with the first one was definitely the random platforming sections as well. There weren't that many, but they were certainly the low point of if the game. I thought it was fantastic other than that.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just a heads-up that the soundtrack is up on Spotify and it sounds great!

Edit: also very annoyed that it appears to be up on the PS Store but I have to wait another 9 hours for the Steam version to unlock. Stop with this shit please.

Last edited:

Duchess

also very annoyed that it appears to be up on the PS Store but I have to wait another 9 hours for the Steam version to unlock. Stop with this shit please.
Maybe the release times are based on region on PS Store, but Steam uses a single timestamp for everyone..?

Can't believe it, I just snagged the last Switch copy from a local game store for just €8 including shipping. 😭 Now I'll have both a PS5 and a Switch copy arriving hopefully tomorrow!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
It’s so good. They nailed it, must play for anyone who liked the first one. I’m balls deep in ACVi but managed to play for a few hours yesterday, left at the second boss. Love the new weapons and how they made conbat so much deeper. Lol @ the spike kill save mechanic, they really took some of the feedback to heart.

ssringo

I still have no clue what's going on or what a lot of the terminology even means but the gameplay is great and I'm enjoying it even more than the first one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am enjoying this. I played for about an hour or so on my Steam Deck. I took @Elder Legend’s advice with the ball/mace for distance. That’s been working well with agile movements. I already like the level design a lot more than I did with the first game. Lore of confusing as hell, but it’s serviceable.

Last edited:
I am enjoying this. I played for about an hour or so on my Steam Deck. I took @Elder Legend’s advice with the ball/mace for distance. That’s been working well with agile movements. I already like the level design a lot more than I did with the first game. Lore of confusing as hell, but it’s serviceable.
Glad to hear it's been working out.

Yeah, the lore is a bit all over the place lol but it's still interesting. You don't get too see many games that are themed around religion

Success

Draugoth Draugoth why have an OpenCritic link but no Metacritic link?​

vewN6AnD.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Blasphemous 2

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 24, 2023)
  • PC (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 24, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: The Game Kitchen

Publisher: Team17

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 97% recommended - 34 reviews

OJRHViR.png

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 100 / 100

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4.5 / 5

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 8.5 / 10

Checkpoint Gaming - Tom Quirk - 8.5 / 10

Console Creatures - Luke Williams - Recommended

Cultured Vultures - Mike Worby - 8.5 / 10

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 8.5 / 10

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 5 / 5

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 8.8 / 10

GameGrin - Conor McGuigan - 7.5 / 10

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 8 / 10

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 90 / 100

GamesRadar+ - Joe Donnelly - 4.5 / 5

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 8.5 / 10

IGN - Travis Northup - 8 / 10

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8.6 / 10

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

NintendoWorldReport - Alex Orona - 8 / 10

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy

PCGamesN - Nat Smith - 7 / 10

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 85 / 100

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 9 / 10

Polygon - Paulo Kawanishi - Unscored

Push Square - Simon Fitzgerald - 9 / 10

Rectify Gaming - Henry - 8.8 / 10

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Matt Cox - Unscored

Shacknews - Nicholas Tan - 8 / 10

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.9 / 10

TechRaptor - Joe Allen - 7.5 / 10

TheSixthAxis - Steve C - 9 / 10

WayTooManyGames - Heidi Hawes - 9 / 10

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8.5 / 10

GamingInstincts - Elder Legend, Leonid Melikhov - 9.0/10.0

Loved the first game, bought it day 1, completely forgot this was releasing this week. Armored Core 6 just came out so surely this could wait, right? Nope, bought it last night 🥳

After playing for a couple of hours it's clear the game has built upon it's prequel's foundation and improved in every way possible. From the very start being able to choose your starting weapon was a welcome surprise, I went with the sword but unlocked the heavy flail yesterday and man that thing is a beast, power *and* reach but no parry as a trade-off.

New wood carvings system is dope, especially the hint that certain combinations can unlock hidden buffs. Lots of weird and intriguing NPC's, found 2 hidden sisters for the cyclops nun, both of them behind illusory walls, wonder what this will eventually unlock, 1st playthroughs always 100% blind. The dark gothic art is as gorgeous as ever, the OST is already a contender for best of the year, 2023 has been delivering *all* the goods.

Just a heads-up that the soundtrack is up on Spotify and it sounds great!

Edit: also very annoyed that it appears to be up on the PS Store but I have to wait another 9 hours for the Steam version to unlock. Stop with this shit please.
I heard a lot of complaints anout the OST when the first one came out and I thought that was fucking crazy talk. The Spanish guitars with moody strings and 100lbs of reverb were magnificent imo.

The track for the convent with the burnt-face nuns is brilliant.

Edit: Smashing that Buy button hard 2niteeeee

Last edited:
Top Bottom