• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Poetry Corner - #52: Sailing Against the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
NeoGAF's Poetry Corner - #52: Sailing Against the Storm

88Cki.jpg

Theme: Sailing Against the Storm

Optional Secondary Objective: Trimeric

A four stanza poem in which the first stanza has four lines and the last three stanzas have three lines each, with the first line of each repeating the respective line of the first stanza. The sequence of lines, then, is abcd, b – -, c – -, d – -.

Examples; http://writingsbystone.wordpress.com/trimerics/

Submission Deadline; (PST)

t1340434800z4.png

The deadline is next Friday, the 25th of May 2012.

Voting Deadline; (PST)

t1340607600z4.png

The deadline normally runs over the course of the submission deadline weekend.

* Rules Etc
* Archives Part 1
* Archives part 2
* Previous Challenges: 1 to 51
* Op Template

Apologies for the delay in getting the new thread posted, as a result I've extended the deadline to keep us in step with the creative writing thread.

Ashes

Banned
3 weeks?
Wouldn't it be better to have it run on Normal schedule? Or are you taking e3 into consideration? Up to you I guess. Maybe monthly comps are what poetry thread needs.

Well, 2 weeks would have voting the same weekend as the creative writing thread, 1 week might not leave enough time for many to enter, especially as we don't know to what degree e3 will wreak havoc on the GAF servers. I can return it to the normal schedule if you guys would prefer.

3 weeks?
Wouldn't it be better to have it run on Normal schedule? Or are you taking e3 into consideration? Up to you I guess. Maybe monthly comps are what poetry thread needs.

I don't even see a point in monthly threads either.

I'll continue to champion an all-in-one OT. There's no point in monthly themes/voting. It has made absolutely zero sense to me since I started contributing.

If certain posters in said OT want to do some themed poems, great. But I'd think of it more like the short-literature sections in the papers.

Ashes

Banned

I'll continue to champion an all-in-one OT. There's no point in monthly themes/voting. It has made absolutely zero sense to me since I started contributing.

If certain posters in said OT want to do some themed poems, great. But I'd think of it more like the short-literature sections in the papers.

The point of the thread are the challenges. There have been 52 challenges thus far, as stated, in the title. Maybe we made a mistake, renaming this the poetry thread corner, eh bootz?

There is a writing OT. And we've had various poetry threads in the past. Feel free to create a Poetry |OT| disappeared. I'm not sure why there isn't one already. Even if it gets pushed to the community section, we can link it here.

I personally like the challenges, and value the difference, between the writing OT mega thread, and the fortnightly creative writing challenges.

Re: thread length. Maybe, sleep on it bootaaay, then do what you feel is best tommorrow. I'm going to Cornwall on Monday for the week, but I'll still try get an entry in.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I'm of the opinion that it not be one big mega-thread. While having one place to go to is nice, I'm with Ashes in that I think the whole things is because of the challenges (themes, styles, writing under a deadline) and I don't think an |OT| style thread is a very conducive catalyst to a challenge based format. I think it works a lot better for fan discussions and the like, but I don't think it'd work to well for the PoetryGAF challenges.

As the the length of this week's, I certainly don't mind a long timeframe as an exception, what with E3 and all, and it might help ensare some new and old faces to the Corner.

AnkitT

I looked at the water in the glass
half full, half empty, half assed
I traveled to the theater of my mind
to see the old toy monkey unwind

But it isn't always so simple
the damp, cold brew from morn
my stomach churned on
it was just the heavy hand of the storm

Abandon the life boat, no raft retreat
conquests on the worn crest and no man in fleet
The bitten off leg, the wooden peg and worn yellow teeth
we'll see what he does; its just the old man and the sea

I love the theme. I'll be entering this bad boy. Sad to see so few entries :(

I'm sure (
I hope
) there'll be a few more entries closer to the deadline.

I have one poem written, but will probably end up writing something else, as I found the secondary objective harder than anticipated and didn't really like the outcome. Trimerics are weird, and I'm never good with repeating lines.

Ashes

Banned
I'm sure (
I hope
) there'll be a few more entries closer to the deadline.

I have one poem written, but will probably end up writing something else, as I found the secondary objective harder than anticipated and didn't really like the outcome. Trimerics are weird, and I'm never good with repeating lines.

Same. The harder I try, the more complicated it becomes. I suppose I'll try going in the opposite direction, reduce it to barebones.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Layers

It's buried beneath
The secret that I keep
It's a struggle to remove
So many find their way

The secret that I keep
hides levels below
Several threads pierce
Through infinite shells

It's a struggle to remove
The walls away from my face
For as one shatters in the light of day
Another fills its place

So many find their way
to the surface
Each one a fake
In absentia mea semetipso

Ashes

Banned
And it's a two horse race, ladies and gentlemen!

So, I'll give a bump.

Sometimes this thread feels likes it is sailing against the storm.

Gah, I've tried and failed a half dozen times to write a Trimeric I like, so fuck the secondary, I'll write something else instead.

I've got a few serviceable ones, but whatever I have at the end of the afternoon, I'll post tonight.

Ashes

Banned
and things are left to the heart.

What to do
when things
go over
your head.

When things,
fragile as they
are, break apart,

Go over
it again,
and again, till

your head,
can't take it
any more,

Beneath a blackened shroud,
in ardour they deeply drank
to the night’s opulent allure
entwined, together two hearts sank.

In ardour they deeply drank,
from cask of spirit and skin of wine,
canting a haphazard course, out,

to the night’s opulent allure,
laughing with wild, drunken abandon
to the waters edge they staggered,

entwined, together two hearts sank
as clouds burst with a thunderous crack
and rain gently rippled the waters surface.

Ashes

Banned
Final hour. Let us know if you're running late, cause I think we've already had an extended period, so this train might leave/arrive at station on time for once.

Thanks for compiling the entries Ashes :)

I was hoping the lengthier deadline would lead to more participants, but it seems to have had the opposite effect. My bad.

Ashes

Banned
Thanks for compiling the entries Ashes :)

I was hoping the lengthier deadline would lead to more participants, but it seems to have had the opposite effect. My bad.

It was a thought provoking theme; and there was an actually challenging secondary objective, and you gave an extended period of time. I don't see what more you could have done.

I hope everyone votes within the weekend for once. :p

Ashes

Banned
1. Bootaaay.
2. Felix
3. AnkitT

Great poems all round. Really liked both felix's and bootaaay's poems. And it's right down to the wire, but I didn't get the last line, felix, and that's the only differentiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom