• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Well shit.

80% of 10-year-old girls in the U.S. say they’ve been on a diet

Tell me there’s not something seriously fucking wrong with this fact.

This is just one of many that have compelled Miss Representation, SPARK, Endangered Bodies and other organizations to host a 3-day long challenge to encourage the public to push women’s and girl’s magazines to take accountability for their direct impact on the epidemic of shame, self-loathing and starvation among young women in the U.S. And things aren’t getting better.

Their ask? A pledge by these magazines to use at least one unphotoshopped image in each of their issues. This is a larger follow-up campaign to 14-year-old Julia Bluhm’s quest you may have heard about, where she asked for this very thing of Seventeen magazine; while she successfully landed a meeting with their editor-in-chief over her petition, she was politely turned down from her request. Apparently, pictures of real girls was just too radical for them.

Now they’re taking it back to the ‘nets. The awesome thing about this campaign, which kicked off today, is that everything is laid out for folks in this toolkit. So check it out, use the #KeepItReal hashtag, and call out magazines’ Twitter handles below. The industry’s message that cis, white, thin and able-bodied women continue to be the “ideal” is a direct contribution to the dissolution of girls’ and women’s self worth, and it can’t be ignored anymore. And they hold the power to change it, but we need to hold them to it.

I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to girly mags growing up. Others around me did though, hence the reason I got a lot of shit from them.

Leeness

This is sad... unsurprising, but sad.

I mean, there is eating healthy. That's fine... but otherwise? No, babies. :(

And fuck you, Seventeen magazine.

Samara

This is sad... unsurprising, but sad.

I mean, there is eating healthy. That's fine... but otherwise? No, babies. :(

And fuck you, Seventeen magazine.

Haven't read Seventeen or any magazine but Cosmopolitan, but don't they have those big girl section to improve this image in most mags anyway? You know "Skinny, pear shaped, curvy etc"

Prax

That's really disheartening.

I never paid much attention to those teen girl magazines because I found them too vapid, but it's not like I was unaffected by the rest of the media and my parents bombarding me with similar messages. And then you find out that everything is smoke and mirrors and people expect to live up to fantasy images? It just makes me rage.

To this day, I get annoyed beyond what I think should be a reasonable amount when the topic of fashion, makeup, or dressing up girly comes up, especially when my female friends and family talk about how I should be doing it more and joining them. I know they mean well, but a part of me feels like they want to waste my time and money with bs. >_>

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't think there is anything wrong with being interested in fashion, make-up and dressing girly when you are an appropriate age, imo. Dieting at such a young age, though? That's just wrong!

That's really disheartening.

I never paid much attention to those teen girl magazines because I found them too vapid, but it's not like I was unaffected by the rest of the media and my parents bombarding me with similar messages. And then you find out that everything is smoke and mirrors and people expect to live up to fantasy images? It just makes me rage.

Parents can be really hard to deal with. My mother has made a few comments about my weight before, since I'm no longer super skinny. While I personally prefer my body now compared to how I used to look it still feels bad to hear. I just have to remind myself that she's the one with an unhealthy idea about body types and that she used to have an eating disorder. At this point I think I'm the only one in my family who's never dealt with a case of anorexia or bulimia.

Ashes

Banned
I don't mean to play devil's advocate, because I think that that is a great campaign, but as a side issue, and purely one related to statistics and the representation of data, there is a childhood obesity epidemic (is there not?), and correct me if I'm wrong but that is a greater concern, purely from a numbers game point of view, than anorexia or equivalent (is this wrong?). I'm sure a doctor would recommend exercise, and a healthy diet, but if these obese children are counted, I would be, if it were medically relevant, for children dieting (and exercising), than say the alternative.

Regardless, whatever the cause of the diets among children, it is still a worrying trend.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate, because I think that that is a great campaign, but as a side issue, and purely one related to statistics and the representation of data, there is a childhood obesity epidemic (is there not?), and correct me if I'm wrong but that is a greater concern, purely from a numbers game point of view, than anorexia or equivalent (is this wrong?). I'm sure a doctor would recommend exercise, and a healthy diet, but if these obese children are counted, I would be, if it were medically relevant, for children dieting (and exercising), than say the alternative.

Regardless, whatever the cause of the diets among children, it is still a worrying trend.

You don't have to play the isn't X a bigger issue than Y game. Body image issues are of a real concern when you have 10 year olds starving themselves.

I doubt most children really understand nutrition (hell, most adults don't completely get it and there's still much we're unsure of). To most children "dieting" means simply eating less and many of them could end up malnourished. The bigger problem is that the motivation to "diet" for these children does not come from a place of health and concern, it's coming from a place of vanity, judgement, and peer pressure. The mental repercussions of dieting so young are much more worrisome than the physical ones.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Like many 12 year olds, I felt the pressure to look thin and beautiful as well. But for some reason eating less never occurred to me. My parents had a few books about healthy lifestyles, which I read (being the voracious reader that I am, I suppose this is no surprise) and so I began eating more vegetables and exercising regularly. So, even though my parents didn't teach me these things directly, it was definitely because of them that I followed the path that I did instead of another.

Leeness

Haven't read Seventeen or any magazine but Cosmopolitan, but don't they have those big girl section to improve this image in most mags anyway? You know "Skinny, pear shaped, curvy etc"

I'm mostly just responding to the article. A girl went to them and asked them to show more normal girls and they said nope.

I'm not sure if Seventeen has the "dress for your body type" pages, but generally, all the models look the same in those anyway :/

I did the diet thing in...9th grade, I think? I ate like one apple a day for a couple of weeks until I felt so horrible, I gobbled up all the food I could find and then cried. Ah teenage years :( I didn't do that again though.

FyreWulff

A big issue with dieting (especially ones triggered by vanity magazines) is that it's a really, really bad idea to deprive yourself of nutrition during puberty.

Ashes

Banned
^^All Fair points. 1 in 3 children in the UK are overweight, and if current trends continue, it is expected that upto 90% of the UK adult population will be classified as clinically overweight by 2050. Schools, the Government, the NHS, and their public health campaigns may in effect be playing a part for a child to reconsider an apple for a crisp.

Sadly, there is a huge mental health problem, where children are concerned, and there is a separate clinical health problem, i.e. obesity, in the making, or already here, so it becomes important, to separate dieting statistics.

FYI to declare any conflict of interest, I work in the media intelligence field, for one of the biggest, if not the biggest media research companies in the world.

One of the things I have to do is tell the NSPCC, how the national newspapers report on children's issues.

I keep on hearing about how kids nowadays make layability lists and whatnot, and I can't recall anyone in my class ever doing that.
Anyone here ever did that in high school?

I've been told by several GAF members to stay away from this thread and not to argue with several members that post regularily in this thread.

Would you girls mind explaining to me how so many users have come to dislike you?

Satch

Banned
I've been told by several GAF members to stay away from this thread and not to argue with several members that post regularily in this thread.

Would you girls mind explaining to me how so many users have come to dislike you?

lol smh

who was it

was it somebody in sportsGAF

tumblr_lz9bu35fTe1qinilbo1_250.gif

ReiGun

I keep on hearing about how kids nowadays make layability lists and whatnot, and I can't recall anyone in my class ever doing that.

I'm sure they did at my school, but I never got to see them. I remember my sister and her friends making a few too.

Cooties.

(This has been my answer to conundrums involving women for as long as I can remember. Hasn't failed me yet.)

Platy

People fear what they don't understand xD

I heard ratings some times, but never anything like lists.

A lot of people on GAF are fairly sexist and it gets particularly exposed when arguing with girls, which tends to result on bans.

Leeness

I don't even...

ANYWAY. I found a fun bra site!

Or it's fun for me because it has cute, cheap bras in lots of sizes! I got a pretty black and silver thing with lace and bows that makes me look like I could smother someone with my cleavage lolol.

Lots of great stuff, cheap, really easy with returns. YAY.

Top Bottom