• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Blizzard created a Pride Event for Overwatch during Pride Month...

Permanently A

In for Polka: 76

edit: I don't like the destroy the pride float thing, makes it feel antagonistic to LGBT. I like the pride float idea though. I would make a new simple map - straight line, payload in the middle, with two goals at each end. Each team has to try to get the float to the other end. Basically imagine the Lucioball stadium but dressed for pride instead.

Basketball

Take the shirt off Torb's Deadlock skin and add some nipple piercings.

Really though, these are some great concepts! It would be nice if Blizzard did something for Pride Month, even if it were just some sprays and maybe a re-design of Tracer's summer skins with with the rainbow flag swapped in.

Only if Mercy gets the same treatment

Is Reaper actually gay? I see all kinds of LBGT content for Tracer, Mercy, Pharah, and Widowmaker, but I don't know anything about any of these characters aside from Mercy x Genji supposedly being canon, and that upsets a lot of people.

Thank you! :)

I mean probably not. I find the idea of Reaper as he is now being attracted to anything but death and revenge to be kinda silly.

Gabriel Reyes though? Sure

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
One lesbian/bi character is incredibly inclusive? My god the bar is low.

Pretty sure they were referring to different races/backgrounds/nationalities as well. And even if they weren't let's not even try and pretend like having LGBTQ characters in games these days are common place because we both know that's a goddamn lie.

Is Reaper actually gay? I see all kinds of LBGT content for Tracer, Mercy, Pharah, and Widowmaker, but I don't know anything about any of these characters aside from Mercy x Genji supposedly being canon, and that upsets a lot of people.

Thank you! :)
Tracer is confirmed gay

Roadhog/Junkrat are heavily implied. They finish each other's voice lines, they have matching sprays, the Halloween event was focused on Junkenstein and his monster (with the official Overwatch page even posting "find someone who looks at you the way Junkenstein looks at his monster" and a screenshot of Junkrat hugging him), and Hog's Christmas skin had a "from Junkrat" sticker on the gun.

Apart from that nothing is confirmed except that Blizzard said there is more than one LGBT hero.

Hagi

I think this would be cool if the costumes weren't tied to RNG loot boxes and you could actually buy the ones you wanted with the money going to some kind of charity. I'd buy a Freddy Mercury costume for sure.

MrV4ltor

One of these would be better for a Lady Gaga skin:

lady_gaga_catsuit_17qp1p3-17qp1vc.jpg

5727fb1c160000e40031d60c.jpeg

lady-gaga-the-artpop-ball-tour-2014--1399297748-custom-0.jpg

lady-gaga-est-tellement-proche-de-son-public-qu-elle-partage-tout-avec-meme-son-camel-toe_146592_w620.jpg

Maybe it's because I'm straight, but none of those skins really appeal to me. I like the Dorothy idea, but more because it's a classic image. I've no clue what it'd have to do with pride. I'll admit I'm ignorant of LGBT subculture, but I think that goes for a lot of people.

So for selfish reasons, I'll just say I'd rather have an event that appeals to everyone, not just people within that subculture.

I mean if they really wanted to they could probably add Pride skins that showed up as default in regions where it wasn't allowed. It would be just like how they blocked access to the Christmas comic in russia instead of changing it.

No.
Or he's at least Bisexual if he also likes dudes.

IIRC it seems like he had a family before the incident turning him into a super zombie.

It's somewhat implied he did in the Christmas comic where he is stalking a family.

But maybe he just wants to make a Batman

Zomba13

I would love for this to happen though I'm unsure what the game mode could be (though I'm also unsure what the mode for Chinese new year could be too...).

I'm not a fan of any game mode where one side is pro LGBT and the other against. It just seems like a bad idea to have one side shoot up a gay person or a symbol of pride especially when you don't get to pick your side.

I think it would have to be some kind of PvE thing or a friendly competition? Maybe something like, you have the map with a bunch of items on it and each team fights over the items needed for a float or something? That way there is still fighting, but both sides are in support of LGBT and even if you lose, love wins.

MrV4ltor

Maybe it's because I'm straight, but none of those skins really appeal to me. I like the Dorothy idea, but more because it's a classic image. I've no clue what it'd have to do with pride. I'll admit I'm ignorant of LGBT subculture, but I think that goes for a lot of people.

So for selfish reasons, I'll just say I'd rather have an event that appeals to everyone, not just people within that subculture.

Calling someone a 'friend of dorothy' was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning, dating back to at least World War II, when homosexual acts were illegal in the US.
Plus The Wizard Of Oz is just an iconic movie in LGBT culture in general. It's even one of my favorite movies of all time.

Are people not noticing the suggested inclusion of a 'heterosexual flag' spray? There are issues some of the suggested celebrities having with some of our queer communities as well.

If it was done like this, it would be pretty bad.

Yes, a Pride Event would be radical. It can be the month that they announce the orientations of the rest of the characters, and that the only straight one on the entire cast is Bastion~

Canucked

Not everyone celebrates Halloween, Christmas or Chinese New year, but with a game featuring a diverse cast, wouldn't it be cool to feature diverse imagery and events? It doesn't mean you have to identify, but you can still appreciate the gesture.

Trike

There nothing political about celebrating diversity and love.

Except LGBT rights have been a pretty big political issues for years. Considering how much of an international hit the game is, I doubt Blizzard would risk alienating any playerbase and starting whatever PR shitstorm this would likely cause.

While I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea on a personal level, at a business level it wouldn't make sense. They are going to steer clear of anything controversial for their events as there is no reason for them to stop their cashflow. I don't see a Pride Event selling as many loot crates as events like Halloween or Christmas.

Hagi

There's like what 5 events that will appeal to everyone anyway so I don't see the harm in something like this. Inclusiveness in gaming communities shouldn't just be aimed at the majority.

Platy

Rob Halford skin for Reaper

Birdetta skin for DiVa

Lost Vikings skin for Thorbjorn as a way of Blizzard saying one of the 3 is gay

I can't think of a gorilla skin that would not feel homophobic =/

Gradon

I think it would have to be some kind of PvE thing or a friendly competition? Maybe something like, you have the map with a bunch of items on it and each team fights over the items needed for a float or something? That way there is still fighting, but both sides are in support of LGBT and even if you lose, love wins.

I like this idea a lot more than mine. Thee Halloween event is the only one that I haven't played so I wasn't sure how the PvE worked in that either.

EDIT:
Are people not noticing the suggested inclusion of a 'heterosexual flag' spray? There are issues some of the suggested celebrities having with some of our queer communities as well.

If it was done like this, it would be pretty bad.

The heterosexual flag is real, it was included with the list of LGBT flags I found. What celebrities have issues with the LGBT community?

mollipen

Absolutely zero interest in seeing this happen. I love the fact that one of the characters is gay, but Tracer's story happened where it should: outside of the game.

Sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, real-world country issues, those things and more should be kept out of the game, because they have no place. As one of the best-known Pharmercy supporters around here, I don't even know that I'd ever want a relationship between them actually given exposure in the game. I don't want any characters having their romantic lives involved in the game, unless there's good reason that it's relevant, because it's not relevant.

The most I'd want along these lines are maybe a wink-nod voice line, or sprays that could be used in cute ways by players if that's what they want. And if you want to have LGBT characters, awesome, but don't make that their MAIN identity in the game, and don't put "pride" stuff onto characters that have nothing to do with the gay/lesbian/trans/etc community.

Not everyone celebrates Halloween, Christmas or Chinese New year, but with a game featuring a diverse cast, wouldn't it be cool to feature diverse imagery and events? It doesn't mean you have to identify, but you can still appreciate the gesture.
I don't celebrate Halloween, but I can still appreciate references to classic monsters like Frankenstein, Dracula etc. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas or any other holiday, there's still some dope skins of a Yeti or nutcracker.

When I look at the suggested skins here, they just seem like... characters dressing up as people that have some sort of connection to LGBT? If I saw these in game I'd have no clue of their relevance and they're not really cool designs on their own (IMO). So from that perspective it does not appeal to me.

Absolutely zero interest in seeing this happen. I love the fact that one of the characters is gay, but Tracer's story happened where it should: outside of the game.

Sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, real-world country issues, those things and more should be kept out of the game, because they have no place. As one of the best-known Pharmercy supporters around here, I don't even know that I'd ever want a relationship between them actually given exposure in the game. I don't want any characters having their romantic lives involved in the game, unless there's good reason that it's relevant, because it's not relevant.

The most I'd want along these lines are maybe a wink-nod voice line, or sprays that could be used in cute ways by players if that's what they want. And if you want to have LGBT characters, awesome, but don't make that their MAIN identity in the game, and don't put "pride" stuff onto characters that have nothing to do with the gay/lesbian/trans/etc community.
What a silly argument.

Diversity is in overwatch's DNA. The entire development team has made a concerted effort to represent different races, backgrounds, even body types (Zarya and Mei in response to criticism). There is no reason to arbitrarily decide that LGBT diversity has no place in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Hipster Hanzo, as is, is gay enough for the gay community, if you know what I mean

wink.gif

Hagi

Kinda related but I really wish they'd do an 80's themed event. Have McCree look like George Michael circa Wham.

Speely

Banned
Rob Halford skin for Reaper.

YES goddamnit now I need this. A LOT.

OP this is a great idea. And fuck whatever Russia's reaction would be. If pop culture can be disruptive in ways that are conducive to human rights, they should imo. That's a way to actually affect some kind of positive change even as something like a silly (awesome) shooter. Avoiding it because intolerance suggests that it's impractical is just support for intolerance through inaction*.

*That is not to say that Blizzard not doing this would be supporting intolerance whatsoever... Merely that if how Russia received it is the only reason they wouldn't, that's a bit uglier. Blizzard has no responsibility to be a human rights champion here, but it would be really cool to see them take a harder stance.

Also, Overwatch should keep trying to raise the bar for inclusivity. They have done a decent but very safe job until now. The game has a very unique chance to step that up given its rock-solid popularity.

All just my opinions. Love the game as-is. I have just always wanted a high-profile game to do something like this.

Order

I love how people say they don't want sexuality present in their games yet no one says this when the relationships are heterosexual.

besada

Banned
Give me Winston in seventies short-shorts, a tank-top*, a Tom Selleck moustache, and Ray-Bans and I'm in.

[*reads "I Can't Even Think Straight"]

I love how people say they don't want sexuality present in their games yet no one says this when the relationships are heterosexual.
It's especially silly to say things like "it doesn't belong in the game" when literally everything else about the characters apparently does.

Being LGBT is incredibly formative. It shapes your life nearly as much as everything else you're born with and can't change. It changes the way people react and treat you.

I agree. This is the perfect example of getting carried away because one character happens to be gay.

But on the other hand, if there is Halloween and Christmas content in the game, I don't see why not have Gay Pride content as well. But if they do that then I want to see Black History content in February.

Top Bottom