• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk leads 116 experts calling for outright ban of killer robots

So why didn't America win the Vietnam War?

A country could buy 500 Killbots, and hide them in forests, mountains and other impossible terrain.

It would be the invading country that would have to spend more money attempting to clear them out.

youre asking why didn't america defeat the country that was being backed by both china and the soviet union at the time?

One wonders indeed.

fwiw, you're comparing apples and oranges. killbots will not fight like humans.

NewGame

Banned
no matter what you do Elon , you can't change the future

VJaiTR.gif

TarNaru33

Banned
And you don't think there wont be public outrage if the U.S attempted to destroy entire natural resources and environments?

Even the Vietnam War had the U.S attempting to deforest the country.

No where near the amount of outrage especially if it be construed as a job or economy booster, which it will.

Most did not protest Vietnam because of Agent Orange, they did because their sons and fathers were sent to possible death in a war they thought would be quick.

ZeroGravity

AGITΩ;246581712 said:
Welp, after Playing Horizon, i must agree. Stop before its too late.
Thankfully no one would ever be stupid enough to do what happened in Horizon. It went beyond simple killer robots and involved a number of factors that I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to actually believe someone would come up with.

JordanN

Banned
youre asking why didn't america defeat the country that was being backed by both china and the soviet union at the time?

One wonders indeed.

fwiw, you're comparing apples and oranges. killbots will not fight like humans.

America spends more than every other country on earth on its military.

They haven't solved how to win a guerrilla war that wont inevitably lead to protests.

It's frightening to think how these weapons could be used in the hands of a dictator (or wannabe dictator). Citizens would be at their mercy.

America spends more than every other country on earth on its military.

They haven't solved how to win a guerrilla war that wont inevitably lead to protests.

and how does that relate to the playing field between big and small countries being equal?

I mean this won't do anything anyway. China and Russia and the US will still he building this shit even if there is international mandate, it'll just be in secret.

Oh for certain, no army is going to simply ignore the potential of drones with guns.

I do wonder if(when) the "robots fighting robots" future warfare will occur.

In a fight with guerrillas Killer robots, Its to be assumed the whichever big country would deploy hunter killer robots.

The big country would not send in their own troops, and therefore would not receive the same backlash from prolong fighting. The main casualties would be from civilians caught in the cross fire.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I am maybe a naive idiot but I don't really see how a robot killing a person is more horrifying than having another person to do it.

JordanN

Banned
and how does that relate to the playing field between big and small countries being equal?

I find both points irrelevant, since the war wouldn't be dictated by which side was armed the most, but who could resist the invading one.

For an equal playing field, both robots would be of similar skill level and weaponry. No country would have to worry about an elite force mowing down an army of simple conscripts.
It would be up to the invading country to double their output in order to conquer the smaller country. But again, this is where I mention past guerrilla wars that ended up in the invading country forfeiting because they can't put up with fierce resistance.

Ironically, I feel like Killer Robots would be the key to world peace.

It's like nuclear weapons. They're deadly but no country will invade the other if it means total destruction.

With killer robots, the playing field between big and small countries is equal. Just keep throwing robots at each other until one side depletes their resources. It would also mean no loss of human life because robots are valued more.

That's shortsighted. Eventually, the side with depleted resources would lose, and then be killed/dominated by the other's killer bots.

It would remain decidedly unequal, unless you think poorer countries will be able to program, manufacture and deploy on the same level as the US, China, and Russia.

It would mean the end of conventional asymmetric warfare. Sneak attacks, IEDs, snipers, and suicide bombs wouldn't have the same psychological effect on drones. A larger army could simply wait you out by throwing endless drone chaff at you, and then send in the troops if you survived.

It's about the moral decisions. The idea is that robots would be more indiscriminate.

Not to mention, operating a drone instead of "manually" killing someone in person isn't exactly the protection it sounds like. Sure, you're not in the line of fire, but you still get fucked up and get PTSD.

edit: better article http://www.salon.com/2015/03/06/a_c...ilots_are_quitting_in_record_numbers_partner/

How'd you like to be personally responsible for killing over a thousand people via remote control? Lots of people, obviously, don't take it well at all.

JordanN

Banned
That's shortsighted. Eventually, the side with depleted resources would lose, and then be killed/dominated by the other's killer bots.

It would remain decidedly unequal, unless you think poorer countries will be able to program, manufacture and deploy on the same level as the US, China, and Russia.

It would mean the end of conventional asymmetric warfare. Sneak attacks, IEDs, snipers, and suicide bombs wouldn't have the same psychological effect on drones. A larger army could simply wait you out by throwing endless drone chaff at you, and then send in the troops if you survived.

Lets pretend the war isn't in a vacuum.

Other countries would immediately take interest and either intervene themselves or support the potentially losing side.

Like when Iraq invaded Kuwait. Iraq was bigger but that didn't mean they were going to hold onto it forever. It immediately sparked the interest of the rest of the Middle East to intervene.

Now if another country was caught up in an invasion and the war went underground, don't you think the invading country would be put in a difficult spot when either foreign volunteers start popping up or neighboring countries begin to increase their own defense spending?

digdug2k

Meh. I kinda think killer robots are inevitable and probably more beneficial than awful. There's been plenty of sniper/terrorist situations in recent years where we've sent in huge fucking missiles when a tiny drone with a pistol could probably have done the same job with far less casualties.

You just accountability when they screw up. But fuck, we don't have any accountability when humans screw up right now, so its kinda no difference anyway. i.e. If Musk was risking jail time for any accidents caused by autopilot, I guarantee you you wouldn't have autopilot in your Tesla right now.

WinFonda

It's about the moral decisions. The idea is that robots would be more indiscriminate.

More lethal and capable too. Bots wouldn't hesitate, wouldn't flinch, wouldn't miss. If you shoot a human's arm off, he's probably out of the fight. But if you shoot a robot's arm off, it's still shooting you.

So good luck defending yourself against something that is armored to conventional weapons, is stronger, faster, can jump higher (or take flight), sees you in the dark, sees you behind walls, sees you behind it, sees you a mile away, doesn't know fear or pain, has collective intelligence, and only knows what its programmed to do.

...and so of course it's going to happen...

More lethal and capable too. Bots wouldn't hesitate, wouldn't flinch, wouldn't miss. If you shoot a human's arm off, he's probably out of the fight. But if you shoot a robot's arm off, it's still shooting you.

So good luck defending yourself against something that is armored to conventional weapons, is stronger, faster, can jump higher (or take flight), sees you in the dark, sees you behind walls, sees you behind it, sees you a mile away, doesn't know fear or pain, has collective intelligence, and only knows what its programmed to do.

...and so of course it's going to happen...

Hell, robots don't even need to be humanoid, they can look like anything so you don't even know what you're shooting at or where to shoot at.

FUME5

Nah, Wesker will save us all with complete global saturation, and then we'll kick the shit out of those tin cans.

OmegaFax

So he really just wants to get a blanket waiver on any/all liability on any future fumbles from the Tesla Auto-Pilot program.

I mean this won't do anything anyway. China and Russia and the US will still he building this shit even if there is international mandate, it'll just be in secret.
Same goes for chemical and bio weapons at the moment. A ban is not meant to stop development, but from having those countries use them in their proxy wars.

Van Bur3n

Future wars should just be one country's killer robots versus another country's killer robots and whoever has the better killer robots wins.

EZ PZ

Other countries would immediately take interest and either intervene themselves or support the potentially losing side.

Like when Iraq invaded Kuwait. Iraq was bigger but that didn't mean they were going to hold onto it forever. It immediately sparked the interest of the rest of the Middle East to intervene.

Now if another country was caught up in an invasion and the war went underground, don't you think the invading country would be put in a difficult spot when either foreign volunteers start popping up or neighboring countries begin to increase their own defense spending?

In a hypothetical scenario where the US expands its drone strikes in the ME to include autonomous drones, or Israel started using unmanned bots to patrol the Gaza strip, or Russia deployed them in Crimea, who exactly steps in?

We still have nukes and a unheard of amount of conventional weapons capable of shredding a battlefield or dusting a city, changing the technology and risk wouldn't change that. We'd still be first to have them, have the best engineers, have the best manufacturing, and the best intel on the most effective places to deploy them.

The traditional NATO ally system is still in place. Starting a war with countries within that system is still an assured and complete destruction. Not every country is "lucky" enough to have superpowers step into your civil wars, like Syria and Yemen. Sometimes, you just get bombed into submission with a few meek hypeman jabs from Iran, like Lebanon.

Future wars should just be one country's killer robots versus another country's killer robots and whoever has the better killer robots wins.

EZ PZ

3162030205001_4621803426001_robotjox.jpg

Toparaman

Banned
Weird seeing so many making jokes about this. Killer robots aren't some goofy sci-fi hypothetical. The tech is already here.

And the defeatism in this thread also annoys me. Okay, so it's a near inevitability, so what? We don't even try to change course?

TarNaru33

Banned

You seriously aren't getting it or is refusing to get it despite multiple people explaining it to you.

The comparison to the Gulf War is a great example of how bad you are not getting it. You are talking about Iraq vs an American led coalition. There is no such thing as "equal playing fields" one side is going to have an advantage in some area and making war completely autonomous would largely benefit a larger, more economically powerful country.

There is no "same level of automation" because it is more likely the more wealthy country can afford better automation and gear. The larger side is going to field more and better automated devices and wreck the industry of the smaller nation.

Koren

When I see humans and progress in AI, sometimes, I wonder...

Edit: not to say I support the idea of killer robots... Just saying I'm not sure that a human in the heat of battle is in a good situation to freely think of its actions.

US Police will want one, I'm sure, to avoid having officers killed... At least, skin color is an easy clue for IA :/

Top Bottom