• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Blizzard created a Pride Event for Overwatch during Pride Month...

Zaventem

For some reason i though this was a sarcastic attempt at humor. There are better way to include gay pride than the majority of awful ideas listed here ( the gay pride flag spray i think is a cool idea actually)

I think your heart is in the right place OP but I don't think parading a bunch of garish stereotypes is necessarily the best way to celebrate the community. blizzard is already largely doing what they should be doing, "Tracer is a lesbian, and it doesn't matter." LGTBQ members are just looking for the freedom to live their lives as they choose, not to have Elton John skins available to them in every game they play.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you weren't an homophobic or bigot why would you have a problem with it?

"Where's my event. . ." for starters. And then there's the idea that you can reduce a lifestyle or group of people to skin swaps and not get blowback for it.

Forkball

I think your heart is in the right place OP but I don't think parading a bunch of garish stereotypes is necessarily the best way to celebrate the community. blizzard is already largely doing what they should be doing, "Tracer is a lesbian, and it doesn't matter." LGTBQ members are just looking for the freedom to live their lives as they choose, not to have Elton John skins available to them in every game they play.

I have to agree with this. The OPs suggestions seem like something a contestant would spout out during a game of Pyramid.

"Rainbows, wacky costumes, Elton Jo-"

"THINGS THAT ARE GAY!"

I don't have any issue with having some pride event, but this seems to be highlighting stereotypes more than trying to be inclusive. I do want Soldier 76 to have a polka dot outfit though.

T_V_H

Considering the amount of homophopic slurs that get thrown around when playing Overwatch. I think it is safe to say that a portion of the playerbase would have problem with this. Which is not to say that Blizzard should not do something like this, because fuck the people who have problems with it.

opricnik

Banned
I mean, it would be cool. I fully support Blizzard doing as many events as they fucking want.

Although it is almost guaranteed that they would want to do the 'fun' holidays. So no Black History, or Veterans, Columbus (ugh), Presidents etc.

That said, if that is what they want to do, then I fully support that as well. They are not obligated to follow any pattern other than their whims. And we should not demand or expect anything.
This is a worldwide game why the fuck they would celebrate usa presidents(???)

Briarios

I would totally be for this, if only because so many heads would explode.

If they were, they should get LGBT fashion designers to do the costumes ... they'd probably be fabulous, and, again, people's heads would explode.

etrain911

Not only that, but a Ru Paul skin may be considered offensive by members of the trans community who don't approve of drag culture as some perceive it as taking their identities and turning it into performance.

finowns

I have to agree with this. The OPs suggestions seem like something a contestant would spout out during a game of Pyramid.

"Rainbows, wacky costumes, Elton Jo-"

"THINGS THAT ARE GAY!"

I don't have any issue with having some pride event, but this seems to be highlighting stereotypes more than trying to be inclusive. I do want Soldier 76 to have a polka dot outfit though.

I didn't think about this.

DragonNC

meet-mccree-the-face-of-overwatch-s-offense-meta.png

B4F2FB2AB5BF4B128C74DC98BF98816B.ashx

Perfet !

HeatBoost

Maybe it's different when it's two girls, but cosplaying as your own girlfriend's a bit... weird, ain't it?

Also, if it's going to be a gay iconography where the hell is Batman Reaper and Robin Sombra?

SoulUnison

Banned
Maybe it's different when it's two girls, but cosplaying as your own girlfriend's a bit... weird, ain't it?

I could get behind Tracer in Emily's outfit with a special voice line along the lines of "Date someone the same size - double your wardrobe!"

But yeah, I don't want to set a precedent for skins that change a character into a different person entirely.

I thought this was a satirical post at first, lol.

I don't think what OP is suggesting would mesh well with how Blizzard has been handling their characters. They've put a lot of effort into making their characters diverse in a way that both avoids stereotypes and also doesn't make that diversity the center point of each character.

Exactly how I feel.

TBH As someone who is part of the LGBT community (however small my part is as I don't feel my sexuality should have any bearing other than what partner I choose) nothing in the OP appeals to me.

I honestly feel the best way to promote LGBT ideals isn't mascot esq glam fests and is about handling the situation as if it's the normal thing it is. Don't pay overtly special attention just include it at appropriate times.

A stylized team based shooter with very little actual story really does not seem an appropriate time.

Flintty

I don't know. It's a nice thought but feels a bit too political? If something that's meant to be a fun event splits the fan base (as wrong as it is, it shouldn't be the case - people should be better than this) then it's probably a bad idea.

Gradon

I like how civil this thread has been with everyone. So thanks! In regards to the campy stereotypical costume choices: I chose them as I know the individuals listed have meant something to people in the LGBT community as their status as gay icons.

The costumes were also chosen because I like their designs and wanted something conceped to support the event, however, that doesn't mean it HAS to be the precedent.

My whole idea revolves 100% about a pride event in general, Blizzard can do it with or without the steretypical outfits.

I really like the idea of hiring LGBT costume designers to create some unique desgins with an LGBT motif!

I'm also a big fan of the black history month idea! More diverse events are always welcome.

About Boy George and Rupauls apparent biphobia and transphobia, I'm sorry if I offended anyone with those choices, I see your points and that's why I asked for opinions and I really appreciate the input!

Deft Beck

As a gay male, I completely agree with this post.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I want to see this just to watch assholes loose their shit. And also because it would be really cool. Maybe not those super outlandish costumes but something more decent.

"But where is OUR pride month??!"

Lady gaga fucking sucks. Untalented, tanked, bad music, no charm. 25 million dollar waste. Sting outsold

You know what? I actually kinda dug her debut "The Fame" and her Tony Bennet collab, "Cheek to Cheek" was surprisingly solid too, but the rest of her discography is pretty unremarkable, I have to admit.

MrV4ltor

You know what? I actually kinda dug her debut "The Fame" and her Tony Bennet collab, "Cheek to Cheek" was surprisingly solid too, but the rest of her discography is pretty unremarkable, I have to admit.

How can you like "The Filler" and not mention Born This Way aka the album of the millenium.
And I thought my taste was messy.

I think it will cause a big uproar and don't see why you want them to go against their approach of diversity which is not make it a big deal. I think they handled Tracer being gay perfectly.

They didn't make it a big deal, it's the future, it shouldn't be this shocking revelation, we shouldn't even be batting an eye at whom is with whom.

I totally get the love for it from the community, representation for the community in the most popular game from last year, but putting those flag sprays in game is going to incite nasty comments from people in lobby, in a game community which is already pretty mean spirited. It's like all the jerks from WoW trade chat and Barrens chat now have a vocal outlet.

Granted I'll gladly take the event, it won't stop me from playing plus I always look forward to the mini games blizzard comes up with, though that "attacking the other teams float" sounds like it would be some horrible/counter productive optics.

Lyng

I can point out that the menu screen was plastered with four characters wearing Santa hats and standing in front of a Christmas tree.

All western, Christian presentations of Christmas.

Tbf Santa and Christmas have nothing to do with actual christianity. They stem from a viking feast which the catholic church adobted to lure heathens to their beliefs...Santa is actually a pedo monster originally

So just a recap of this thread, Straight people want a pride advent so they can troll other people. Gay people have said no they don't want their sexuality to be a costume. They just want equal rights and to blend into society and are being called homophobes about it?

bjork

I would be in trouble, trying to get Boy George Lucio and Madonna Sombra. Or rather, my credit card would be.

So just a recap of this thread, Straight people want a pride advent so they can troll other people. Gay people have said no they don't want their sexuality to be a costume. They just want equal rights and to blend into society and are being called homophobes about it?
No?

Both straight and gay people have argued for and against it.

Top Bottom