• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just if you decide to update haha. Hopefully they also can find out a method to skip an update for getting into the eShop or something like that lol

If you leave your 3DS connected, it can basically download automatically updates, so the only solution would be to turn it off forever XD

If you leave your 3DS connected, it can basically download automatically updates, so the only solution would be to turn it off forever XD
But it can't automatically install, right? (mainly due to the fact if you turned it off without noticing it updating or it ran out of power it could potentially brick).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dont want the 3DS to become the next destination for pirates world wide....but damn that region lock is killing me and my PAL 3DS. Last gen i used to be hyped for so many Famitsu announcements for the DS...but with the 3DS, its just isnt them same.

Ridley327

But it can't automatically install, right? (mainly due to the fact if you turned it off without noticing it updating or it ran out of power it could potentially brick).

That's right; you do have to initiate the install of the updates yourself.

I wonder how likely it is for them to pull off something like PSNfucker on the PSP to circumvent the firmware restrictions on the eShop.

watershed

Banned
I really hope piracy doesn't hit the 3ds like it did the ds. If you're a developer it sucks to see how many times your game has been illegally downloaded versus actual sales.

hopefully nintendo patch and block this exploit before it catches on with the masses, some of you may be salivating at the thought of region free but if it even brings a whiff of piracy to the system then these hackers should be ashamed

Sid

hopefully nintendo patch and block this exploit before it catches on with the masses, some of you may be salivating at the thought of region free but if it even brings a whiff of piracy to the system then these hackers should be ashamed
These hackers said they won't release anything so at least there's that.

Munin

So when somebody is run over with a car, you blame the car manufacturer?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The "poor 3DS" comments are hilarious.

Ok, thanks :) This will work up to the latest firmware now, but then we know that Nintendo has such system (games requiring firmware updates to work) in place at least.

So did PSP. (And ps3)
With kernel access, it won't mean anything for the most part.

M3d10n

Eh, I think they dropped enough hints for Nintendo to close the issue with an update before another group stumbles upon it. Something similar happened before, when people found out a DSi exploit involving the flash memory where wifi settings were stored: Nintendo closed that one with an update before the exploit was published.

Let's just hope Nintendo didn't leave encryption keys lying around the memory this time.

Does this:

mean it's also an eshop title or do they mean something else?

Means it's also on eShop, which narrows down the list significantly.

Also, if it requires a specific game it means you need to modify the game's save. AFAIK you need a DSLite for that.

test_account

XP-39C²
So did PSP. (And ps3)
With kernel access, it won't mean anything for the most part.
It probably depends on how it is being fixed. On PS3, if you upgrade past firmware 3.56, then you're out of luck if you dont downgrade to firmware 3.56 or lower again. On PSP, it is possible to block specific games from being used for exploiting.

Takao

Banned

Nintendo shouldn't have given people a legitimate reason to want this platform hacked, but greed got in the way.

RM8

I don't think 3DS being region free would have prevented the system from being hacked, though. Bleh, this blows if piracy on 3DS becomes a thing. At the very least we know Nintendo can force patches for people who want to play online (see Mario Kart), so I hope online remains hacker free.

Drago

jacknicholsonyes.gif

Region free ahoy! Hope we get some good emulators out of this too, and maybe even access to other region eShops. That would be lovely.

Dantis

Region lock sux but lets not kid ourselves and think people are only doing this because its not region free.

Kind of inclined to say that it's not my problem, unfortunately.

I know that I personally won't be pirating games, and I won't be supporting anybody who does.

On the other hand, making the 3DS region free would let me grab both Soul Hackers and SMT4 next year, so if someone makes that possible, I will be positively thrilled.

My 3DS is still running like 3 versions old or something. Just been too lazy to update the firmware.

Mine was, but I loaded up the eShop the other day like a plonker. I hope you don't need a previous version if someone releases region-free.

RM8

It's kind of everyone's problem if piracy becomes so bad that developers stop making games. Handhelds are struggling with developers right now without any piracy, it'd become much worse.

I know that I personally won't be pirating games, and I won't be supporting anybody who does.

On the other hand, making the 3DS region free would let me grab both Soul Hackers and SMT4 next year, so if someone makes that possible, I will be positively thrilled.

Mine was, but I loaded up the eShop the other day like a plonker. I hope you don't need a previous version if someone releases region-free.

Those are coming anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
OH FFFFFFFFF.

Really hope they manage to remove the region lock. That would be tremendous.

Well it's literally the only reason I don't own a 3DS at the moment. If we get a public region free crack going I'll go out and buy a purple one right then.

It's kind of everyone's problem if piracy becomes so bad that developers stop making games. Handhelds are struggling with developers right now without any piracy, it'd become much worse.

Tell that to the DS, which was trivial to pirate on but still a success by almost every measure.

liger05

I feel the same as I wouldnt be pirating games just find it funny how some people try and spin it and blame nintendo by saying "nintendo shouldnt of gave people a reason to hack" as if a region free console means no hackers. We all know that's absurd!!

ffdgh

Oh wow i didn't know they were lucky enough to get a kenerl explort o_O. I'm more interested in the beta content in games truthfully and the must have ost rips so I hope they show up soon
3AQmK.gif

Need that waluigi proof from mk7...and a always dark it code for kid icarus.

RM8

Tell that to the DS, which was trivial to pirate on but still a success by almost every measure.
Isn't DS the best selling gaming device ever, though? I'm also positive it was cheaper to develop for DS than for 3DS. Plus DS wasn't really competing against "smart"-gaming.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

What would developers who have to stop making games for handhelds due to piracy make games for? PC? iOS? 360? Android?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nintendo shouldn't have given people a legitimate reason to want this platform hacked, but greed got in the way.

But guys, Reggie's gonna get mad and Bill Trinen will cry and what about Non-Specific Action Figure :(((((

RM8

What would developers who have to stop making games for handhelds due to piracy make games for? PC? iOS? 360? Android?
I think guys like Capcom would simply focus on home consoles (which are not piracy free by any means, but their market hasn't been so affected by phones) and iOS where they can dump ancient ports that are very cheap to make, or "Volt" versions of their games.

Instro

Doesn't seem all that useful if its something that can easily be patched out. You'd have to never install updates, and you'd be shit out of luck with any game that comes with a system patch. I mean, how worthwhile is region free going to be if the games you import still try to force an update?

donny2112

Tell that to the DS, which was trivial to pirate on and saw huge YOY declines in software in 2009 and later (IIRC) that Ubisoft and just about everyone else attributed to piracy, especially in Europe.

Fixed. It's also the primary reason, in my mind, as to why DSi and 3DS were pushed out like they were. DSi as a testbed for firmware updates and 3DS as a big stopper of piracy on the handhelds.

Now DS's problem was that it was exceptionally easy by getting moms to buy those "100/1000 games on a cart" things using R4 and whatever else on DS/DSL. Any kind of actual technical know-how required to pirate would be much, much of a smaller problem for Nintendo and other publishers.

Top Bottom