• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Protome

Have you guys played any releases from this year that feel like must-play games to you? Trying to not leave all my GOTY prep until the end of the year this time, because that just results in me only playing half a game of Scythe and not considering it eligible for anything.

I've played Star Wars Rebellion 3 times in the past couple of weeks, damn it is such a great game with deep strategic play. Feels just like being in the original trilogy once you know what you're doing.

There was a space game that came out last year, a 4x that doesn't have one of the x's (the combat part). Does anyone know of the name or anything about it? I like Eclipse but I'm probably gonna sell it because no one in our game group likes the exterminate part as much but loves other stuff about these games.

Man, someone had mentioned Miniature Market having gone down hill a bit, and they were right. Ordered something Thursday, still hasn't shipped. I even called this morning to ask about it, and they said it would get shipped today and they'd up the shipping for free. But nope, no shipping yet. :\

joelseph

Got the first expansion to Terraforming Mars in the mail and was shocked when it was just a board. ha!

Barenpark is a huge hit with the wife and I. Need to setup Tiny Epic Quest soon. Baseball Highlights continues to see lots of play. That's it for now. Kind of sad I'm not going to Gen Con for the first time in many years but it's for the better anyways. All I would do is buy more games. Everyone have fun!

Blizzard

Banned
Congrats!
Also, I played Tiny Epic Quest in a 4-player game over the weekend at game night. It seemed to go well and the game host liked it. Sadly I tried to go for a low-magic strategy and scored in last place. Getting your spell level high seems pretty much required to do well in a 4-player game. It's interesting how some things change between 2-player and 4-player because you get to only choose 1 movement type in 4-player and thus have less control over whether you can complete quests.

Unfortunately, I am a tiny bit bummed about how game nights have become. I've been friends with the host and several of the people who attend for years, and they're nice. The rest of the people tend to be random coworkers of various tastes and social skill levels. Overall though, there tends to be a lot of time spent with people randomly sitting around talking or snacking instead of playing, or actively interrupting a game to get a snack. Then you have to wait for them to get back. Then someone else leaves because they took too long, and now you have to wait for them to get back. etc.

I don't want to be a GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS person but it does make me a little sad that I'm in the minority for wanting to actually play games, and not take forever when it's my turn.

Another thing is that a LOT of the people there seem to lean towards only playing games they already know. One guy plays new games sometimes, but it tends to only be co-op versus boss games. The host's wife and several other people tend to play the Harry Potter deck builder game a LOT, which boggles my mind. This is like the 6th or 7th time I've seen it out, and it takes up the nicest table, and I have to think the game would be old by now, even if they houserule some of the mechanical issues. Meanwhile, it's hard for me to convince anyone to even try learning, say, Valley of the Kings. Some people may also literally glance at a game box or board and decide they won't even wait to see how it plays. One guy was like "This looks like a game that's too much work for my time to learn" or whatever...and the same guy was then on his phone distracting players who WERE playing a game by showing them funny pictures from Reddit. Like, if your time is so valuable, why are you at a night that's literally supposed to be about playing board games?

Vent over. :/ Long story short, only a few people are into the sort of more complex games I like (e.g. Tiny Epic Quest or heavier), and only a few seem really interested in learning new games.

EYEL1NER

I just got done playing a quick game of Kingdomino with the family a bit ago. It was definitely good and I can easily understand why it won the Spiel des Jahres: It is nice to look at, plays in 15 minutes, is easy to teach and grasp, and is a fun game. My wife hit 59 points, I got 52, and my daughter got 37.

Barnes and Noble finally dropped their clearance stuff down to 50% off today, so I went in and grabbed Onitama and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival. I read the rules real quick for both and they seem like they'll be good.

Blizzard

Banned
That sucks, man. Have you talked to the host at all in-depth about the issues you have?
Not really, but I do usually have some fun, and mostly I just don't want to cause drama. He's a laid back guy and I don't think he would enjoy trying to push rules on people.

There's a game store in the area that does game nights but my fiancé's exboyfriend AND her friend's exhusband hang out there so that's not happening. :p

The phone guy was new. If he does that very often I'll probably mention it to the host.

Moobabe

I had this recently. My group really wanted to try DnD while we were on holiday but the flow of it was completely broken. People getting up to get drinks or snacks, two guys going out for cigarettes EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES - it completely broke up the flow of the story and the whole thing ended up taking twice as long as it should have.

Not really, but I do usually have some fun, and mostly I just don't want to cause drama. He's a laid back guy and I don't think he would enjoy trying to push rules on people.

There's a game store in the area that does game nights but my fiancé's exboyfriend AND her friend's exhusband hang out there so that's not happening. :p

The phone guy was new. If he does that very often I'll probably mention it to the host.

Try looking for a further game store? I have to drive an hour to mind it's shitty but the store is so great it makes the drive worth it.

Keasar

I had this recently. My group really wanted to try DnD while we were on holiday but the flow of it was completely broken. People getting up to get drinks or snacks, two guys going out for cigarettes EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES - it completely broke up the flow of the story and the whole thing ended up taking twice as long as it should have.

The worst. Constant smoke breaks and constantly coming back smelling awful. Damn close to making it a rule to never play with a smoker.

sneaky77

I don't want to be a GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS person but it does make me a little sad that I'm in the minority for wanting to actually play games, and not take forever when it's my turn.

I tend to agree, you can chat while playing, let's keep it moving. Although I feel lately my meet up group has evolved into 90% social deduction games every time, which gets a little old at times.

panty

Okay I need to vent but how hard is it to find Love Letter Batman in Europe priced decently?! What's up with that game. Not a single copy on BGG Market...

Sell me the game please

Vent over. :/ Long story short, only a few people are into the sort of more complex games I like (e.g. Tiny Epic Quest or heavier), and only a few seem really interested in learning new games.

I think you just need to find a group of that have the same taste and gaming habit that you do. I am lucky to found this little group where there are 2-3 people including the host that love to try out new games all the time. I think the issue is that non-hard core gamers see this board game activity as social gathering more so than playing game. They game for social reason, to talk to eat and drink but you on the other hand are there mainly to play game first. It took me going to several MeetUp before I found one that fit what I like to do with my free time.

zeeaykay

Anyone have any experience with Lancaster? I've had my eye on it for a while and both the original and Big Box edition have been on sale for around $20 and $50, respectively. Sold off a couple of my older games so I'm tempted to buy it with the profits!

Lupercal

Banned
Anyone have any experience with Lancaster? I've had my eye on it for a while and both the original and Big Box edition have been on sale for around $20 and $50, respectively. Sold off a couple of my older games so I'm tempted to buy it with the profits!

Only played the original but at 20$ it's a steal.

EYEL1NER

Does anyone recommend Five Tribes? I've been looking into buying it.
It seems like it's good. I wouldn't know; my group informed me that none of them were interested in trying it after I learned how to play it and brought it to several sessions. I've read the rules and watched multiple videos and am almost positive that I would really enjoy it.

joelseph

Does anyone recommend Five Tribes? I've been looking into buying it.

I absolute love the game and will keep it in my collection forever but I find it is a hard sell. Specially after people play it! It's such a brain burner and can be pretty chaotic. People can feel lost down the rabbit hole trying to figure out their next move only to have it change over and over before it's actually their turn again. On one hand you try to plan out a strategy and on the other it's just chaos trying to figure out the best move now. I enjoy the puzzle nature of the game. Plays well at lower player counts.

To be more specific, I want a game that bridges between the games my group loves (DC Deck Building/Potion Explosion) and the ones I love (Terra Mystica/Terraforming Mars) in terms of complexity and game lenght.

zeeaykay

I enjoyed Five Tribes when I played it, but it didn't have enough direct (and some people will dispute this) player interaction for me to want to play it over other games. There's just so much to analyze that it's hard to know whether what you're doing will affect another player. The board completely changed almost every round so it's incredibly difficult to plan ahead. I sold it and don't regret it, though I understand why it's one of many people's favorite games.

Shadow, I've had a lot of success with Viticulture as a next level gateway game.

Karkador

Banned
To be more specific, I want a game that bridges between the games my group loves (DC Deck Building/Potion Explosion) and the ones I love (Terra Mystica/Terraforming Mars) in terms of complexity and game lenght.

Maybe check out Stone Age, Hansa Teutonica, or Jorvik (Stefan Feld's retheme/remake of Speicherstadt).

A mid level eurogame like those starts to approach the kind of multi strategy thinking of a heavy eurogame, but they're still kinda simple and accessible to play, with your options being short and straightforward like Potion Explosion.

EYEL1NER

Hey StoOgE, quick question for you: If I unlock my Dinosaur Island pledge manager and add on a copy of WEDS, will there be more copies of WEDS by the time Dino Island is ready to ship? I know Dinosaur Island is still a ways off and WEDS, if ordered through the pledge manager, will ship at the same time. But I also know WEDS is sold out with a reprint scheduled for the fall. I just temporarily unlocked my pledge manager (made sure to re-confirm it at the end) to look and it says WEDS is like 39% claimed right now and it still gives the option to add a copy. So I guess what I am asking is, if I add a copy, will there be another printing of the game by the time Dinosaur Island is shipping out, or will it cause my Dinosaur Island pledge to be held up waiting for a copy? Or, will adding a copy of WEDS at this point even do anything at all? Will it just be rejected or refunded?

Came home to a couple of new packages.
The Lost Expedition w/promos and Raxxon.

zQkvQ4d.jpg

Looking forward to playing both this weekend!

XShagrath

I had never heard of Inside the Box until today. I tried a couple of episodes of games I'm familiar with, and it's just not for me. I can appreciate the production quality, and the humor elements, but I just want something more to-the-point when watching gaming videos. A quick overview of the rules and maybe a couple turns, and I'm good.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey StoOgE, quick question for you: If I unlock my Dinosaur Island pledge manager and add on a copy of WEDS, will there be more copies of WEDS by the time Dino Island is ready to ship? I know Dinosaur Island is still a ways off and WEDS, if ordered through the pledge manager, will ship at the same time. But I also know WEDS is sold out with a reprint scheduled for the fall. I just temporarily unlocked my pledge manager (made sure to re-confirm it at the end) to look and it says WEDS is like 39% claimed right now and it still gives the option to add a copy. So I guess what I am asking is, if I add a copy, will there be another printing of the game by the time Dinosaur Island is shipping out, or will it cause my Dinosaur Island pledge to be held up waiting for a copy? Or, will adding a copy of WEDS at this point even do anything at all? Will it just be rejected or refunded?

WEDS reprint is a little ahead of Dino Island right now, so we will have more stock before DI ships.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
New Inside the Box is Wasteland Express <3

Started cracking up the train when Jack walks on screen.

Yeah, I super liked the episode. We can't really social media share it because of content, but I personally like all but one joke (the nein nein one was a little off the mark).

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone was interested in Argent: The Consortium 2nd Edition on kickstarter but had high shipping, check the new pledge options. They now have free shipping for the EU, Canada, and Australia.

Top Bottom