• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaikai teasing a big E3 announcement

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...Gaikai enables a custom created streaming module. You can license the tech and modify it for your business.What if it's something like:
- a new version of Remote Play for Vita (streaming all PS3 games to the handheld) or
- being able to play PS3 games on your PC (streaming all PS3 games to the PC) or
- being able to stream PC games to the PS3 (unlikely but nom nom nom)
- streaming BC for PS2 games

All of those options would be pretty sweet.
Out of those options, the one bolded is the one most likely, ironically. :p

So what do we think the silly name for this Gaikai powered PlayStation streaming platform is gonna be?

If its available across sony devices then Games Unlimited or PlayStation Unlimited seems like the safe bet but you never know what might happen once those crazy people at sony marketing get there teeth into it.

Ran rp

So what do we think the silly name for this Gaikai powered PlayStation streaming platform is gonna be?

If its available across sony devices then Games Unlimited or PlayStation Unlimited seems like the safe bet but you never know what might happen once those crazy people at sony marketing get there teeth into it.

PlayStation StreamPlay

GopherD

If it includes PC game streaming, ps2 streaming or a new vita remoteplay, they can call it Win Unlimited for all i care, it would be bought so hard.

If it includes PC game streaming, ps2 streaming or a new vita remoteplay, they can call it Win Unlimited for all i care, it would be bought so hard.

I am just gonna say I give it 99.9999% chance of pc game streaming not happening.

I bet this is just a PlayStation game steaming service thats cross platform (PS3/V, Android, iiOS, PC) and is powered by Gaikai software and maybe uses there network somehow.

Also I can guess that ps1, psp and ps2 games would run in a emulator on a pc but other then having a bunch of specially modded ps3's running some special server software I dont know how they can get ps3 games working.

The image quality is horrendous, not factoring in the bandwidth that would affect a large majority of the population. I wish Sony didn't bother with this...maybe I'm just no their target audience.

Edit: I will say that lag was very minimal and impressive, Onlive was unplayable in comparison.

androvsky

shouldnt everyone be angry about always online drm stuff. The Blizzard thing only happened like a few days ago.
If I'm paying $60 to own one game, yes I'm going to be upset about the drm. If it's a low monthly fee for full access to a large library of games ala netflix, I don't care.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
how about $10 a month for full access to PS1 collection and or PS2 games??

Similar to the OnLive Playpack 120+ games for $9.99 a month. Only these games won't suck..

I am just gonna say I give it 99.9999% chance of pc game streaming not happening.

I bet this is just a PlayStation game steaming service thats cross platform (PS3/V, Android, iiOS, PC) and is powered by Gaikai software and maybe uses there network somehow.

Also I can guess that ps1, psp and ps2 games would run in a emulator on a pc but other then having a bunch of specially modded ps3's running some special server software I dont know how they can get ps3 games working.

Why do you find it more unlikely that PC games getting streamed on a PS3 then PS3 games getting streamed to a iOS/Android and PC? Cause out of the two, the latter is the least likely one to happen.

If I'm paying $60 to own one game, yes I'm going to be upset about the drm. If it's a low monthly fee for full access to a large library of games ala netflix, I don't care.
And also playable on a class of Blu-ray players, TVs, Refrigerators (with browsers), Thin client boxes, handhelds etc. It doesn't have to have a GPU. Sony will probably announce it's available on all Networked CE platforms in addition to DLNA, RVU and Webkit.

onQ123 has been posting new and updated Sony patents and there have been allot of them since Jan 2012 as well as Two Sony regional representatives 4th quarter 2011 stating that Sony (early 2012) will release lots of new and exciting features. The early part hasn't happened and I wonder if Sony delayed some for E3 and if the WiiU is scheduled for Reveal/release at E3 and Sony hopes to steal the show. Sony's E3 "Future of Gameplay" would include features introduced on the PS3 and expanded on the PS4.

There is quite a bit of PSN updating going on and just before E3. Add patent publishing, OpenMax 1.2, Khronos PDF stating AR scheduled for Sept 2012 and the need to Finish the Vita and PS3 OS to support an Ecosystem and increase sales and E3 should have a Firmware update for both.

SparkTR

Why do you find it more unlikely that PC games getting streamed on a PS3 then PS3 games getting streamed to a iOS/Android and PC? Cause out of the two, the latter is the least likely one to happen.

Both aren't going to happen either way. One reason being there's only a few full PC games on Gaikai (it's primarily a demo service), and you have to buy said games through the developers website. The second being the death of Sony's gaming division if they allow their games playable on PC. It's going to be a bunch of first party and some third party PS3 and possibly PS2 games streamed to various Playstation devices.

I'd imagine Sony would just use Gaikai's infrastructure to allow people (PS+'ers?) to stream any games bought through PSN instead of downloading them.

And it would be funny if their cloud saving remained as cumbersome as it is. Imagine saving your game locally while streaming it online, then having to upload the save to the internet whenever you're done.

Bradach

I tried the mass effect 3 demo on Gaikai last night. I was impressed with how little latency there was. Very playable, even over wifi. I'll be keeping an eye on this big announcement

Leckan

You will probably be able to play games from the cloud and after 45 minutes or so you will be directed to PSN/SEN in order to download and buy the full version. It will be PS+ exclusive obviously.

Quite similar to how Gakai works now with PC games in other words.

SappYoda

This could be awesome if Sony uses this to be able to stream all your PSN content (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3...) into the Vita.

iceatcs

oh wow, acquisition rather than partner.

Damn I could smell someone shit in the pant. MS?
Hopefully we can able to play stream anytime unlimitedly. End of $60 era?

oh wow, acquisition rather than partner.

Damn I could smell someone shit in the pant. MS?
Hopefully we can able to play stream anytime unlimitedly. End of $60 era?

there still on live ( bigger player than gaikai ) on the market and many more new tech still to coming out.

cloud gaming is still in early stage

Afrikan

We knew this day would come....but i don't think going into this gen, anyone would have thought Sony of the 3 companies would be the first to make the move.

I'll just say that when i first used OnLive's interface, it literly blew my mind. Games were blury when you started them, but the whole navigation of the menus was unreal.

I wonder if Sony will have their own take however, be it Gaikai or OnLive.

Anyone remember Sony's old presentation, where they would zoom into a webpage 1000 times over...wonder if they will have a more clear (compared to OnLive) interface thankx to that.

Liamario

Banned
This would be a pretty major announcement wouldn't it?
Are we talking PC games on PS3, or PS3 cloud games on PS3?

iceatcs

Think bigger. PS1,2,3,4 "stream" ready Sony devices on a brand level.
1st party titles I can see.

But 3rd party publishers will said FUCK OFF Sony.
Hopefully Sony just rip blu-ray 3rd party titles and upload it cloud service by itself without need of publishers's perm, and also fuck pay the licence.

1st party titles I can see.

But 3rd party publishers will said FUCK OFF Sony.
Hopefully Sony just rip blu-ray 3rd party titles and upload it cloud service by itself without need of publishers's perm, and also fuck pay the licence.

Uhh, publishers love cloud gaming. It's unpiratable with no used market and no retailer to cut in on profits. They can't wait for it to go mainstream.

iceatcs

Uhh, publishers love cloud gaming. It's unpiratable with no used market and no retailer to cut in on profits. They can't wait for it to go mainstream.

But they are not getting RRP price because you don't pay the game, you pay for stream. They only get few cents for one stream a time.

ironcreed

Banned
I would rather just buy or even download a game, rather than have to deal with lag and inferior image quality. Which is what those with less than adequate connections would experience. I have only tried Onlive and it worked alright, but the reduced image quality was the main issue for me. Why would I want an inferior experience?

iceatcs

Why are you assuming it will work that way? On Onlive you buy individual games don't you?

Fucking wat.... Wait!!! Streaming a game you paid full? Holy shit that's bad.

Just go to Netflix way. Pay monthly and unlimited play any game library.

Jonnyram

What about if Gaikai makes a client that will stream PS3 games to your Vita, allowing you to seamlessly switch between TV and Vita?

Top Bottom