• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

Death Stranding needs to go away for 2 to 3 years. Kojima is going to be at every damn show till it's out and people will be tired of it.

From Software will definitely be on Sony's stage.
Agreed with both statements.

Kojima should just skip this year and come back in 2018 with something more substantial.

Yeah. "Vaporware" was probably too harsh of a term. But I still doubt we will see anything regarding the games I mentioned.

This comment wasn't meant about their release schedule, but rather their E3 presentation. A lot of those games you are suggesting probably won't get any on screen presence asides from maybe a snipet in a montage. Hell Persona 5, Nioh and Gravity Rush 2 never got E3 presentation spotlight on them despite all being PS exclusive.

Yeah. I think its healthier to maintain these kinds of expectations (since if my low expectations are exceeded, then I consider the conference a huge success), because I couldn't believe Sony's E3 2016 because I thought there was no way they could top 2015.

I can understand this. It could give the impression that the games development is still in the early stages... but I love the Kojima "figure this thing out" metagame.

I belive the key of E3 2016 (and PSX 2016) conference wasn't the announcements but the pacing, If they sustain that type of show it'd be more than enough. I agree that there's probably not much to be shocked in terms of surprise announcements but as long as they keep a good pace of demos and trailers I'll be quite happy.

Past few Sony E3s:

2014:
- LBP3
- Bloodborne
- Ratchet & Clank
- Guns Up!
- inFamous: First Light
- No Man's Sky ( exclusivity )

2015:
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- The Last Guardian ( re-reveal )
- dreams
- RIGS
- Shenmue 3
- FF7 Remake ( timed exclusive )

2016:
- God of War
- Days Gone
- Death Stranding
- Farpoint
- Spiderman
- Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy ( exclusivity status ??? )

Honestly, by and large they've been pretty consistent YoY quantity-wise. The difference has been the scale of announcement & presentation of said reveals.

E.g. R&C's reveal in 2014 was terrible because it was just a logo reveal instead of a proper trailer.

Spaghetti

At the same time, it feels like they have also announced what could be considered vaporware. This usually isn't first party related, but rather third party related, as FF7 Remake, KH3 and Shenmue 3 are still in development and we don't know when we will see those again. Some first party stuff like Dreams or Death Stranding if you count it also don't seem to be materializing any time soon
One of these things is not like the others.

Hint: It's Shenmue III. We're not even at the two year anniversary of the Kickstarter being launched. Calling it vaporware is illogical, so I'm glad you stopped yourself short of saying that outright.

But don't be so sure about writing off the chances of it being at E3.

High-tier backers in Japan were told last September that they had confident plans to showcase at PSX 2016, which ultimately didn't happen for one reason or another. Here we are, nine months after them being told that, and around six months after PSX; with the chances of them getting cold feet again dramatically lowered.

Plans could always change again, but I would say it's secretly one of the safer bets for appearing based on this, personally.

Sony is getting ready to knock it out of the park. I'm most excited for TLOU 2 although I wouldn't mind if Shawn and team saved it for PSX. Oh and I'm absolutely dying to see Spider-Man gameplay.

kyser73

Right it made financial sense just like it makes financial sense for MS to chase the online shooter market and nothing else.

To me, and I guess this is me just being a naive Sony fan back in the day, i loved that they were investing in B games and B studios despite losing billions. Their games never sold particularly well. I remember Uncharted 1 selling 111k copies in its first month and only 650k lifetime. Infamous sold like 170k in its first month. LBP was around 250k. Ratchet FTOD was also under 100k and yet they sold relatively well over time and Sony understood the potential of the franchises to grow bigger and better.

To me, Evolution Studios never ever made a bad game. Even DC despite its online issues was a great fucking game. So when they go and shut down Evolution, Sony Liverpool, Sony Cambridge (GG Cambridge) and Zipper after finally posting profits I am like wait is the same company that had no problems funding these studios when they were losing billions? Maybe it's great business and IIRC Zipper was closed before the PS3 was revealed soon after Vita's launch so they never could've known that they would hit it this big with the PS4.

But GG and other studios were shutdown after posting record sales and making like a billion dollars a year just from PS+ subs. Again, it's great business and shutting these studios down maybe made them post profits but as a gamer, as a fan of those studios, as a guy who loved Sony for taking risks despite being in last place losing billions, i cant help but be disappointed to see the same company lose that drive to create first party games and acquire first party studios.

I remember the last thread on the Evo closure - possibly one speculating about Mm - and someone posted Evo's accounts for the last couple of years and they were haemorrhaging money. Same went for Liverpool - they had a 200 head staff count and were barely releasing anything.

Kaz took over to set Sony as a company right. You don't do that by continuing to fund loss-making studios, and that's also why they've moved away from buying studios to making finding & publishing deals. It removes loads of business overheads & reduces financial risk to Sony as a publisher.

Sony in business making great hardware & games is better than some weird 'Look at how much money we're losing! But we're artistically uncompromised!' approach.

sjay1994

One of these things is not like the others.

Hint: It's Shenmue III. We're not even at the two year anniversary of the Kickstarter being launched. Calling it vaporware is illogical, so I'm glad you stopped yourself short of saying that outright.

But don't be so sure about writing off the chances of it being at E3.

High-tier backers in Japan were told last September that they had confident plans to showcase at PSX 2016, which ultimately didn't happen for one reason or another. Here we are, nine months after them being told that, and around six months after PSX; with the chances of them getting cold feet again dramatically lowered.

Plans could always change again, but I would say it's secretly one of the safer bets for appearing based on this, personally.

As I said to someone else who expressed that using vaporware was unjust, yes you are right. It was probably too harsh of a term to use.

But that Backer information you've provided is reassuring.

Spaghetti

But that Backer information you've provided is reassuring.
There's more about what the backers in Japan saw last September out there that strengthens the idea we'll be seeing it sooner rather than later; but probably not in as public a forum as GAF so I'll be vague about it:

YSnet have had designs on showing a trailer since June last year, but may have wanted the presentational aspects of production to catch up before they release anything publicly.

They've been filtering out placeholder assets, probably began Japanese voice over recording earlier in the year, and have had job postings for a mo-cap director and cutscene artists out since October 2016. Connect those dots and it's easier to see how something could be on the horizon.

I'd be lying if I said I was 100% sure about it, but all things considered? The timing is right for a proper reveal of Shenmue III as a video game, rather than a Kickstarter campaign that would eventually become a video game.

Sony took out 3 UK devs this gen, is it just far too expensive to run UK studios compared to NA, Japan and Canada?

Japan has extensive labour and employment protection laws that make layoffs and shut downs difficult.

That, and given that SIE for the longest time was headquartered in Japan, there is the element where corporate leadership will protect & favour business units that are close-to-home.

As for NA, well... aside from Bend which we don't know the financials of, the NA group of WWS have all either been very profitable or maintained profitability for the longest time. ND games have only gotten more and more successful, San Diego and Sucker Punch are stable cash cows, and SSM, even with the layoffs are still a pillar studio for a successful franchise.

Do not worry... let the power of Bollywood Kaz compel you

kaz4.gif

LOL

ffvorax

Thx good their quiet, there are already too many games coming out lately... lol

But I think at E3 they will show something to care about.

Floody

Death Stranding needs to go away for 2 to 3 years. Kojima is going to be at every damn show till it's out and people will be tired of it.

From Software will definitely be on Sony's stage.

It's Kojima, people won't be tired of it, he has the Craziest fans on the planet. But I am hoping we get another crazy fan theory like the head transplant doctor one, and I think we'll only get to those levels of crazy if he goes radio silent for awhile, so I agree.

Theonik

...Aight if we are getting Bollywood Kaz gifs made in this thread, someone with talent want to tackle this?

This is a preview of things you have as material

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Who-ever tackles this. Please add shu and house or we on those too. The whole Sony Chorus concept is too much to miss.

Jumeira

Banned
I'm in Norway during E3, but I've warned the girlfriend I might go missing for a few hours for Sony. Don't think I can push it for the other conferences, though, or to browse GAF.

Still, I'm excited!

Lucky, I just got back and having withdrawal symptoms, amazing place and people.

Sorry to go off topic.

First E3 since 2009 where I don't expect to see The Last Guardian.

Another tradition comes to an end. I feel kinda hollow inside to be honest.

It's Kojima, people won't be tired of it, he has the Craziest fans on the planet. But I am hoping we get another crazy fan theory like the head transplant doctor one, and I think we'll only get to those levels of crazy if he goes radio silent for awhile, so I agree.

Best trailers as well. I don't mind one of those every year, gameplay or not.

Np, more bollywood on the way... Hopefully tonight when I get in.

Anyway in terms of structure I'm expecting the classic montages that Sony do, as for my earlier predictions I'm keeping my personal hype reasonable levels. Sony hits it out the park for me that way and I'm usually pleasantly surprised. Minus Wonderbook.

There's already theories that it's actually Silent Hills and he's still working with Konami

Top Bottom