• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Caelus

This could have been so good.

Soooooooo fucking good.

And now it's gone, I knew it was too good to be true. And we'll never get a ZX3, MM11 or MMX9 either.

Aeana

Father_Brain said:
Yeesh, if they wanted to avoid anger over this decision, all they'd have needed to do would be to release Prototype Version first.
I think that would probably make things worse. Unless the prototype was really awful.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Riposte said:
I don't understand why people want to boycott games or are hoping other games bomb, like Dragon's Dogma. Don't you like videogames? What if Capcom releases a game you want to play? This thread seems really thick with angry fanboyism to the point of a mob mentality. Not a lot of thinking going on.

Sadly, Dragon's Dogma doesn't seem to catch my eye... At all.

The last few games that were able to catch my eye were from Mikami and Kamiya... And that was a long time ago (not into fighting games), oh and canon Resident Evil (namely RE5).

The next games that I will be buying from them is RE4 and RECVX HD.

TheUnknownForce said:
How it went down in my derped mind.

"3DS is the next DS. We put all our money on PSP games first and that was bad. We need to support this big thing baaaadly! But we need games at the launch so we'll send a beefed up port and compilation-port-thingie. The big stuff'll come later, if they sell. Oh you want Megaman Legends 3? Ehhhh, well, Inafune is here, so we won't kill you for asking, come again later. That Universe game, though, it's on XBLA and PSN so GREEENLIT!"

"Oh, good, Inafune left. We can drop all Megaman projects already greenlit and move on with becoming a Western-focused publisher with the occasional Monster Hunter for Japan. Legends 3 isn't greenlit, so we won't cancel it now. Besides, it's on 3DS! It can't fail, what with the ports everyone put onto it at launch!"

"Oh, 3DS is a bit expensive it seems...and our big port launch title sold well but we shipped a million and it clearly didn't need that many at launch. Maybe it'll pick up a lot of steam shortly! As for Legends 3...we'll force them to release a prototype of it. Then when we cancel it and dash the fanbase's hearts and minds, we'll never need to speak of it ever again. GREAT PR MOVE!"

"Oh, 3DS didn't really boost up as we thought. DS is still selling pretty well, too. Damn, and we already cancelled all our DS US releases after sending Okamiden to die. Prototype Version not ready? Delay it, just before E3 happens. There's no way this can go wrong at all."

"PS Vita has a lot of support heading its way, and our Mercenaries compilation is stumbling at that 'can't-remove-save-data' debacle. 3DS might recooperate by holiday, but we LIVE IN THE NOW. Legends 3 team, get in here! The game's cancelled. Now get to work on Dragon's Dogma for PSVita. IT CANT LOSE!"

wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened. Though I don't see why people want other Capcom titles to bomb except DmC

Riposte said:
There seems to be little to nothing to move. Like, this could be a case of "not getting the green light" rather than being canceled.

I don't understand why people want to boycott games or are hoping other games bomb, like Dragon's Dogma. Don't you like videogames? What if Capcom releases a game you want to play? This thread seems really thick with angry fanboyism to the point of a mob mentality. Not a lot of thinking going on.

I'll admit, it makes no sense and it'll probably hurt me more than it'd hurt them, but I'm feeling pretty damn pissed at the moment...spiteful enough to not want to support a company that just shat all over one of their most loyal, longtime fanbases.

Eusis

Aeana said:
I think that would probably make things worse. Unless the prototype was really awful.
On the other hand it was the one piece that was within reach. Simply canceling a far off game's one thing, something that's almost RIGHT THERE and is all we'd ever have is worse when it comes to getting to play the game at all.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Father_Brain said:
Yeesh, if they wanted to avoid anger over this decision, all they'd have needed to do would be to release Prototype Version first.
Then deem the experiment a failure based on undivulged statistics and numbers. At least in that case people would point fingers at each other instead of Capcom.

Busaiku

Aeana said:
Even if it was awful, if they released it and it did horribly, I can understand why the project was canceled.
But they've already spent the money on the prototype, promoted it, and they're still not releasing it.

I just can't understand that.

Why would you do that? said:
I'd love this more than MML. But the MML wounds will still be there. :(

Really?
I mean, I enjoy the classic MegaMan style as much as the next guy, but we just had two of them. I'd much rather have a new Legends or at least a new X.

Poyunch

Dragon's Dogma looked interesting when I thought it was a co-op Monster Hunter-like game. When it was revealed that it was exclusively single-player I lost all interest. The game looked pretty uninspired but I was willing to look past it at something that's Monster Hunter-ish. But nope.

would get murked in retail. capcom made the right call.

lets place the blame on the real perpetrators: microsoft & sony for their iron-fisted control of xbla and psn respectively. if publishers had the power to sell their boxed titles digitally day-and-date with brick and mortar releases, as well as control their own pricing structure and sales, then this game would have a good chance at coming out.

Hey, fuck some of you guys. Capcom are still some of the best game designers around and while this does suck, they should have made it a multiplatform PS3/360/PC game anyways.

playoverwork said:
Hey, fuck some of you guys. Capcom are still some of the best game designers around and while this does suck, they should have made it a multiplatform PS3/360/PC game anyways.

Name some good Capcom has made recently. I dare you .

playoverwork said:

There's no way this would have made back the cost of an HD title unless it was download only and super short.
As a handheld title, it could have done decently.

Riposte

Busaiku said:
But they've already spent the money on the prototype, promoted it, and they're still not releasing it.

From the way I understand it, they probably didn't spend much money at all. If the picture Inafune painted rings true, then this was their(the team? not so much Inafune I guess) attempt to get the permission and funding to make the game. What we saw was very basic stuff. Blogs and concept art. At most it would have came to a very cheap prototype. Seems like the board of directors are smartening up to that tactic lol.

BeautifulMemory said:
Name some good Capcom has made recently. I dare you .

MvC3, you lose :p

Capcom pretty much suck all around outside of their fighting game output though. The glory days of Clover/Mikami have passed

ShockingAlberto said:
And people thought I was totally fucking crazy for pointing out that the 3DS's life cycle might trend more toward the Wii than the DS.

I'm not going to call those people out, mostly because I can't remember who it was, but isn't it all starting to seem eerily familiar? The downgraded ports, the missing games, the announced titles that then completely disappeared?

Drawing 3DS doom-and-gloom conclusions from a cancellation that seems to be driven primarily by internal politics? I expect better from you. :/

I mean, I don't claim to be able to judge whether your prediction is wrong or not, but this does not seem like a good title to use as supporting evidence.

Kard8p3

I love how we aren't even half a year into the life of the 3DS and already we have people saying RIP.

To stay on topic though it sucks that this got cancelled. I guess this is the end for Mega Man.

Boney

Banned
pic_progress.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kard8p3 said:
To stay on topic though it sucks that this got cancelled. I guess this is the end for Mega Man.
Nah, I'm sure there are sheepmen that will still buy the continuous stream of 8-bit regurgitations.

AceBandage said:
Really?
I mean, I enjoy the classic MegaMan style as much as the next guy, but we just had two of them. I'd much rather have a new Legends or at least a new X.
Being a classic Mega Man fan, I was unreasonably happy with MM9 and MM10, while at the same time, I never really played Legends, though the games look really fun. But that's just me. I'm still really annoyed about this, though. :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
... *sigh* What the fucking fuck is going on this year? Nintendo fail, Capcom fail, Sega fail, seriously what in the fucking fuck is going on??? >_<

Busaiku said:
Even if it was awful, if they released it and it did horribly, I can understand why the project was canceled.

Who knows how much more money they would have had to spend before the prototype would have been ready for release on the 3DS store? Maybe even accounting for the projected number of sales of the prototype, they calculated that they would come out ahead by canceling now.

Father_Brain said:
Drawing 3DS doom-and-gloom conclusions from a cancellation that seems to be driven primarily by internal politics? I expect better from you. :/

I mean, I don't claim to be able to judge whether your prediction is wrong or not, but this does not seem like a good title to use as supporting evidence.
I didn't say doom and gloom. The Wii is the best selling console in years.

I think the actual software ecosystem on the 3DS is going to closely match it, though.

evangd007

madmaxx350 said:
wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened. Though I don't see why people want other Capcom titles to bomb except DmC

DmC and Operation Raccoon City give away a lot about the company's general direction. And the fans feel that it is not a good direction.

qq more

playoverwork said:
Hahaha no. How about fuck your port begging? Sick of hearing "X SHOULD BE ON PS3/360".

RurouniZel said:
... *sigh* What the fucking fuck is going on this year? Nintendo fail, Capcom fail, Sega fail, seriously what in the fucking fuck is going on??? >_<
Gaming is dead. The upside is having no new games to buy frees up plenty of money to get into retro gaming, when things were good.

Top Bottom