• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Surface Book 2

Sure if you are using an external monitor. But then if you are using external and a giant eGPU box along with it, might as well go with a uATX ot ITX dekstop instead of using TB3 eGPU solution on your laptop.

If you are looping in that 1080 via TB3 to laptop's internal monitor, you are robbing even more bandwidth for the GPU and might as well just use the built in 1060.

Not really, no.

Using an eGPU, your CPU gets more thermal headroom, which is a particularly significant boon for thin notebooks like SBs and MBPs.

There is no shortage of reasons why having an eGPU box and an external monitor might be a useful use case for many people. Tons of people want to have one machine they can take with them and just dock to an external monitor when needed - now you can also get more GPU power when you dock, too. (And eGPU boxes are still smaller than a uATX tower.)

All I'm saying is if you already have 1060 in your laptop, 1070 or 1080 in a eGPU is a shitty return on your investment, and getting marginal improvements over the 1060 experience. If you have an Intel GPU in your laptop, that's another thing altogether and eGPU becomes arguably a decent option.

Not really, no.

Using an eGPU, your CPU gets more thermal headroom, which is a particularly significant boon for thin notebooks like SBs and MBPs.

Sure, but it's still a clumsy and wasteful solution since 1080 + eGPU is like over $800. Might as well spend $500 more and build a proper gaming desktop.

Sure if you are using an external monitor. But then if you are using external and a giant eGPU box along with it, might as well go with a uATX ot ITX dekstop instead of using TB3 eGPU solution on your laptop.

If you are looping in that 1080 via TB3 to laptop's internal monitor, you are robbing even more bandwidth for the GPU and might as well just use the built in 1060.

Nah man. Lots of people need a laptop as their primary computer and don't want to own or have to deal with a second desktop computer. That's why home docks have been a thing. That's why external GPUs have been a thing for a decade as people have tried creative methods to find ways to use external GPUs with their laptops (I used to frequent Notebookreview.com's forums and they had a whole section dedicated to this dating back to at least 2009).

If you can have the mobility you want and the power available at home on your external monitor when you need it...well, it's what a lot of people have been waiting for for a long time. Proper external GPU support like what we're seeing in TB3 can altogether eliminate the need for a desktop tower in ways only dreamed of before. Another reason why it's disappointing it is missing on this very nice Surface Book 2.

Just feels like a missed opportunity. One feature that many people would have really appreciated both today and tomorrow as more hardware supports the feature set.

Oh well I guess.

Nah man. Lots of people need a laptop as their primary computer and don't want to own or have to deal with a second desktop computer. That's why home docks have been a thing. That's why external GPUs have been a thing for a decade as people have tried creative methods to find ways to use external GPUs with their laptops (I used to frequent Notebookreview.com's forums and they had a whole section dedicated to this dating back to at least 2009).

If you can have the mobility you want and the power available at home on your external monitor when you need it...well, it's what a lot of people have been waiting for for a long time. Proper external GPU support like what we're seeing in TB3 can altogether eliminate the need for a desktop tower in ways only dreamed of before. Another reason why it's disappointing it is missing on this very nice Surface Book 2.

Just feels like a missed opportunity. One feature that many people would have really appreciated both today and tomorrow as more hardware supports the feature set.

Oh well I guess.
Is it a space issue or just too lazy to maintain 2 computers issue? I love laptops and I have like 4 of them I use. But if I felt the urge to game on PC again, I would build a proper desktop.

Also, as a rule, I would NEVER game on a machine I rely on to make money with. Terrible terrible idea. First of all, Steam and modern games are fucking storage hogs. I don't want to spend $$$ on fast PCIe SSD on my laptop and have Steam and few games kill most of the space on it.

giga

Most external hard drives top out at 100MB/s transfer speeds. Even USB 3.0 (half the speed of USB 3.1) is more than enough for that. Even if you own an expensive external SSD from Samsung (~400MB/s), you are still amply covered by USB 3.0.

Even the fastest phones don't have internal storage faster than Samsung external SSD right now. iPhones come close, but the lightening port isn't TB3 compliant so it's rather moot. Most phones only give you USB 2.0 connection through their ports anyways.
The Samsung T5 goes up to 540 MB read. That’s saturated the 3.0 real life spec. So it’s no wonder it uses 3.1 gen 2.

Guess Who

Banned
All I'm saying is if you already have 1060 in your laptop, 1070 or 1080 in a eGPU is a shitty return on your investment, and getting marginal improvements over the 1060 experience. If you have an Intel GPU in your laptop, that's another thing altogether and eGPU becomes arguably a decent option.

I guess (hell, I still don’t really agree), but then there are models of this with Intel graphics and 1050s, so that’s still applicable to this machine!

Sure, but it's still a clumsy and wasteful solution since 1080 + eGPU is like over $800. Might as well spend $500 more and build a proper gaming desktop.

This is both more money and less convenient, since you now have an entire second computer to deal with.

Like Guess Who and Dreams-Visions have said, a lot of people (me included) would rather have one, capable computer than multiple computers for multiple scenarios. Besides, if you're going to spend money on a premium notebook like this, might as well have it be capable of being your main.

This is why the lack of Thunderbolt and the use of an inferior CPU (U quad core at $2.5K) make Microsoft's comparisons to the MBP all the more baffling to me. They clearly have different priorities than Apple as the 15" MBPs actually have HQ CPUs - with the fortunate side effect of being able to keep decent Turbo speeds for extended periods of time when paired with an eGPU due to the extra thermal headroom provided by the lack of dGPU utilization.

The idea of a premium, thin and light notebook with a powerful CPU (for a notebook) that I can plug into an eGPU when I want to game and be less CPU-limited than by your average notebook is appealing to me, and is why I'm moving away from my desktop rig and to a MBP (or whatever notebook checks the boxes I want better than it) when I graduate and have the money. By that time it'll probably have PCIe 4.0-based Thunderbolt 4, making the bottlenecks even less of a concern.

The Samsung T5 goes up to 540 MB read. That’s saturated the 3.0 real life spec. So it’s no wonder it uses 3.1 gen 2.

Yeah, USB does have a lot of CPU dependency that eats from the theoretical bandwidth limit.

Personally, instead of getting a full SATA 3 speed external SSD, I would probably build my own external SSD from 2242 M.2 drives for less speed, but much smaller and cheaper.

Obi

Neo Member
Can you charge the Surface Book using the USB C port? It would sure be nice to have less chargers to carry around.

taybul

I really wish they'd let you customize the hardware on these things. I would probably only require the least amount of onboard disk space but want to max out the rest of the specs. Flash memory gets exponentially more expensive the higher you go.

This is both more money and less convenient, since you now have an entire second computer to deal with.

Why are folks so against maintaining more than one computer? Am I crazy for thinking that redundancy is not only good, but crucial? If you depend on your computer for a living like I do, having only one functional machine is like playing with fire IMO.

Considering a 1080 is nearly twice as fast as a 1060 and that notebook 1060s aren't clocked as fast as the desktop counterparts as far as I know, I find it hard to believe in that "marginal" descriptor, even when considering TB3 bottlenecking.

Why are folks so against maintaining more than one computer? Am I crazy for thinking that redundancy is not only good, but crucial? If you depend on your computer for a living like I do, having only one functional machine is like playing with fire IMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I could give multiple, small reasons but I know most of them have some kind of solution. You could say it's something irrational and just feels right.

Considering a 1080 is nearly twice as fast as a 1060 and that notebook 1060s aren't clocked as fast as the desktop counterparts as far as I know, I find it hard to believe in that "marginal" descriptor, even when considering TB3 bottlenecking.

I tend to judge all performance gains in terms of value. I just simply can't justify the cost of eGPU for the gains. If enclosures were like $100~$150, I would be in your camp probably. but $300~500 is a none starter IMO.

Izuna

Banned
Going to read into this, but I'm expecting to be disappointed in the specs.

No way would I pay such money for power end GPU again.

Edit: 1060?! Whoa wait a fucking minute!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can you charge the Surface Book using the USB C port? It would sure be nice to have less chargers to carry around.

The Verge said it accepts power through USB-C. However, it ships with a 90+ watt power adapter for the standard connection. The 15" MBP is only 87W. So that one would work, but it would be a bit slower than the included adapter.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, so I might go from a 1070 HP Omen to the 1060 one, depending on how the 8650U performs.

EDIT: eh, no thunderbolt is a fucking mistake

meh, close but not good enough.

I tend to judge all performance gains in terms of value. I just simply can't justify the cost of eGPU for the gains. If enclosures were like $100~$150, I would be in your camp probably. but $300~500 is a none starter IMO.

Yeah, the enclosure price is definitely something I hope drops by the time I make my switch - it will likely happen as eGPUs become more popular and because Intel is making Thunderbolt available to third parties with no royalties.

Going by track record, Surface line has too much reliability issues. Lenovos, HP and Dell for instance are much more reliable in the 2 in 1 space.

Just speaking from an IT perspective, we bought Lenovo Thinkpads for everyone four years ago, and the amount of repairs that had to be done dropped drastically when we swapped them with Surface Pro 3s or 4s. A small test group for sure. Dell is the only PC maker with the XPS line that has put out computers that my users are as happy with as they are with Surfaces.

grmlin

I'm not so much into CPU specs anymore, are the i7quad cores real quadcores or low voltage Ultrabook CPUs?
What I basically want to know is, if ty hey would be as powerful also the ones in the MBPs.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
idunno. Im sitting here with my person laptop, a Dell XPS 15 connected to two 27" 4k monitors, then i have my other jobs laptop which is a HP elite book and then some side work gave me a laptop and its a really old hp elitebook. I dont have any problems with this many laptops

Just speaking from an IT perspective, we bought Lenovo Thinkpads for everyone four years ago, and the amount of repairs that had to be done dropped drastically when we swapped them with Surface Pro 3s or 4s. A small test group for sure. Dell is the only PC maker with the XPS line that has put out computers that my users are as happy with as they are with Surfaces.
yea i spent years supporting hp, dell & lenovo equipment in Operating System Deployment scenarios with MS SCCM, Dell is the best for driver support, HP a distance second and Lenovo might as well be a did not compete. I dont know that you could pay me to use a lenovo. My main job sent me one, i use my dell instead.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
idunno. Im sitting here with my person laptop, a Dell XPS 15 connected to two 27" 4k monitors, then i have my other jobs laptop which is a HP elite book and then some side work gave me a laptop and its a really old hp elitebook. I dont have any problems with this many laptops

yea i spent years supporting hp, dell & lenovo equipment in Operating System Deployment scenarios with MS SCCM, Dell is the best for driver support, HP a distance second and Lenovo might as well be a did not compete. I dont know that you could pay me to use a lenovo. My main job sent me one, i use my dell instead.

Work just took my old workhorse of a Dell and replaced it with a Lenovo T460s.

Garbage. My two connected monitors work only about 80% of the time, lol

This eats Wacom's Mobilestudio line for breakfast, damn. Only reason to get one of those devices instead of the equivalent MS device is if you have to have a Wacom pen rather than the perfectly decent Ntrig tech...

The MS site doesn't seem to have the 15" up yet, but $1979 for the lowest spec 13.5" model, then almost $700 dollars more for an i7 and a 2gb GTX 1050? Yikes, that's way too much

The MS site doesn't seem to have the 15" up yet, but $1979 for the lowest spec 13.5" model, then almost $700 dollars more for an i7 and a 2gb GTX 1050? Yikes, that's way too much

Uhhh, everything's up. Check the link I posted above and click the configure button. 1499 for the base 13.5 inch, but that only comes with an intel gpu. The 15 is certainly better priced imo.

Top Bottom