• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DAHBOMB, HOW COULD YOU?! You know this means we can't be friends anymore, right?

I'm kidding ♥

Dahbomb

By the way since people missed it, it was discovered that the game has "just" charge inputs like in DMC4 with Gilgamesh and also the "sweet spot" mechanic in Darksiders 2.

All chargeable moves in DmC have a "perfect" release window where if you release the charge as soon as the weapon flashes it will perform a perfect version of the move that will have more hits, do more damage and give more style points.

Currently the mechanic is observed in the moves Drive (Rebellion), Raze (Osiris) and E&I (Ricoshot). Ricoshot perfect release LVL3 causes knockback property to be added to the bullets which would make it an excellent crowd control move on higher difficulties.

The "perfect" charge moves in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=97STmgmJiXU

JoeFenix

Not being able to target the correct enemies consistently is indeed easier in DmC thanks to the "improved" controls over its predecessors.

BadAss2961

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

DmC is an okay action game, but does not hold a candle to the older games. It's not as deep, it's slower, and it's far more contained in its action. Watch the expert players play DMC3, and then this game.

Hell, I'm a beginner DMC player, and I can already feel the brokeness in the demo. But it's better than DMC2, so it has that. Older fans have every right to be angry, as this isn't progression, but should take solace in the fact that Capcom is still trying to create more DMC games as well as DmC games.
Or DMC4 which is amazing in its combat as well.

If they are talking about the 60fps pc version, then hell yeah. I've liked nearly everything about the demo more so than other dmc games, but that frame rate is complete ass and looks like shit on screen. First time in my life I actually want a pc version and may care enough to get it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Eggman predictions

Gametrailers: 8.3
IGN: 8.5
Gamespot: 8.0

Edge: 7/10
Giantbomb: 4/5
Eurogamer: 7/10

Metacritic: 78/100

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eggman predictions

You forgot the most important one... Famitsu!

Dahbomb

Wow.

T_T

I'm just going to stop posting about this cuz I'm just diggin myself a hole. Apparently I don't get jokes and alike today. Ugh.
The joke is that IGN made a sparking preview of DmC not too long ago but made the mistake of saying that DMC3 came out in 2008 (which it didn't). Keeping in line with the language of the preview, I made a joke review of IGN and used the same line in the review.

The preview was filled with hyperbole as you would imagine and I extended that hyperbole into the review. Most people are expecting this game to get good reviews.

Eggman predictions

Way off predictions. No way this game is going to score below 80/100 or below NT's previous games.

V_Arnold

This game will definitely be around 81-84 on Metacritic, THAT I predict.
Longtime hardcore fans will keep on doing DMC4/DMC3 combo videos and reminescense about the past - rightfully so.

Some people will change over this and produce good and enjoyable combo videos. That will get shit on by some of the fans, and will be embraced by others. Rightfully so.

And from now on, every time a DMC-related thread pops up, we will all have a chance to discuss that DmC vs DMC over some chilled wine :p

How's that for a prediction?

sleepykyo

Eggman predictions

At least 8/10 for eurogamer. HS got a 7 and DmC is Heavenly Sword evolved.
It is going to be in the 90s for metacritic.

BadAss2961

Way off predictions. No way this game is going to score below 80/100 or below NT's previous games.
His predictions seem pretty solid to me. I really can't see this game averaging over an 8, but who knows these days.
If it gets good sales, which it probably will, and good enough reviews, which it probably will, then they will make a sequel.
Without much support from the DMC fanbase, I think this is going to flop. I definitely don't see it outselling DMC4.

Or maybe i'm just hoping.

You must be crazy if you don't think that this ends up close to 90 on MC

Enslaved is 82 and both runs and plays like shit compared to this

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Without much support from the DMC fanbase, I think this is going to flop. I definitely don't see it outselling DMC4.

Or maybe i'm just hoping.

Just because the DMC fanbase won't buy it doesn't mean the entire game will flop. Sure the fanbase contribute a fair amount of sales in video games but if they market it well and people buy it when they hear it's good, it will sell. Outselling DMC4 is definitely a possibility. Scratch that. Highly likely.

I'm thinking of getting it on PC regardless. I re-played the demo today and I still enjoy it a lot. I'd like to buy it day one. I just hope I can find the time to play it!

EDIT: Ugh, that Level reviews reeks of PR in the way it's written.

It's Level. What do you expect? With that said, the same can be said with the majority of mainstream game review magazines these days.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Haven't played the demo, how is the combat?

Is it at least as good as Darksiders 2?

I enjoyed Darksiders 2 more but just because it had lock-on. It just makes me feel like I have more control over what I do.

Dahbomb

Haven't played the demo, how is the combat?

Is it at least as good as Darksiders 2?
I would say so yes but the focus on combat is different between the two.

Darksiders 2 is more about ground combat, constantly evading and counter attacking because enemies are more aggressive. DmC is more about aerial combat, constantly comboing and using appropriate toolsets. Both games have some similar mechanics like the pull and "just charge" system. DS2 has a lock on but the lock on is bad when near multiple combatants or near corners (it's solid against singular large targets though).

Wary of early reviews, but I hope this is good. There's nothing coming out January that I know of but this.

ni-no-kuni-us-cover.jpg

Top Bottom