• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

60's Pack II

Booker T & The MGs - 'Green Onions'
???
???

I love me a bit of Green Onions, however i'm not keen on the idea of playing the legendary organ line on a guitar. It usually sounds a bit rubbish, not sure why they do it.

To make up for it I demand some 'Gimme Shelter'...

XShagrath

It's a very good 60s pack, some dick keeps leaking DLC on reddit
Why is he a dick? I don't really care for Ubi's drip method of doing their "puzzle" and then announcing one song, etc. So the service this dude's providing is an appreciated service, at least for me.

Just found the leak, in for one and not the other.

Is it 'bad sport' to publish the song titles then? I'll spoiler tag them...

60's Pack II

Jefferson Airplane - 'Somebody to Love'
Mamas & Papas - 'California Dreamin''

Wag

60's Pack II

???
???

I love me a bit of Green Onions, however i'm not keen on the idea of playing the legendary organ line on a guitar. It usually sounds a bit rubbish, not sure why they do it.

To make up for it I demand some 'Gimme Shelter'...

Is the Steve Cropper guitar lead in there? He's an awesome player. I'd consider picking up that song just for that.

So I've been fooling around with Rocksmith and have decided it's really not good for acoustic guitar. I definitely need to pick up an electric for it.

What's a good electric starter for someone who mainly plays blues/R&B? I had a Fender once but I sold it. I would say I'm sort of a beginner-intermediate player (can't do leads, just chords).

http://www.songsimian.com/best-guitar-for-rocksmith-review/

What do people think of the guitars on this page? I don't want to spend too much- maybe pick up something used.

Why is he a dick? I don't really care for Ubi's drip method of doing their "puzzle" and then announcing one song, etc. So the service this dude's providing is an appreciated service, at least for me.

I just don't personally respect people that break their NDAs so flagrantly

XShagrath

I just don't personally respect people that break their NDAs so flagrantly
I saw his name was ubiinsider (sp?), but what if he was just someone who happened to find out early? Like, my friend had a 360 devkit back in the day and he would let me know all upcoming Rock Band content before it was officially released. He wasn't involved with any company, and had just happened upon one somehow, so wasn't bound to any NDAs or anything like that.

What do people think of the guitars on this page? I don't want to spend too much- maybe pick up something used.

Of the guitars in the list, I've only ever owned the Yamaha and it was great while it worked, but the jack broke. Got it re-soldered, broke again. A friend with the same guitar (different paint job) had the same issue.

Rocksmith has a sponsorship with Epiphone, so maybe one of their models will do the trick for you. I use an inexpensive Gretsch special jet (les paul shape) and find the problems are usually my bad habits or the software (I'm on PS4). I use a Squier Jaguar bass as well.

To be honest, I'd just go for the guitar type you're most comfortable with and enjoy playing.

Lady Gaia

To be honest, I'd just go for the guitar type you're most comfortable with and enjoy playing.

Agreed with one qualifier. The Yamaha Pacifica and Squier Vibe Strat listed both feature floating bridge / tremolo / whammy bar systems, which are something I'd recommend avoiding for Rocksmith. It makes it tough to reliably tune, which makes note detection unnecessarily inconsistent and frustrating. Ditto anything with really tall "jumbo" frets. Controlling the pressure you apply when fretting notes to avoid bending them sharp can be one consideration too many when learning.

Wag

The Epiphone LP-100 can be had for ~$150 used. I might pick one up.

I used to have a Fender Strat, but I sold it. I've been playing acoustic exclusively for ~30yrs. $150 wouldn't be too big an investment to fool around with. Should be good for some basic blues playing.

Also, I installed the d3dx9_42.dll file for CDLC and Rocksmith locks up my machine every single time upon exiting (I get a black screen- can't do anything). I have to do a hard reset. Anyone else experience this?

Xyber

The Epiphone LP-100 can be had for ~$150 used. I might pick one up.

I used to have a Fender Strat, but I sold it. I've been playing acoustic exclusively for ~30yrs. $150 wouldn't be too big an investment to fool around with. Should be good for some basic blues playing.

Also, I installed the d3dx9_42.dll file for CDLC and Rocksmith locks up my machine every single time upon exiting (I get a black screen- can't do anything). I have to do a hard reset. Anyone else experience this?

That seems like a good cheap guitar.

Have seen some people say that they got that problem after the Anniversary update to windows. One fix is to just alt-tab out of the game and then close it instead of quitting normally. As long as you are in the main menu when doing this you won't lose any data.

You can also try deleting your config file from the game folder and have it generate again and see if it helps.

Wag

Thanks for the tips- I'll try alt-tabbing out.

I'll stop by Guitar Center one day this week and see if they have a LP-100 to fool around with. They do have it used on their website so I'll be able to order one if I like it.

If I can learn Freddie King's Hide Away I think I'll be good. 😀

I saw his name was ubiinsider (sp?), but what if he was just someone who happened to find out early? Like, my friend had a 360 devkit back in the day and he would let me know all upcoming Rock Band content before it was officially released. He wasn't involved with any company, and had just happened upon one somehow, so wasn't bound to any NDAs or anything like that.

They are pretty confident it's an employee there, but yeah there was a similar case with someone's xbox seeing the full DLC schedule back in RS1

60s Mix Pack II – $7.99

* The Mama’s and the Papas “California Dreamin'” - Alt Lead/Alt Rhythm (Capo Required)
* Jefferson Airplane “Somebody To Love” - Alt. Lead
* Booker T. & The M.G.’s “Green Onions”

Aizo

Banned
I always hold out hope that there will be more Japanese artists that get songs added to Rocksmith. Have there been any comments on this?

Over on the Ubi forums, there's a 23-page (as of typing this) thread where people are failing to figure out the password to unlock a gif as part of this week's clue.

Meanwhile on Reddit, the controversial leaker fellow is saying it's
Blink 182.
Oh well.

Pudd

Neo Member
Sorry to bother you rockers with a question maybe asked a thousand times. I feel like i want to be part of the community - i have a quite good eguitar here, so what i need is the game and the usb cable right? Thinking about getting it for PC as it is cheap as hell ... is there any cheap cable I can use or do I need the real one?

Thanks.

TBiddy

Sorry to bother you rockers with a question maybe asked a thousand times. I feel like i want to be part of the community - i have a quite good eguitar here, so what i need is the game and the usb cable right? Thinking about getting it for PC as it is cheap as hell ... is there any cheap cable I can use or do I need the real one?

Thanks.

Theoretically you could probably use a jack>mini-jack cable (see here), but I'd advise you just to get the real cable. There can be enough hassle getting RS2014 to work with the real cable, and I can't imagine it'll be better with unofficial patches and so on.

lazy paste, work is crazy

blink-182 Song Pack II – $11.99 / Steam

blink-182 “Adam’s Song” – D Standard [Lead/Rhythm/Alt. Rhythm] – [XBL] / Steam
blink-182 “Feeling This” – Drop D (Capo Required) [Lead/Rhythm/Alt. Bass] – [XBL] / Steam
blink-182 “First Date” – [XBL] / Steam
blink-182 “I Miss You” – Capo Required – [XBL] / Steam
blink-182 “The Rock Show” – [XBL] / Steam

I've played guitar for quite a few years but want a new way to practice to increase my playing ability. How would Rocksmith be for this? I'd love to get into more genres as well as pick up new techniques. Would this be beneficial for me?

I've played guitar for quite a few years but want a new way to practice to increase my playing ability. How would Rocksmith be for this? I'd love to get into more genres as well as pick up new techniques. Would this be beneficial for me?

It's a difficult one for me to answer, because I went into RS with some self taught 'skill' (mostly open, barre and power chords) and I would say it's definitely helped me improve. If I was already pretty good though... I don't know. Personally I really enjoy playing along with the songs, but if you've been playing independently of a game for a while you might find gawping at coloured dots on a screen restrictive.

I would a) see if you know anyone who has it and who might let you try it out and b) see if anyone on here who was already competent at guitar before playing Rocksmith has feedback for you.

Xyber

As for learning a bunch of different kinds of music, the game is great.

But it won't really do much to help you with your techniques, you really need someone to teach you that properly since the game is very forgiving when it comes to how you play stuff.

Variety Pack VII

Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back (surely the timing of this is no accident?)
???
???
???

In for RATM, interested to see what else pops up.

sladeums

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...stered-Small-patch-starting-today-Jan-20-2017

Hey all. Over the next few days, you should see a small patch appear for Rocksmith, on all platforms. The patch will be automatically delivered to you, regardless of platform. Here's what the new patch does:

- Input gain/calibration issues -- if your guitar or bass was not heard by the game or you were asked to constantly recalibrate it, that should not be an issue any more. (This, along with the cable detection issue, was fixed for PC about two weeks ago.)
- "Null pointer" crashes should be eliminated
- Various stability improvements. This should hopefully fix the seemingly random crashes some players were experiencing, particularly on PS4.

I've just picked this up digitally via the Xbox sale and wondered if there is a way to try it out without the cable(I've just ordered one should be here mid week) I've read about the Microphone option and was hoping it would work over the xbox headset but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can I go and pick up any USB microphone to try it or would it not be worth it. I've got both electric and acoustic.

Xyber

I've just picked this up digitally via the Xbox sale and wondered if there is a way to try it out without the cable(I've just ordered one should be here mid week) I've read about the Microphone option and was hoping it would work over the xbox headset but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can I go and pick up any USB microphone to try it or would it not be worth it. I've got both electric and acoustic.

Depending on how sensitive the mic is you can have very different results. Xbox headset is way too bad to properly pick up the audio.

But yeah, any USB mic should work as far as I know.

Depending on how sensitive the mic is you can have very different results. Xbox headset is way too bad to properly pick up the audio.

But yeah, any USB mic should work as far as I know.

I picked up a Guitar Hero Live mic this morning as I found one going cheap but it causes the game to crash as soon as I connect it.

Think I may just give up and wait for the cable although the makes my Acoustic useless for it.

Lady Gaia

It actually seems to work really good! It could tell when I wasn't playing the right fret with pinpoint accuracy. My blue yeti mic picks up everything so I need to find the right time of day to enjoy it. I have a 8 week old so I need to play when she isn't feeling fussy.

Hmmm. Based in part on your recommendation I picked up a Blue Yeti microphone myself, and the game doesn't recognize it at all. The PS4 sees it as a "USB Headset" and does show an input audio signal correctly. Everything there looks great, but Rocksmith refuses to acknowledge that there's a microphone plugged in.

Did something change with the recent Rocksmith update? Or has something changed with Blue Yeti firmware between your model and mine?

Huh, weird.

Yeah I found some reports online of people having the same issue with the Rock Band mic but no mention of the guitar hero mic.

Anyway, last night I bought Rocksmith for the PC via GMG for £6 and it is awesome the Mic pickup wasn't perfect but it definitely wasn't bad!

Really looking forward to the cable coming in now!

Well... talk about blowing your load on your first track. The last two tracks are just awful.

Variety Pack VII:

RATM - Take the Power Back
Modern English - I Melt With You
One Republic - Counting Stars
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go

Well... talk about blowing your load on your first track. The last two tracks are just awful.

Variety Pack VII:

RATM - Take the Power Back
Modern English - I Melt With You
One Republic - Counting Stars
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Fucking hell those last 3 tracks announced are awful. Saves me money, I guess.

Variety Pack VII – $9.99

* The Calling “Wherever You Will Go” – Capo Required [Alt. Lead/Rhythm]
* Modern English “I Melt With You”
* OneRepublic “Counting Stars” – Alt. Lead
* Rage Against The Machine “Take The Power Back” – Drop D

Top Bottom