• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Zedark

The over 1.3 million statement that Nintendo made includes digital sales.

It literally says it right there in Anihawks post above.

We know 900k physical on switch. we know 925k physical and digital on switch.

We know 460k physical and digital on wii u. we do not know Wii U physical only.
You're right, I misread the asterisk to say 1.3 million was NPD while the separate numbers were the numbers with digital included, but that's not what it said after taking a second look. I'm not sure what the typical digital ratio for the Wii U is, so I'm not sure if the 400k physical would be a realistic prediction, but in the end the digital+physical number that we do have is the most important data.

Guymelef

Edit: wrong quote.

Disappointing position for HZD. Was hoping it would be higher.[/QUOTE

This is like coming on Red Dead Revolver, Call of Duty and FIFA release month and say that one of them has a dissapointing position even if it sells 39M.

Scrawnton

The person was insinuating Horizon was lacking digital sales and with them Horizon could possibly be higher or closer to Zelda. I pointed out that Zelda also wasn't factoring in digital sales.

Want to add anything more than just "And...?" to what I was obviously pointing out?

Fdkn

So regarding that snarky Zelda vs Horizon comment earlier in the thread, we now can confirm that Horizon sold more than Zelda on Switch, but Zelda having two platforms gave it the edge overall.

Depending on Wildlands ps4 performance, Horizon could be the higher selling sku of the month too.

Mohonky

So regarding that snarky Zelda vs Horizon comment earlier in the thread, we now can confirm that Horizon sold more than Zelda on Switch, but Zelda having two platforms gave it the edge overall.

Depending on Wildlands ps4 performance, Horizon could be the higher selling sku of the month too.

Well.......2 platforms that combined are still less than that of the platform Horizon was on.

Fdkn

Well.......2 platforms that combined are still less than that of the platform Horizon was on.

Well... a new ip vs the biggest hardcore focused ip from Nintendo.

I didn't start the comparison anyway, just pointed out the outcome because there were wrong statements made before.

LordKano

I must have missed something. Where did we have confirmation that Horizon sold more than 900k ?

EGM1966

Disappointing position for HZD. Was hoping it would be higher.
Not to be snarky but why was anyone hoping anything for ZD? Sony publicly announced global initial sales so its performance profile was known.

It's a new IP and SP only: frankly over 1M in US is a terrific result for single console exclusive.

I mean it's nice to hope for good performance but expecting way over reasonable performance when hard data is known just strikes me as odd.

Not to be snarky but why was anyone hoping anything for ZD? Sony publicly announced global initial sales so its performance profile was known.

It's a new IP and SP only: frankly over 1M in US is a terrific result for single console exclusive.

I mean it's nice to hope for good performance but expecting way over reasonable performance when hard data is known just strikes me as odd.
????

This Sam Nagini guy is going to get fired by the time he wakes up tomorrow. I bet Sony and MS are calling his bosses right now. lol

I mean it's a great surprise but that came out of nowhere. And i bet Sony doesnt like people questioning their worldwide sales figures of 2.6 million when it sold only 600k in NA. i dont think Sony would lie about this but man it doesnt look good.

Wildlands outselling Horizon is fucking bizarre too. people love their shooters. i just dont know how you can pick drug cartels over mother fucking Dinobots.

Faith in Humanity: -1

My name is Sam Naji not Nagini and why should I get fired ?. Numbers are numbers are numbers. NPD does not take sides, we just report on the business impartially.

DR2K

Banned

Horizon was also competing with just about every game on its platform, which is about the entire list on NPD. Not everyone gets the luxury of having 1-2 Switch, Bomberman, and Just Dance as your only competition.

You're right, I misread the asterisk to say 1.3 million was NPD while the separate numbers were the numbers with digital included, but that's not what it said after taking a second look. I'm not sure what the typical digital ratio for the Wii U is, so I'm not sure if the 400k physical would be a realistic prediction, but in the end the digital+physical number that we do have is the most important data.

No worries.

Seems it was just confusion. Apologies for originally saying you must have made it up.

Ashtar

That's doubtful considering ghost recon sold more than horizon in ps4 even with a 60-40 split which is unlikely given the lack of Xbox options ghost recon sold more most likely

RE7 being under 1.4 million ltd is... not so good.

Why? RE6 opened at 806k at October.

Oh it's over 1mm

What an incredible month

Wow. A new IP over 1 million is so rare. Incredible success.

I can't remember when was the last month outside Christmas that 4 new releases debuted selling above 1 million units. I know reading John Harker post that Mass Effect Andromeda is a bit below that mark, but still impressive nonetheless.

Also, it looks like Nier: Automata could be in the 200,000 range based on it being above 1-2 Switch and Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5. Since these charts are by revenue + digital it is hard to measure units sales. 172,000 for 1-2 Switch but it is cheaper than Nier: Automata so if this chart was by units maybe the placements would be a bit different. But well, at least we can say that its debut is miles ahead of Nier which couldn't even reach 20,000 units between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Shout out to that PC fan who couldn't fathom Nier PS4 selling near 800k WW. Its at near 500k with just JP and US, without digital (?) lol

Zedark

Thanks ! We don't have Zelda digital ratio but I doubt it sold 10% more, considering Nintendo's userbase. Horizon probably outsold the Switch version of Zelda.
We know digital+physical on Switch adds up to 925k, as we learned from Nintendo's press release a few days ago.

Why? RE6 opened at 806k at October.

Wow. A new IP over 1 million is so rare. Incredible success.

Shout out to that PC fan who couldn't fathom Nier PS4 selling near 800k WW. Its at near 500k with just JP and US, without digital (?) lol

You're aware that these numbers are seemingly PC+PS4 ?

Forkball

Nintendo back on top baby. Nintendo fans need to start making arrogant gifs to spam in NPD threads once more. THE TIME HAS COME

I can see Zelda being the GTA V of the Switch in that it will be "that game you but when you pick up a new console". I can see it having incredible legs throughout the entire year.

Saty

Hey Sam, question on Steam tracking:

Is there any outlook for tracking more than the current slate of top publishers? What about all the European publishers? Mid-to-small self published companies? Indie devs?
Does the NPD actively seek to include all these PC developers or are you focusing only on the big-name mega publishers? Do you get approached by studios that want to share their Steam US data with you?

Also, is it possible to have Physical+Steam Top 10 PC ranking like for all the other platforms?

Yjynx

My name is Sam Naji not Nagini and why should I get fired ?. Numbers are numbers are numbers. NPD does not take sides, we just report on the business impartially.
The post that you replied to is a good indicator on how invested some poster on their console of choice. Can be quite annoying despite it'd have no effect on you or whatsoever.

Depending on Wildlands ps4 performance, Horizon could be the higher selling sku of the month too

Nop...

XBO
1. Wildlands
2. ME Andromeda
3. For Honor
4. NBA 2K17
5. GTA V
6. COD IW
7. BF1
8. Halo Wars 2
9. Overwatch
10. Forza Horizon 3

PS4
1. Wildlands
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. ME Andromeda
4. MLB 17 The Show
5. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
6. Nier: Automata
7. GTA V
8. NBA 2K17
9. For Honor
10. COD IW

YTD
1. Wildlands
2. For Honor
3. Zelda
4. RE 7
5. ME Andromeda
6. GTA V
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. COD IW
9. NBA 2K17
10. BF1

12ME Mar'17
1. COD IW
2. BF1
3. NBA 2K17
4. Madden 17
5. GTA V
6. Overwatch
7. FIFA 17
8. FF XV
9. Wildlands
10. Dark Souls 3

The Zelda Vs Horizon wars are still in full swing I see.

Truly one of the more baffling rivalries I've witnessed as of late in the gaming landscape. Open-world, competing platforms, released around the same time...

431af246-5bb9-44c5-ae34-ff5a81a9a120.gif

00ich

So HZD sold 600k in an entire month...

>200k Germany
>200k UK
>200k Japan
>600k USA

That's ~1350k in a month but it supposedly sold 3M in two weeks

Ok, assuming I'm buying every number here. So where the sales at? Did other markets sneak up in importance? Do we have a large digital-only faction in Tier 2 countries?
Is any of that representative for Sony or the game market in general?

RossoneR

Banned
No DD on Zelda too and not even close...

I highly doubt zelda managed any huge DD numbers let alone 40%. ( there s not enough switches to expect any big numbers)
If i understand hzd outsold zelda on switch but overall zelda sold more. Horizon was competing with bunch of high profile games compared to zelda. How s that not close?

Overall great month, i just dont get love for UBI games.

Zedark

Lmao PC physical. Just take the L and move on mate. You (expectedly) thought the PS4 SKU could not sell magnitudes better than the PC SKU. You were wrong.
Square Enix does participate in the digital tracking program for NPD, so digital Steam sales are included I believe.

Top Bottom