• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Dantis

Doesn't seem all that useful if its something that can easily be patched out. You'd have to never install updates, and you'd be shit out of luck with any game that comes with a system patch. I mean, how worthwhile is region free going to be if the games you import still try to force an update?

What are the chances of an update being put on an Atlus game?

Probably quite low, I'd expect.

Nilaul

It's kind of everyone's problem if piracy becomes so bad that developers stop making games. Handhelds are struggling with developers right now without any piracy, it'd become much worse.

Andriod and Iphone are both humorously easy to pirate on.

A fail-proof way to stop piracy, hire the hackers;

A hidden message in the 3DS:

Congrats you hacked the 3DS. We would like to hire you, good working hours and very good pay. Please contact Nintendo for more details and mention the following code: 2210MarioJob

liger05

Fixed. It's also the primary reason, in my mind, as to why DSi and 3DS were pushed out like they were. DSi as a testbed for firmware updates and 3DS as a big stopper of piracy on the handhelds.

Now DS's problem was that it was exceptionally easy by getting moms to buy those "100/1000 games on a cart" things using R4 and whatever else on DS/DSL. Any kind of actual technical know-how required to pirate would be much, much of a smaller problem for Nintendo and other publishers.

Very true. When housewives knows what to do then that's something totally different.

Takao

Banned
I feel the same as I wouldnt be pirating games just find it funny how some people try and spin it and blame nintendo by saying "nintendo shouldnt of gave people a reason to hack" as if a region free console means no hackers. We all know that's absurd!!

It would've been hacked anyways, but the reactions would've been much different. You'd probably get a lot more people telling them to bugger off due to fear of piracy. Instead you have those of us cheering the hacks on. Personally, I wouldn't have cared if 3DS ever got hacked had it not been for the region lock.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It would've been hacked anyways, but the reactions would've been much different. You'd probably get a lot more people telling them to bugger off due to fear of piracy. Instead you have those of us cheering the hacks on. Personally, I wouldn't have cared if 3DS ever got hacked had it not been for the region lock.

Precisely. Region lock on a handheld remains the most insane thing Nintendo have ever done. Since the mass-market is never going to be informed enough to care and affect their bottom line over the issue, they should at least have to sweat some bullet-bills over heated hacking attempts and that resulting fallout. If region lock falls to our hacking overlords, then I can purchase the hardware without any qualms and import away those inevitable non-EU released gems (ATLUSSSSSSSSSSS).

Dantis

Right on the money.

The region lock was such a shitty move. I still don't really understand why they did it.

M3d10n

A DSlite?

Couldn't you use a PC to modify certain save data on the SD card? I'm not sure if all 3DS games use the SD card but some do.

Saves on the SD are encrypted using a key that is unique to each 3DS. Change one bit and the system will refuse to load them. The only known attack vector is the saves on 3DS cartridges, which cannot receive such protection since they need to work on different units.

Even then, I believe Nintendo has been changing how cartridge saves work since SM3DL and adding digital signatures to prevent tampering, so the vulnerable game is certainly older than that.

Don't their amazing libraries and developer revenues reflect that?

You cannot pirate in-game currency in F2P games, which are currently the top grossing games in both platforms.

Shahed

That0s why the PSP didn't got hacked, right?

There'll always be people who hack system for homebrew or piracy or anything else. But i don't care about that since I'm not one of them. No interest in emulating past platforms or running my own software/roms. I just want a way to play American games that won't release here

Dachande

The PSP existed and was popular at a time where small and affordable laptops/netbooks did not, and pre-iPhone smartphones that sucked were the norm. Hacking the PSP was in part encouraged because it was one of the better options for a portable media entertainment/emulation device and internet browser back then.

Of course piracy was a part of it, but homebrew was too as there was little else that had its potential back in 2005.

That isn't as much of a draw these days - although granted a 3DS would be easier to play emulated games on than a laptop and controller - but with region locking plus the terrible support from certain publishers in Europe (coughATLUScough)... fuck yeah, it's a legitimate reason.

Foffy

Banned
Best case scenario for me: unregion lock it, don't enable piracy. I really do *not* want to have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

The problem with this thinking is that in most cases, the same hooks to unravel the gate that has region locking are also connected to the main forms of software protection on the device. Any platform that has been hacked for region-free gaming has also taken that platforms entire security system with it.

Aeana

The main thing that generated early interest in PSP hacking was the fact that it was able to run unsigned code right out of the box with firmwares 1.0 and 1.5. Sonly closed it up fairly quickly, but people had already learned a lot by then.

Foffy

Banned
The main thing that generated early interest in PSP hacking was the fact that it was able to run unsigned code right out of the box with firmwares 1.0 and 1.5. Sonly closed it up fairly quickly, but people had already learned a lot by then.

Didn't hackers make progress not even two weeks after the system launched by having a Hello World message appear on the system?

@MUWANdo

Banned
There was another "legitimate" reason to hack the PSP back in the day, too--namely, being able to run UMDs from the memory stick. Goddamn, UMDs were and are such a terrible format.

Aeana

Didn't hackers make progress not even two weeks after the system launched by having a Hello World message appear on the system?

Yes, because as I said, the PSP could launch unsigned code without being modified. They didn't have to "hack" anything.

What are the odds of these guys releasing a region free loader? (And no details of their hack?)

or does the moment they release anything mean that other hackers can look at it and figure out the exploit?

EVOL 100%

Best case scenario for me: unregion lock it, don't enable piracy. I really do *not* want to have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

This is pretty much the best case scenario for everybody.

The guy in the chat said something about not releasing a warez loader, it'd be great if they find out a way to break down the region lock without enabling piracy. I'm not raising my hopes though.

Foffy

Banned

The guy in the chat said something about not releasing a warez loader, it'd be great if they find out a way to break down the region lock without enabling piracy. I'm not raising my hopes though.

The issue would be very similar to Wii Homebrew; some of the gates are down, but that allows hackers to get to the core, to tamper with even more. I'm quite sure these hackers won't be releasing ways to play 3DS ROMs, but I absolutely promise you someone will take any exploit and trace it so they can enable such things. It's what always happens when homebrew and hackings happen. When the region lock is broken, I'd give it maybe a month or so until someone finds a way to boot ROMs off of the 3DS.

squall23

Just because one person doesn't release a rom loader doesn't mean somebody else won't make one. Sure, it'll take more time, but there will be inevitably be one.

Dantis

It's quite simple. It's really about money.

But I don't see how. It seems to me the only difference would be that people who would import a game can't, and so spend the money elsewhere.

And surely the number of people who even do that is tiny.

EVOL 100%

But I don't see how. It seems to me the only difference would be that people who would iport a game can't, and so spend the money elsewhere.

Publishers most likely pressured them into doing it.

Gotta gouge those prices in Japan.

IrishNinja

I find it funny...and sad that this will be the thing that makes make GBA games playable finally.

which is incredibly dumb, given how much $ id like to throw at an amazing gen i mostly missed out on. ambassador games are still among my most played on this thing.

i guess i understood year 1 when you didn't want to scare off other devs or something, but there's regular GB games they haven't even trickled out yet, and no real indication on these happening. it's infuriating.

But I don't see how. It seems to me the only difference would be that people who would iport a game can't, and so spend the money elsewhere.

That is part of it. For example I'm very keen to play the new harvest moon game, but I am out of luck. I agree this would not be a whole lot of people.

However the bigger part for me is not buying games in Australia. A $60 US game is like $55 for us. We are asked to pay up to $110. There are a number of reasons for higher prices, but the money in my wallet cares little for them.

So it is all about money and imports are a growing problem in this regard because a whole lot of people in aus do it. Basically because you would be stupid not to.

But I don't see how. It seems to me the only difference would be that people who would import a game can't, and so spend the money elsewhere.

It would be much cheaper for japanese people to import from eu or us. And as we knoew Japan is Nintendos most important market for the 3DS. They would bleed money. It's not about western 3ds owner importing games from japan.

Dantis

It would be much cheaper for japanese people to import from eu or us. And as we knoew Japan is Nintendos most important market for the 3DS. They would bleed money. It's not about western 3ds owner importing games from japan.

But those games would be localised for the West.

This wasn't a problem for the DS, and isn't a problem for the PS3 and Vita.

In other words, this isn't a problem.

I do wonder if it genuinely is because they're Nintendo and they feel they have to stick to all the laws and whatnot. Countries like Germany get a lot of games banned, and this would circumvent those laws. Nintendo is far enough up its own ass that I can imagine them doing this to stop that.

muu

But those games would be localised for the West.

This wasn't a problem for the DS, and isn't a problem for the PS3 and Vita.

In other words, this isn't a problem.

I do wonder if it genuinely is because they're Nintendo and they feel they have to stick to all the laws and whatnot. Countries like Germany get a lot of games banned, and this would circumvent those laws. Nintendo is far enough up its own ass that I can imagine them doing this to stop that.

Mario is selling for 4800Y = ~$60 in Japan. It is $40 in the US. It is also an evergreen title that sells nearly retail price years after release. There's minimal localization, since the story isn't what drives people to buy these games. Please tell me how potentially losing $20 per sale isn't a problem.

I've said this before (may be even this thread), but if people cared enough about the import titles as they claim to in these types of threads they'd have already purchased the alternate-region consoles to play the games.

duckroll

Honestly, I don't think the 3DS being region locked has much to do with laws or whatever. It probably just has to do with online capabilities and how rigid and backwards Nintendo's general decision making process is. Previously Nintendo portables were all region free because as portables there was no reason for Nintendo to bother implementing a region setting on the hardware.

That changed with the DSi, not the 3DS. When they added an eShop, they felt they had to set a hardware region as well, to streamline the access of the shop to the region the hardware is purchased in. Less options for the consumer = less possibility for confusion and "mistakes". That's the Nintendo way. Since they finally set a hardware region for the DSi, they decided to also use that on games. All DSi-enhanced games were hence region locked on DSi hardware.

The 3DS just continues with that tradition because once Nintendo does something, they just stick with it, since they know best and they don't care about customer feedback at all. It's basically the entire story of Nintendo's hardware business since day 1.

Sillverrr

As long as Europe keeps on being screwed over in terms of titles being released late (e.g. Fire Emblem, two months after the US), or not at all (numerous games Atlus have published in the US), then I quietly think this is justice being served. There again, this would open the door to piracy as well.

Dammit, why can't Nintendo just do away with the region lock in the first place!? Would solve all of our problems.

Dantis

Mario is selling for 4800Y = ~$60 in Japan. It is $40 in the US. It is also an evergreen title that sells nearly retail price years after release. There's minimal localization, since the story isn't what drives people to buy these games. Please tell me how potentially losing $20 per sale isn't a problem.

For the same reason that NSMB sold a bazillion copies, despite being region free? It doesn't matter if there's not much localisation, only a very small number of people will purchase a game they can't understand for the sake of $20. Also, it's 3,600 yen. Which is around $40 anyway.

I've said this before (may be even this thread), but if people cared enough about the import titles as they claim to in these types of threads they'd have already purchased the alternate-region consoles to play the games.

Don't need to. It's been hacked.

Honestly, I don't think the 3DS being region locked has much to do with laws or whatever. It probably just has to do with online capabilities and how rigid and backwards Nintendo's general decision making process is. Previously Nintendo portables were all region free because as portables there was no reason for Nintendo to bother implementing a region setting on the hardware.

That changed with the DSi, not the 3DS. When they added an eShop, they felt they had to set a hardware region as well, to streamline the access of the shop to the region the hardware is purchased in. Less options for the consumer = less possibility for confusion and "mistakes". That's the Nintendo way. Since they finally set a hardware region for the DSi, they decided to also use that on games. All DSi-enhanced games were hence region locked on DSi hardware.

The 3DS just continues with that tradition because once Nintendo does something, they just stick with it, since they know best and they don't care about customer feedback at all. It's basically the entire story of Nintendo's hardware business since day 1.

This is probably true.

Man, I really, really hope we get kill the region lock.

For the same reason that NSMB sold a bazillion copies, despite being region free? It doesn't matter if there's not much localisation, only a very small number of people will purchase a game they can't understand for the sake of $20.

Put Japan aside. For an English copy of mario, would you buy it from the website where it is $70 or the website where it is $35?

You would want to buy it from the $35 site, even if it takes an extra week to arrive. Nintendo want you paying $70.

Hence region locking.

Boney

Banned
Why was P4A region locked? I always assumed it was to benefit it's europe publishing.
Retail channels and publishers are my guess as for region locks

Put Japan aside. For an English copy of mario, would you buy it from the website where it is $70 or the website where it is $35?

You would want to buy it from the $35 site, even if it takes an extra week to arrive. Nintendo want you paying $70.

Hence region locking.
Factor in international shipping costs, and the difference in price wouldn't be enough to bother with the hassle. And if I wanted it cheap that badly, there are plenty of used copies to be had.

Dantis

Why was P4A region locked? I always assumed it was to benefit it's europe publishing.

Because Atlus didn't like their strong fan-driven reputation. >_>

But seriously, it was because of reverse-importation. The US and JP versions both had Japanese text and voiceovers, so they were afraid that everyone in Japan would import it from the US.

Joke's on them though, because nobody bought it from the US.

Factor in international shipping costs, and the difference in price wouldn't be enough to bother with the hassle. And if I wanted it cheap that badly, there are plenty of used copies to be had.

Mate shipping cost is generally nothing. Sure there are bargains or second hand games to be had eventually, but personally I like to pay half and then sell/trade it in.

Certainly worth the hassle to me and a lot of other people. Even some of the bigger retail stores in Australia have given up and have an 'imported games' section. For example Mass Effect 3 was available in store, as an import for much cheaper at release.

It is an issue.

duckroll

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008DRISW4/

NSMB2 is selling on Amazon Japan for 3,872yen which is about 45 USD. It also has free shipping in Japan. Please tell me why anyone in Japan who would actually buy games online (you would have to if you want to import) would want to get it for 40 bucks from the US.

I really want to know where these 60 buck and 70 buck estimates are coming from. It's like people here don't even know what buying games in Japan is REALLY like. :p

Dantis

NSMB2 is selling on Amazon Japan for 3,872yen which is about 45 USD. It also has free shipping in Japan. Please tell me why anyone in Japan who would actually buy games online (you would have to if you want to import) would want to get it for 40 bucks from the US.

I really want to know where these 60 buck and 70 buck estimates are coming from. It's like people here don't even know what buying games in Japan is REALLY like. :p

I think they're just going off the RRP, which is what naughty importers like Play Asia and YesAsia use.

What is "Good"? And what did they have coming to them?

Is this one of those "Lol Nintendo u so dumb 4 region lok u deserve piracy on ur system so it failzzzzzz XDXD" posts?

It's good that the region lock can be removed. How is that not good?

duckroll

What is "Good"? And what did they have coming to them?

Is this one of those "Lol Nintendo u so dumb 4 region lok u deserve piracy on ur system so it failzzzzzz XDXD" posts?

If the 3DS is hacked and I can play games from other regions on my 3DS, it is good for me. If Nintendo doesn't like it, they can suck it up.

I think they're just going off the RRP, which is what naughty importers like Play Asia and YesAsia use.

Yeah but that's a faulty logic to use when talking about reverse import being a problem in Japan. Certainly it can be a problem for -certain- titles, but it's really not remotely as big a problem as some people seem to think it is. In the overall scheme of things, it is negligible to the first party.

For the same reason I mentioned a few posts before. To not slaughter the japanese sales, because of people importing from US. P4A has its japanese translation in the US version btw.

Eusis

We see those prices FF and DQ games launch at and go wow.

Same for Falcom games actually, didn't the latest Kiseki go for $70 or higher? Guess it must be an RPG thing period.

EDIT: Taking a look it was probably closer to $65 and would've been $60 if the exchange rate didn't tip in favor of the yen as extremely as it did, and most of these games have about 1000+ yen discounts for pre-ordering. It still has an edge over us though and kinda highlights how bad it is when people bitch about handheld prices, even if it's not THAT extreme within Japan itself.

Scavenger

But seriously, it was because of reverse-importation. The US and JP versions both had Japanese text and voiceovers, so they were afraid that everyone in Japan would import it from the US.
And yet Japanese people could import the Asian version which is about as cheap (Maybe even cheaper) as the US version and works perfectly fine on a Japanese PS3.

Top Bottom