• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Yeah, I gotta agree that clothing design wasn't a strong suit in Xenoblade. I think the outfits they begin the game with are alright, but when you get armour its an 80% chance of being garish or just plain ugly. Hope they can reign in some of the extreme detail and embellishments on the armour.

Ezalc

Yeah, I gotta agree that clothing design wasn't a strong suit in Xenoblade. I think the outfits they begin the game with are alright, but when you get armour its an 80% chance of being garish or just plain ugly. Hope they can reign in some of the extreme detail and embellishments on the armour.

The last party member in Xenoblade gets some of the best armors. THE BEST. The blue one, you people know what I'm talking about.

I dont give shit about sales, a give shit about the quality im playing.
Do you have shares at square?

And you know what. Lets play a game.
X will sell more copies than versus.
You know why? Because versus will sell 0 copies.

Absurd... lol.

When you make a statement like "3 loyal square fans at neogaf" you imply that there are very few people on Gaf that would buy a Square game.

Also.. for every person who is a staunch supporter of Square there is at least one who exaggerates Square's perceived "poor quality" for whatever reason. Both sides of the coin are being extreme.

People should wait for at least more info on X before they praise it as the Second Coming and likewise people shouldn't assume Versus will be a sudden return to form until more is seen from it as well.

Cwarrior

Yeah, what was I thinking?

xenoblade-riki-artwork-2.png

I like the use of colour, I don't see how this is meant to be creepy bad on the level of star ocean, I don't even think it's bad at all.

when I think of creepy bad I think of this

She's creapy otaku bait, skinny 14/15 year old looking j-pop idol(common idole hairdu) wearing some ugly tube top/suit I don't know what to call it.

-Edit it

Arde5643

What comic/graphic novel's that avatar from mate?

ari

Banned
Different people enjoy different things. There are many quality games I don't enjoy, but that says nothing of how good they are.
There is taste, sure. But a good game is a good game no matter if you like it or not.

Again, what was the last great AAA game square put out?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I like the use of colour, I don't see how this is meant to be creepy bad on the level of star ocean, I don't even think it's bad at all.

when I think of bad I think of this

I find it really creepy how anorexic Serah is.

Where's her swimsuit picture? That was even more creepy.

When you make a statement like "3 loyal square fans at neogaf" you imply that there are very few people on Gaf that would buy a Square game.

Also.. for every person who is a staunch supporter of Square there is at least one who exaggerates Square's perceived "poor quality" for whatever reason. Both sides of the coin are being extreme.

People should wait for at least more info on X before they praise it as the Second Coming and likewise people shouldn't assume Versus will be a sudden return to form until more is seen from it as well.

Im talking of the three super defenders that appear on every square thread, even for the most stupid decissions.
Im not talking about any normal square fan, that even know, can defend a game with a good argument.
Very different, and those 3 know who they are, as even mods have laugh of them.

Wow, such a good argument. You dont have to continue please, you won.

Gravijah

I find it really creepy how anorexic Serah is.

You realize that's not exactly an uncommon build for women, right? There are plenty of women who are naturally built that way, and it's messed up to imply that anorexia is the source instead of natural build.

Arde5643

We were talking about costume designs and my point was that this

or this
image-106.png

It also helps that Monolith actually knows how to make characters from the main to the side characters that are actually likable and relate-able to players.

What is it with SQ-Enix and their difficulty in building a main character that is actually likable for once.

Verendus

Banned
1000 times agreed. I hope Baten Kaitos gets a mention in the next Smash at least.
BROFIST!

I hope to see Kalas, Guillo or Sagi.

If anything, the art direction of Xenoblade is generic compared to Baten Kaitos. I really want to see something as lush and vibrant as that, and as creative as that when it comes to the world design, on a HD console.

Eidan

You realize that's not exactly an uncommon build for women, right? There are plenty of women who are naturally built that way, and it's messed up to imply that anorexia is the source instead of natural build.

Anorexic is a bit strong. But if I met a woman that thin, I'd say she should consider revising her diet at least.

MisterHero

I thought they were alright. It's about what I'd expect for Homs clothes made by the different races. The Entia armor had to be pretty exotic to make the connections regarding their heritage.

It was sort of disappointing the best head armor were all eyeglasses.

I think people need a reminder of what FF Versus XIII actually looked like the last time we saw it, TWO years ago:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

I like what I saw of X, but I don't think we should forget that SE doesn't fuck around when it comes to the graphics of its flagship titles. When Versus XIII eventually does release, probably next year, make no mistake, it is going to obliterate X in the graphical department. The music won't slouch either.

Im talking of the three super defenders that appear on every square thread, even for the most stupid decissions.
Im not talking about any normal square fan, that even know, can defend a game with a good argument.
Very different, and those 3 know who they are, as even mods have laugh of them.

Fair enough I suppose. I am new here so I miss the subtleties of this types of things.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Anorexic is a bit strong. But if I met a woman that thin, I'd say she should consider revising her diet at least.

A very common build in Asia. And yeah the women that look like that eat plenty healthy, that's why they look like that, actually.

Shinta

Banned
So quickly has happiness turned to hate with this game's announcement. What a bunch of jokers.

nah, they turned a game announcement into hate for SQEX from the very beginning. Did you even read this thread?

Bunch of crybabies really. Love to shit on SQEX all day long, but if anyone has a dissenting opinion about a game they like they just start losing it.

I didn't even say it looks bad. I do think the characters suck though. Guess that was too much for some to handle.

Man, those Baten Kaitos screens.

Fuck Xenoblade. So overrated. Baten Kaitos Origins is Monoliths crowning achievement.

Can't we love both? T_T

Xenoblade's my second favourite game of all time (... to be honest, possibly #1 without nostalgia), but I still love love love my Baten Kaitos and happily await for its return!

ari

Banned
nah, they turned a game announcement into hate for SQEX from the very beginning. Did you even read this thread?

Bunch of crybabies really. Love to shit on SQEX all day long, but if anyone has a dissenting opinion about a game they like they just start losing it.

I didn't even say it looks bad. I do think the characters suck though. Guess that was too much for some to handle.
Lol.....why are you even defending square so hard?

zeopower6

A very common build in Asia. And yeah the women that look like that eat plenty healthy, that's why they look like that, actually.

That much is true. There are even some Caucasian women with that build who eat normally and sometimes even eat a crapload more than your average person but cannot put on weight. :p

And Square Enix has always been in a different league (aka better) than Monolith Soft and they continue to be. However, the last few years of constant XIII and a lackluster start for XIV has probably soured people's opinions of SE leading to this "Ew! Monolith Soft is so much better because they released ______" mentality. I want the XIII series to just finish up (I want to know what happens in LR) and XV to be announced... after that, all will be well, I think.

If XIII-4 happens though, I'm going to want to smack Toriyama.

Arde5643

I think people need a reminder of what FF Versus XIII actually looked like the last time we saw it, TWO years ago:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

I like what I saw of X, but I don't think we should forget that SE doesn't fuck around when it comes to the graphics of its flagship titles. When Versus XIII eventually does release, probably next year, make no mistake, it is going to obliterate X in the graphical department. The music won't slouch either.

Technically, that's all SQEX has with recent FFs - graphics, combat and music somewhat, nothing else really.

Mlatador

Banned
We were talking about costume designs and my point was that this
ia_xenoblade_vol3_content09_uk.jpg

or this
image-106.png

are not much worse than this

Oerba_Dia_Vanille_FF13_04.jpg

or this

FFXII_vaan%5B1%5D_.jpg

To be honest, I like the first 2 pictures more. Why? Because it doesn't look something straight out of a fucking fashion magazine/fashion show.

It may sound ridiculous, but FFXIII Characters and cloth look WAY TOO STYLISH. In any RPG/JRPG setting I actually prefer clothes that don't look like they're the hottest shit out of THIS WORLD.

Shinta

Banned
Lol.....why are you even defending square so hard?

It's funny that my posts are read like that, considering the utter banality of what I actually said here.

All I said is that they're not incompetent
(I said XIV was a huge mistake, but I guess this opinion isn't allowed. They have to be 100% incompetent).

I said I think they do much better character designs than Monolith
(guess that opinion is not allowed around here, even though someone arguing with me called Yoshida "the best in the business").

I said I think Versus will sell significantly more than X
(it would take an act of God for this to not be true. XIII-2 outsold Xenoblade about 4-20x over depending on the source; and that was with the Wii's huge install base.).

Yeah ... I'm clearly an extremist.

Famassu

I think the connection is that SE is terrible and incompetent at developing HD titles at their internal Japanese studios (save for a few exceptions) whereas a smaller team with fewer resources (Monolith) was able to produce an impressive-looking open world RPG in a reasonable time period.
I don't think they are terrible or incompetent, they are just in a transitional phase. As I said before, Squaresoft already started having problems with PS2 era development. Their development methods weren't efficient enough for the level of audiovisual quality they were aiming for. They didn't really do anything about it during the PS2 generation as they KIND OF still managed to get by (though, as the long & problematic development of FFXII proves, it wasn't without its casualties). That came to bite them in the ass during this generation, as they finally noticed things need to change (so they started to develop the White Engine) but they were a bit too late for it (they should've had the tools done when they announced the games in 2006 instead of two years after), especially since they moved to multiplatform development for one of their biggest franchises.

So... they've been learning (through some failing) how to do things better. I'm simply positive we'll start to see the kind of quality in their home console games as we are seeing in their handheld games. If they can achieve something even half as interesting & good looking as Agni's Philosophy + make it closer to FFXII (but seamless, of course) than X or XIII, then that has the potential to be a very special JRPG (as long as Toriyama is kept away from it).

As for the development cycle, everything you're describing to me shows a company that truly does not have its shit together.
They didn't have their shit together for a couple of years from 2006 to 2008 and then they put a moron to direct XIV. My point is that they are getting their shit BACK together. That simply doesn't happen in a day for a company the size of Square Enix and all the damage has already been caused, so they can't really NOT fix XIV ASAP. And to do so, unfortunately, means that they have to put some project on backburner.

I don't know how anyone can see how this company has been the past generation and feel anything but disappointment and have reservations about Versus.
Because I see nothing in Versus XIII's development that hampered XIII & XIV's and caused them to be what they are. XIV had a really incompetent director who shouldn't have been directing an MMO, whereas Nomura has a proven (though not spotless) track record and has shown to be a person who keeps learning & doing his job better. XIII suffered from a lack of direction for the longest time, Nomura is a competent director so while there have been some different iterations of certain aspects of the game, it hasn't had similar identity crisis as XIII. Most importantly, Versus XIII isn't being rushed out. Both XIII & the original XIV were more or less rushed out, despite being seemingly long under development.

Or why Versus XIII would ever be considered that difficult to create.
FFXII's development itself was a hugely problematic & long ordeal. Versus is on a much more powerful console, so it takes more effort to do even something that is like FFXII, let alone something like Versus that is even bigger & more ambitious.

Top Bottom