• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Jade from Beyond good and evil and Alyx from Half Life. We need more of these girls and less of Bayonetta types!

Oh and happy birthday, Ashes.

Satch

Banned
God I'm so drunk... I'all behave though. Its my birthday. Woot. And life is awesome. Why can't we all just get along?

And somebody hates poetry!!!! Don't you have a soul? Oh you know what i mean. Read good poetry. They're not cheap lovey dovey soulless stuff.

Read my own, its on gaf, I don't mind criticism.

Most likely I'll edit this, but I don't get the fuss. Its hard too argue against them being the fairer sex. Trust me, I've tried to challenge it. You know... my challenge everything philosophy. Challenge everything.

Have an awesome night girls. Don't let em put you down..

Haha I actually got something relevant
girl not happy with her man... trying it on me. Friend with me... goes, siesta just seen that I'm buying drinks. Lol I ain't even mad
Play hard work hard.
But know how the world works,
And you got enough....

Jh05P.jpg

But the bouncers will kick me out?
Anyway false alarm. She's good. She's single. Can't do nothing though. Told her I'd buy her drink as a friend. Cause she has a man. But I screwed up. It's good though. She likes another guy too. Lol.

Edit: she bought me a drink. This girls a keeper. Anyway, maybe another day. At least things are cool between us. Hah hah

Ashes, you're turning into one of those guys who thinks girlgaf and girl-age are synonymous.

Platy

GLaDOS, Zelda (specialy WW tetra and Sheik), Celes and my probably all time favorite character ever (wich I might understand if she don't fit), wich to me is the best example of female character ever created (specialy considering the game she is in ...) :

rhR04.jpg

Also, my relationship with heels is "hate the sin, not the sinner" =x

And I love some good poems ... I guess the "who don't" would be better when you think that music is nothing more than melody with a poem ...
But most of the "melodyless poems" that I like are in portuguese .. so i will just put some Neil Gaiman (in doubt, you can always trust Neil Gaiman)

Instructions said:
Touch the wooden gate in the wall you never
saw before.
Say "please" before you open the latch,
go through,
walk down the path.
A red metal imp hangs from the green-painted
front door,
as a knocker,
do not touch it; it will bite your fingers.
Walk through the house. Take nothing. Eat
nothing.
However, if any creature tells you that it hungers,
feed it.
If it tells you that it is dirty,
clean it.
If it cries to you that it hurts,
if you can,
ease its pain.

From the back garden you will be able to see the
wild wood.
The deep well you walk past leads to Winter's
realm;
there is another land at the bottom of it.
If you turn around here,
you can walk back, safely;
you will lose no face. I will think no less of you.

Once through the garden you will be in the
wood.
The trees are old. Eyes peer from the under-
growth.
Beneath a twisted oak sits an old woman. She
may ask for something;
give it to her. She
will point the way to the castle.
Inside it are three princesses.
Do not trust the youngest. Walk on.
In the clearing beyond the castle the twelve
months sit about a fire,
warming their feet, exchanging tales.
They may do favors for you, if you are polite.
You may pick strawberries in December's frost.
Trust the wolves, but do not tell them where
you are going.
The river can be crossed by the ferry. The ferry-
man will take you.
(The answer to his question is this:
If he hands the oar to his passenger, he will be free to
leave the boat.
Only tell him this from a safe distance.)

If an eagle gives you a feather, keep it safe.
Remember: that giants sleep too soundly; that
witches are often betrayed by their appetites;
dragons have one soft spot, somewhere, always;
hearts can be well-hidden,
and you betray them with your tongue.

Do not be jealous of your sister.
Know that diamonds and roses
are as uncomfortable when they tumble from
one's lips as toads and frogs:
colder, too, and sharper, and they cut.

Remember your name.
Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found.
Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped
to help you in their turn.
Trust dreams.
Trust your heart, and trust your story.
When you come back, return the way you came.
Favors will be returned, debts will be repaid.
Do not forget your manners.
Do not look back.
Ride the wise eagle (you shall not fall).
Ride the silver fish (you will not drown).
Ride the grey wolf (hold tightly to his fur).

There is a worm at the heart of the tower; that is
why it will not stand.

When you reach the little house, the place your
journey started,
you will recognize it, although it will seem
much smaller than you remember.
Walk up the path, and through the garden gate
you never saw before but once.
And then go home. Or make a home.
And rest.

I love poetry but I love love love heels. When I was younger I justified not wearing them because I'm definitely tall enough not to need them and wearing them makes me so tall that I really stand out (especially with my mostly 5'2'' and shorter girlfriends) - but as I've grown more comfortable with myself, I've realized I like feeling tall and standing out. I occasionally get comments from both shorter men and women about it, but I'm comfortable with myself so I don't care what they think.

I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on them though because of how quickly they scuff. Well actually, I'm not spending anything on heels right now because I destroyed part of my foot. :/

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I love poetry but I love love love heels. When I was younger I justified not wearing them because I'm definitely tall enough not to need them and wearing them makes me so tall that I really stand out (especially with my mostly 5'2'' and shorter girlfriends) - but as I've grown more comfortable with myself, I've realized I like feeling tall and standing out. I occasionally get comments from both shorter men and women about it, but I'm comfortable with myself so I don't care what they think.

I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on them though because of how quickly they scuff. Well actually, I'm not spending anything on heels right now because I destroyed part of my foot. :/

I do too. I'm only 5'7" so not as tall as other girls (my aunt is 6' :eek:) but I love it when I'm the tallest girl in the room. I felt really bad because of it for awhile (especially when I lived in Japan) but I've come to love myself.

I enjoy wearing heels but usually nothing over 2", and definitely not over 3". I prefer thick, chunky heels over skinny ones.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Also why do you girls always follow cooking instructions. In my massively important opinion, most cook books are written by massive dicks, and they only give away basic shit, which is obvious, but some of the stuff out there is just so wrong.

Find better cook books. :p

Nr44D.jpg

K5n7X.jpg

Platy

Also why do you girls always follow cooking instructions. In my massively important opinion, most cook books are written by massive dicks, and they only give away basic shit, which is obvious, but some of the stuff out there is just so wrong.

gWoAv.jpg

You can search by lots of factors like country or calories, teach non basic "shit" and have videos and you can change pages with your voice, has timers and all other stuff.

These days you can probably find better stuff on IOS ... but this is awesome !

edit :

Alton Brown~

I love Good Eats cause I'm a science geek.
hTX7w.jpg

=D

Leeness

Ladies that I like in games... hm...

GlaDOS haha. I really liked all of the girls from Xenoblade, Fiora, Sharla and Melia. Maya from Phoenix Wright, Tetra from Wind Waker, Elika from PoP'08. And the women of Uncharted. :D

Leeness

Yep, love them. Chloe vs Elena?

Personally, I really like Elena. Badass reporter, can use a gun, (most likely) dumped Drake cause he couldn't stop his adventuring.

Chloe is awesome, though. They're both amazing.

Because Naughty Dog handled them so well...really looking forward to Ellie. She was my avatar before RPJ. :)

My theory is that they are so good because of Amy Hennig, ie more women should write videogames.

Or at least get someone who doesn't think Star Wars is the ultimate in narration and characterization ( like Erik Wolpaw from Valve).

Prax

As a man, why do girls love poems?

They do though, and it's really weird.

I dunno why other girls like poems besides the effort and "cute" of rhymes..

But I usually like them because it's like sketching with words.
Longer prose is like a painting or more complicated illustration.
Poems are usually short, slightly vague, and bring up pieces of imagery that you piece together like a sketch with a few sweet lines would. *__*

I don't love cooking, but I'll do it if I need to eat or want a certain taste. I am not that great and I burn and poorly cook plenty of things at times, but I am kind of baffled by people who are actually kitchen-illiterate. I DUNNO HOW THAT IS POSSIBLE! lol Especially when everything has heating/cooking instructions on them these days. You'd think that a lot of people could.. generalize those rules to other similar foods? I dunno.

And despite not LOVING to cook, and not having the taste for most foods (wont' eat a lot of meat or seafood dishes) I love watching the Food Network. lol

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Personally, I really like Elena. Badass reporter, can use a gun, (most likely) dumped Drake cause he couldn't stop his adventuring.

Chloe is awesome, though. They're both amazing.

Because Naughty Dog handled them so well...really looking forward to Ellie. She was my avatar before RPJ. :)

Yeah, it's hard for me to choose between the two as well. I can't wait for The Last of Us, 2013 is so damn far away!

I wish I liked the Uncharted games :<

Too much movie not enough game

WAT? I'd understand if you said MGS but Uncharted? Cutscenes are between 3 to 8 minutes, most are just a few minutes long, though.

If you talk to Billie about her gaming preferences you're probably gonna end up disliking her, just saying.
Glados, certain variations of Zelda , Impa are my fave female game characters.

Emitan

If you talk to Billie about her gaming preferences you're probably gonna end up disliking her, just saying.

:T

I like things!

Everyone loves Nier right? OMG KAINE IS ANOTHER FAVORITE GIRL

She's awesome cause she's voiced by Laura Bailey
and she's intersexed which is super rare in videogames

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
The "gameplay" is still movie stuff.

Holding Up and mashing X to "platform" isn't gameplay :/

Oh come on, that's not the majority of the game. And I don't know why people wlould want it to be, its a shooter. There are tons of genres that have it far worse, like side scrollers or most platformers, you press forward and move right stick to shoot/press X to jump over pits.

Oh come on, that's not the majority of the game. And I don't know why people wlould want it to be, its a shooter. There are tons of genres that have it far worse, like side scrollers or most platformers, you press forward and move right stick to shoot/press X to jump over pits.

Hey hey, lets not go down this road :<.

I dont. Rap is cool as is kinda the same though.

High heels also look seriously uncomfortable.
im turrible at coocking, books make it less lethal. and heels are SO cool but so painful.

girls, is there any female videogame character that you are a huge fan of? like, your Nr. 1, favorite female character in a game?
i like the purple psychobitches on fighting games, like Tira and Juri and stuff. And Commander Shepard.

lol its funny cuz its true

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Hey hey, lets not go down this road :<.

Heh, sorry was over-simplifying like Billie. :p I know you can do other stuff like, uh, collect useless junk.

There's tons of gameplay in Uncharted. Just an example, you can play the majority of UC2 sneaking around and stealth killing or you can mix it up and melee people, go rambo and stealth kill all in one playthrough. I'd agree if someone said there wasn't enough gameplay in MGS4, but still I loved what little there was. That was my major complaint with that game, that and the awful story.

Heh, sorry was over-simplifying like Billie. :p I know you can do other stuff like, uh, collect useless junk.

There's tons of gameplay in Uncharted. Just an example, you can play the majority of UC2 sneaking around and stealth killing or you can mix it up and melee people, go rambo and stealth kill all in one playthrough. I'd agree if someone said there wasn't enough gameplay in MGS4, but still I loved what little there was. That was my major complaint with that game, that and the awful story.

I..I'm just gonna hold my tongue .

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I..I'm just gonna hold my tongue .

Don't get me wrong I love platformers and sidescrollers even though they can be pretty simplistic! Puzzle games and RPG's can get very complicated depending on the game. Not every game needs to be complicated to be enjoyable, though. Shooters are somewhere in the middle not extremely complicated but not over simplistic either and I think Uncharted is a typical shooter in that regard. I think its a good thing to like a bit of everything. Well, I do anyway. :D

Don't get me wrong I love platformers and sidescrollers even though they can be pretty simplistic! Puzzle games and RPG's can get very complicated depending on the game. Not every game needs to be complicated to be enjoyable, though. Shooters are somewhere in the middle not extremely complicated but not over simplistic either and I think Uncharted is a typical shooter in that regard. I think its a good thing to like a bit of everything. Well, I do anyway. :D

I like a bit of everything, but platformers are like my favorite genre so I won't stand any criticisms towards it! Even fairly true (though i'd say there are a good amount of exceptions) ones!

Ashes

Banned
Happy birthday Ashes!! :O What age?

Happy Birthday!

Jade from Beyond good and evil and Alyx from Half Life. We need more of these girls and less of Bayonetta types!

Oh and happy birthday, Ashes.

Ashes...as someone who has seen a few people drunk post and then get banned...stop posting!

How the hell have I not heard of this book?

Cheers, sorry, etc. This THREAD IS CURSED. I tell you.

/I regret nothing. [though I swear my phone was with P**]
Facebook comments editing ftw! When did that come in?

Btw, I'm 26. All of you who are older, better beware, cause I'm catching up. ;)

Ashes, you're turning into one of those guys who thinks girlgaf and girl-age are synonymous.

My bad. To be fair, having read what I wrote... it's clear that I made no sense.
All right, resume your normal thread.

How the hell have I not heard of this book?

It gets better. Samuel L. Jackson has done his own narration of it. ;P

Ashes

Banned

:p

If certain people love it, there aren't a very many of them. Poetry just isn't big... anywhere. Those who like it, like it. Those who don't - well they make up the majority of the public. Women do read more than men (everyone keeps saying it at least here in the UK), overall I mean (novels included) - don't get me started on the poetry books best-seller list - so I suspect, there are more women who love poetry than men.

Just look at this thread.. It's the last challenge thread. Do you see a lot of love there? :p

Poetry is accessible, but a lot of times, I get that it is it's own thing, with rules, structures etc. e.g. The secondary objective that week was to write a Trimeric:

A four stanza poem in which the first stanza has four lines and the last three stanzas have three lines each, with the first line of each repeating the respective line of the first stanza. The sequence of lines, then, is abcd, b &#8211; -, c &#8211; -, d &#8211; -.

Examples; http://writingsbystone.wordpress.com/trimerics/

And by now, most people are already bored if not asleep. Three of us attempted it. It's in the above thread. You can hate on mine here, I don't mind.

I'm not sure, why you brought up women loving poems. I've never heard of that. Maybe you have it confused with songwriters or people who play the guitar?

And with that I'm out.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I laughed out loud here XD

but girls, are you seriously arguing? no need for it. I am sure there is pretty good stuff in all the games mentioned so far. It's just a matter of taste.

Lighten up dude, we're just teasing each other.

These days I just fire up Halo: Reach once in a blue moon then wonder why I'm playing it. I'm not really into gaming like I used to be.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I go through phases where I get really bored of gaming, usually lasts a few weeks or month. I'm more of play everything kinda girl, though and I don't stick to one genre like shooters or platformers or RPGs, that would bore me to tears! I also have this self imposed ban on how many games I can get per month so sometimes I don't game as much if I playthrough the games quickly, like most single player games.

I don't know man. As an outsider looking in, that platformers comment crossed some lines. You can't just take that kind of talk back.

:p

Except I'm not gonna take it back. :D

Top Bottom