• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: Aisle seats are the best seats on planes

RC

Banned
I'm 6'3, so always aisle. The ability to put one of my legs out into the aisle is a teh awesome.

Until the drink cart or another passenger bumps into your leg. But aside from that, yes I completely agree.

Also the exit row should only be for people over 6 feet tall.
Seeing someone a foot shorter than me stretching out in the exit row while I was up to my knees in the window seat was infuriating.

Xyber

While it is nice to have a window to look out from and a wall to lean up against, I can't sleep on planes and I have a small bladder so the aisle seat is better for me.

Deadly

Long flights? Definitely. On short flights (6 hours and below) I'd rather have the window seat just so I don't have to stand up for anyone.

ItIsOkBro

aisle seat game plan: rush off the plane, high tail it to customs and be the first out the airport. meanwhile these sorry asswindow seaters get stuck in every line. stuck in a line to deplane. stuck in a line for every stairs to customs. stuck in a line at customs.

Wag

I like the isle because I have more leg room. I just move my leg when someone walks by.

Daingurse

I hate the aisle. My arms get bumped constantly by everyone. I'm too damn tall for coach, but it's not like I can afford anything else. . .

Can confirm. Even better is business class aisle, so much free alcohol. I've lost silver medallion and the allure of free upgrades are gone.

traveler

Not Wario
Window seats are the best not because of the view, but because you can actually go to sleep without people bugging you to get up and go to the bathroom. If the flight is 5 hours or less, there's no way I'm going to have to go to the bathroom, so I'd prefer to just avoid the bother of having to get up constantly.

Never understood the rush to get off the plane. It's a marginal advantage at best. (Maybe 1 minute?)

I can sleep through anything even direct sunlight. So I'm good on the aisle seat.

You sleep when people literally ask you to get up so they can go to the bathroom?

Leaning on the window to sleep is like milk and honey for da gods and masters of air travel.

Although the beauty is that the love for aisle seats creates a balanced ecosystem for me.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Even better if it's one right behind the front seats.

You get to stretch so much for less money.

Aisle seats are the best yes.

Looking out the window on a plane is so overrated and once youve looked out the window of a plane once then youve experienced it enough cause its almost the same everytime. a bunch of clouds.

you can always tell who never traveled before when they post pictures looking out the window on FB.

DTJAAAAM

Disagree, the planes I usually fly on have less under-seat storage space in the aisles, and I hate having to get out of the way when someone needs to use the restroom.

Pros:

- You can get up and not have to ask other people to excuse you
- First one up and out when the flight lands, which also means first access to the bins
- Massively reduced claustrophobia
- Not as much social overhead with people
- Easy to flag down flight attendants

How is that pro since other people have to ask you to excuse them? Although if it's a short flight I agree, it's pretty awesome. On long flights where I'm trying to sleep, I'd rather not be in the aisle.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
When I was younger I used to think window seats are where it's at. I loved looking out the window and seeing the world.

Well, the world isn't doing it for me anymore, and I'm cranky and old. Aisle seats are now the way.

Pros:

- You can get up and not have to ask other people to excuse you
- First one up and out when the flight lands, which also means first access to the bins
- Massively reduced claustrophobia
- Not as much social overhead with people
- Easy to flag down flight attendants

Cons:

- Occasionally get bumped/crop-dusted on by people and carts going down the aisle
- Can't see shit out the windows

Surely everyone will be in 100% agreement with me on this.

I fly a lot (hundreds of hours a year) and will take the window seat every time, even on 12+ hour flights.

Once I'm there in my window seat, I never have to get up, nobody has to go past me, I have slightly more room because I can cheat towards the cabin wall as well as leaning any stuff I have against it. Noise cancelling headphones means nobody talks to me. I don't need the flight attendant because I have everything I need, and even if I didn't there is always the call button. When I'm sleeping I'm less likely to be woken up, such as when being on the aisle where people have zero spatial awareness as they move past and bump your shoulder or lean on the back of your seat (and even worse occasionally grab some of your hair on the back of your head as they do it). An being the first to stand up in the aisle at the end of the flight doesn't mean jack when you are only getting a 10 second headstart on the person sitting in the window anyway.

I would rather sit in the window seat with someone right next to me than choose an aisle seat with an empty seat next to me.

Window seat for life.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I fly a lot (hundreds of hours a year) and will take the window seat every time, even on 12+ hour flights.

Once I'm there in my window seat, I never have to get up, nobody has to go past me, I have slightly more room because I can cheat towards the cabin wall as well as leaning any stuff I have against it. Noise cancelling headphones means nobody talks to me. I don't need the flight attendant because I have everything I need, and even if I didn't there is always the call button. When I'm sleeping I'm less likely to be woken up, such as when being on the aisle where people have zero spatial awareness as they move past and bump your shoulder or lean on the back of your seat (and even worse occasionally grab some of your hair on the back of your head as they do it). An being the first to stand up in the aisle at the end of the flight doesn't mean jack when you are only getting a 10 second headstart on the person sitting in the window anyway.

I would rather sit in the window seat with someone right next to me than choose an aisle seat with an empty seat next to me.

Window seat for life.

This. Plus I almost always luck out and no one sits in the middle seat on domestic flights, meaning me and the aile seat person have all that middle space to put our stuff and stretch out a bit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I always seem to get stuck on those 1x2 setups on regional jets.

In those situations, I take the single seat every single time when I'm flying solo

phanphare

Banned
aisle seat on the way there, window on the way back for me

if I'm going on a vacation when I land I want to be able to stand up immediately and gtfo the plane. when I'm coming back home I don't care about that and would rather have a window seat to lean against, look out, etc.

aisle seat on the way there, window on the way back for me

if I'm going on a vacation when I land I want to be able to stand up immediately and gtfo the plane. when I'm coming back home I don't care about that and would rather have a window seat to lean against, look out, etc.
Does 10 seconds really make a difference or are you one of those people who shove their way to the front?

I used to go with the window as much as possible. but I've grown to prefer the aisle. I actually don't mind getting up for people, but I hate being the one to ask them - especially if they're sleeping. Isn't it good to get up occasionally anyway? I can also drink with impunity and not feel bad about it when I have to tinkle more often. As long as you're aware of the cart, it's all good.

I think it goes without saying that first/business class is best, but that's also generally over triple the price. So that's just not worth it. Long haul international, I'm sure it is. But that's like quadruple the price or more from what I've generally looked at. I've seen flights that are like $2,000 RT for two people turn into $10,000-$14,000 for business class. That's just not realistic.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Aisle > Window > Middle seat.

If anyone says they like the middle seat, they are weird.

Last time I went flying, I was sitting right next to main door both ways. Lots of room to stretch your legs and you get to be the first off the plane, only downside is waiting for everyone to move past you when boarding.

Sunster

I love aisle. it's just peace of mind for me because on a plane there's a roughly 25% I will get sick if the flight is longer than 5 hours. I need that bathroom access. middle seat is just a nightmare. forget about being comfortable unless you are 5' tall.

phanphare

Banned
Fair enough. You are saving less than a minute and that's assuming you haven't checked a bag in which you save no time at all.

it's all mental but yeah, aisle there window back. that's how I fly.

I also never check a bag if I can help it. the only exception is if I'm traveling with camping gear.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sorry but no, looking out the window and seeing the world from a birds eye view whilst moving 500+ mph is infinitely better than a little convenience.

Wheres that Louis CK clip when you need it <_<

The only plus to being in a plane is being able to look out the window.

I'm curious how being in an aisle seat helps with claustrophobia, it's the complete opposite for me.

Top Bottom