• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaikai teasing a big E3 announcement

Pandemic

How fast of a download speed would you need in order to stream a game?

I have a feeling Australians will struggle to use this service with our limited internet.. :p

How fast of a download speed would you need in order to stream a game?

I have a feeling Australians will struggle to use this service with our limited internet.. :p

The average Youtube video in 720p HD streams at around 8000kbps, you shouldn't need much more then that for gaming. Specially since Youtube actually streams ahead most of the time.

stalker

Anyone with doubts about performance should just go to Gaikai website and try the demos. You do not need to register or login. Just click on a game demo and wait a bit.

Pandemic

The average Youtube video in 720p HD streams at around 8000kbps, you shouldn't need much more then that for gaming. Specially since Youtube actually streams ahead most of the time.
Oooo, I should be sweet then here in Australia, I seem to be able to load a 720p video fairly quickly, and that's with wireless. So I'm sure it'll be a lot better with a wired connection.

Hopes are high. :D

Darryl

Banned
looks legit, i tried a demo of crysis/rayman and it was gorgeous and playable. the lag was still too much for my tastes & my bandwidth caps would never allow me to play these games enough to care, though. a $49 PS labeled cloud box with ad-supported gameplay could wreck serious harm on anyones chance to push a console out next-gen. It would just be too damn cheap for most people to pass up. this is probably Sony's only chance to compete next-gen and make it out alive.

Santiako

Consider me very impressed with Gaikai, especially with the shit connection I have here in Spain, I played the Witcher 2 demo and Dead Rising 2 and both were completely playable.

Culex

Banned
Anyone with doubts about performance should just go to Gaikai website and try the demos. You do not need to register or login. Just click on a game demo and wait a bit.

Yep, and for those of us with integrated graphics on our PC's / Laptops, the tech is even that more impressive.

Pandemic

''Your bandwidth has dropped below the minimum required for quality gameplay''

Guess I'll have to wait till I change to a wired connection. :p

Proelite

looks legit, i tried a demo of crysis/rayman and it was gorgeous and playable. the lag was still too much for my tastes & my bandwidth caps would never allow me to play these games enough to care, though. a $49 PS labeled cloud box with ad-supported gameplay could wreck serious harm on anyones chance to push a console out next-gen. It would just be too damn cheap for most people to pass up. this is probably Sony's only chance to compete next-gen and make it out alive.

I dont think the $49 box would be getting next generation content. Publishers would put their games on platforms that can make them money.

Ponn

Banned
just tried ME3 demo on Gaikai. Very choppy intro sequence and tons of lag on gameplay. Sound cut out for 20 seconds. 20meg download speed, 4.5 up.

Darryl

Banned
I dont think the $49 box would be getting next generation content. Publishers would put their games on platforms that can make them money.

i didn't mean that all gameplay would be ad-supported. i would imagine that newer games would require you to buy or rent access. the ad-supported gameplay would just be a tease to get you on the platform and willing to pay for games.

''Your bandwidth has dropped below the minimum required for quality gameplay''

Guess I'll have to wait till I change to a wired connection. :p
Don't know if this is going to be used but H.265 (Halves bandwidth needed for video) is coming Jan 2013 and accelerated web browsers can do a tile update for the screen (only the areas that change get updates or the scrolled area that comes into view). Depends on support by the on-line game service I guess.

PS3 webkit browser does not have accelerated support yet.

Considering OpenGL accelerated webkit is going to be in just about everything could they be using code supporting the browser or the browser it'self?

Hmmm...Gaikai enables a custom created streaming module. You can license the tech and modify it for your business.What if it's something like:
- a new version of Remote Play for Vita (streaming all PS3 games to the handheld) or
- being able to play PS3 games on your PC (streaming all PS3 games to the PC) or
- being able to stream PC games to the PS3 (unlikely but nom nom nom)
- streaming BC for PS2 games

All of those options would be pretty sweet.
If it's anything like that, it would be very interesting. Otherwise, if it's just like OnLive, it will never work properly here in Brazil.

I bet for something like... if you are PS+, being able to remote play your PS3 games on Vita, without using the PS3 (get the save info from the cloud, executing the game in gaikai remote servers)

Konosuke

It's pretty much confirmed then.
Now how megaton worthy would it be if Sony announced the Gaikai partnership in order to bring PS4 demos to PS3 users?

It's pretty much confirmed then.
Now how megaton worthy would it be if Sony announced the Gaikai partnership in order to bring PS4 demos to PS3 users?

That would actually be pretty smart and a cool feature. Getting to try out next-gen on your current console.

-Eddman-

If true, sounds cool, but I don't see this being the future of videogames when download caps seem to be the future of the internet...

So, VG24/7 is the source of the original PlayStation Cloud gaming rumor, and guess who is listed as a "partner" on the Gaikai website? That's right, VG24/7...

mwIej.png

spanks

So this is Sony's strategy to steal attention away from the Wii U then. Pretty smart ,and a good way to transition into next gen without releasing hardware just yet.

Very good article. I highly recommend people read the above. Also, Gaikai is upgrading all of their 25-50 datacenters with Geforce GRID GPUs to cut down on latency even further (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-partner-with-meteor-to-broaden-hawken-launch). Gaikai is superior to OnLive in a lot of fronts. Gaikai's strategy is to have datacenters very close to users to minimize lag.

i also think its Onlive for Sony. Gaikai is browser based. Sony browsers suck.
It's not just browser-based. There are going to be integrated into plently of devices (TVs, tablets, etc). This was their latest press release about using Scaleform as a front end UI for their customers (publishers/retailers) (http://www.gaikai.com/press/article...r-interface-design-across-a-myriad-of-devices)

Cake Boss

Banned
Just tried this service.

Worked much better than Onlive did for me back then.

Other unrelated observation. Crysis 2 and Witcher 2 especially are fun ass games.

The more I think about it, this has to be very specific to Playstation just than a regular OnLive client. I thinking emulated PS1-PS2 games streamed through the browser. Why would I pay for a PS Plus subscription when I could already play OnLIve for free? Gaikai made mention of being able to host a white-label retro game service. They used Nintendo as an example, but Sony could very well do the same. It also makes more sense that Gaikai could do it based on there business model. Also, Playstation 1 games can easily be emulated on PC. Also, PS2 games can be emulated as well. This would make even more sense since PS4 is rumored to be x86 based. It would be advantageous of them getting emulators running on x86 hardware.

Check out this quote from Sony when the rumor in January came around (notice the word: legacy)

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/19/house-still-some-significant-barriers-to-streaming-solutions/
Sony is keen on the idea of streaming and cloud-based games services, but doesn’t feel the tech is ready for triple-A experiences yet.

“For the very highest quality high-definition console gaming, I think there are still some significant barriers to streaming solutions,” SCE boss Andrew House told CVG in an interview dating back to E3 2011.

“I think we are a way away from being able to deliver the full-on top-end experience like that. The scale of data involved and issues around latency do mean that, at least for now, the easiest consumer experience is from physical media.”

That’s not to say Sony is sitting back and waiting the online reovlution pass it by.

“Whether it’s in mobile or cloud-based services, there are opportunities there for more casual content and in our case potentially for legacy content, which we would definitely like to explore,” the executive added.

Mxrz

I tried out Gaikai. - Witcher 2 playable on an older rig. Huh. I'm starting to get hyped for this. I want to see the specifics of what Sony is going to do with it. How unrealistic is PC-game streaming to PS3/Vita? Even if only in demo form, that could work well for publishers to gauge interest.

The more I think about it, this has to be very specific to Playstation just than a regular OnLive client. I thinking emulated PS1-PS2 games streamed through the browser. Why would I pay for a PS Plus subscription when I could already play OnLIve for free? Gaikai made mention of being able to host a white-label retro game service. They used Nintendo as an example, but Sony could very well do the same. It also makes more sense that Gaikai could do it based on there business model. Also, Playstation 1 games can easily be emulated on PC. Also, PS2 games can be emulated as well. This would make even more sense since PS4 is rumored to be x86 based. It would be advantageous of them getting emulators running on x86 hardware.

Check out this quote from Sony when the rumor in January came around (notice the word: legacy)

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/19/house-still-some-significant-barriers-to-streaming-solutions/
I keyed on: Sony is keen on the idea of streaming and cloud-based games services, but doesn’t feel the tech is ready for triple-A experiences yet.

Is the Tech ready now? What is changing around E3, will we get a firmware update?

I would be okay with this as a value added expirence for PS+ members, but if they decide to base the whole next console around this, well I'm not going to be purchasing one.

Dunk#7

The cloud gaming servers have to be beasts

I do not understand how they could build servers large enough and powerful enough to meet the demand if something like this went mainstream.

It probably works ok right now with low demand, but is the technology really there to have cloud gaming hit the mass market?

It seems like the more popular cloud gaming becomes the worse the performance would be

I may not understand the whole process and maybe it is less intensive on the server end than I am thinking, but if so could somebody enlighten me?

I keyed on: Sony is keen on the idea of streaming and cloud-based games services, but doesn’t feel the tech is ready for triple-A experiences yet.

Is the Tech ready now? What is changing around E3, will we get a firmware update?

Yeah, the interview was originally from E3 2011, but lots of advances in cloud gaming has happened in the last year. Nvidia Geforce GRID and VGX announcements have been huge for cloud gaming and cloud computing.

crazy thought. what if they used this for *forwards compatibility*? there's no reason they couldn't. sell streaming versions of PS4 games to the existing PS3 userbase that hasn't upgraded. i wonder what that would do for the userbase transition.

at the very least you could demo PS4 games right to PS3 users in their own homes.

The cloud gaming servers have to be beasts

I do not understand how they could build servers large enough and powerful enough to meet the demand if something like this went mainstream.

It probably works ok right now with low demand, but is the technology really there to have cloud gaming hit the mass market?

It seems like the more popular cloud gaming becomes the worse the performance would be

I may not understand the whole process and maybe it is less intensive on the server end than I am thinking, but if so could somebody enlighten me?

The servers themsleves are beast, but Gaikai was able to get 12 WOW game instances running on 1 server. Nvidia just announced Geforce GRID that is designed specifically for cloud gaming, which will allow them to run even more game instances at even higher quality per server. It's basically server virtualization (VMWare, Hyper-V) for games with true GPU virtualization. Capacity will be an important issue. However, Gaikai is upgrading to Geforce GRID in August and displayed Hawken on LG HDTV and Transformer Prime (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-partner-with-meteor-to-broaden-hawken-launch). Gaikai has tons of datacenters.

Cake Boss

Banned
crazy thought. what if they used this for *forwards compatibility*? there's no reason they couldn't. sell streaming versions of PS4 games to the existing PS3 userbase that hasn't upgraded. i wonder what that would do for the userbase transition.

at the very least you could demo PS4 games right to PS3 users in their own homes.

mind-blown.gif

That free-to-play PC mech game Hawken recently announced that it was coming to Gaikai, I wonder if this means that PS3 gamers will also be able to play it.

PS4 is heavily rumored to use x86 PC-like hardware so this would actually be very feasible. It would be a literal game-changer if people have decent internet connections.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Haha oh wow. That would be pretty amazing.

Yeah, the interview was originally from E3 2011, but lots of advances in cloud gaming has happened in the last year. Nvidia Geforce GRID and VGX announcements have been huge for cloud gaming and cloud computing.
Is it through the browser, cause if it is then we are getting a browser update for E3.

Drek

Bold to the end of the sentence and you have your answer. They don't think it's capable of delivering a full "triple A" tier experience. Like Uncharted or God of War. For other things (smaller games and legacy games) they're apparently behind it.

Pretty massive clue as to where they'll take this.

I would be okay with this as a value added expirence for PS+ members, but if they decide to base the whole next console around this, well I'm not going to be purchasing one.
I don't know why anyone would expect such a dramatic shift from any of the console manufacturers. Its the same thing as the "no used games" blocking consoles. No one is rolling that out as a black and white feature, just like this.

It'll all be tiered, slowly building systems and this likely ties directly into the push for a "no used games" layout.

Consider a PS4/Xbox Whatever where you buy the newest Battlefield game and get the full single player experience along with instant online registration of your NEW copy of the game. Then when you play online the system has access to some local assets from the retail media (think HDD install) but the majority of the game is being pushed over your broadband connection.

So instead of console versions of Battlefield being these very limited, incredibly gimped versions of their PC brothers they'll be the same game feature for feature, ran through a cloud based service.

It lets developers promise a better experience while taking away the need to spend additional money on scaling the multiplayer, and it blocks used game sales out from the online community (like online passes do now) but from behind a veil of "we're doing this to give you the best experience possible!" marketing.

patsu

If it's OnLive/Gaikai style gaming, then they should improve the current community services as well. You can do a lot with server based delivery (Advanced party system integrated with your other web tools, universal spectating, clout commerce, etc.).

magawolaz

Just tried DS2 demo on Gaikai, I'm surprised it worked pretty good given my crappy WiFi connection. A little delay while moving the cursor, but wasn't that bad. Definitely looking forward to this.

That free-to-play PC mech game Hawken recently announced that it was coming to Gaikai, I wonder if this means that PS3 gamers will also be able to play it.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Was disappointed it wasn't coming to PS3 but it'd be great if I could play it over Gaikai. Is that even possible though?

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Was disappointed it wasn't coming to PS3 but it'd be great if I could play it over Gaikai. Is that even possible though?

Hawken was originally designed for Xbox Live Arcade so it was designed with console controls in mind in addition to traditional PC controls. It would be awesome to play it through the PS3.

Try Crysis 2 it's almost unplayable.

It played really well for me. Baically, YMMV depending on your internet connection and location. If you are closer to the datacenter you will get better quality and less lag.

Top Bottom