• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Keasar

If anyone was interested in Argent: The Consortium 2nd Edition on kickstarter but had high shipping, check the new pledge options. They now have free shipping for the EU, Canada, and Australia.

A Kickstarter with free shipping to Europe?

What devilish forces are at work here!?

chifanpoe

WEDS reprint is a little ahead of Dino Island right now, so we will have more stock before DI ships.

StoOgE how is it looking for DI shipping to US before September? I am in the processing of buying a new house but wont close until 2nd week of September or so.

Aaron

Finally got to play Ethnos tonight, and it might be my favorite Euro style game. It's light and easy to teach, but has enough depth and strategy to keep things interesting for a brisk hour. Turns go by quick for the most part so I never felt much in the way of downtime. Wish it didn't take as long to set up, but otherwise a great game.

I finally opened up a copy of Forbidden Island I've had on the shelf for months and played with my wife. Really easy to learn, and we had a blast. We won at the end, though most of the island had sunk. Oh, and our kittens tried to eat the treasure pieces.

Babalu.

so forbidden island or forbidden desert?

my friends are only just starting to get into games. so far weve done catan, pandemic, king of tokyo.

we all played pandemic for the first time yesterday, and we won on hardest with 6 epidemics on our 4th game. almost won the 3rd game but we were 2 cards short from last guy curing the last disease.

so were super new and basic. i just bought flashpoint: fire rescue for next time.

i'm leaning towards desert since it seems a little more strategic than island. anyone played both and would recommend one over the other? Just as a light game.

my friends are only just starting to get into games. so far weve done catan, pandemic, king of tokyo.

we all played pandemic for the first time yesterday, and we won on hardest with 6 epidemics on our 4th game. almost won the 3rd game but we were 2 cards short from last guy curing the last disease.

so were super new and basic. i just bought flashpoint: fire rescue for next time.

i'm leaning towards desert since it seems a little more strategic than island. anyone played both and would recommend one over the other? Just as a light game.

Forbidden Desert.

FI feels a little bit like Pandemic-lite, to a certain degree.

FD has a few different mechanics that makes it feel totally different, and the theme and how things work are pretty neat.

Island is super straight forward and seems like it could be prone to quarterbacking. My wife and I enjoyed it, but we both agreed that we want something a little meatier. From what I read online, Desert seems to have a bit more going on than Island.

Babalu.

awesome. that just confirmed that island looked a little bit too basic for us. So i will go with desert. Thanks for the opinions.

Does anyone recommend Five Tribes? I've been looking into buying it.
It's a good game but not great if you get what I mean. It's fun to play but there are other games I rather play before. That said it's good gateway game that add more complexity but easy to understand mechanic. My wife who is not a big gamer really like it. It got a bit of Mancala mechanic and a bit of set collection.

Ronabo

Anyone that is interested in the upcoming FFG version of Legend of the Five Rings, the put up the rule books today.

JesseZao

Island is super straight forward and seems like it could be prone to quarterbacking. My wife and I enjoyed it, but we both agreed that we want something a little meatier. From what I read online, Desert seems to have a bit more going on than Island.

Island is certainly easier.

swoon

we moved on to Burgle Bros pretty quickly after trying Island/Desert

It's a good game but not great if you get what I mean. It's fun to play but there are other games I rather play before. That said it's good gateway game that add more complexity but easy to understand mechanic. My wife who is not a big gamer really like it. It got a bit of Mancala mechanic and a bit of set collection.
So far everyone that has recommended this game, has a few downsides to bring up. It seems something in me just urges me to buy it despite everything.

On the flip side, Great Western Trail looks very dull to me and I want to want to have it. Seems like everyone raves about it.

Should I look past the theme which I dont find at all appealing?

Five Tribes and Great Western Trail are both aroun the same price, too.

Came home to a couple of new packages.
The Lost Expedition w/promos and Raxxon.

zQkvQ4d.jpg

Looking forward to playing both this weekend!

I'm so jealous. I bought mine on Amazon, and it did NOT come with promos.
It's such a bummer to miss out on exclusive content .. :/

What's the overall impression of Lost Expedition? I keep seeing it pop up in all.my tabletop media now.

From what I've seen, everyone seems to enjoy it.
It has a few modes. Co-op, Head to Head, and Solo.

I've only played it Solo so far, and I like it. I'm not sure how it's going to hold up after 10 or 20 plays. I assume the head to head mode may have the longest legs, but I'd say anyone looking for a solo game will get their money's worth.

sneaky77

They are very very different games.

GWT is much heavier, I really liked it but is brain burny and has plenty of strategies to go around.

Five Tribes is slightly more than a gateway game but is simpler to play although I imagine both games can cause some AP in players prone to it.

So it will depend a lot on your group you play with, I enjoy both, but they are very different imo.

So far everyone that has recommended this game, has a few downsides to bring up. It seems something in me just urges me to buy it despite everything.

On the flip side, Great Western Trail looks very dull to me and I want to want to have it. Seems like everyone raves about it.

Should I look past the theme which I dont find at all appealing?

As sneaky mentioned above, the two are entirely different games. I love Great Western Trail and would play that any day over Five Tribes but that is just me. It's a really heavy, and long game. I don't think it's dull and I really love the theme. You get cattle and herd them up to the railroad station to ship them off what not to like. (Seriously, I perfectly understand why you think it's boring, my daughter only agree to play because there are cows that she can buy and collect. She also despite anything with western theme (must be a generation gap) but she ended up loving the game and even teach it to her brother and cousin).

That said, don't go by what people rave or hype about, go with the games that appeal to you and your group. I love Concordia and I think it's one of the best game out there but I can't get anyone in my play group to play it. The theme just doesn't appeal to them even though I know that the game is the type that they would enjoy (we have similar gaming taste).

My other suggestion is to watch video of game play thorough that will give you some ideas if it's the game for you. Five Tribes is fun and I enjoyed it every time that we played. it's easy to teach to get new people into the game and a nice step up in complexity. Again, only you can decide what game you will like so don't let other opinion sway you.

Played Jorvik last night for the first time, it was okay. The main gimmick of tight money and getting in line to make an auction more expensive for the person in front is cool, but the game just feels a bit scatter shot. The game makes a big deal about having warriors to defend yourself from raids, but raids are incredibly rare and the person who won our game lost vp almost every raid attempt and still won by 15. Not a game I'd buy for myself but I can see it having an appeal with a certain audience.

JSR_Cube

Epic AF is coming back to kickstarter but without the Warhammer Quest mechanics..

Yes, a lot of Warhammer Quest fans wanted a new Warhammer Quest game without the Awful Fantasy theme. Since we are Awful Fantasy, we do Awful Fantasy games. So we decided that we will not be using the Warhammer Quest system. That system will be used by some other publisher in the future for some other game.

Not interested in Epic AF or whatever they have renamed it but interested to see if another publisher uses the old system. That game I will check out.

sneaky77

Epic AF is coming back to kickstarter but without the Warhammer Quest mechanics..

Not interested in Epic AF or whatever they have renamed it but interested to see if another publisher uses the old system. That game I will check out.

I am not sure that reasoning makes any sense...

Hahah no one liked out theme using a popular game system. So now here's our shitty theme without a popular game system

Karkador

Banned

It's like they hate money

sneaky77

I am interested in the old Warhammer Quest card game system. I think there is ton of potential with it and if the game is even generic fantasy without toilet humor then I would be interested.

But they can do that too. They are removing the mechanics and keeping the theme.. which means is a totally different game I guess

Haven't played Terraforming Mars, but I enjoy Scythe quite a bit. I bought the DLC for TTS and recently got the physical copy (with expansion) of the game. It seems overwhelming at first because there's lots of bits and so many options, but it really only takes one play through to really grasp the game. The amount of direct player conflict depends on the play group, so it can be almost pure resource management if your group is less confrontational. The solo automata variant works pretty well also.

Any thoughts on Terraforming Mars or Scythe? I know they're different, but I'm considering both.

I've only played terraforming mars but I loved the game, and that kind of resource management game isn't my kind of thing. The combo of variable player powers and drafting cards that have a ton of variety makes it a very addicting game. It'll feel overwhelming for the first round or two but once it clicks it's brilliant

Aaron

Any thoughts on Terraforming Mars or Scythe? I know they're different, but I'm considering both.
I didn't like Terraforming Mars at all. I think it's really a matter of taste. It's heavy on the engine building and light on the player interaction. I recommend watching a few video reviews first to decide if it's really your thing.

fenners

I didn't like Terraforming Mars at all. I think it's really a matter of taste. It's heavy on the engine building and light on the player interaction. I recommend watching a few video reviews first to decide if it's really your thing.

Terraforming Mars is one of the few games that really splits this thread. People love it. People dislike it. I dislike it. Race for the Galaxy does it much better, in much less time.

On the other hand, Scythe, I think, is well liked. It's one of my favs from the last 18 months.

Olorin

Scythe is one of my favorite games right now. It's an absolutely beautiful game, and replayability is very high, with the variable player powers and slightly different scoring setups. I also really like the included achievement sheet where you can write down the names of the winners in different ways, like winning with $100+ or winning without doing any upgrades, etc.

Experien

Played a bunch of games yesterday.

I don't know why people are so negative about Bloodborne. It is a great push-your-luck, semi-cooperative game. I am absolutely horrible at it and never win, but that is neither here nor there.

zulux21

are there any smaller cheap decent games that have released in europe but not the US yet (particularly i might be able to find it in scotland)

Palmer_v1

Played Wasteland Express last night.

It's got a very daunting unboxing experience initially. One odd thing of note is that you need to keep a bunch of the cardboard sheets that you punched stuff out of. We also might have missed something but we ended up with action counters that didn't seem to have a specific storage slot. We managed to get them in though. The trays do make initial game setup go pretty quickly, which is nice. You could probably be playing 5 minutes after you grab the box off your shelf.

As for the gameplay, it was pretty fun. There's a decent amount of variety in setup to keep it fresh(and we obviously didn't even look at the campaign setups). The way the board is setup, and the way movement works is pretty cool. 90% of the rules made sense to me and were fairly intuitive once we got going. My only worry initially is that it seems like it might be prone to snowballing. Basically, you start with limited resources and storage space. Any damage you take ends up blocking your storage spots, and it costs money and actions to get it fixed in one place. So if you get unlucky in combat early in the game, you've lost half your storage space, 1/3 of your starting funds to repair, and possibly a few turns of driving to get to the repair location. I need(and want) to play it more to see for sure about that.

As for the 10% of the rules I'm unsure about, one of the other guys was going to post on BGG, but I figured i'd ask here in case Stooge knows offhand. Normally, a city might have a demand for say, water. If you deliver it to them, you get paid the market value for water, and replace that demand with a new one. There are smuggling missions though, where you deliver a specific good to a city regardless of their demand. These normally give you $4 and an ally, but we had some doubt on whether you also get market value for the delivered good. So if the smuggled good is different than their demand(if any), do you get quest reward + market value? What if the smuggled good IS their demanded good as well?

I wish I had gotten pictures but my phone was dead.

tl;dr: Wasteland is fun. Deserves some of the hype for sure.

Edit: Just remembered the one thing that did aggravate me. There are three Raider Trucks that move around and act like hazards, and each corresponds to a specific raider faction, but the trucks are identical. They do include some stickers, but there's not really great flat spots to put the stickers, and it really feels like an after thought considering how well thought out everything else is.

Finally went for Great Western Trail over Five Tribes, hoping the gameplay is so good I can look past the theme which doesn't draw me at all, but might grow on me.

Thanks for all the input.

Got a few things for my birthday recently:

Scythe with Expansion (already mentioned)
Lords of Waterdeep
Pandemic Legacy season 1
Mission Red Planet
Heart of Glorm expansion for Mice and Mystics (which I largely solo play)

Played Mission Red Planet this morning with three players and enjoyed it! Fairly easy to pick up, supports up to 6 though I think it might get hectic with that many. Be worth a try though!

I just got done playing a quick game of Kingdomino with the family a bit ago. It was definitely good and I can easily understand why it won the Spiel des Jahres: It is nice to look at, plays in 15 minutes, is easy to teach and grasp, and is a fun game. My wife hit 59 points, I got 52, and my daughter got 37.

Barnes and Noble finally dropped their clearance stuff down to 50% off today, so I went in and grabbed Onitama and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival. I read the rules real quick for both and they seem like they'll be good.

I like kingdomino. Nothing too amazing but pretty chill for the family.

Izayoi

Banned
My copy of Pandemic showed up from Amazon... and either Z-MAN games has some SERIOUS quality control issues, or I ended up with a counterfeit copy. There are lots of telling signs... a misspelling/serious typo on the front of the box, a board that was printed crooked (slightly rotated to the left), super flimsy cards that bend completely out of shape when I shuffle them... Lots of shoddy defects elsewhere too, like symbols that were printed poorly onto the plastic pieces, like the outbreak and cure markers...

Does anyone know if this is par for the course for this game, or did I get ripped off? Purchased from an official Amazon re-seller (offered Prime shipping, lots of positive reviews).

I want to know if I should return this. Kind of sucks... I bought Scythe on Amazon as well and it was definitely an official copy, so I don't know what to think.

Fury451

Banned
My copy of Pandemic showed up from Amazon... and either Z-MAN games has some SERIOUS quality control issues, or I ended up with a counterfeit copy. There are lots of telling signs... a misspelling/serious typo on the front of the box, a board that was printed crooked (slightly rotated to the left), super flimsy cards that bend completely out of shape when I shuffle them... Lots of shoddy defects elsewhere too, like symbols that were printed poorly onto the plastic pieces, like the outbreak and cure markers...

Does anyone know if this is par for the course for this game, or did I get ripped off? Purchased from an official Amazon re-seller (offered Prime shipping, lots of positive reviews).

I want to know if I should return this. Kind of sucks... I bought Scythe on Amazon as well and it was definitely an official copy, so I don't know what to think.

That's not an official copy, I can guarantee it.

EYEL1NER

That definitely doesn't sound like a legit copy. No copy of Pandemic I've ever seen has any of those issues, let alone all of them. I suppose with Pandemic always getting more and more popular and being sold in every big box store now, quality could have decreased as a result of needing to get more copies printed quickly, but I haven't heard anything like that. I'd get a hold of Amazon for sure.

I did have to do some quick research to see if components had switched to all plastic recently, because your outbreak and cure markers being plastic sounded fishy as well. I know the current 2nd Edition that I bought in 2014 has all-wooden components except the disease cubes. It looks like recent they gradually turned more and more components in newer printing to plastic though.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, I guess that settles it. I'm kind of shocked how little information I can find about it online. I've seen reports of some counterfeit euros, like Carcassonne, but no mention of Pandemic (outside of one guy who bought a copy from a street stall in China... lol).

What's even more weird, I checked and it was actually sold by Amazon themselves, no third party involved whatsoever. I'm really curious as to how counterfeits ended up in their supply chain.

I've asked for a replacement copy, so my fingers are crossed. Should be here by Wednesday.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As for the 10% of the rules I'm unsure about, one of the other guys was going to post on BGG, but I figured i'd ask here in case Stooge knows offhand. Normally, a city might have a demand for say, water. If you deliver it to them, you get paid the market value for water, and replace that demand with a new one. There are smuggling missions though, where you deliver a specific good to a city regardless of their demand. These normally give you $4 and an ally, but we had some doubt on whether you also get market value for the delivered good. So if the smuggled good is different than their demand(if any), do you get quest reward + market value? What if the smuggled good IS their demanded good as well?

Edit: Just remembered the one thing that did aggravate me. There are three Raider Trucks that move around and act like hazards, and each corresponds to a specific raider faction, but the trucks are identical. They do include some stickers, but there's not really great flat spots to put the stickers, and it really feels like an after thought considering how well thought out everything else is.

1) The "Smuggling" quests in the mission deck are black market jobs and ignore market price completely. You only deliver as many of the goods as the mission says and get the reward listed on the card only!

2) The truck stickers go on the sides of the truck bed. The short one on the wood side and the long one on the metal side. We put this in the 2nd printing rulebook because we forgot somehow :p

Well, I guess that settles it. I'm kind of shocked how little information I can find about it online. I've seen reports of some counterfeit euros, like Carcassonne, but no mention of Pandemic (outside of one guy who bought a copy from a street stall in China... lol).

What's even more weird, I checked and it was actually sold by Amazon themselves, no third party involved whatsoever. I'm really curious as to how counterfeits ended up in their supply chain.

I've asked for a replacement copy, so my fingers are crossed. Should be here by Wednesday.

Someone probably bought a bootleg copy from China then bought a real one off Amazon and return the fake one to Amazon.

Palmer_v1

1) The "Smuggling" quests in the mission deck are black market jobs and ignore market price completely. You only deliver as many of the goods as the mission says and get the reward listed on the card only!

2) The truck stickers go on the sides of the truck bed. The short one on the wood side and the long one on the metal side. We put this in the 2nd printing rulebook because we forgot somehow :p

Ah, that makes more sense that you just ignore the market price entirely when completing a black market mission. i'll let the guy know. We were helping him learn it so he can get certified and run demos soon.

I'm curious how long it took someone to figure out the storage system you ended up using.

Alright, people. Convince me to (not) buy Cthulhu Wars for $140 from Fun Again Games.

By a similar game for like 1/6th the price?

The game is ok, but it's price tag is completely based on it's stupid sized miniatures. And there is no reason for the game to be so big, it's just the way they sell the game and create wow factor, but it's all just a board game that's been blown up in size for no reason other than to charge more. The same game could have been done for a fraction of the cost with normal sized 28mm or smaller miniatures.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a reminder, Founders of Gloomhaven has about 70 hours left on Kickstarter.

It's a city-building economy euro that only has flavor in common with Gloomhaven, so I'm really curious to see how it ends up being. For now, I have a lot of faith in Isaac to design and deliver a good game for a reasonable price, so we'll see if he goes 2 for 2.

zeeaykay

By a similar game for like 1/6th the price?

My groups favorite game is probably Terra Mystica, and I've been looking for a dudes on a map game that had that same level of asymmetry. I know some have pointed to Chaos in the Old World, but the price is essentially the same at this point. Initially I was skeptical - seemed like miniatures justifying the game and not the other way around. However, after doing some research and listening to the latest episode of Ding & Dent it seems like the game is pretty unique and very replayable.

I also recognize there's probably a lot of bias going on - when you pay that much for a game you're probably going to convince yourself it's one of your favorites.

My groups favorite game is probably Terra Mystica, and I've been looking for a dudes on a map game that had that same level of asymmetry. I know some have pointed to Chaos in the Old World, but the price is essentially the same at this point. Initially I was skeptical - seemed like miniatures justifying the game and not the other way around. However, after doing some research and listening to the latest episode of Ding & Dent it seems like the game is pretty unique and very replayable.

I also recognize there's probably a lot of bias going on - when you pay that much for a game you're probably going to convince yourself it's one of your favorites.

If you can't find a copy of Chaos laying around, then get a copy of Blood Rage. Similar style game for a fraction of the cost, and it's damn good.

Cthulhu Wars is alright game, but frankly it's way overpriced. If price is not a factor for you then just get it. But I got the other two similar style of games for a lot less. CW price is inflated by it's massive size, when it has no reason to be so expensive or that big.

zeeaykay

If you can't find a copy of Chaos laying around, then get a copy of Blood Rage. Similar style game for a fraction of the cost, and it's damn good.
You're probably right.

I finally at the point where I've started selling older games to make way for new ones, so I view each game as a bit of an investment. Cthulhu seems like it would retain its value well. I also think sometimes I want to buy something just so that I stop wasting time thinking about if I should buy it or not haha.

I have Clockwork Wars and have only played it once even though I loved it, and that also plays good with two players (unlike Cthulhu). I should probably just focus on playing that more often instead of buying a new game...

Unless someone wants to tell me it's worth it. 😅

Top Bottom