• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlanta Falcons Stadium Design that may be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I guess I shouldn't rain on other people's parade, but I hate when they show all of this other random shit you can do. Hawks doing the same thing with Top Golf and the Barber shop.

For what tickets cost to go to a home game for the NFL these days you're damn sure I'm gonna be in my seat watching vs doing all of this other bs.

spyder_ur

Everything about this has been a boondoggle from the start - the hideous design, obviously the construction process, and the pricetag, especially to the public.

Given the issues, I think there's a reason they've delayed the implosion of the Georgia Dome. I expect to see more delays, honestly.

Megatron's Butthole to Remain Clenched

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So it's just the roof? Meh.

Would've been cool for it to be open during the Bama/FSU game, but, meh.

SEC announced a long time ago that the roof would be closed. Regardless of if it was finished or not. They said they want "optimal conditions" and opening the roof would be a variable they would rather not have. The GT/Tennessee game will have the roof closed as well. If you track all of the retractable roof football stadiums and how often they are actually open, you would wonder why they keep spending the $$$ to build them. Most coaches want it closed and they get their way. Baseball stadiums use their roofs alot, football teams seem to want it closed 90% of the time.

I walked by the stadium over the weekend. Saw an army of workers inside getting the stadium ready. It is a sight to behold. Really unique and futuristic. It is like no other stadium I have seen before. I like it. Can't wait to go to a game there.

Owensboro

So, I may inadvertently know why they've been having so much trouble with the roof. I ended up on a non-related facility tour with an engineer working on part of the stadium who said they discovered late in the process that if the roof system looses power at specific points when opening/closing and completely ceases moving, structural stability goes out the window and the panels could collapse into the building. They've been having to install a dedicated backup system just for the motorized roof and make almost everything redundant (motors, power paths, etc...).

When he told me this I seriously just looked at him in disbelief and said "Oh god, can you imagine if they had a power outage like New Orleans did during the Superbowl and the damn roof just collapsed inwards? Christ."

SEC announced a long time ago that the roof would be closed. Regardless of if it was finished or not. They said they want "optimal conditions" and opening the roof would be a variable they would rather not have. The GT/Tennessee game will have the roof closed as well. If you track all of the retractable roof football stadiums and how often they are actually open, you would wonder why they keep spending the $$$ to build them. Most coaches want it closed and they get their way. Baseball stadiums use their roofs alot, football teams seem to want it closed 90% of the time.

I walked by the stadium over the weekend. Saw an army of workers inside getting the stadium ready. It is a sight to behold. Really unique and futuristic. It is like no other stadium I have seen before. I like it. Can't wait to go to a game there.

It really does look cool as shit. I imagine seeing all the workers there now feels like being in Wakanda or sum shit lmao.

I'm gonna have to enjoy the season opener and Bama/FSU from my couch at home (should still be pretty damn fun), but man, I wish I was going to one of those games.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So, I may inadvertently know why they've been having so much trouble with the roof. I ended up on a non-related facility tour with an engineer working on part of the stadium who said they discovered late in the process that if the roof system looses power at specific points when opening/closing and completely ceases moving, structural stability goes out the window and the panels could collapse into the building. They've been having to install a dedicated backup system just for the motorized roof and make almost everything redundant (motors, power paths, etc...).

When he told me this I seriously just looked at him in disbelief and said "Oh god, can you imagine if they had a power outage like New Orleans did during the Superbowl and the damn roof just collapsed inwards? Christ."

It is definitely an engineering challenge when trying to do something that has never been done. Learning costs time and money, but when it is done, it is going to be sweet.

It really does look cool as shit. I imagine seeing all the workers there now feels like being in Wakanda or sum shit lmao.

I'm gonna have to enjoy the season opener and Bama/FSU from my couch at home (should still be pretty damn fun), but man, I wish I was going to one of those games.

I was going to try to get into Tennessee/GT but those tickets aren't exactly cheap for areas where you aren't helping close the roof.

That's terrifying. Honestly the fact that that the roof is made up of individual pieces has made me nervous since the thing was announced.

And I have no knowledge in this area, but how the fuck do you "discover" that losing power could cause structural instability? How is that not accounted for during the design process?

And what if the backup fails?

Owensboro

That's terrifying. Honestly the fact that that the roof is made up of individual pieces has made me nervous since the thing was announced.

And I have no knowledge in this area, but how the fuck do you "discover" that losing power could cause structural instability? How is that not accounted for during the design process?

And what if the backup fails?

When it's a new design, and no one has ever done anything on the same scale before, things like this crop up all the time. Seriously, all the time.

My guess is they're going fully redundant. Not only will every piece have a fully functional and hooked up backup part, everything is probably on battery backup that can run the whole roof for hours. If they're smart, they're erring on the side of caution and shooting for "5 9's" of reliability (99.999% uptime). Basically, the only thing that could break it all is an act of god.

DCYC4eyUQAEasI_.jpg:small

that is a dope statue

PillarEN

Wait, so the roof is going to stay shut forever? Or is that something that will be a work in progress to make it an open/close roof in the offseason?
It's not going to be able to open/close right away because it hasn't been fully mechanized. They can do it manually but it takes a couple of days. When it's fully functional, it will be able to open/close in around 10 minutes. They did confirm yesterday that it would be operational for the season, just not right away.

Gotcha. Cool.

Ronin

Wait, so the roof is going to stay shut forever? Or is that something that will be a work in progress to make it an open/close roof in the offseason?
It's not going to be able to open/close right away because it hasn't been fully mechanized. They can do it manually but it takes a couple of days. When it's fully functional, it will be able to open/close in around 10 minutes. They did confirm yesterday that it would be operational for the season, just not right away.

I mean it's design is something that hasn't been attempted before so I'm not really surprised at the situation.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I mean it's design is something that hasn't been attempted before so I'm not really surprised at the situation.

The OG due date was March FYI.

So it's not like they aren't already into OT. :p

These new NFL stadiums are dope as fuck. The new Vikings, Cowboys and now this are cool AF stadiums. But they better be for more than $1 billion...

Makes me wonder why the new Meadowlands stadium cost to much. Looks nothing special really and isnt fancy at all.

jmdajr

These new NFL stadiums are dope as fuck. The new Vikings, Cowboys and now this are cool AF stadiums. But they better be for more than $1 billion...

Makes me wonder why the new Meadowlands stadium cost to much. Looks nothing special really and isnt fancy at all.

Property taxes? Land value?

Dyle

Looks nice, but I'm not sold by how they have the jumbotrons set up around the rim of the roof. It might just be the photos, but it looks like you'd have to look uncomfortably high to see anything on it. and since it exists in lieu of more standard screens at the far ends of the stadium, you don't really have any other options. In that way I think the Cowboys stadium might still have this beat in terms of being an easy to use stupidly expensive taxpayer funded monstrosity
Is that an egg in its claws?

It's a football, goofball!

Looks nice, but I'm not sold by how they have the jumbotrons set up around the rim of the roof. It might just be the photos, but it looks like you'd have to look uncomfortably high to see anything on it. and since it exists in lieu of more standard screens at the far ends of the stadium, you don't really have any other options. In that way I think the Cowboys stadium might still have this beat in terms of being an easy to use stupidly expensive taxpayer funded monstrosity

It's a football, goofball!

http://atlutd.io-media.com/web/index.html#

Check out the stadium viewer and pick a bottom row seat. That screen is huge and far enough away from you. It's not bad at all.

So the halo board looks nice and all, but the only view I've seen of it is from the field or the lower bowl. I guess second level can see it but I wonder what it would be like from the upper level. Maybe it's just a matter of prospective but it doesn't look like a workable viewing angle from up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom