• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ah, that makes more sense that you just ignore the market price entirely when completing a black market mission. i'll let the guy know. We were helping him learn it so he can get certified and run demos soon.

I'm curious how long it took someone to figure out the storage system you ended up using.

About 8 months in total of work. To call it an ordeal is an understatement, but I think the end result is definitely worth it.

Karkador

Banned
My groups favorite game is probably Terra Mystica, and I've been looking for a dudes on a map game that had that same level of asymmetry. I know some have pointed to Chaos in the Old World, but the price is essentially the same at this point. Initially I was skeptical - seemed like miniatures justifying the game and not the other way around. However, after doing some research and listening to the latest episode of Ding & Dent it seems like the game is pretty unique and very replayable.

I also recognize there's probably a lot of bias going on - when you pay that much for a game you're probably going to convince yourself it's one of your favorites.

Maybe look into Rex

Neverfade

My groups favorite game is probably Terra Mystica, and I've been looking for a dudes on a map game that had that same level of asymmetry.

Kemet?

Amazing game. Players start symmetrical but that quickly changes as you buy new powers, most of which there is only one copy of.

So thanks to an employee discount and cheaper .com priced I was able to get quixx for $6. Seems like a simple fun dice game I can get my parents to play.

Karkador

Banned
So thanks to an employee discount and cheaper .com priced I was able to get quixx for $6. Seems like a simple fun dice game I can get my parents to play.

Qwixx is a surprisingly good little game, more challenging than it looks, and perfect to play with family and stuff.

I really want to play Space Hulk. Even if I could justify buying it I don't think the SO would go for it.

Sure I have the PC game but the AI is very rudimentary and it looks like no one plays the multiplayer.

Phthisis

If anyone else is interested, just read in the latest Game News on Shut Up & Sit Down about a Kickstarter game called Hands in the Sea. A card driven wargame which is inspired by A Few Acres of Snow which I have been trying to get my hands on for a long time but not able to, so thinking about getting this one instead.

Supposedly pretty good according to BGG.

I backed the first edition a couple years ago. It's really good. Better than AFAoS, IMO. It takes that system and gently smooths out the rough edges while adding a lot of thematic flavor for the time period it's covering. One of the best 2p games of the last couple years for sure.

Is Barenpark worth it's current price tag of $47?

I heard it's good, but there's more meaty games at that price point I'm also considering. Like Champions of Midgar and Clank! I know, all very different games.

Keasar

I backed the first edition a couple years ago. It's really good. Better than AFAoS, IMO. It takes that system and gently smooths out the rough edges while adding a lot of thematic flavor for the time period it's covering. One of the best 2p games of the last couple years for sure.

Thanks, think I am throwing in for a copy then. :)

Experien

I'm trying to start a board game site but finding it very hard to find anyone remotely committed or people who say they want to do something but don't do it (even with gentle reminders).

Not asking people here to join but any idea on how to find people? I am a part of a large board game group and I've asked in there but nothing comes of it.

Karkador

Banned
I'm trying to start a board game site but finding it very hard to find anyone remotely committed or people who say they want to do something but don't do it (even with gentle reminders).

Not asking people here to join but any idea on how to find people? I am a part of a large board game group and I've asked in there but nothing comes of it.

What's the site about?

Is Barenpark worth it's current price tag of $47?

I heard it's good, but there's more meaty games at that price point I'm also considering. Like Champions of Midgar and Clank! I know, all very different games.
No, may be at $25-30 It's fun but very light and not a whole lot to it. Where are you seeing this at $47. Also I try not to compare game just on price point there are multitude of reason why some game cost more or less. I can't stand Champions of Midgard but it is very popular in my game group and with my family. Clank is fun but some if the cards is not well balanced and bum rush strategy took some fun out of the game, however with right players the game is very entertaining.

DTU

Banned
Yep:

DGt0SHgXsAAy8KN.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/894936917128728581

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fallout as a setting does not sell me on a game, but I love a good adventure design. Will keep an eye out.

On the contrary, the setting has piqued my interest more than the concept. Now they need to deliver an above-mediocre game for me to get excited, haha.

Ohnonono

On the contrary, the setting has piqued my interest more than the concept. Now they need to deliver an above-mediocre game for me to get excited, haha.

Are you the other person on here that plays some Runebound 3rd Edition? I enjoy that well enough for a simple adventure game. Make it better than that with not a ton of fiddlyness and I am in.

One thing I couldn't tell from the description was if the game was coop or competitive.

Sounds likely competitive, though it kinda seems like players are doing their own questing through the wastelands, imagine its more of a race to complete the scenario more than anything type of game. Nothing really indicates any coop elements that I can read.

Sounds likely competitive, though it kinda seems like players are doing their own questing through the wastelands, imagine its more of a race to complete the scenario more than anything type of game. Nothing really indicates any coop elements that I can read.

The whole complete the scenario thing is why I wondered if its some kinda weird hybrid since it sounds like one players action can impact everyone postitive or negative.

Bethesda Fallout though...

I mean it's not like Bethesda themselves is making the game so I don't expect my dice to fall through the world or a card not to activate when it's supposed to.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are you the other person on here that plays some Runebound 3rd Edition? I enjoy that well enough for a simple adventure game. Make it better than that with not a ton of fiddlyness and I am in.

I am. I've been meaning to pick up that new co-op/solo expansion since I own everything else already. I think 3e is a lot of fun, but 2e is still the more fun solo experience.

Keasar

I mean it's not like Bethesda themselves is making the game so I don't expect my dice to fall through the world or a card not to activate when it's supposed to.

I'm just being salty, disappointed that Bethesda owns the license and the last two games from them was "meh" while the one good game is made by the company that will never ever make another.

The board game cover doesn't remind me of the good times either.

Karkador

Banned
In Fallout, one to four players take on a role within an irradiated landscape inspired by those in Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and their downloadable content expansions.

Why did they feel the need to specify the 'and downloadable content" part, lol

EYEL1NER

Regular game night was off tonight; the host's wife needed rest (they are about to have a baby any time now). So my wife and daughter played some games with me. In an hour and a half we played a game of Lanterns (our first time playing it), Kingdomino, Roll For It, and then my daughter and I arranged Coconuts into a Coconuts Duo layout and just played that 2P. Pretty fun night. Now to go Redbox Ghost in the Shell and F8 of the Furious.

I'm definitely gonna pay some attention to the Fallout game. It looks interesting to me but I need more info. I'm glad it wasn't an RPG system or LCG or super-miniature-heavy game though.

I played it but can't say that I sold on it. My daughter thought it was super boring, I like it OK but felt there are better adventures game out there. Have you give the new coop expansion a go? My local stores don't seem to carry it.

joelseph

Lost a 1v1 Terraforming Mars at work today. Tried to rush as Cinematic because my Helion opponent was going nuts on production. Few misplays late game kept me from winning Landlord and a few key TM points from final objectives. In the end it wouldn't have mattered because I underestimated my negative VP cards! 80 to 60. One of my lower scoring games.

Over 9000 backers and $450,000 raised for a heavy euro board game is pretty cool in my book.

Is that Founders?

Glad it is doing well (compared to being the latest branded minis in a box ks), but I think there are going to be a lot of copies going cheap once people get their hands on it.

Blizzard

Banned
Is that Founders?

Glad it is doing well (compared to being the latest branded minis in a box ks), but I think there are going to be a lot of copies going cheap once people get their hands on it.
Yep. Do you think people will be turned off because of the heavy euro nature, or because you don't feel it's a good game at its core? For now, I'm happy to support even if I could potentially pick it up second-hand.

So I think I'm going to forgo rushing to the FFG booth for L5R at Gen Con. I'm not playing in a tournament there, and nothing local is going to start until it's released at retail anyway.

Yep. Do you think people will be turned off because of the heavy euro nature, or because you don't feel it's a good game at its core? For now, I'm happy to support even if I could potentially pick it up second-hand.

The heavy euro nature. I just don't see that many people really enjoying that style.

EYEL1NER

The heavy euro nature. I just don't see that many people really enjoying that style.
I'm not predicting that it will happen but I can certainly see it being a possibility. The hype for Gloomhaven is high and a lot of people throw money at any tabletop Kickstarter they see. I think those two things combined are going to lead to a lot of people who get the game, sit down to play it, and say "Ugh, what is this?"

Deadstar

Anyone have any recent thoughts on Cthulhu Wars? Really wondering if I should back the kickstarter. I understand the game is overpriced and ridiculous, but if you throw that out the window, is the gameplay fun and is there a lot of replay value? It seems like it has a lot of great reviews and people seem to like it.

Top Bottom