• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Exentryk

That's just the Xenoblade combat system. It's likely 4 player online co-op.

The chat window seems weird. I mean it's not being playing on a keyboard, you know.

I want a single player game damnit! At least keep the main storyline single player! >.<

I thought it had a Versus vibe....then I realised the combat was not user controlled like KH but instead had the same system as Xenoblade.......

I hate that system

"Not user controlled" is not exactly accurate. Xenoblade has pretty much the exact same system as KH, except that your character auto-attacks. I really wish Xenoblade had auto-attacking as an option that you had to turn on, so that people could play it without it, and others like me could turn it on after realizing nothing whatsoever is added by mashing a button in between skills.

Xenoblade and X together got more hype from me than anything SE announced in the past 5 years (maybe even more).

Everytime we see a future announcement coming from Square-Enix everyone is like:

"For iOS."
"Prepare for dissapointment."
*insert joke about Versus*

I feel like I could watch this X trailer for like 50 times, I'm hyped as fuck. So yeah, Monolith is, for this gen, what Square was in the 90s for me. SE totally lost it, I concider them dead until they prove me wrong.

Exactly what I feel, except that I don't even need X to consider Monolith's output more important for me than SE's for the last half a decade. Yes, even when the former is pretty much a single game.

CorvoSol

My wishes never come true.

:(

One or the other, Meccanical. GOD AND MAMMON. TWO MASTERS. APPLES AND ORANGES.
I don't know what I'm saying right now

Xenoblade and X together got more hype from me than anything SE announced in the past 5 years (maybe even more).

Everytime we see a future announcement coming from Square-Enix everyone is like:

"For iOS."
"Prepare for dissapointment."
*insert joke about Versus*

I feel like I could watch this X trailer for like 50 times, I'm hyped as fuck. So yeah, Monolith is, for this gen, what Square was in the 90s for me. SE totally lost it, I concider them dead until they prove me wrong.

Now, I know Square has 1)made a swath of ridiculous decisions of late, and 2)really, really ridiculous decisions, but this is why I wish Type-0 and Bravely Default had been localized. There'd've been hype for that.

One or the other, Meccanical. GOD AND MAMMON. TWO MASTERS. APPLES AND ORANGES.
I don't know what I'm saying right now

tumblr_me8ia2lvox1qmxm7u.gif

Gravijah

"Not user controlled" is not exactly accurate. Xenoblade has pretty much the exact same system as KH, except that your character auto-attacks. I really wish Xenoblade had auto-attacking as an option that you had to turn on, so that people could play it without it, and others like me could turn it on after realizing nothing whatsoever is added by mashing a button in between skills.

KH & XB are worlds apart, they aren't similar in the slightest outside of picking skills/attacks from (two very different) menu stystems. If XB were built around attacking normally at times like KH, it would feel pretty different, but the game is designed around the autoattack, and of course the autoattack system will be better in that context.

Exentryk

Yeah! Not a fan of the Xenoblade battle system. Like I said earlier, it gets a bit too messy sometimes! KH is my preference.

KiN0

That bit with the mech suit was amazing. I hope it's used extensively in the game and not for some gimmicky mode of transport.

Gravijah

That bit with the mech suit was amazing. I hope it's used extensively in the game and not for some gimmicky mode of transport.

This is what I am most excited about.

I didn't really get excited till I saw the mech.

Yeah, I hope they are a main part of the battle system. The Xeno "family" hasn't really been the greatest when using mechs in games. Even Xenogears didn't have enough!

Hero

Square-Enix has absolutely failed this generation in terms of delivering on their promises.

I mean I guess the more apt question is what they did right.

Ah I dont like comparisons like this. It makes two groups of fans fight for no real reason because everyone knows this game and FF whatever are crap compared to Dragon's Dogma. There its settled. :)

RPGCrazied

Hopefully its a wakeup call. Doubt it though. Prepare for even more iOS games and milking of Lightning and the XIII universe.

fvng

Square-Enix has absolutely failed this generation in terms of delivering on their promises.

Which promises? Publishers/Developers fumble all the time. It seems like Square-Enix's previous glory days of putting out unstoppable waves of quality software have created an unreasonable expectation that it would always be that way. No company could sustain what they did for so long. No company deserves infallible God status.

Glix

DOES X HAVE REALTIME CLOUD MOVEMENT I ASK YOU??

What about a realtime scene of dancing?? WHAT ABOUT IT!?!?!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Sleepy Dawgs and The World Ends With You.

Also making the one single Kingdom Hearts game I like.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
X is kinda what I thought FFXIII would be like when they first revealed mecha summons and considered the possibility of using them for traveling.

X is kinda what I thought FFXIII would be like when they first revealed mecha summons and considered the possibility of using them for traveling.

I would have liked it if that were the case.

Imagine, in a parallel world beyond the rift in time space FFXIII is one of my favorite games of all time.

In that dimension literally every other FF game must be dog shit though.

Rpgmonkey

If this comes out before Versus, many laughs will be had.

I can see them both releasing next year. This seems to be far enough along to make 2014, and well...I figure Square Enix won't have FFXIII and the FFXIV repair job slowing them down anymore, and maybe they can finally get around to turning Versus into a playable game before 2014 is over.

X first regardless, though.

sappyday

People got a Versus XIII vibe out of X? I got a Monster Hunter vibe out of it. The whole gimmick (for me) of Versus XIII is that it's a Kingdom Hearts combat system based game that brings back some of the roots of FF all while having a world that conflicts between modernism and traditionalism.

X still looks great though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
To hypothesize such a possibility wracked my body with seizures.
In that same dimension I wouldn't have been turned off to the RPG genre for a while for various reasons, I guess.

I probably wouldn't be so apathetic towards some things either.

It's really crazy how unpolished that game is, even after an extra few years under the SE wings. Hopefully a sequel will improve it.
I'm still glad they picked it up. It was pretty fun and I don't really play those sorts of games that often.

Eidan

People got a Versus XIII vibe out of X? I got a Monster Hunter vibe out of it. The whole gimmick (for me) of Versus XIII is that it's a Kingdom Hearts combat system based game that brings back some of the roots of FF all while having a world that conflicts between modernism and traditionalism.

X still looks great though.

I think it gave everyone a "Wow, this looks promising! We haven't seen something promising out Square in a while!" vibe.

Top Bottom