• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Non-issue"?

Maybe there will be an app you can download later this year that turns your smartphone into a more reliable left joy-con.

BiggNife

I hope this gets sorted out but there's really no way to know if this is hardware or software right now so people saying "stop freaking out, it'll be fixed day 1" don't really have any way of knowing that

vypek

Its interesting that it only affects the left joycon. Really curious what the cause is. Maybe customers will have a day 1 firmware patch waiting for them to resolve this. Or at least hopefully.

jholmes

The Pro controller isn't going to do much for those playing 1 2 Switch or Just Dance.

But yo, you can still play Just Dance on Switch with your phone. No need to panic!

There is a day one update coming. If it fixes this or not, god knows.

The Wii U OS crashed? I remember it being slow as fuck until like the third update or so, but I never had a crash.

Constantly. Like, fucking constantly. It made this distinct buzzing noise like a vevuzela. It would do it at most any time during any game but I couldn't even play the Nintendo Land F-Zero game properly until the first firmware update.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Few details and no Nintendo answer yet

Well, that's the big thing. Nintendo should come out with a good response to this ASAP. Ideally they could roll out an update before launch, and let press confirm the problem's gone. More immediately though, they need to make a statement on it, the nature of the problem, and their plan to fix.

cyba89

Even if this gets fixed with a Day1 update it's still pretty shit quality control by Nintendo. The very basic functions (the controllers) of a console should work flawlessly without a need for a patch.

Does it though?

I wonder if some people actually had a Wii U at launch and saw how long it took to get that OS to stop crashing.

I have a WiiU since Day1 and never experienced the OS crashing.

jts

...hate me...
Left only strongly implies software issue
Eh, I don't know. Take into account that left and right are designed differently so a hardware issue on one wouldn't affect the other.

I'm just saying to remain optimistically cautious.
is the left joy-con the one with the Amiibo functionality built in?
No, that's the right one. Same for the laser camera thingy.

Mikey Jr.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a significant amount of people who will never connect online.

If this can be fixed with a patch.

I think the one preview that mentions inconsistent input delay is an isolated issue. My Wii remotes and pro controllers do this because of wireless interference sometimes.

The desyncing issue, to me, sounds like something software related on the Switch's end. Just a guess though.

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a hardware problem. That will be a huge blow. What is the difference between left and right Joycon?

PSFan

Are the affected left joycons grey or neon? Just wondering if it could just be with a particular color of joycon. Are the press units grey or neon or mixof both?

cheezcake

Eh, I don't know. Take into account that left and right are designed differently so a hardware issue on one wouldn't affect the other.

The design in them will be 95% common if the engineering team is half competent. The wireless components will clearly be using the same chip and micro so the only possible hardware issue would be a SIGNIFICANT pcb or antenna design flaw. And I would hope that would be unlikely for a company as big as Nintendo.

Coxy100

Banned
I understand the actual Switch itself charges whilst in the dock... but how do the joy con controllers charge? I think I read they charge when they are on the dock too - but surely you will be using them at that point to actually play so they won't be on the Dock... ?

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the JoyCons aren't being supplied power when in the JoyCon Grip?

The JoyCon Grip doesn't have a battery and won't recharge the attached controllers.

Also were these desyncs just with the JoyCon Grips or did it happen when the JoyCons were used for 1-2 Switch?

maxcriden

Since I'll be importing mine, this is doubly concerning to me, if there is a hardware recall I'd be screwed.

That would be really annoying to handle, hoping for you it doesn't happen. I imagine there would be a GAFer in Japan who could help you out (receiving it and sending it to NCL), though, if it came to it.

I understand the actual Switch itself charges whilst in the dock... but how do the joy con controllers charge? I think I read they charge when they are on the dock too - but surely you will be using them at that point to actually play so they won't be on the Dock... ?

They charge via the rails system: when attached to the Switch tablet or attached to a JoyCon Charging grip.

The JoyCons will pull power when attached to the Switch in handheld mode or when attached to the Switch when in docked TV Mode.

Vitacat

Meh.

Nintendo will fix this, one way or the other. Then we'll all just laugh about joycongate in the future. Nothing to panic over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This suggests two things
1) when attached to the main unit, the joycons may communicate as wired controllers if the sync issues aren't seen
2) if only the left one is having issues, then maybe they work a little like the wiimote/nunchuck with one joycon as a master and the other as slave?

That would be really annoying to handle, hoping for you it doesn't happen. I imagine there would be a GAFer in Japan who could help you out (receiving it and sending it to NCL), though, if it came to it.

Would still cost a lot with international shipping fees back and forth :\

Sending out a light weight package with tracking is $50 if not more... maybe Amazon would pay for it though.

foltzie1

This suggests two things
1) when attached to the main unit, the joycons may communicate as wired controllers if the sync issues aren't seen
2) if only the left one is having issues, then maybe they work a little like the wiimote/nunchuck with one joycon as a master and the other as slave?

#2 isn't unheard of, its how most wireless earbuds work, but that seems odd given that you are supposed to be able to use the Joy-Cons independently.

Top Bottom