• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

D'Antoni just said when asked about cp3 and mid-range that Steve Nash was a great mid range shooter and that they might not shoot as many 3s as Morey wants and that you play to your team's strengths and that the shot charts might not look the same as last year

Im in heaven

Also according to Marc Stein D'Antoni said you can never have enough point guards on the floor XD

Also Blake is apparently out to his toe injury till December.

Boogs31

They would need to find somewhere to offload Anderson's contract for that to work. I'm not sure what sweeteners they have left for that. Ironically enough the Rockets roster now resembles OG Lob City in many ways (elite starting 5, instant offense 6th man, and absolutely nothing after that).

As much as I like Millsap, if they have to gut their bench even more to get Millsap I wouldn't do it. They have a really good starting five and at the very least an average bench right now. Is it worth making your bench shit to take your starting five from really good to great?

Line_HTX

Jonathan Feigen‏ @Jonathan_Feigen 25m25 minutes ago

When the deal was in place at 4 a.m. Daryl Morey called James Harden. "I thought he might be up."

Damn, this was before the news of Phil getting fired to start the day.

FZZ

Banned
Huh wasn't Phil getting fired being reported at like 10pm PST?

that wouldn't have been anywhere near 4am in Houston

Jmon breh

I think if the Clippers want to get serious about this rebuild, they need to punt Deandre off somewhere and trade for Jahlil Okafor, he's only 19 and rolls out of bed getting 20 and 10 and can lead this franchise from out of the wilderness into the light.

Plus, as we've seen with all the talk around the draft, everyone loves a guy who was a proven WINNER at the college level. It almost makes too much sense!

Bread

Banned
Can you imagine free agent LeBron in the meeting room.

"I'll sign but you have to give big deals to my washed up banana boat crew"
Danny: "I've got just the assets we need to do it"

Bam, banners 18-21 are ensured and a statue of Lebrong is unveiled in front of the Boston Garden.

Cheebo

Banned
Happy to see him on a better organization. He was very good on the Nets.

Magic Johnson
Steph Curry
Oscar Robertson

Unless he does something spectacular with the Rockets he ain't replacing any of these 3.

CP3 will likely end of on the lower tier with Stockton/Nash/Kidd were they had great careers but their teams didn't accomplish much during their prime.

You can't do a top 3 all time PG list without listing Isiah Thomas.
isiah-thomas-608.jpg

His Game 6 of the 1988 NBA Finals is one of the most impressive individual performances ever seen. It remains awe inspiring to watch to this day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDB2SCT-vg0

He sprained his ankle and literally was hopping around on one foot and scored 4-fucking-3 points in a finals game despite that.

Even Magic agrees.
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/687328370560876545

RBH

Philips Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks, is undergoing a major $192 million renovation project.

The Hawks made several big announcements about the transformation of Philips Arena on Wednesday.

When the project is finished, the home of the Hawks will feature the NBA's first courtside bar with a view of the court.

DDb7GSEVoAEI4Hw.jpg:small

Hawks CEO Steve Koonin says the remodeled arena will also feature "Swing Suites" with TopGolf simulators, a variety of new suites, a barbershop and several new clubs.

DDb58JOUwAAAojj.jpg:small

Atlanta-based artists Killer Mike of the hip-hop group Run the Jewels and Zac Brown Band are a part of the transformation.

The country group Zac Brown Band will have a social club in the new arena.

Killer Mike has partnered with the arena to open up The S.W.A.G shop, a four-chair barbershop with a view of the court.

DDb1av_UwAIdYaG.jpg:small

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/remodel...bas-first-courtside-bar-barber-shop/543874605

You can't do a top 3 all time PG list without listing Isiah Thomas.
isiah-thomas-608.jpg

His Game 6 of the 1988 NBA Finals is one of the most impressive individual performances ever seen. It remains awe inspiring to watch to this day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDB2SCT-vg0

He sprained his ankle and literally was hopping around on one foot and scored 4-fucking-3 points in a finals game despite that.

Even Magic agrees.
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/687328370560876545

Hey Isiah was great. People sleep on him because he was on a hated team and he said some dumb shit but he was definitely on of the best point guards of all time.

I still find it hard to put him over Magic/Steph/Robertson though. He would probably be my number 4.

Boogs31

Hey Isiah was great. People sleep on him because he was on a hated team and he said some dumb shit but he was definitely on of the best point guards of all time.

I still find it hard to put him over Magic/Steph/Robertson though. He would probably be my number 4.

I think Steph eventually will be up there but not yet. He's only been an all star caliber player for 5 seasons. He's got to continue at near his current level for a few more seasons before I put him over a guy like Isaiah Thomas. And hell Curry wouldn't even be over Chris Paul at this point in his career. CP3 was an all star prior to Curry even being in the league.

Boogs31

Is there any other player that even sniffs the top 50 who never made a conference final?

Maaaaaybe 'Nique but nobody has him as a top-5 PF.

It's a team sport. Mitch Richmond was a phenomenal basketball player that never played on a single quality team throughout his entire prime. And it's not as if CP3 has never come close. The two years his best teams in LA were healthy he came awfully close to the conference finals.

Happy to see him on a better organization. He was very good on the Nets.

Magic Johnson
Steph Curry
Oscar Robertson

Unless he does something spectacular with the Rockets he ain't replacing any of these 3.

CP3 will likely end of on the lower tier with Stockton/Nash/Kidd were they had great careers but their teams didn't accomplish much during their prime.

Curry is not top three right now.

I think Steph eventually will be up there but not yet. He's only been an all star caliber player for 5 seasons. He's got to continue at near his current level for a few more seasons before I put him over a guy like Isaiah Thomas. And hell Curry wouldn't even be over Chris Paul at this point in his career. CP3 was an all star prior to Curry even being in the league.

In the last 3 years he has accomplished more that Isiah and CP3 have done their entire careers.

I know all time rankings should account for continued success(that's why I would still put Magic over Steph) but the stuff Steph has done since 2014 have been absurd.

NBA Champion, Unanimous MVP, best shooter any of us has witnessed, revolutionized the position like no one since Magic.

He could retire tomorrow and he would still be in my top 3 point guards.

Boogs31

In the last 3 years he has accomplished more that Isiah and CP3 have done their entire careers.

I know all time rankings should account for continued success(that's why I would still put Magic over Steph) but the stuff Steph has done since 2014 have been absurd.

NBA Champion, Unanimous MVP, best shooter any of us has witnessed, revolutionized the position like no one since Magic.

He could retire tomorrow and he would still be in my top 3 point guards.

I totally agree that what Steph has done in the last three years is better than any 3 year stretch of Isaiah Thomas or CP3's career. But longevity matters. Shaq's prime was better than Duncan's but I'd take Duncan's career over Shaq's any day.

Fjordson

Huh. Curry in the last few years is doing stuff far, far beyond anything CP3's ever done.

Like the bolded doesn't really mean much. Other than that CP3 just happens to be an older human being I guess.

I totally agree that what Steph has done in the last three years is better than any 3 year stretch of Isaiah Thomas or CP3's career. But longevity matters. Shaq's prime was better than Duncan's but I'd take Duncan's career over Shaq's any day.
You'd take CP3's career over Steph's...?

Servbot24

Banned
Huh. Curry in the last few years is doing stuff far, far beyond anything CP3's ever done.

Like the bolded doesn't really mean much. Other than that CP3 just happens to be an older human being I guess.

Steph was a way higher peak but CP3 has a much more consistent body of work over the years. Gotta respect the consistent quality for now, but I think after a few more years Steph will be a clear tier above CP3.

Boogs31

If both retired today, yes I would pick CP3. I fully assume when it's all said and done that Curry will be above CP3. If I had to win a single game, I'd take prime Curry as well. But asking who's had a better career is a different question entirely. CP3 has been an elite point guard for twice as long as Steph has.

Sounds like the Clippers are not going to blow it up, and instead make a run at maxing out Blake. Bev, Austin, Blake and DAJ makes for a solid 43 win core. Gotta do it!

Fjordson

If both retired today, yes I would pick CP3. I fully assume when it's all said and done that Curry will be above CP3. If I had to win a single game, I'd take prime Curry as well. But asking who's had a better career is a different question entirely. CP3 has been an elite point guard for twice as long as Steph has.
Wow, that's shocking. Think even CP3 himself would trade his career for Steph's right now lol

Steph was a way higher peak but CP3 has a much more consistent body of work over the years. Gotta respect the consistent quality for now, but I think after a few more years Steph will be a clear tier above CP3.
Oh I respect it, he's an obvious hall of famer, but I guess I've just never put as much stock into longevity as other fans. I feel pretty comfortable ranking Steph significantly ahead of CP3 historically.

Longevity mattered in Shaq's case because players in his position like Kareem and Bill Russell had a long run of excellence while he was journeyman by the end of his career.

Meanwhile out of the top point guards nobody but Magic had a long run of success.

Cheebo

Banned

The hate the bad boys Pistons got was always absurd. They had one of the best runs. 3 straight finals with back to back championships.

The IT led Pistons swept the Magic Johnson Lakers and were the only team to cause prime Michael Jordan to choke.

One of the forgotten things of the NBA is late 80's Michael Jordan, who was a better MJ than the post-baseball late 90's MJ. MJ would have one a title or two in the late 80's if it wasn't for Isiah Thomas's Pistons.

Late 90's MJ seemed to sort of lock in peoples mind of how they remember MJ but my god was late 80's was something else to behold. His dunks then were the best of his career. Pistons always beating them in the late 80's sort of made that era of MJ fade from memory.

Cheebo

Banned
Longevity mattered in Shaq's case because players in his position like Kareem and Bill Russell had a long run of excellence while he was journeyman by the end of his career.

Meanwhile out of the top point guards nobody but Magic had a long run of success.
Magic won finals MVP in his fucking rookie year. A ROOKIE. And continued to be just unstoppable for over a decade year in year out. No PG has pulled off that sort of run but him.

Top Bottom