• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I might be trying for layers next time because I want some texture. But I'll have to do some major thinning before it's layered since I have so much hair!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Get it layered! I have thin hair and it helps with the illusion of fuller hair ^_^;

Yeah, that's what I am thinking of doing. My hair is medium, its not thin, its kinda thick but not extremely thick. I don't want to grow out my fringe though and I wonder if layers would work with a fringe?

Platy

It is a mix of Christopher Walken and the Movie trailer guy =3

Girl Gaf, I have something for you
Wich I was kinda crossed between this, transgaf, confession gaf or even to use some necromancy on androginy gaf

Gaf, it might be known that i have a soft spot for androginy and that I'm a feminist with interests on everything that is queer.

That said, all I want to ask is .... how do you people feel about Andrej Pejic ?

Because I have some short of love and hate relationship with him.

I mean ... look at this new pic
ylshp.jpg

Dude simply OWNS that dress !
2aDsO.jpg

Those girls don't even stand a CHANCE

And while part of my mind want to kill you because he looks better than any single person I know in real life would in any dress ever, part of my mind is "awesome!" for all the genderfuck and stuffs like that.

Would be much easier if he was not cisgender .. than I would just cheer for each pic ... but ... ><

Not sure how to feel. He definitely fits the standard "feminine" beauty role but is male. He doesn't really stand out though and isn't going out of his way to make a dress conventional attire for men or anything. So chalk this one up to I wouldn't even know it's a guy unless specifically told, which is neither negative or positive, but he's not really changing any conventions here.

Zoe

When I hear androgyny, I think of that race in ST:TNG or that unisex store that was popular in the 80's. That's a dude who looks like a normal girl in a wedding dress.

leadbelly

Banned
Androgyny is not exactly my cup of tea, but I do appreciate Bowie's ability to flout conventions, create controversy and shock in such an impactful way.

I also love this quote by Bowie: "I was always a closet heterosexual".

Bowie was way ahead of the game. When people do that shit now, it just looks tired and old.

Prax

I think Andrej looks pretty hot, whether posing as male or female.
I don't even know if he's gay or not, though my assumption is that he isn't but just likes looking pretty?

He's like.. a total bishonen. XD

I am all for androgyny or bending of gender roles and expectations. Though it can get annoying or tired if it's just done to be trendy or is just overall poorly executed.

I do think he is very pretty in that first photo, but what is up with that second photo? Particularly his right side? Is that a side effect of them pinning the dress on him or such? It really bothers me...

I think androgyny in dress is fine myself, although I'm a little worried of it getting popular to see beautiful people who don't identify as androgynous dressing up that way just as a 'fad'

Also, first post in this thread... Hello! I've always admired the GirlGAF threads.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I do think he is very pretty in that first photo, but what is up with that second photo? Particularly his right side? Is that a side effect of them pinning the dress on him or such? It really bothers me...

I think androgyny in dress is fine myself, although I'm a little worried of it getting popular to see beautiful people who don't identify as androgynous dressing up that way just as a 'fad'

Also, first post in this thread... Hello! I've always admired the GirlGAF threads.

Welcome! :D

EH, I don't have any opinion on androgyny myself. Never really thought much about it.

I admire how well he's doing, but he doesn't really stand out...? I mean, aside from the obvious, he's gorgeous and all, but he seems like he's trying to be a girl so much that it's not really androgynous any more. David Bowie knew how to rock that. He was so pretty yet still exuded manly sexiness. I guess if he wasn't going so hard for the girl look and didn't mind mixing in a bit of the guy, I'd find him more interesting. It's hard to explain, really. :/

Also, welcome, Alice!

Anyone out there found a good mattifying primer (that won't clog pores) that keeps makeup from melting?

I've found one that's good for just walking around-ish, but in this heatwave (temps above 100 before humidex) nothing I own (Dermalogica, Smashbox) will work and/or not make me look like a toad the next day.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Anyone out there found a good mattifying primer (that won't clog pores) that keeps makeup from melting?

I've found one that's good for just walking around-ish, but in this heatwave (temps above 100 before humidex) nothing I own (Dermalogica, Smashbox) will work and/or not make me look like a toad the next day.

I don't use primers myself because I have very dry skin and make-up usually stays on my almost all day. But I've heard amazing things about Dr. Brandt's Pores no more from a few friends but its extortionately expensive!

If you watch this video by Lisa Eldridge, she mentions a few mattifying ones that you might like.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Have you tried Bare Minerals? Their primer is pretty good. I use all their stuff and my skin seems to stay quite nice

Hello everybody... :D

I found a bunch of letters from my grandfather that he wrote to me before he died when I was little. Wrecked me all day. :/

Kisaya

I found a bunch of letters from my grandfather that he wrote to me before he died when I was little. Wrecked me all day. :/

:/ The good thing is that you have something of your grandfather's that show's your relationship. I never was close to my grandparents since they live in Yemen, and I've only gone twice in my life there, so I'm always envious of those who grew up with theirs. My dad's father died last January and his mother three years ago, and I felt bad for never being able to have a close relationship like the rest of my family who lived with them did.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

you might try etude house's pore erasing peach base (i use the green-tinted one and build it where i need to cover redness). i like it a lot for the face, it's silky and smooth and really helps minimize pores and is a good base for bb cream or foundation. my only gripe with it is that i don't like the texture it lends to my undereye... much prefer smashbox photo finish for that. otherwise it's great though!

if your skin feels toady (i know exactly what you mean, haha), try an aloe face mask. it really helps me with that. i use one from the body shop. and of course drink lots of water! :D

hey there! that sucks... i know sorta how you feel... a while back i found an e-mail and some internet forum posts my grandpa had made just before he died. he sounded so happy. it really crushed me to read that stuff :/ hope you are doing okay.

Zoe

Is red too flashy to wear to an evening wedding reception?

Aside: how the hell do single women zip up their dresses?

My sympathies, I know what it's like to have something just affect you all day.

I never knew either of my grandfathers. They both passed away before I was born. I did get to have plenty of memories with my grandmothers though.

If it's for a traditional wedding, maybe. Then again I know nothing of wedding dress protocol! I'd say it depends on the shade. Bright red, probably no. A deep/darkish red might be alright.

Since I was little I've just learned to bend forward as much as possible and just reach back. Then again, I'm double-jointed so that might not work for everyone...?

This is what I was taught:
-No white-white (heavy pattern with white as base is acceptable)
-No red-red (if you must, go deeper than maroon)
-No excessive cleavage
-No miniskirts
-No visible undergarments (including bra straps and VPL)

Then again, I've seen every single one of these rules broken at the roughly 20 weddings I've been to since I was old enough to remember these rules.

The best advice I can give on this front is to glean some clues as to attire from your wedding invitation and then google the appropriate attire for the level of formality. The internet usually comes to a consensus on these things. A backyard barbeque, for example, you could probably swing a red sundress. At a black-tie event, stick to cocktail or evening-length deep hues.

Mudita

Neo Member

I think if it's just the reception you can whatever flashy colors you want, it's a party after all! It's the actual ceremonies that you need to think more conservatively towards and avoid harlot red. Or that's how I feel anyways.

CleverGirl

Neo Member

I don't think the color of the dress really matters anymore, as long as it isn't white. The ultimate sin at a wedding is to be prettier than the bride. Just don't cross that line, and you should be ok.

I have no clue no idea on the zipping.

hey :D

So I got oddly curious about this 'fifty shades of grey' thing everyone is talking about nowadays and against my better judgement decided to take a peak. Don't make the same mistake as me. I got about two chapters in and gave up, it was so poorly written I felt simultaneously bored and dirty reading it. Had a bit of a flip through the rest and it appears to be a book about (spoilered in case anyone wants to read it)
an average (virgin) uni student who falls for a sexy billionaire CEO who 'couldn't possibly be 30 yet'. yawn. Oh, and then becomes involved in a bondage relationship with him, and he lavishes her with compliments and clothes.
There is a way to do erotic novels... but jeez, this was so not it. At least, not for me :p

hey :D

So I got oddly curious about this 'fifty shades of grey' thing everyone is talking about nowadays and against my better judgement decided to take a peak. Don't make the same mistake as me. I got about two chapters in and gave up, it was so poorly written I felt simultaneously bored and dirty reading it. Had a bit of a flip through the rest and it appears to be a book about (spoilered in case anyone wants to read it)
an average (virgin) uni student who falls for a sexy billionaire CEO who 'couldn't possibly be 30 yet'. yawn. Oh, and then becomes involved in a bondage relationship with him, and he lavishes her with compliments and clothes.
There is a way to do erotic novels... but jeez, this was so not it. At least, not for me :p

I read a couple of stuff with people on IRC, and it sucked ass.
80456372.jpg

Top Bottom