• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Busaiku

Lance Bone Path said:
Who knows how much more money they would have had to spend before the prototype would have been ready for release on the 3DS store? Maybe even accounting for the projected number of sales of the prototype, they calculated that they would come out ahead by canceling now.
When they had showed off the Prototype on TV, didn't they state that they'd pretty much finished it?

ShockingAlberto said:
I didn't say doom and gloom. The Wii is the best selling console in years.

I think the actual software ecosystem on the 3DS is going to closely match it, though.

I dunno about that.
The DS didn't have very good software for its few months either.
It just takes a spark to set it off.

Slime

Banned
Shitty? Yes. Surprising? Not really.

A new Legends game was always going to face an uphill battle, and with its main advocate gone, I think its cancellation was kind of an inevitability. The fact that we were this close is always going to sting though. This sucks.

Takao

Banned
Wow.

Fuck you Crapcom.

I'd say they're joining the ranks of Namco Bandai, and Konami but those smucks still make games I'm interested in.

I had a random thought... What if the developers at Capcom make the MML development more open to the community, only so that the heads of Capcom would get a whole lot of grief if they didn't greenlight it?

It seems like it's working splendidly!

ShockingAlberto said:

I think the actual software ecosystem on the 3DS is going to closely match it, though.

I suppose we'll see. At the very least, it's certainly not a system whose sales (such as they are) are being driven by uber-casual titles, nor does that look to change for some time.

Gaogaogao

playoverwork said:
Hey, fuck some of you guys. Capcom are still some of the best game designers around and while this does suck, they should have made it a multiplatform PS3/360/PC game anyways.
when dragons dogma (the game that all the money and japanese devs are working on) comes out, and is a massive failure, you will realize its over.

Poyunch

Gaogaogao said:
when dragons dogma (the game that all the money and japanese devs are working on) comes out, and is a massive failure, you will realize its over.
No they'll live off of more fighting games and Monster Hunter. :/

Nothing against those games though. Damn you Capcom.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AceBandage said:
I dunno about that.
What would be the spark for the 3DS software sales, I wonder. I know that the Marios and Co. were the fuel to what Nintendogs and Brain Training started. Will the 3DS need that kind of offbeat catalyst or not, is something that is yet to be seen.

Riposte

Upcoming Capcom titles I can list off the top of my head (not counting HD remakes or ports)

Asura's Wrath (external)
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (external)
DmC (external)
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record (not sure if external or not)
Dragon's Dogma
Street Fighter vs Tekken
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (No NA version it seems)
Resident Evil Revelations

Speculation: (Very likely)
A new Marvel vs Capcom 3?
Monster Hunter 3rd G/Vita?
+three more Vita titles (could be ports. four if there isn't a MH in the works)

qq more

luka said:
Well, it's DD only, so technically they can. :p
"Capcom To Pull Mega Man 9 And 10 from every st-

aw screw it, can't finish the joke because it's such a scary thought that it's actually possible

Thankfully Capcom wouldn't really do that

Jinfash said:
What would be the spark for the 3DS software sales, I wonder. I know that the Marios and Co. were the fuel to what Nintendogs and Brain Training started.

Could literally be anything, honestly.
Personally, I'd like to see Heroes of Ruin really take off so we could see more Diablo clones on handhelds.

C-Jo

Riposte said:
Upcoming Capcom titles I can list off the top of my head

Asura's Wrath (external)
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
DmC (external)
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record (not sure if internal or not)
Dragon's Dogma
Street Fighter vs Tekken
Raccoon City is external, Off the Record is Capcom Vancouver and Gyakuten Kenji 2 came out in February.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Takao said:
Wow.

Fuck you Crapcom.

I'd say they're joining the ranks of Namco Bandai, and Konami but those smucks still make games I'm interested in.

Namco Bandai is way better than Capcom now (focus on Japanese development from what I've read, bringing a Tales game even if it's late).

Probably they're on par with Konami because Konami doesn't give two shits about Suikoden and keeps dragging down Silent Hill.

Riposte said:
Upcoming Capcom titles I can list off the top of my head

*list*
There's also Nazo Waku Yakata for the 3DS, a game I'm personally looking forward to. It probably won't come out here, though...

One thing I can say good about Capcom right now is that they sure do localize their games, so I have hope. EDIT: Except Edgeworth 2... But it's late in the DS cycle, so yeah...

LiK

Riposte said:
Upcoming Capcom titles I can list off the top of my head (not counting HD remakes or ports)

Asura's Wrath (external)
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (external)
DmC (external)
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record (not sure if external or not)
Dragon's Dogma
Street Fighter vs Tekken

Speculation: (Very likely)
A new Marvel vs Capcom 3?
Monster Hunter 3rd G/Vita?
+three more Vita titles (could be ports. four if there isn't a MH in the works)

yea, fuck them for not localizing Edgeworth 2. i wanna play that!

Green Scar said:
MvC3, you lose :p

Depends on who you ask, and even then that game was very clearly rushed =/

*sigh* I wish they could've at least released the Prototype, that was the one chance they had to prove that the people actually wanted this, but now it's gone.

Never would I have imagined that the future of the Megaman franchise of all things would ever feel so uncertain...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was pretty sure this was vaporware all along but even so it was the one and only reason I had an interest in getting a 3DS sometime before 2013~14. Screw you Capcom! -_-

SolarKnight said:
Depends on who you ask, and even then that game was very clearly rushed =/

The majority of people who play that game seem to like it. But it was rushed for sure.

I think Capcom's problem is its big IPs don't mean much anymore. A numbered Resi will sell tons but that's about it. It needs to scale back, settle for lower profits and lower output and concentrate on more developer driven projects. If they let their devs go nuts with small DD projects they could turn some heads. As it is, they still think they're one of the big boys, when they're very much not.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What exactly is Inafking up to these days? He needs to get his hands on the Rockman IP somehow. :(

Ashodin

RurouniZel said:
... *sigh* What the fucking fuck is going on this year? Nintendo fail, Capcom fail, Sega fail, seriously what in the fucking fuck is going on??? >_<
Call it the "Great Japanese Critical Failure Era". Seriously.

AceBandage said:
I dunno about that.
It's not necessarily a lack of software, it's how the software that's announced is treated.

Konami clearly saw no financial viability in MGS3DS, so they yanked the budget. The result is a downgrade from a demo made in two weeks, on the actual hardware, that looks barely above the 2004 PS2 release, if noticeably at all.

Dream Drop Distance is barely being talked about. At this junction in Birth By Sleep's development, Sony showed that game off like crazy. Square and Nintendo have nothing to show. Square announced Chocobo Racing, with screenshots, and has hidden it away like Quasimodo since. Is it still ringing the bells over in Square's office? Who even fucking knows!

Capcom threw a quick cashgrab RE title with a 30 second demo and hilarious DRM at the system, a rushed port of a fighting game (where the next game in the series will not be coming to the 3DS, but is coming to the Vita with exclusive content), canceled a title they announced last year after pulling the promised demo from the 3DSware launch, announced a minigame collection that they refuse to acknowledge, and will maybe release an RE title middle-to-late next year that will likely get ported to other systems.

Time and time again, I see people saying "Well, Wii software would have had a chance if the developers put effort in!" Which is mostly true. A lot of that Wii software was shit or mis-marketed to the craziest possible aims. Those developers did not care to or want to treat those releases with respect, because they saw the system as a side-toy that could be used to siphon money from people who did not know better.

You see that same gleam in the eye of publishers on the 3DS. They're not going to respect the software like they do on HD consoles or like they did on the DS. They're going to find reasons not to develop on it, they're going to put out games that developers can work on in-between their HD projects or on their lunch breaks.

It's how it went down with the Wii.

It's how it will go down with the 3DS if something does not happen soon.

Mafro

Eteric Rice said:
Should we be concerned about the 3DS?

Because I'm getting concerned...
After 4-6 months? Nope.

So many knee-jerk reactions and faux outrage over a niche game getting cancelled.

Dambrosi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

As has been said, the DS underperformed in both sales and games quality in its first eight months of release. It took the release of Mario Kart DS (I think) to spark the beginning of what would become one of the best-selling games machines of all time.

A lot of
PSVita fanfriends
people seem to forget that it's not a sprint, but a marathon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn't plan on buying a 3DS but was still interested in seeing how this game turned out. Sucks to hear it ended up like this. Too bad they don't start from scratch and make it for ps3...
yeah right

Top Bottom