• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 Results: $312 Million Loss

Averon

Sony's exception on exchange rates was way off. They expected 105 yen for the Euro; it's currently sitting at 96. They expected 80 yen to the dollar; it's currently at 78.

Everytime any of the bigs at Sony commented on how Vita was selling as expected - it was some of the most obvious corporate BS. How anyone on GAF ever fell for it is pretty crazy.

I didn't. I already knew it was failing from day one, especially when most of the time, I can tell when they didn't want to release the exact numbers of it on Media Create, NPD, etc. each month or each week.

I'm never buying one until it actually has games. Why would i support a dead system with nothing that interests me?

I want Monster Hunter and at least 4 other good RPGs on it thats not a port of a port or Resmaster downgrade.

Well, you might want to get a 3DS now. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for a very, very long time.

What are PS3 shipment figures for Q1? No separate breakdown for PS3/PS2?

last year / same Q1

was 3.2 Mil divided into
Ps3 = 1.8
Ps2 = 1.4

this year if both psp and ps3 got lower sales (from above statement) would be something similar 1.7/1.6 ps3 and 1.1/1.2 ps2 in order to match the 2.8 million total of this Quarter

jcm

Sony's exception on exchange rates was way off. They expected 105 yen for the Euro; it's currently sitting at 96. They expected 80 yen to the dollar; it's currently at 78.

They've said in the past that the dollar exchange rate doesn't hurt them, because their dollar-denominated expenses balance them. Obviously the euro is killing them though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
7.4 million cell phones? do they really sell that many cell phones? who the hell uses a sony cell phone nowadays

So the gaming division actually made a profit last year of $375million? Which is what I thought. I remember there being conflicting reports that they lost money in 2011.

That's interesting that they're breaking out actual figures again for each division. With last years's into the bargain. Operating income for SCE last year wasn't bad.

Considering last year should have been the time where PS3 profitability was peaking, a 3.6% operating margin is certainly not good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
last year / same Q1

was 3.2 Mil divided into
Ps3 = 1.8
Ps2 = 1.4

this year if both psp and ps3 got lower sales (from above statement) would be something similar 1.7/1.6 ps3 and 1.1/1.2 ps2 in order to match the 2.8 million total of this Quarter
Yep. Would have been great if they released accurate figures. I think from this quarter onward they have started combining PS3/PS2 shipments as well.

last year / same Q1

was 3.2 Mil divided into
Ps3 = 1.8
Ps2 = 1.4

When they talk about PS3 sales in that context, they are talking about revenue. They probably didn't sell that much less than last year(if they sold less at all) considering the price is lower.

Vita is not surprising... to be honest it is an impressive gadget...I am far more impressed by slick it is compared to say my iPhone...but it needs more games that appeal to a wide section of the gaming audience...there are few big games on the thing

is anyone else surprised by the 375million profit gaming made last year? after all those reports saying that the gaming division was loosing money too. 375 million makes 2011 the most profitable year PS3 has had hasnt it?

Doesn't this offset all the moeny Sony lost with PS3 in the beginning? Or come close to it? I remember graph running around gaf that had shown the gaming divisions profit/loss for the last 10 years. Think the biggest loss they took was in 2006 of ~225 million. Would be interested in seeing how that its changed overall for PS3 now the 375million profit is added to the mix.

GavinGT

Banned
Do we really have to get the idiots who say there won't be a ps4 because of stuff like this every time?

There probably shouldn't be PS4. But, nonetheless, it's Sony so it's coming.

I just don't think next gen is going to turn out well for anyone. Least of all Sony, who barely has the money to make the necessary investments.

Roo

There probably shouldn't be PS4. But, nonetheless, it's Sony so it's coming.

I just don't think next gen is going to turn out well for anyone. Least of all Sony, who barely has the money to make the necessary investments.

that's why they're working with Microsoft... remember?
lollolololololol

not even close :p

maybe I'm not remembering the graph correctly, but 2009 and 2010 were both profitable years. With 2006, 2007, and 2008 totaling around a 550-600 million loss in the gaming division over those three years. This 375million, combind with the profits in 2009 and 2010 should get them close to canceling that figure out, maybe turning a profit overall this year(if they make a profit in gaming this year).

Remember not talking about Sony as a whole, JUST the gaming division. It would be nice to find that graph someone posted again to get exact figures.

Do you have a source for this?

First year PS3 was on the market gaming division lost 232 billion Yen. Second year on the market gaming division lost 125 billion Yen.(and that includes PSP and PS2 profit, so PS3 obviously was much worse than that by itself)

They made a profit of 29 billion Yen last year. Do the math and it's pretty clear he's probably right.

Remember not talking about Sony as a whole, JUST the gaming division. It would be nice to find that graph someone posted again to get exact figures.

Figures are in this info

Have fun!

It's well known that PS3 more than wiped out all the profits Sony ever made from the first two Playstations combined.

No thats not true. Someone said this before, and thats the whole reason this graph I'm refering to was posted. It took a large chunk out of everything they made with PS2, but not quite when you combined it from 2009 and 2010.

First year PS3 was on the market gaming division lost 232 billion Yen. Second year on the market gaming division lost 125 billion Yen.(and that includes PSP and PS2 profit, so PS3 obviously was much worse than that by itself)

They made a profit of 29 billion Yen last year. Do the math and it's pretty clear he's probably right.

I dont question him being right, I want to know if Kaz ever publicly said such thing.

Kazerei

Banned
is anyone else surprised by the 375million profit gaming made last year? after all those reports saying that the gaming division was loosing money too. 375 million makes 2011 the most profitable year PS3 has had hasnt it?

Doesn't this offset all the moeny Sony lost with PS3 in the beginning? Or come close to it? I remember graph running around gaf that had shown the gaming divisions profit/loss for the last 10 years. Think the biggest loss they took was in 2006 of ~225 million. Would be interested in seeing how that its changed overall for PS3 now the 375million profit is added to the mix.

This post is probably what you're looking for.

I'd love to see an update to it. We don't have gaming-specific numbers for FY2010, but apparently we just got a number of FY2011.

Lynn616

kYbJp.png

FY 2011 is a profit of 29.3 Billion Yen.

edit:

Not my graph. Someone here on GAF posted it. I am sure someone here will confirm or deny it.

Striek

That loss is way bigger than expected for Sony as a whole, the game loss is lower than I expected, and revised portable forecast is just...ouch.
Seems unsubstantiated.

S6asr.png

nvm I found the graph. I wasnt comparing the right units. Graph is in billions of yen not millions of dollars. my bad. Anyways you can see PS3 hasnt lost everything they made with PS1 and PS2. At least this can be updated now with the 2011 figures.

edit: oops see that it was already posted.

legend166

maybe I'm not remembering the graph correctly, but 2009 and 2010 were both profitable years. With 2006, 2007, and 2008 totaling around a 550-600 million loss in the gaming division over those three years. This 375million, combind with the profits in 2009 and 2010 should get them close to canceling that figure out, maybe turning a profit overall this year(if they make a profit in gaming this year).

You're remembering the losses incorrectly.

Top Bottom