• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
Also, I would plan on playing with 3 or 4 players for Argent. 5 is just too many and the game takes forever; I've done it a few times now, both against my better judgement (usually last-second joiners). 'Mancers even pushes it to 6 players IIRC, but there is zero chance I would ever play that many, the game is too huge. There is very little time scaling, so each additional player increases the round length pretty significantly.

I have 'Mancers from the first kickstarter and haven't even opened it TBH. There is so much in the base game it's just not necessary right away.
Is 2-player bad? Most of my chances would be 2-player or maybe 3-4 occasionally.

Dreavus

Is 2-player bad? Most of my chances would be 2-player or maybe 3-4 occasionally.

I haven't player 2 and I'm not sure how it works. In 3+ the game is all about getting the most of something (a resource, or cards of a certain school/colour) to win that "vote" towards winning the game. In 2, I could see a lot of accidental vote wins where neither player is really "going for" the resource but one wins it by a couple tokens anyway. I'm not sure if there are special 2p rules or not.

Backed argent at $100 and my 6 player pack of telestrations came in. Was cheaper to get 2 6 packs then the 12 pack with my walmart discount but I don't need 12 right now.

Blizzard

Banned
I backed Argent at 60 but it's so tempting to do 100. I need more people to tell me the expansion is bad, since the options and Technomancy sound cool. :p

I backed Argent at 60 but it's so tempting to do 100. I need more people to tell me the expansion is bad, since the options and Technomancy sound cool. :p

JUST DO IT!

If you don't get it inevitably a time will come where a group will ask if you have them to try and you won't

Keasar

More options is always fun?

And I like to see Level99 games and their efforts funded as they make some really neat games. Still hyped to see how their next big box game, Seventh Cross, is going to play.

More options is always fun?

Not if those options make the game worse. I stand by my recommendation to not get the expansion. Not to mention they are just charging you retail for it. You could pick it up later, pretty easily if for some reason you end up playing argent 50+ times and decide you need an entire other color to mess with and make the scoring less tight and predictable.

My mass drop of smash up arrived

DFSdhdlXYAE16un

I'm gonna need a lot more card sleeves

andor.. yay or nay?
I'm budgetng for the months to come and planning what to get for the upcoming month(s) :)

can it be solo-ed? (big question)
if not, if the game is very good, i'll still buy it, it's just that it force me to ask my gf to play or to "forcefully" rope my friends into playing :)

Andor is like a giant puzzle. I actually only play it solo now, the one or two time I played it as coop the person I played with hated it because he was expecting dice fest dude on the map combat. It's a good puzzle game if you are into that with nice theme but if you are looking for something like Descent this is not it.

So my smash up "complete collection" is a bit out of date and doesn't have the two most recent expansions (the set that rips off everything and what were we thinking) but still it's a ton of stuff. I'm gonna need A LOT more sleeves half my decks are still unsleeved.

The middle section is the "doesn't play nice with others" area since smash up cthulu and munchkin add unique mechanics/cards to the game that everyone basically has to have one of those factions or be gimped.

Played my first game of Robinson Crusoe tonight with 2 friends. We also used the dog.

Ended up winning pretty handily so I won't use any of the easier variants in future. We were insanely lucky with out rolls in ten turns, we didn't draw a SINGLE adventure card from the event deck, doing blind shuffles.

Really looking forward to playing again but I feel like they may not have enjoyed it as much as me.

Played my first game of Robinson Crusoe tonight with 2 friends. We also used the dog.

Ended up winning pretty handily so I won't use any of the easier variants in future. We were insanely lucky with out rolls in ten turns, we didn't draw a SINGLE adventure card from the event deck, doing blind shuffles.

Really looking forward to playing again but I feel like they may not have enjoyed it as much as me.

I remember the first scenario is super difficult and we only succeed once or twice after may be 8 or 9 games. That said I think the game is much better as solo or 2 player more than that it's can get pretty tedious. Also I don't know how you not drawing any adventure card because some event card put adventure token on the deck and you will have to draw adventure card regardless if you roll the dice or not.

I am currently trying to learn First Martian. I thought it would be easy to learn since I have experience with Robinson but I found First Martian to be even more fiddly and less intuitive. So far I packed it back up twice from frustration with the board that while pretty to look at, is not very functional for conveying about what action you are taken or can take.

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone with high shipping for Argent, the dev recommends backing at $1 so they know how many people are in different regions. That might allow them to lower the shipping cost later, since they can't lower it while the project is running.

So I'm an idiot I didn't realize the 6 player telestrations game only has 6 pages per flip book :X guess I'll have to spend more money on the party pack 12 player version since 6 isn't nearly enough pages.

For anyone with high shipping for Argent, the dev recommends backing at $1 so they know how many people are in different regions. That might allow them to lower the shipping cost later, since they can't lower it while the project is running.
Noted, I'll pledge 1 euro then...

I think I like the idea of Space Hulk Death Angel more than playing it. :/ I think want a game like it that is more strategic and less tactical. It's Ameritrash in the best and worst ways

I remember the first scenario is super difficult and we only succeed once or twice after may be 8 or 9 games. That said I think the game is much better as solo or 2 player more than that it's can get pretty tedious. Also I don't know how you not drawing any adventure card because some event card put adventure token on the deck and you will have to draw adventure card regardless if you roll the dice or not.

I am currently trying to learn First Martian. I thought it would be easy to learn since I have experience with Robinson but I found First Martian to be even more fiddly and less intuitive. So far I packed it back up twice from frustration with the board that while pretty to look at, is not very functional for conveying about what action you are taken or can take.

Sorry, I meant that every time we would shuffle adventure cards into the event deck, we were lucky and never ended up with an adventure card on top. The deck was filled with adventure cards we were just insanely lucky to never have to resolve any.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have no idea why I order from MM over CSI.

Package was in Indy yesterday. But apparently it's going to keep traveling the US until Friday. It's already down in KY. I suspect it will make rounds before finally stopping here BACK in Indy. -_-

Neverfade

Yo.

Werewords.

Yooooooo.

Buy that Werewords.

Will have to get another few nights of this in but huge hit. Might be my favorite "One Night" type party game.

Protome

I never see this game in stock anywhere around here and no one in my game group own this game. I want to try it.

I was originally going to back the kickstarter and skipped it because I thought it might be a little heavy for my group. A friend of mine picked it up though so we played his copy. It's a really smart worker placement game that really leans into its theme in a really funny way and is just generally awesome.

My only one big issue with it would be that it doesn't have much of a direction for players to start with. Something Stonemaier's other games like Scythe and Viticulture do really well just by giving you some kind of goal card to start with but after a couple of rounds the path to victory becomes pretty clear
or at least it did for me, because i won.

Corbec

Neo Member
Played Pandemic (base version, not legacy) for the first time at the weekend - really enjoyed it!

Need to resist springing for Legacy straight away...

What does On the Brink add? I don't like vanilla Pandemic that much but love Legacy.

To my knowledge the main changes are in 3 modules

1) a 5th disease that behaves differently from the other 4 and must also be cured to win the game.

2) the ability to make one disease even more dangerous after the first epidemic card is pulled and has a bit of randomness to how this enhanced disease spreads

3) a 1 vs all role in the form of the bio terrorist who is trying to further the spread of infection making pandemic potentially a 5 player game

Karkador

Banned
Don't forget new roles / abilities, which does change a lot.

I don't know if I could say everything in On the Brink is a winner, but there's definitely stuff in Legacy that stinks.

I just think there's a lot of replay and mechanics to explore in Pandemic + On the Brink, before jumping into the Legacy scenario.

EYEL1NER

The new version of Captain SONAR that plays 2-4 people seems like it might be a winner. I'm gonna have to pick that up for sure. I haven't gotten around to getting Captain SONAR yet because I know it'll never get played.

Izayoi

Banned
Does anyone have any good board game blogs/podcasts that they read/listen to?

BGG and r/boardgames are nice, but at some point it becomes a hopeless unfiltered stream of consciousness and I'd like something a little more curated/long form/in-depth... if that makes sense.

BGG and r/boardgames are nice, but at some point it becomes a hopeless unfiltered stream of consciousness and I'd like something a little more curated/long form/in-depth... if that makes sense.

Have you checked out dice tower? I've not had a chance to listen to any of their pod casts but considering most of them are just audio versions of the videos I watch they should be excellent.

zeeaykay

My two favorites are currently Opinionated Gamers and Space Biff. I really like opinionated gamer because of how large their staff is and how often they update. Their reviews are great because you get multiple opinions and summaries/scores for everyone who played the game.

Space Biff writes great reviews and does a good mix of lesser known and popular stiff.

KJ869

Shut up and sitdown podcast. Like It lot more than their reviews

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
MM shipping strikes again. Moved to Saturday from Friday. Has anyone else had issues shipping through them? I bought Fortune & Glory because I like trash, but I won't be able to play it this week apparently.

MM shipping strikes again. Moved to Saturday from Friday. Has anyone else had issues shipping through them? I bought Fortune & Glory because I like trash, but I won't be able to play it this week apparently.

Did you choose their economy shipping option? Cause that is completely random

Whatever their free shipping is...The same shit I get with CSI whenever I order with them. CSI comes in like 3 days. MM is going to take over a week and that's dumb.

CSI uses regular ground, MM uses a smart post service, which takes longer. It's one of those cheaper bulk services where they have to gather a bunch of packages in a bulk before it goes out, saving shipping for all who participate but it just slows things down. You got to pay for regular ground shipping with MM..... so yea MM free shipping is garbage

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
CSI uses regular ground, MM uses a smart post service, which takes longer. It's one of those cheaper bulk services where they have to gather a bunch of packages in a bulk before it goes out, saving shipping for all who participate but it just slows things down. You got to pay for regular ground shipping with MM..... so yea MM free shipping is garbage

Noted. I'll definitely avoid MM in the future (unless I'm willing to pay for shipping). It makes sense why they charge a little less than CSI now that you mention that. Free shipping threshold is the same, games are cheaper, shipping is worse. Pay a few bucks more at CSI and get massively improved shipping.

Experien

I'll admit CSI is slightly quicker but I have no issue with MM. Usually it will tell me a delivery date and it is one or two days earlier than FedEx says. Only once or twice did it seem to take some time and they warned me upfront when making the order.

Noted. I'll definitely avoid MM in the future (unless I'm willing to pay for shipping). It makes sense why they charge a little less than CSI now that you mention that. Free shipping threshold is the same, games are cheaper, shipping is worse. Pay a few bucks more at CSI and get massively improved shipping.
I always got stuff within two days when i lived in Champaign which is pretty close to Indy. Every once in a while smart post takes longer but it's almost always the fault of USPS.

I have an order waiting with them that's been over a week to get to me. I'm not in a rush, so I'm fine ordering with them sometimes cause it is cheaper. CSI is in same state so shipping can sometimes be next day almost, but they are a little higher priced and I got to pay tax on CSI orders so I'll use MM only when I'm not in a rush.

ultron87

I got to play Yokohama last week. I was initially a little concerned by the 25 separate action boards that are laid out during setup, and the AP that they could conceivably cause but it actually flowed pretty well once everyone got into it. It had a satisfying curve that a lot of those good economic games have of ramping up -> getting points -> the end game, but it didn't really stand out a ton from various other similar games. I'd play it again but don't really have any desire to own it or anything.

I realized while playing it, that my favorite part in any of those games is when the end game is approaching and you're able to map out your final turns. I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out how to use every last little resource and action available to you to get as many points as possible.

Guess I am in a sweet spot between CSI & MM.

My main issue with CSI is too many packing peanuts.

Always so many peanuts!

Top Bottom