• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just recently finished both Steins;Gate games. I need more like this.

Azuardo

I've never really delved into the visual novel genre before, but after taking a chance on Steins;Gate thanks to all the positive feedback and cheap price I could get it for, I may have just found a new favourite genre.

I've been glued to both SG and SG Zero non-stop for the past few months, playing almost nothing else in between. It's one of those where I just couldn't wait to get back to it after putting it down, and couldn't stop thinking about the story and the characters - even now, after I've finished them.

So does anyone have any recommendations for similar games with such a great story with fleshed-out characters and world? I tried looking into the other Science Adventure games, but it looks like Chaos;Child and whatever else is in that group are Japan only? Are there any other highly recommended games of a similar ilk, even if it's not in the VN genre? I do play a lot of RPGs, but not quite sure I've been so heavily invested in a game's characters for a long time as I have with Steins;Gate.

I have played the Danganronpa and Zero Escape games, before anyone puts them forward.

tl;dr: I loved Steins;Gate. Recommend me other games/VNs I should play now.

This pretty much my favorite contemporary Sci-fi VN. Okabe is such a great protagonist.

As for VN recommendations:

The House in Fata Morgana.

takoyaki

mind-bendy SciFi? Already played ZE trilogy?

=> The Infinity Games (Never7, Ever17, Remember11, 12Riven) by the same creator. You can play the first 3 in English on PC and there are recent fan-patches for Ever17 and Remember11 on PSP/Vita.

great story with fleshed-out characters and world?

=> definitely this one:

Mesharey

Now I feel bad I missed the sale lol.

Didn't try this genre, tried few games like Hotel Dusk and mostly DS games but didn't really plan on finishing any.

The anime was amazing too.

Azuardo

Will have a look, thanks.

Ace Attorney?

Ah, I should look into this series again. I have Apollo Justice and that's it. I know thats the wrong place to start, so should give the series another chance from the beginning.

mind-bendy SciFi? Already played ZE trilogy?

=> The Infinity Games (Never7, Ever17, Remember11, 12Riven) by the same creator. You can play the first 3 in English on PC and there are recent fan-patches for Ever17 and Remember11 on PSP/Vita.

I'll check out the Infinity games too, thanks.

And yeah, played the ZE trilogy. Loved the first two. Third game sucked. Well, it was alright, but a big letdown.

I've heard good things about Root Double. I'm still waiting for the Vita localization to play it, though. (It was supposed to be out Q1 2017, but Sekai Project amirite?)

You mentioned Chaos;Child, I think it's worth mentioning that it's been leaked at several retailers and a localization is looking likely. And it's apparently one of the best entries in the series.

C'mon guys, one of you should have at least mentioned Root Double by now.

Touché.

Shizuka

All Danganronpa titles, all Zero Escape titles, Root Double, The House in Fata Morgana, Code Realize, Sweet Fuse, Root Letter, Eiyuu Senki, Utawarerumono, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Ever17, Remember11, all Muv Luv titles, the upcoming Dies irae release.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
All Danganronpa titles, all Zero Escape titles, Root Double, The House in Fata Morgana, Code Realize, Sweet Fuse, Root Letter, Eiyuu Senki, Utawarerumono, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Ever17, Remember11, all Muv Luv titles, the upcoming Dies irae release.

This.

But most especially this:

Gurthang

Banned
Here

http://i.imgur.com/PxkTwoX.jpg

Don't jump into Remember11 tho. Try Ever17 first. Remember11 is the best VN which isn't fully finished even tho its more than possible to sort out the whole background story with the Infinity Timeline.

If you liked the harem aspects, then Grisaia series is good too. Its not similar in terms of plot but it has lots of girls with a decent story.

i-Jest

If you got a PC I hear only good things about House of Fata Morgana.

EDIT: Damn it, I was beaten by Aokage and Shizuka.

vixlar

I'm not sure if it could be the same style, as I hadn't played none of these series, but 999 and its sequel are coming to steam

syncyes

Ever17 for sure.

I played Steins;Gate immediately after I finished Ever17 and because Ever17 was VERY SERIOUS by the end of it all I completely believed Okabe's unreliable narrator stuff at the beginning of Steins;Gate, haha.

What is Ever 17 like? Is it possible to get it on current systems?

It's pretty much impossible to get official anymore, it had a very limited US PC release over a decade ago.

It's from the Zero Escape developer before he worked on that, and is thematically similar without the room escape mechanics.

Steins;Gate is the GOAT. It's all down hill from here.

That said, Saya no Uta is one of the most interesting stories in the medium, and it's completely different from Steins;Gate. It's a horror story. Everything about the game is grotesque and unsettling - even the soundtrack - and the protagonist is completely unlikable. It is an R-18 game, and it deals in some really, really fucked up stuff.

Here's Kotaku's description:
Written by the acclaimed author of Madoka Magica, Psycho Pass, Fate/Zero, and this season's Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, The Song of Saya is a visual novel about medical student Fuminori. After a car accident kills his family and leaves him in critical condition, he awakens to see the world as if it were a fleshy, pulsating, gore-covered, wasteland populated by scores of eldritch abominations.

He is on the edge of suicide until he meets Saya, a girl looking for her missing father, who—unlike everyone else—looks and sounds like a completely normal human.

Horror ensues.

It's less than ten hours hours long, but it's an experience that you will never forget, and you're unlikely to find or want to find anything else quite like it. Provided you have the stomach for it, I would easily rank it alongside Steins;Gate and well above Zero Escape, Dangan Ronpa, and Chaos;Head.

tl;dr: nothing will ever compare to Steins;Gate, why not try something completely different?

Basically I'll never play Ever 17 :(

How's Umineko or Fata Morgana.
Or even clanaad
All three are at the top of the genre. Can't go wrong with any of them, but Umineko is on the horror side, Fata Morgana is like a Gothic drama kinda, and Clannad is a super sad but bittersweet game that is also very long.
Depends on what you want!

SephLuis

I am no VN expert (Shizuka has that position), but no one recommended The Silver Case yet.

It's a Suda 51 trip. If you do not know Suda 51, just now that the game is one hell of a trip either way.

RRockman

Banned
Steins;Gate is the GOAT. It's all down hill from here.

Strongly disagree on this. It's great, but I can't confidently say it's the best there is in a world where Root Double exists.

What is Ever 17 like? Is it possible to get it on current systems?

Ever17 puts you through so many emotions as you follow a group of people that are stuck in an underwater amusement park. The park will be destroyed in a week due to the water pressure. You can play as two characters and see two different sides of the same story. Seems straightforward right?
No. No its not.

Jimrpg

House in Fata Morgana is my number 2 GOAT VN. Number 1? Steins;Gate.

Other titles still to play for me Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter, Root Double, Umineko, Higurashi (waiting for it to finish on Steam first).

I think many people want to 'play' a game and VNs having no gameplay would feel weird. But on the contrary it's refreshing to jettison the gameplay and cut right to the story.

Oh and I have to say I didn't really like Phoenix Wright (can easily get stuck), Danganronpa (premise never interested me but gave it a shot anyway), 999 (only did one ending and dropped it, haven't gone back though I intend to.)

Play Root Double. It's like a better version of Zero Escape with better characters and much stronger overall writing.

9 people trapped in a nuclear facility about to meltdown, with lots of really good sci-fi stuff, psychic powers, and more. What I really love about the game is how well crafted the main story is, and how well they lay the seeds for everything single twist. There was never a moment where I was going "oh come on, that's bullshit", but rather I could appreciate just how tightly woven the story was, and how nothing was being pulled out of the game's ass.

The Higurashi series is also really good, although the release is still in progress (first five chapters are out, though). Great horror stories with memorable characters and some out of this world music and sound design. If creepy horror in a secluded Japanese village off in the mountains sounds up your alley, check them out.

Sciel

Having played most of the recommendations here (besides Root Double), the best is probably The House In Fata Morgana. It is a bit of a slow burn at the start though.

The Ace Attorney franchise is another good pick, they aren't exactly masterpieces but each entry (theres like 6?) is filled with interesting/amusing characters and stories. Could easily get immersed for a hundred or so hours really.

The worst of the lot is Root Letter, absolutely terrible and a waste of time. Do not even consider this one.

BTA

Umineko and Fata Morgana are both strong recommendations for me. Both of them have an extremely special place in my heart, and that's true for several friends of mine as well.

I would almost suggest playing Umineko first, as I feel like Fata's a game that's definitely made by people who have played Umineko, but it's so much longer that it might be better to play Fata first.

Play Root Double. It's like a better version of Zero Escape with better characters and much stronger overall writing.

9 people trapped in a nuclear facility about to meltdown, with lots of really good sci-fi stuff, psychic powers, and more. What I really love about the game is how well crafted the main story is, and how well they lay the seeds for everything single twist. There was never a moment where I was going "oh come on, that's bullshit", but rather I could appreciate just how tightly woven the story was, and how nothing was being pulled out of the game's ass.

...you've reminded me that I helped Kickstart this. I wonder when that Vita version's actually coming out...

The worst of the lot is Root Letter, absolutely terrible and a waste of time. Do not even consider this one.

Seconded. Do not play Root Letter. It's boring, badly written (to be clear: not only badly translated, but also written), and the protagonist is arbitrarily an ass to people for no clear reason. It's a hassle to see all the endings and they don't even directly connect and only the true one is even approaching being meaningful, and I'm extremely disappointed and want like 20 hours of my life back.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Sakura Spirit

Nesther

Man, I really gotta try Root Double and Fata Morgana, so many recommendations itt. Read they're both coming to Vita, so I'll wait awhile.

Knurek

Maybe play the other three Steins;Gate games?

Fata Morgana and Umineko are better than Steins;Gate anyway

People have already recommend ones that I would that I've played (Phoenix Wright series, Danganronpa series, Higurashi, Zero Escape series, etc). I wish I could recommend the other Science Adventure novels, but none of the others have been localized and that sucks since I've been interested in playing those since I played Steins;Gate after going through the bad Chaos;Head anime years prior. I really hope that Steins;Gate was a really good enough success for more of the Science Adventure games to come over, but some are decently old and might not come over like Chaos;Head (even if it has a Vita version).

BTA

Man, I really gotta try Root Double and Fata Morgana, so many recommendations itt. Read they're both coming to Vita, so I'll wait awhile.

Fata coming to Vita in English is only speculation at this point, as far as I'm aware. So maybe grab it on Steam next time it's on sale
for 0% off.

Top Bottom