• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

KyleN

Banned
Dead Space 2
iY3rv6KWZTmSh.png

icnGvxwrAHgE1.png

Megasoum

Banned
I should really replay MGS1 at some point... Now I'm wondering if I want to play my OG discs in my PS3 or on my pc through PCSXE...hmmm

Hey guys I have a concern with my current setup. I'm running a gigabyte gtx 670 sli with both cards overclocked, my first gpu is clocked to 1202mhz core clock and the second is 1189mhz core clock and both are 3086mhz for the memory clock. My i5-3570k is also overclocked to 4.6ghz.

My concern is when I play BF3 I see my framerate go below 60, like if I look at a wide viewing area, this is especially present on the Karkand maps. Before I got my second 670 my single 670 which was overclocked to 1215mhz for the core had no problem rendering wide viewing areas at 60fps but now with the second 670 the I'm not getting 60fps when I view a wide open area so I'd like to know what could be the issue. I did up the game's visual quality but that isn't something 2 overclocked cards couldn't handle. I also do have the latest nvidia beta driver and the sli works well with benchmarks and especially Metro 2033. I'm able to get a score of 2293 in the Heaven benchmark with everything maxed out and I can get 97fps average in Metro 2033 with Very High settings but with MSAAx4.

I remember reading that cpu's can hold people back in BF3 but I got mine at a pretty good overclock.

Peterthumpa

My Planetside 2 doesn't look like that even with everything on max. Am I missing something? How those shots are so jaggy free? And my motion blur isn't as strong as that.

Spazznid

itnuxvzbBLuEl.png

ibaTFvBnswHkuo.png

My Planetside 2 doesn't look like that even with everything on max. Am I missing something? How those shots are so jaggy free? And my motion blur isn't as strong as that.

Hmmm, I HAD everything on ultra before, but changed them all back to high for these since the difference was negligable. I also have some render distances lower since you can't really see the continent that far away anyways, so no clue. try adding SMAA on Ultra.

Also the blur is just an on/off switch, right?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
someone feel free to correct me, but I am under the impression that SLI setups can still reach the same min fps as one of the cards in the setup...

in your case, you upped the visual settings but the minimum fps ( i.e "drops" ) will less if the first paragraph is true thus resulting in lower minimum fps

iphone

@spazznid, using image editing software for the downsampling from ~~4k res so it looks much sharper than 'usual'

Spazznid

someone feel free to correct me, but I am under the impression that SLI setups can still reach the same min fps as one of the cards in the setup...

in your case, you upped the visual settings but the minimum fps ( i.e "drops" ) will less if the first paragraph is true thus resulting in lower minimum fps

iphone

@spazznid, using image editing software for the downsampling from ~~4k res so it looks much sharper than 'usual'

Yeah, but what method are you using? Also what card and fps do you get at that res? I get mostly 30 @ 2160p, and that's not even in combat...

These shots were kind of candid while playing, whenever I liked an area, or situation, I'd turn off the HUD, and Fraps is taking a picture every 3 seconds, so most of these would be hard to get at 4k, considering at 4k, I'd be hard pressed to survive...

Corky

mitchell downsampling in irfan view from "2050p" driver level custom resolution, I get 30 fps avg with a 670@~1300mhz

Soul_Pie

I've been playing planetside 2 on full settings and it is a stunning game.

But I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just wandering around aimlessly most of the time.

And somehow it's still fun. Dem colours.

Spazznid

mitchell downsampling in irfan view from "2050p" driver level custom resolution, I get 30 fps avg with a 670@~1300mhz

Ah, I have an un-overclocked 580.... hmmm, then again I usually play with fraps on... I might give that a try... Also Is there a comparison of the different types of downsampling methods? If not, then I may make one...

I've been playing planetside 2 on full settings and it is a stunning game.

But I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just wandering around aimlessly most of the time.

And somehow it's still fun. Dem colours.

This is pretty much how you should be playing....

Spazznid

How is this freeware by the way? How do they make money off it?

Damn is it stunning.

Free2Play model.

Means that they give the game out for free, and sell camoflauge, decorations, and cosmetic armor. They also sell guns, but at high prices and all the guns are unlockable by playing, so it's not unfair in the least. Also, you can do VERY well with stock weapons.

They also sell slight EXP gain boosts, which allow you to grind for the more expensive things at a slightly faster rate, and they also sell a monthly membership which comes with these boosts as well as some specific camo, rims, decorations, that may not be available for the public yet.

It's a great F2P model and I hope that they add to it.

Thanks for the advice, btw.

Made a custom res @ 2880 x 1224p and am going at 30+ FPS. With the enhancements being made to optimization in January's patch, this is going to be nice. Also am using Bicubic Sharpen to downsample. Seems to be alright enough for me.
iWPq8PY6KYude.png

idESnK1LOf5OA.png

Spazznid

Quite honestly the most beautiful game I've ever played.

I can only imagine what the next continents will look like in motion and then the next ones, and the new vehicles, and if they implement water-based inter-continental travel/battle, then that as well.

SoE has all my monies. They've become one of the few devs that I completely trust in the matter of PS2's last two months of beta.

is4lPnZzD6wWw.png

Luthos

I played some Planetside 2, and even with some things turned down (mostly shadows and shit), it looks amazing.

But still, as a guy who plays video games a lot, I feel so utterly lost in what the hell is going on. I can barely figure out where the action is, the priority on where to go, what to do, when to do it, etc.

Spazznid

I played some Planetside 2, and even with some things turned down (mostly shadows and shit), it looks amazing.

But still, as a guy who plays video games a lot, I feel so utterly lost in what the hell is going on. I can barely figure out where the action is, the priority on where to go, what to do, when to do it, etc.

All you need do is press "P" and look for any group that is either 10-11/12 players full, or one that mentions outfit or platoon.

That's it. Seriously. Don't walk anywhere. Just do that as soon as you're in the game. Normally, when you join the squad/platoon, you'll have a list of other squadmates next to your minimap. Above that, there may be something along the lines of "Press [insert] to spawn on your squad leader".

If so, the go ahead and press [insert]. If not, then press [M] for the map and on the left there should be an "instant action" spawn list. One of them will be your squad's leader. Click that and then click deploy and wait for the timer to count down from 10.

Either of these will spawn you on, or as close as possible to your squad leader, who should be putting waypoints on the map for where you should go next. If it's a good group, there will be a lot of communication. And if you need more help, join an "Outfit" (guild) and get on their Teamspeak or Mumble. Ask questions. Even when you don't know where to go, you can have heaps of fun in PS2 just goofing off. (New Cong Scum)

Corky are you running at 3600x2025 ontop of renderquality set to 1.41? o_O

It's pretty easy to figure out Planetside 2. Your basic objective is to take over the entire continent you're on. As an example, I'm VS (purple people) so when I spawn into the game, I usually move towards any contested area or border area between the two factions and help the squads out there take over whatever place we're at. If you're not squad up press INSERT to auto join a squad, follow them. When you're in enemy facilities destroy generators, hack terminals (if you're infiltrator class), capture control points (stand near them until they change to your faction's colors). All of these will give you much more XP than killing people. XP ranks you up and gives you certification points. Use your certifcation points to purchase new guns, armor paintjobs, weapon modification...basically everything. Taking over and maintaining facilities also gives you resources (ala a RTS) these resources allow you to spawn vehicles (3 kinds of resources, air, land and infantry. Air - your air vehicles, land...your land vehicles, infantry - MAX class, grenades, ammo). If you're ever lost on where to go or what to do "M" key is your best friend, it'll show you battle hotspots and let you deploy there to join in the fight, it'll show you where your factions area is being encroach on and where your guys are making the push. If you mouse over any area it'll show you the breakdown between your faction's troops and any opposing faction's troops. You can and are encouraged to change classes at will depending on what class is needed for what's currently happening (example being, it'd be pointless to spawn as infiltrator in close quarters combat situation).

Protect your sunderer, they're easy to spot on your map. They're the big vans, they allow people to deploy where it sits and change their gear layout. They're pretty essential to taking over anything. If you see an enemy's sunderer...take it out, it makes it that much harder for them to respawn in quick succession and gather a sizable force.

Loginius

I must be the only one who thinks PS2 isnt all that stunning, I like the effects (that blur!) and shaders but the actual geometry is very baren and 90% of the maps are quite empty.
Spazznid´s shots are awesome though.

MrBig

I must be the only one who thinks PS2 isnt all that stunning, I like the effects (that blur!) and shaders but the actual geometry is very baren and 90% of the maps are quite empty.

This is what I love about it, they didn't feel the need to clutter up the environments. They took a much more open, natural approach to it rather than feeling the need to fill up every sector of the continent with random things with these 3 continents, which lends itself very well to dynamic encounters versus funneled or forced stuff between the primary facilities, and it's all finely crafted and detailed. There will be other continents for the high noise stuff.

Spazznid

Honestly, while I can agree, I believe that's all for a reason.

For someone who is new, the game seems empty, and it feels like there's nothing going on. In games like battlefield, you have some small areas of the map where nobody goes, but it's all relatively action-packed, unless you stay at base. But Planetside is a different beast, I've found....

For someone who knows what to do, where to go, and how to play, the maps may seem very active. You have to remember that this is a war raging between three factions sizing in the 1000+s. If you play for a while you realize that every square inch of the maps is used, and like me, you begin noticing places you've been before and eventually know parts of the mpa by heart. These maps are many times the size of Caspian Border, mind you and as a comparison, I'll say that there are parts of that map I've never been to and likely never will go.

Every hex area in Planetside 2's maps are used and each battle feels significant and distinct, due to the fact that you aren't always fighting in the same place, or the same direction, or the same team, or the same level (Infantry, Vehicle, or Air).

There are some notable areas that are centers for the biggest fights, such as The Crown, but these places are where all the other battles culminate and eventually end up, or start from. It's a very different kind of game, but I love it. If anything there could be more space between some areas.

((Also of note is that Continents like Esamir are made with fewer bases and more open space to promote tanks, AA, and Larger-scale battles at bases. This was in response to Indar having a lot of bases and fewer large-scale battles. Amerish, for me, is the happy medium. I can't wait to see the next Continents))

Loginius

I wasnt talking about the gameplay, I too think modern shooters tend to mess up mapdesign because they try to put shit everywhere in order to make the map look good.

My point was that I just dont see why people go "wow that looks like next gen" when the only stunning thing I see are the effects in a quite baren world.
That said it was a good call by the developers to put their graphical resources in a place where they dont mess up the map.

Spazznid

I wasnt talking about the gameplay, I too think modern shooters tend to mess up mapdesign because they try to put shit everywhere in order to make the map look good.

My point was that I just dont see why people go "wow that looks like next gen" when the only stunning thing I see are the effects in a quite baren world.

The scale.

This game could easily outshine Battlefield 3 in a lot of areas and it has 2000 players per map. And it lags less( at least for me). Add in the fact that there's Area, Squad,Platoon, AND Outfit Voice chat (Inb4 "it sucks" it's loud, turn it down).

Add to THAT, the fact that it's free and every piece of anything you can buy, is purchasable with currency earned in-game.

Also the lighting is amazing, My guns reflect the ground, as well as any dynamic lights, Shadows can be over a few miles long and still not be pixelated, as well as being dynamic. Constantly changing time of day/night. Motion blur that could easily match what's used in movies. The developers that literally listen to feedback.(Mhigby responded to This Picture by saying they are working on most of the changes and that he'd send a copy of it to the design team... This was a user-made suggestion on reddit...)

The game just "feels" good. I suggest playing the game and, after learning the ins and outs, re-evaluate. I agree that it's not going to visually match "Next Gen", but it stylishly dusts "this gen", and then some. I believe if this could run and was on a PS3, WiiU, or 360, it would be considered a "Killer App" (to use a last gen phrase).

Corky

Also Is there a comparison of the different types of downsampling methods? If not, then I may make one...

Not that I know of but I'm thinking if we have a downsampling thread here on gaf, if not it would be quite nice to make one since I'm sure many don't know how to do it or think it's probably cumbersome to do. Filled with comparison pics and whatnot.

Corky are you running at 3600x2025 ontop of renderquality set to 1.41? o_O

Nah, but those first set of pics where from using 3600x2025 and 2.0 renderquality, 4 times the resolution ( 7400x4050 ) but like I mentioned : unplayable of course.

Nah, but those first set of pics where from using 3600x2025 and 2.0 renderquality, 4 times the resolution ( 7400x4050 ) but like I mentioned : unplayable of course.

This part is really interesting. Then Planetside 2 has a built in supersampler (downsampler in this case). That is awesome! Cannot wait till my RMA comes back to test this out!

Corky

This part is really interesting. Then Planetside 2 has a built in supersampler (downsampler in this case). That is awesome! Cannot wait till my RMA comes back to test this out!

Extrapolating my performance, I'm led to believe that in order to get 30 fps at that resolution you'll need AT LEAST three 680s if SLI scaling is 0.9 or better. So yeah...lol.

More planetside, I'm roleplaying a future version of Frank West, covering wars you know?

planetside22012-12-18ijuu4.png

planetside22012-12-18n0u86.png

Top Bottom