• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
So, why are people mad Hillary decided to talk recently..? Like, are you that bothered by what people do?

I like her, I'm not bothered that she's doing it. I just want to see the party succeed, and I don't think this helps.

I don't think its a big deal either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's particularly helpful to diagnose "this thread" as a whole entity.

I don't know. I do think this specific thread has a problem with it. I can have perfectly reasonable conversations with many posters here in other threads, but there's a "culture" to this thread - like there is any other long-running community thread - that encourages certain sorts of posting and certain norms of conversation. It seems plausible to me that it's the effect of PoliGAF as a community rather than any individual member of PoliGAF - at least I hope so.

The trouble is, the informative value is pretty limited. It's a local race that has received national level attention - byelections are usually poor predictors of national elections (Mensch's successor was thrashed by Labour in 2012, only to win the seat back in the subsequent general election, as a topical example). I hope Ossoff wins, but the main value in his win will be just in the fact of the win itself (and the narrative effect), rather than holding much significant predictive value.

This isn't true at all. How a party performs in special elections absolutely is indicative of how well they will do in the next election.

edit: please do not ever use UK elections as an example of what you think will happen in the U.S. even if our electoral systems are more similar than a lot of other countries, it does not mean it is a useful example.

Allard

No, but seriously. This thread has a horrible tendency to always take any perspective not of their own at the absolute worst level it can be possibly be framed as - to the point of outright ignoring what's been written. It's really tedious. As an example: I care about women's rights. The Democratic Party is the party best placed to further women's rights. I want the Democratic Party to do as well as possible. If Clinton were to appear regularly, the Democratic Party would do worse. Ergo, because I care about women's rights, it would be better if Clinton did not appear regularly.

Now, you could take this argument in good faith. We could have a fairly good discussion about how Clinton can be most effective. For example, she has a lot of influence over Democratic donors. Her future might be in silently working behind the scenes to ensure the financial viability of Gillibrand as a candidate. Or you could just deny my point entirely - maybe over time, so many people will come to hate Trump, Clinton will come to be seen as unfairly maligned, and her approval ratings will soar as 'the best President who never was' (see: Al Gore), and she'll be hugely influential over the public narrative in a positive way in the future.

But what dramatis does is to just ignore my stated motivations. Because I disagree with dramatis, I can't possibly care about women's rights. I must be sexist. There is no other possible explanation for my argument. It's just tedious, and illustrates a large part of the problem with certain parts of the Democratic party - they have all the empathetic ability of a spoon. I don't mind engaging in bitching, it's water off a duck's back at this point and I'll give as good as I get. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it somewhat fun - you can't take stuff like that seriously, it would just be depressing if I were to take the intended ill will to heart.

But there's some actual interesting conversations to have. Why do you have to waste your time making posts like your last one? I'm watching a full-grown human adult person throw a tantrum on the internet.

This is me just watching some of the language going on between people, but part of the problem and one that was sidelined not once but twice while she was running (2008 and 2016) is that she *Shock* has people that actually like her and want to see her continue her work even if its not as a politician. She has lived as a civil servant her whole life and to just ask her to go away and never come back because optically you find her a deterrent is as much an insult to Hilary's history as it is to a lot of people who did and continue to support her work. Let her do what she feels is right, she has already said she is not running anymore so let her act as a voice for those who still support her, its one voice and if you can't see beyond that then we got a lot more problems for Dem future then her sticking her nose into the picture. Take a look at Jimmy Carter, of past presidential candidates, or former civil servants, half the people are known more for what they do after they run or finish office as they are for what they did or didn't accomplish while running. She can still have a place even if not as a politician running for office, to sideline her in the face of every other person who has lost and not vanished is in fact showing a double standard and it should be called upon.

You can't believe poll numbers anymore, apparently. Sneaky people who like Trump and Trump supporters love staying silent or saying "don't know" on poll questions and then will vote for them

The polling error on a national level in 2016 was not particularly large. Certain states had large polling errors, but the evidence of any large scale effort by Trump supporters to bias polls, or of a general "shy Trump supporter" effect, isn't that great. Certainly not enough to say that you can't believe poll numbers anymore.

tbm24

An Inconvenient Truth came out over five years after the 2000 election. Kerry didn't become SoS until eight years after 2004. Why is it so controversial to say that right now both liberals and leftists are both highly motivated and Clinton isn't helping any of that?
Would like to just say this is bullshit. Likely addressed already but I can't let it go. This is pure bullshit fueled by nothing else than ignorance. And leftist or Liberal who chooses to be slightest because Clinton spoke a word is useless. Like it or not she inspires people. My wife doesn't consume politics in the level that I do, but the Clinton speech today fired her right up. Got her talking and engaged. People like this exist, she's not going to go away and shouldn't.

PBY

Banned
Would like to just say this is bullshit. Likely addressed already but I can't let it go. This is pure bullshit fueled by nothing else than ignorance. And leftist or Liberal who chooses to be slightest because Clinton spoke a word is useless. Like it or not she inspires people. My wife doesn't consume politics in the level that I do, but the Clinton speech today fired her right up. Got her talking and engaged. People like this exist, she's not going to go away and shouldn't.

She inspires people, but she also alienates people and is widely hated. That cannot be the face of your party, nor a national mouthpiece for it (not saying she is - I did react too strongly to one interview).

I think its good that Bernie says Ossof isnt progressive enough because people from South feel like progressivisim is of the devil.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't true at all. How a party performs in special elections absolutely is indicative of how well they will do in the next election.

It's limited. A party that wins a special election in a given district has about a 66% chance to hold that in a subsequent general election (Smith & Brunell, 2010). That's not nothing... but it certainly isn't enough to merit an especially strong conclusion about what 2020 will look like, especially because at least part of the causal link is going to be the incumbency effect of that person then defending that seat rather than fighting for it, which obviously doesn't apply to any seats not won in special elections to that point.

I'm not saying 'don't celebrate'. I'm saying 'don't get overconfident'.

I cited Mensch simply because it was a fun reference to something mentioned in this thread in those heady days when we briefly entertained the idea of having a sense of humour. There are certainly America-specific examples. A more America specific version might be this one, from November 2009, which was cited as a referendum on Obama, and where the Democrats ousted the Republicans. We all know what happened in 2010.

sangreal

iirc some replies that expressed concern that outgoing Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen would fall in line with GOP and vote yes on the new AHCA. She's expressed adamantly she's not going to do so.

https://twitter.com/RosLehtinen/status/859525054828359680

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/859516381171265536

Speaking of outgoing congressmen

*Price (R), GA resigned 02/10/2017 to be Health and Human Services secretary

*Mulvaney (R), SC resigned 02/16/2017 to be OMB director

*Zinke (R), MT resigned 03/01/2017 to be Interior secretary

I know about Georgia, but when will the other 2 be replaced? Seems important given the razor thin margins around the AHCA

Holmes

I think its good that Bernie says Ossof isnt progressive enough because people from South feel like progressivisim is of the devil.
Controversial statement: Southerners don't hate progressivism, but hate the fact that it, in their minds, just helps black people and is pushed by the pro-black party. It's why Santorum didn't want to help blah people.

Allard

Speaking of outgoing congressmen

*Price (R), GA resigned 02/10/2017 to be Health and Human Services secretary

*Mulvaney (R), SC resigned 02/16/2017 to be OMB director

*Zinke (R), MT resigned 03/01/2017 to be Interior secretary

I know about Georgia, but when will the other 2 be replaced? Seems important given the razor thin margins around the AHCA

Mulvaney special election is June 20th, May 25th I believe for the Montana one.

no surprises really, except that bannon calls the estate tax the estate tax in private and not the death tax

it was already reported he has a list of trump's campaign promises on his whiteboard. Frankly, I bet he wants you to see how many he checked off -- true or not

Probably true.

tuxfool

Banned
How is it an accident.

C-2oqKqWsAAjMiL.jpg

more fuel to the fire.

pigeon

Banned
I don't fully agree with Crab's post, but I do agree that there's a frustrating tendency in political discussions to argue people's hypothetical motivations or their character rather than to debate the point that's actually being offered.

I definitely don't think it's exclusive to PoliGAF. It happened to me plenty of times in OT last year during the eternal primary. I suspect Crab is just noticing it more in PoliGAF because PoliGAF has a stronger concentration of core Democrats, and he tends to disagree with core Democrats constantly, so this is a place he's more subject to it.

That said, I think people are generally just pretty angry about the fact that Nazis are trying to take over America and that leads them to make angry comments. This is bad but also understandable and mitigatable. Bonen gets fewer accusations about his positions, for example, because Bonen makes more effort to establish his bona fides in potentially controversial posts.

Вы поймали меня, товарищ.

Луиза посылает привет.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That said, I think people are generally just pretty angry about the fact that Nazis are trying to take over America and that leads them to make angry comments. This is bad but also understandable and mitigatable. Bonen gets fewer accusations about his positions, for example, because Bonen makes more effort to establish his bona fides in potentially controversial posts.

His avatar is also a Nidoran, which is to this day one of the best Pokemon and understandably puts people into a positive frame of mind. Imagine where this thread would be if it was Garbodor.

pigeon

Banned
I dunno, seems to have worked as intended for Trump.

Not...really? He remains staggeringly unpopular and can't get anybody in Washington to do anything he wants unless they already wanted to do it (ICE and terrorizing people of color)?

The evidence of Trump's win is not that bad media is good. It's that the cabbage story is true -- anybody the Republican party nominates, no matter what, has at least a small chance of winning just on party loyalty. Trump is probably WORSE than a cabbage and he won!

That's why it's so important for parties to enforce their boundaries, and why the Republican Party establishment failed in its fundamental duty to the American people by refusing to oppose Trump, which is why they must be removed from public life.

His avatar is also a Nidoran, which is to this day one of the best Pokemon and understandably puts people into a positive frame of mind. Imagine where this thread would be if it was Garbodor.

it's not a Nidoran. is that what they call that pokemon in Russia?

we're onto you.

pigeon

Banned

I don't think it's this because I don't know anything about Pokemon and I think crabs are cute. Who doesn't like sideways walking?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I dunno, seems to have worked as intended for Trump.

Bad press is likely worse for some than for others. Also, I don't think his press was as consistently critical of him as it could have been, or as it was for Hillary.

Lo-Volt

Reporters ask Rep. Issa his position on the revised healthcare bill. "I'm in one of the most marginal Republican districts in the House with only 50.3 percent of the vote in the 2016 election, and I don't want to lose my job yet," he says.

That's what he's really saying. Issa isnt one of the cleanest Republicans around in the first place, and happens to hold the kind of districts that could sour on the president more easily than most. He held his California seat by 1,200 votes. Bless his heart.

kirblar

That's what he's really saying. Issa isnt one of the cleanest Republicans around in the first place, and happens to hold the kind of districts that could sour on the president more easily than most. Bless his heart.
He represents the most dangerous GOP-held district in the country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Looking closely it's actually an Espeon.

My opinion of Bonen has decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom