• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has suspend/resume (sleep) mode

Klocker

But is this a PS4 patented/exclusive?

I mean, what's stopping MS from doing this?

rumor is you can do this on 720 as well and switch between two or more games/apps at a time, like pause and switch to browser and or Netflix and then back to game where you left off etc...

also MS rumor of instant play download/installs as well so my guess is when the dust settles these two systems will have a lot of the same features leaving exclusives, price, Kinnect and friends list making the biggest diff. Shocking. ;)

onipex

This is the best news about the console to me , but it doesn't sell it for me. I'll wait to see how good or bad the streaming works and if these featues are ready day one or not.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This was seriously the most WOW moment of the entire show for me, to be able to just suspend my play at anytime is just the best. I am so surprised that I didn't think of this for console gaming until now. Well done Sony.

alphaNoid

Banned
This certainly will be a Durango feature as well, its a modern feature that smartphones have had for several years. Why any modern console wouldn't have it is the bigger question.

KidBeta

Odd, I didn't watch the Durango press event myself. When was it?

Around the same time the leaks came out, we have a pretty good picture of what Durango is going to be, if your expecting something massively different to the rumors then you will be sorely disappointed at what you get, at the moment they cannot really change anything.

Concept17

As someone who shuts off and on my PS3 multiple times a day, this is a much needed feature. Between kids watching netflix, my wife and i, and playing games... usually taking a lot of short breaks, its perfect.

IrishNinja

love this on vita/handhelds, and was just lamenting how long it takes me to boot into the XMB, load Okami HD and finally play - interested to see just how low the wattage it used, but the more i think on it, the more it's a very welcome feature

So what if the power goes out or someone accidentally flips a switch in your room that controls that outlet?

Well, it will have written the gamestate to either flash memory or the hard drive so that would be safe. Booting would probably just take longer, but your game session will still be there.

It would take a lot of getting used to I think to not save then shutdown a game console. I would probably do it anyway just out of paranoia. Another convenience wasted on somebody like me who fears change.

Wait - would something like this phase out saving/loading a game entirely somewhere down the line? Now THAT is scary.

No more startup load times, minutes of publisher/dev logos, Press Start screens, just turn on and play games. Next gen is here.

I hope this is indicative of a new philosophy at Sony, centred around me not having to stare blankly at progress bars whenever I turn on my Playstation. The PS3's OS is so slow, especially that store that I swear takes longer to open every time, and it just makes it feel like a piece of junk.

Rimfya

Banned
Fantastic.

Also like the idea of multi-tasking. Was always my dream to get in 40 seconds of Geometry Wars between rounds of Call of Duty on xbox.

Anteater

This is great, no more 5 start up logos, loading and listening to paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty before I get to play the fucking game.

Orca

Nice, but I doubt I'll ever be able to use it. Two kids in the house that like playing games means that unless there's a way to lock them out, I can't leave my games accessible :D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Such a no brainer feature right here, shocked it took so long to be implemented into consoles. I love it on handhelds.

Genkobar

This is an awesome feature. It's something I would have liked to have in my game consoles for more than 20 years! Well, I guess saving wasn't even a thing back then. But this is forward thinking, and a bit Apple-like.

Empty

brilliant. like some others have said in here, one of the reasons i've leaned towards handhelds recently is their ease of jumping in.

i reckon this is one of those smaller usability features like wireless controllers or hardrives this generation that aren't headline generation improvements like the killzone footage or gakai but have a massive impact and will be taken for granted in a few years time.

ibun

If there is a loss of power I'm assuming the RAM will be lost, although there are those hybrid drives which transfer RAM to HDD on battery power in the event of a power cut. But likely it'll be like the PSP, convenience feature but keep saving often.

PCs in this mode need to "boot". writing everything from the HDD back into RAM.

I dont get the talk about "Booting". Booting is nothing problematic, it doesnt take hours, i doesnt take as long as to boot a C64 cold to international Karate with a DataCassette. This Generation and the last two had big flaws with loading Times. Just Make them shortter. Showing the Dev/Publisher Logos are kind of a Ritual. Start Sound, screen gos black etc. those 45 seconds is nothing to get upset about. in that time you can do a lot of things, get up grab a bite, go to the washroom, talk to the wive(ignore wive), reprimand dog, read news, check feeds.... yes, resume-play is a nice feature and dearly welcomed but the things as they are now arent bad either, except loading time, pre play installation.

Actually does it work with Disc based games? o_O"

Wait - would something like this phase out saving/loading a game entirely somewhere down the line? Now THAT is scary.

I really hope that it doesn't turn into a "save state" type of thing that lets you save that.....state to hard drive like a normal save. Just because the major change in game design that would take. Knowing that everyone is just going to save right before a big moment kills some possible challenge.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So just to make things clear, this is essentially like sleep mode on most (of the newer) handhelds, and not like the save state feature on, for example, PSP Go?
Ie, I can't keep the paused mode from one game and play a different one?

Vitten

How will this work for a Dark/Demon's Souls type of game where not being able to pauze is at the core of the gameplay ?

Meier

I like this concept to a certain extent but at the same point in time, I'd worry about the power usage (even if it's minimal) of going this route all the time. If it's a negligible difference compared to the amount expended just by having it plugged in, this will be awesome.

btkadams

I'm confused, isn't this just like what the WiiU does? Serious question.

i believe it's different in that you can actually turn off the console and turn it back on and have it ready to play again. the wii u let's you suspend, but it doesn't let you turn off the system and then return.

i may be wrong, but that is what i am getting from it. the specific mention of sleep mode is key, since that's what they call the ps3 when it is off (there's no power switch).

Yonafunu

is it like the Vita's for example?

Maybe it is, I don't know. I don't have a Vita.

i believe it's different in that you can actually turn off the console and turn it back on and have it ready to play again. the wii u let's you suspend, but it doesn't let you turn off the system and then return.

i may be wrong, but that is what i am getting from it. the specific mention of sleep mode is key, since that's what they call the ps3 when it is off (there's no power switch).

That makes sense. Thanks, awesome!

Ominym

Banned
I honestly consider this function to be a total understatement when people are discussing the PS4. This is ridiculously huge.

Top Bottom